*official* Amcas 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump? when do secondaries arrive?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all--quick question about volunteering and physician shadowing.

I plan on volunteering at a hospice and shadowing physicians beginning in August. Should I list this under the extracurricular activies on the AMCAS now, or should I wait until I actually start and then update my application, if possible?

I thought maybe I could list it now and put "ask me about this" and then just update it when I get more info.

I haven't done physician shadowing due to full-time work/college, but my schedule clears up in august, is the reason for all this.

Thank you,
bodi

bump..... anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, have you made all the arrangements yet? If not, don't put it. I'm not sure what to do if it's all set up.

I think lots of people will have additional things to add to secondaries or on interviews. I'll have a new job (clinical) to add to secondaries, and hopefully an A in second semester physics (which I didn't take undergrad) for interviews. So I think it's fine to leave things out and address them later.

If everything is arranged, you might just put that you're going to be doing volunteer and shadowing starting in August, and put where and how much you're planning on doing.

Thanks tigress.

The arrangements are not set up, yet. I hate to leave it out because I only have four EC's, otherwise. On the other hand it will give me something to write about on secondaries.

Hi.

I just got verified. How do we find out how AMCAS calculated our GPA? Where do we find it? Thanks.

ohlala said:
Hi.

I just got verified. How do we find out how AMCAS calculated our GPA? Where do we find it? Thanks.

um, my guess is you log in, go to main menu, click "print application" and you will see the computations in those tables that show your GPA's (i think it's like page 3 or something)

ohlala said:
Hi.

Click Print Application on the main AMCAS screen, then goto page 4.

My verified AMCAS GPA is 3.58, versus my cum. undergrad. GPA of 3.64. I notice it's because of the college classes I took in senior year of high school. Is it supposed to be factored in like this, or did I do something wrong?

Also, are schools really going to hold this against me? I'd hate to think I worked so hard in undergrad. only to have my senior year of high school hurt me in the end. Do schools look to see what your AMCAS GPA consists of?
:(
Thanks in advance!

crzynikki said:
My verified AMCAS GPA is 3.58, versus my cum. undergrad. GPA of 3.64. I notice it's because of the college classes I took in senior year of high school. Is it supposed to be factored in like this, or did I do something wrong?

Also, are schools really going to hold this against me? I'd hate to think I worked so hard in undergrad. only to have my senior year of high school hurt me in the end. Do schools look to see what your AMCAS GPA consists of?
:(
Thanks in advance!

If you look on your verified AMCAS, it should have the breakdown of high school, freshman, sophomore, junior, senior for your GPA. So the schools will be able to see where the lower GPA came from vs. the higher.

My AMCAS GPA is also lower than the one I graduated with from my college (3.65 vs. 3.678 -- not a huge difference, but a bit lower). I think this is true for many people. You're actually better off, because in my case (and probably many other people's ) the reduction comes from summer classes, and one class I took at a different institution but during a semester of college. So on AMCAS it just shows up as part of the college GPA, rather than it being obvious that it was not within our actual undergrad. (does that make any sense? lol)

TheDarkSide said:
I am working on completing my bachelor's right now, I'll be done in May (could have been December but I figured why rush it, it's not like I'm going to be doing anything else those few months). And I have about 160 credit hours :laugh: .

And I have been processed! Submitted ~11 pm June 20th, processed 3 om June 23rd. That's a pretty impressive turnaround time!

heh heh, that IS impressive. I submitted June first and it took them two weeks. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
tigress said:
If you look on your verified AMCAS, it should have the breakdown of high school, freshman, sophomore, junior, senior for your GPA. So the schools will be able to see where the lower GPA came from vs. the higher.

My AMCAS GPA is also lower than the one I graduated with from my college (3.65 vs. 3.678 -- not a huge difference, but a bit lower). I think this is true for many people. You're actually better off, because in my case (and probably many other people's ) the reduction comes from summer classes, and one class I took at a different institution but during a semester of college. So on AMCAS it just shows up as part of the college GPA, rather than it being obvious that it was not within our actual undergrad. (does that make any sense? lol)

Yes, that makes total sense!! Thanks, tigress! I feel better now. I just wanted to make sure adcoms would see that my GPA was lower because of those stupid high school courses at the local college, and not due to my actual undergrad. performance. Thank you again!

kaml20 said:
um should i have had my amcas filled out by now?

