***Official AAMC Practice Exams Discussion Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the free practice test and I had a few questions. How does it compare to the other tests available? I didnt think it was too bad particularly with verbal and p.s. I ended up with a 10 on verbal and 11 on p.s. Most of my verbal mistakes were downright stupid and I took the p.s without any studying really just to get a feel for it. Somebody told me though that this was the easiest test and I should have gotten at the very least above a 12 on both of those sections to even consider getting above a 10 on the real thing. I am taking the actual mcat may 27th. I changed it from mid april so that I can study more. My biggest strength is P.S. I just finished engineering so im very confortable with those types of questions. My biggest weakness is the biological sciences. I have only taken biology 1 and 2 and by the time the mcat rolls around I would have finished o chem 1 and barely started o chem 2. My strategy for the biology is mainly to use EK with some other sources on any subjects that give me a harder time. Is this a wise idea? I took the biology courses AGES ago and to be honest I dont remember any of the stuff with respect to physiology and body parts. What do you guys recommend with respect to how I should approach studying for this test.

Members don't see this ad.

The "R" I believe stands for "revised." correct me if i'm wrong....

3 was the original version--probably first published years ago.

3R is more newly published--containing new and revised content to more accurately reflect the modern mcat.

modern mcat--nice huh? :smuggrin:

is the content "new and revised" or are passages just edited/cut out to fit the CBT format?

Members don't see this ad :)
the content is not new and revised, if it was, then it would be a completely different test. Its just a shortned version of the test to make up for the new number of questions and the time you have to complete it.

Hello everybody,
I just took the AAMC free online practice MCAT (number 3). I used it as my diagnostic test. I scored a 25 (13 VR, 6 BS, 6 PS). Has anybody else taken this? Also, many people seem to have a hard time with VR and are better at BS and PS. I'm just the opposite. Anybody else have this problem

whats your background? like do you read alot for fun? English major?

One of the doctors i shadowed was an english teacher for 4 years before he decided that it sucked and he wanted to be a doctor. He said he actually enjoyed doing VR and reading the passages.

whats your background? like do you read alot for fun? English major?

One of the doctors i shadowed was an english teacher for 4 years before he decided that it sucked and he wanted to be a doctor. He said he actually enjoyed doing VR and reading the passages.

I'm not an English major but I do enjoy reading. I actually have a degree in Biology (animal biology, though). I would rather do Verbal Reasoning a thousand times than do one of the other sections! I really do enjoy it. That being said, I'm not a great writer or very good at grammar. I'm not working too hard on the writing section though; I'd rather spend my time on other subjects. I don't know why I do so well on them. I just hope I can improve my other scores too. It's looking better now that I know what to study. I knew many of the concepts but couldn't remember formulas, exact steps ect.

Just took #4, 10/7/9 :mad: I can't tell you how angry and motivating this is. I've been following the examkrackers approach for verbal, and I think i am switching to the Kaplan. My PS went up 3 points, bio stayed the same, but verbal went down 3, for a total zero net gain!!!

Someone give me some encouraging words please! I am about to do verbal passages till my eyes bleed!

can i ask everybody when are they taking the MCAT? I am taking it on may 10 and i am scared :scared:

I just took my very first aamc practice 3R and did horrible, so bad I don't even want to say my score. Just wanted to know if everybody bombed their first one or if it's just me and should lose hope scoring high enough. :( I am about 3/4 of the way through the EK home study guide so some stuff I hadn't gone over yet.

I am guessing most of the people here started out in the low 20's, but don't let that get to you. Just take a deep breath and go at it again tomorrow. You might have to review the material cold several times before you start hitting decent scores.:thumbup:

I just took my very first aamc practice 3R and did horrible, so bad I don't even want to say my score. Just wanted to know if everybody bombed their first one or if it's just me and should lose hope scoring high enough. :( I am about 3/4 of the way through the EK home study guide so some stuff I hadn't gone over yet.
Use lots of practice tests. The material isn't that hard, its the way that the material is presented, so practice makes perfect! Getting used to, and taking advantage of, how the material is presented to you is the hardest part, IMHO.

Just realize that you dont have to score over a 30 to become a Doctor. A 25 will open lots of doors.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll go up. It is disheartening, but use it as motivation. I started at a 20 on a kaplan diagnostic and a 21 on aamc. Just recently I got a 30....then the next week I got a 22. Going over the exam, I realized I missed entire chunks because I was slow and didn't read well. The 30 got me cocky and I paid for it.

seriously. dont worry. i took my first princeton review diagnostic and got an 18. i took the real mcat after the course and got a 30T. u'll be fine.