You should get it done as soon as possible if you are applying this cycle. June 1st is the first day submissions for AMCAS started. July 6th is the first day schools see your apps. mid July is when secondaries start. So you will want to get it done as soon as possible. The only time consuming thought provoking parts come from personal statement and activity descriptions. the rest is just tedious busy work kind of stuff.

OK whew, I just spent the last two hours on and off reading through this thread. Wow, talk about getting your reading endurance up for the mcat lol. Ok heres my question.

For the course work section they want all the courses listed that you will be taking in the future correct. Im fine with the fall semester because I have already registered for those classes however in the spring semester I only have one core requirement to take and the rest are electives. I have no idea what electives I am going to take yet, do I just guess what I will be taking or should I leave it blank.

gotgame83 said:
OK whew, I just spent the last two hours on and off reading through this thread. Wow, talk about getting your reading endurance up for the mcat lol. Ok heres my question.

For the course work section they want all the courses listed that you will be taking in the future correct. Im fine with the fall semester because I have already registered for those classes however in the spring semester I only have one core requirement to take and the rest are electives. I have no idea what electives I am going to take yet, do I just guess what I will be taking or should I leave it blank.

Oh, no! Were we supposed to list our fall classes? I didn't since they weren't on my transcript and thought our transcripts had to exactly match what we entered. I assumed that there would be a place on the secondaries to list upcoming classes.

What did others do?

Dont get too excited yet. Im trying to find where i read something about listing future classes, damnit maybe that was on aacomas. I dunno its midnight and its late by my standards lol

I dunno, Im not sure if we were supposed to add our fall classes but under "special course types" it says "current/future" so i guess i thought that meant our fall classes so I put those because I am already registered for them. But yea im not going to put spring because thats definitly not on my transcrips, what was i thinking lol

This might have been addressed already. but my computer is super slow tonight and I sorta need a quick answer. so any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!

i forgot to include two classes that i took in my freshman summer semester in my course work session and AMCAS indicated them after they reviewed my application. Do I need to do anything, like clicking on "academic change request" and verify the classes? they were only pass/fail Or could I just do nothing about it?
Please advise!
Thanks!!

I think if AMCAS has already added them to your course work and your application has been verified you are okay.

You may list all of your future classes (Fall/Spring, etc) just as you listed your past classes. There is a checkbox for current/future classes at the bottom. It makes no difference if they are on your transcript or not.

I've been told to take a "best guess" on future classes. This is hardly going to make or break your application - don't sweat it too much! :)

SailCrazy said:
You may list all of your future classes (Fall/Spring, etc) just as you listed your past classes. There is a checkbox for current/future classes at the bottom. It makes no difference if they are on your transcript or not.

I've been told to take a "best guess" on future classes. This is hardly going to make or break your application - don't sweat it too much! :)

Thanks! I was trying to decide whether I should resubmit even though I've already been verified. Do you think it's worth it?

Otherwise, it's pretty obvious that I am still missing orgo lab and calc and that I am going to need to continue taking classes for at least one more term to finish up my classes! Hopefully, they'll ask if they want to know. I'm a post-bacc (not in a structured program) so having not posted my fall classes might make it seem as if I'm not taking any more classes.

titoincali said:
Thanks! I was trying to decide whether I should resubmit even though I've already been verified. Do you think it's worth it?

Otherwise, it's pretty obvious that I am still missing orgo lab and calc and that I am going to need to continue taking classes for at least one more term to finish up my classes! Hopefully, they'll ask if they want to know. I'm a post-bacc (not in a structured program) so having not posted my fall classes might make it seem as if I'm not taking any more classes.
I don't know about that one. I know that some school's will tell an applicant "you still need XYZ class in order to fulfill the prereq's." Maybe someone who's gone through the process already can let you know whether to resubmit or not...

I finally submitted yesterday morning

YAY

Hey guys...I need a quick answer, so PLEASE forgive me if this question has been asked already...my frustration with AMCAS is high tonight :mad: , and I don't think I can read all 30 pages of this thread.

Anyway, is it impossible to make separate paragraphs on your activities section? I tried putting blank line between paragraphs, but it just ends up as a funny-looking indent. Just wanna make sure it's not my fault if they have one big paragraph to look at... :scared: :eek: :confused:

Avalanche21 said:
Hey guys...I need a quick answer, so PLEASE forgive me if this question has been asked already...my frustration with AMCAS is high tonight :mad: , and I don't think I can read all 30 pages of this thread.

Anyway, is it impossible to make separate paragraphs on your activities section? I tried putting blank line between paragraphs, but it just ends up as a funny-looking indent. Just wanna make sure it's not my fault if they have one big paragraph to look at... :scared: :eek: :confused:
Yeah - I'm having the same problem!

The same double return that put a nice space between paragraphs on the personal statement only added like five spaces (no extra line) in the activities section. :(

If anyone knows how to "fix" that issue, please let us know ASAP!

just make everything into one big paragraph for each activity on the EC descriptions.

crazy_cavalier said:
just make everything into one big paragraph for each activity on the EC descriptions.
But I have such an emotional investment in my neatly arranged entries! :scared: :D

SailCrazy said:
But I have such an emotional investment in my neatly arranged entries! :scared: :D

give me a sample arranged entry and I will show you how you can turn it into a neatly arranged paragraph ;)

crazy_cavalier said:
give me a sample arranged entry and I will show you how you can turn it into a neatly arranged paragraph ;)
Ok, how do I keep these 3 totally different activities from ending up in one big paragraph?
(I even gave you one with plenty of extra characters to work with!)

Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network: Project Coordinator.
I worked independently with a representative from the Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network to organize and recruit student groups from UPenn to take part in neighborhood rejuvenation projects in various Philadelphia neighborhoods. This included three separate projects over two academic years.

Freshman Advising Program: Peer Advisor.
I served as an upper-class advisor to incoming freshman students at UPenn. This activity began in the summer before my senior year, and continued throughout the academic year.

Spruce Street Into The Streets (Community Outreach Program.)
As an optional part of freshman orientation, I participated in a variety of community service projects. Teams of University of Pennsylvania students participated in neighborhood development projects including playground refurbishing and building painting.

SailCrazy said:
Ok, how do I keep these 3 totally different activities from ending up in one big paragraph?
(I even gave you one with plenty of extra characters to work with!)

Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network: Project Coordinator.
I worked independently with a representative from the Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network to organize and recruit student groups from UPenn to take part in neighborhood rejuvenation projects in various Philadelphia neighborhoods. This included three separate projects over two academic years.

Freshman Advising Program: Peer Advisor.
I served as an upper-class advisor to incoming freshman students at UPenn. This activity began in the summer before my senior year, and continued throughout the academic year.

Spruce Street Into The Streets (Community Outreach Program.)
As an optional part of freshman orientation, I participated in a variety of community service projects. Teams of University of Pennsylvania students participated in neighborhood development projects including playground refurbishing and building painting.

Here's a proposal:

(1.) Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network: Project Coordinator (Spring 2003 to Fall 2004); I worked independently with a representative from the Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network to organize and recruit student groups from UPenn to take part in neighborhood rejuvenation projects in various Philadelphia neighborhoods. (2.) Freshman Advising Program: Peer Advisor (Summer 2003 to Summer 2004); I served as an upper-class advisor to incoming freshman students at UPenn. (3.) Spruce Street Into The Streets: Community Outreach Volunteer (Fall 2002); As an optional part of freshman orientation, I participated in a variety of community service projects. Teams of University of Pennsylvania students participated in neighborhood development projects including playground refurbishing and building painting.

805 characters total. Format will look neat and clean in the AMCAS I promise. Replace the dummy terms I put in the parantheses (i.e. (Spring 2003 to Fall 2004) ) but keep that format. You may also like the following arrangement better:

[1.] Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network: Project Coordinator (Spring 2003 to Fall 2004); I worked independently with a representative from the Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network to organize and recruit student groups from UPenn to take part in neighborhood rejuvenation projects in various Philadelphia neighborhoods. [2.] Freshman Advising Program: Peer Advisor (Summer 2003 to Summer 2004); I served as an upper-class advisor to incoming freshman students at UPenn. [3.] Spruce Street Into The Streets: Community Outreach Volunteer (Fall 2002); As an optional part of freshman orientation, I participated in a variety of community service projects. Teams of University of Pennsylvania students participated in neighborhood development projects including playground refurbishing and building painting.

if you like the firm, rugged brackets as outliners of the three distinct experiences.