The AAMC tests are easier than Kaplan and TPR's practice material. I always did slightly better on AAMC than on Kaplan's practice tests. I never like EKs material.

It's not that big a deal. You should keep taking practice tests/passages though because I know that even with studying, the format and the way the questions were asked screwed me up for a while.

https://services.aamc.org/Publicati...log.displayProductList&queryType=TC&chr_id=22

It says we can get AAMC 3 (free), 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

and then it says you can buy "MCAT practice test 6R with solutions" now is 6R has SAME QUESTIONS as AAMC CBT 6????? also it says we can get practice test 8 and 9 ..do these have SAME QUESTIONS as AAMC CBT 8 and 9 respectively??

They have the same questions and MORE questions. CBTs 3 - 9 (I think) all used to be paper an pencil exams that the AAMC chopped down to make into CBTs. When you see '#R', that 'R' means its the long-version, old-style MCAT.

They have the same questions and MORE questions. CBTs 3 - 9 (I think) all used to be paper an pencil exams that the AAMC chopped down to make into CBTs.

Well, what would you suggest doing then? I am looking to get my hands on as many practice tests as possible. But I dont want to do paper tests first if the questions are the same as AAMC CBTs. That would defeat the purpose of practicing CBT style. Don't bother with paper ones then?

I really think it's worthwhile to get the CBTs if you have the money.. it'll be well worth it

Only saying this cus.. the first time I took the MCAT, the AAMC CBTs had a different format.. and I tend to panic easily, so I got freaked out by the real MCATs format. Different colors, different buttons, different alignment etc..

But now, they've updated the CBTs and made them exactly like the real MCAT. Everything's the same... it really helped me relax.. almost felt like I was taking a practice test the second time I took the MCAT.

By the way, on the real MCAT is the time displayed on screen? hope time is not right in front of you..it can freak you out??

how is the time displayed?

I really think it's worthwhile to get the CBTs if you have the money.. it'll be well worth it

Only saying this cus.. the first time I took the MCAT, the AAMC CBTs had a different format.. and I tend to panic easily, so I got freaked out by the real MCATs format. Different colors, different buttons, different alignment etc..

But now, they've updated the CBTs and made them exactly like the real MCAT. Everything's the same... it really helped me relax.. almost felt like I was taking a practice test the second time I took the MCAT.

They did that? Good to know. I was pissed as hell when I saw that my real MCAT was different. I didn't really phase me, but the thought of why AAMC would do that definitely annoyed me...

Just took the old paper based AAMC #7. Did excellent! Although I took an extra 10 min on the verbal. I feel like the timing is very different on the paper based verbal than with the CBT one. I did finish the BS and PS with like 25 min to spare, and didn't do the writing. My score was great though, good confidence booster.

I will be taking AAMC 8 CBT under simulated test conditions this weekend.

Do these practice tests give explanations of the answers after you've taken it? I think I'm gonna retake the MCAT (27Q, 27O), but this time, I'm going to take more practice tests. I would love explanations!

Yes they do. The feedback is not as detailed as say a Kaplan practice test as far as what sort of questions you tend to miss and that kind of thing but they do provide explinations for the right answer. Additionally, they aren't as good as Kaplan also because they don't do as good a job of explaining incorrect answers in my opinion. Still they are solid, and if you study them enough you will improve your score. I know they are helping me for sure. Good luck.

I read from Vihadas guy that AAMC 3-10 are good to take. what's wrong AAMC 1-2?? Just want to know so I don't waste $60 or whatever on those two. thanks!

I read from Vihadas guy that AAMC 3-10 are good to take. what's wrong AAMC 1-2?? Just want to know so I don't waste $60 or whatever on those two. thanks!

well you know, 1&2 woud be great to take if you could find them.

I have them and they're not that great... also they do not sell them anymore from the AAMC (at least to my knowledge). They are also paper-based instead of computer (which is the format you will be taking). They are easier, longer, and less useful. So good luck.

P.S. If you are going to buy the AAMCs individually, I would recommend buying the later ones (7-10), b/c they are more accurate.

well you know, 1&2 woud be great to take if you could find them.

I heard the aamc had slipped in subliminal messages in the passages brainwashing future doctors into primary care :scared:...needless to say it was kept quiet once figured out, but the tests were removed...

I heard the aamc had slipped in subliminal messages in the passages brainwashing future doctors into primary care :scared:...needless to say it was kept quiet once figured out, but the tests were removed...

Oh no! I am forever doomed in becoming a primary care physician! Can't... Resist.... Subliminal messages tell me that I Must.... Become... Primary care physician! Please help me! :eek:

Oh no! I am forever doomed in becoming a primary care physician! Can't... Resist.... Subliminal messages tell me that I Must.... Become... Primary care physician! Please help me! :eek:

I'm sorry there is very little that can done at this point. I have heard some possible treatments options include obtaining check stubs of primary care physicians and starring at them while visualizing yourself trying to pay off student loans on that kind of salary. :laugh:

I'm kidding of course, nobody send me hateful messages! :p

Just took CBT 8, did very well. A lot of the stuff on the PS section was stuff I haven't reviewed yet, but I got most of those questions right. Probably a good thing as it shows I can eliminate wrong answers and guess pretty effectively.

just took aamc 3 (10/10/9) dont kno if i should start freaking out yet, not anywhere near my target but i take in may...but ive been studying harcore since jan and ive taken kap full lengths...ugh....and the bio seemed kinda hard, but i still wasnt expecting a 9...

ugh

When you click the "exhibit" button for the periodic table to come up, on the real test does that window stay in on your taskbar at the bottom of the screen? The AAMC3 practice test i'm reading right now says to hit close out of it when you're done with it and then just hit the "exhibit" button again later if you need it again. It warns you that once you press it it may take a few moments for it to pop up. Basically, this is if your test site has slow *** computers it'll take longer for it to load. BUT, if at the test site the periodic table has its own window that opens up, then you can just minimize it rather than close it. that way it wouldnt have to reload everything. you could just restore the already opened one from the bottom...so how is it on test day? does it come up in its own seperate window or is it a window that opens up within the program? if it opens within the program, then this idea fails haha. thanks

When you click the "exhibit" button for the periodic table to come up, on the real test does that window stay in on your taskbar at the bottom of the screen? The AAMC3 practice test i'm reading right now says to hit close out of it when you're done with it and then just hit the "exhibit" button again later if you need it again. It warns you that once you press it it may take a few moments for it to pop up. Basically, this is if your test site has slow *** computers it'll take longer for it to load. BUT, if at the test site the periodic table has its own window that opens up, then you can just minimize it rather than close it. that way it wouldnt have to reload everything. you could just restore the already opened one from the bottom...so how is it on test day? does it come up in its own seperate window or is it a window that opens up within the program? if it opens within the program, then this idea fails haha. thanks

You won't have the the taskbar on the test day. The real test will be just like the AAMC pratice tests minus a few functionalities. Unless if the test center is being cheap and still has Pentium 3/AMD K6 or older computers, I doubt the MCAT software will be too much for the computers to handle.

okay that verbal was WAY harder than the kaplan verbal i took a few months ago! wtf!! haha on kaplan i missed 3 i think. on this one i missed 10-15 hahaha wtf. i dont know the passages were stupid...the one on confucius was ehhh...

was this realistic to the real verbal? maybe sometimes you'll get some passages you completely get lost and confused by? somewhat about luck on the difficulty of the passage topics?

i haven't actually reviewed what i missed yet but yeah...yikes! haha
anyone else run into a wtf moment with this aamc3 verbal? haha thanks

i haven't seen the actual score yet from AAMC3 since i haven't done the bio but...missing the amount i missed according to the kaplan test will give me a 5! hahaha wtf! i got a 12 on the kaplan one. i did take the kaplan one on paper tho. this was my first CBT. i dont know...i think CBT is worse than paper...constant concentration on the screen hurts your eyes and head

It is much better practice then kaplan. It is pretty predictive of the real one, except for mine the passages were significantly longer.

should i buy aamc7-10 or just aamc8-10? i'm finding mixed opinions on AAMC7 on these forums when i searched through some older posts. thanks

it says "This product has been added to your account. Your access expires after Wednesday, March 04, 2009." are you ****ing kidding me?? you get it for one day?? is the one they send in the mail paper form or CBT on a dvd/cd? thanks

it says "This product has been added to your account. Your access expires after Wednesday, March 04, 2009." are you ****ing kidding me?? you get it for one day?? is the one they send in the mail paper form or CBT on a dvd/cd? thanks

Um, March 4, 2009 would be one year from today, which is March 4, 2008. ;):p

hahaha...sorry!! yea i just realized that right after i hit submit. i was already pissed off about having to pay $35 for one practice test that i jumped the gun even further when i read the "March 4th." hahaha okay ill cool it. :) time to take the test.

funny thing is i just called aamc too to start bitching about how much a ripoff that was! thank god their customer service was closed! that would have been the lowpoint of my life hahaha

ignore this thread! delete it, moderator!!