For my 600th post, I extend sincere thanks from SailCrazy to crazy_cavalier on my final bit of AMCAS entry/formatting! :thumbup:

I think I'm going to reformat, sleep on it, proof-read over breakfast, and submit in the morning.

I can't wait to be done... until secondaries! :eek:

Good luck everyone! :luck:

crazy_cavalier said:

Ya, I decided to suck it up with one paragraph instead of messing with numbered statements. Thanks.

Avalanche21 said:
Ya, I decided to suck it up with one paragraph instead of messing with numbered statements. Thanks.
Not me... I've been working on it all night.

First I stated out numbering, but I wasn't sure if I should use the 1. (1) or [1] format. I tried them all and decided that letters would be better...

So I moved on to (a) (b) (c), but then thought that [a] [c] looked nicer.

Unfortunately I realized that I didn't want to diminish the importance of my experiences, and that capital letters were necessary. So I tried (A) (B)... and [A] ... those didn't look to good and A. B. C. just looked silly.

It was about that time that I realized that AMCAS doesn't like to use those letters anyway (they correspond to academic grades, etc.) so I switched them all to J-T. Then I was struck with the horrific realization that I'd assigned the lowest MCAT writing sample grades to my experiences. That simply was not acceptable!

I'm not sure what to do, so I think I'll wait several more days before submitting my application. That will allow me to post multiple identical threads in the Pre-Allo, Pre-Osteo, MD & DO forums so that I can collect a varitey of opinions before making such an important decision!

...but seriously, I just went with numbers and called it good. I'm doing my final, final read-through and will be submitting in minutes! :thumbup:

If only I weren't applying to WAY to many schools! :D

SailCrazy said:

First I stated out numbering, but I wasn't sure if I should use the 1. (1) or [1] format. I tried them all and decided that letters would be better...

Unfortunately I realized that I didn't want to diminish the importance of my experiences, and that capital letters were necessary. So I tried (A) (B)... and [A] ... those didn't look to good and A. B. C. just looked silly.

It was about that time that I realized that AMCAS doesn't like to use those letters anyway (they correspond to academic grades, etc.) so I switched them all to J-T. Then I was struck with the horrific realization that I'd assigned the lowest MCAT writing sample grades to my experiences. That simply was not acceptable!

I'm not sure what to do, so I think I'll wait several more days before submitting my application. That will allow me to post multiple identical threads in the Pre-Allo, Pre-Osteo, MD & DO forums so that I can collect a varitey of opinions before making such an important decision!

...but seriously, I just went with numbers and called it good. I'm doing my final, final read-through and will be submitting in minutes! :thumbup:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I'm screwed. When I applied the year before, AMCAS calculated my master's GPA to be 4.0 even though I had an A-. My school thus calculated it to be 3.98. So when writing my personal statement, when discussing the improvement in my academic record over my undergrad years, I mention the 4.0, assuming that AMCAS will again calculate it to be 4.0. However, my now verified AMCAS for 2006 calculated my GPA to be 3.98. Will this disparity in the AMCAS-calculated GPA and my ps negatively affect my application? I mean, such detail could suggest a careless attention to detail or misrepresentation. And in the real world, not paying attention to detail could cost the life of a patient.

If I were in your shoes I'd be stressing about it as you are.

Since I'm not in your shoes I can say that (in my uninformed opinion) while not ideal, it probably isn't going to make a huge difference.
grasshoppah said:
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I'm screwed. When I applied the year before, AMCAS calculated my master's GPA to be 4.0 even though I had an A-. My school thus calculated it to be 3.98. So when writing my personal statement, when discussing the improvement in my academic record over my undergrad years, I mention the 4.0, assuming that AMCAS will again calculate it to be 4.0. However, my now verified AMCAS for 2006 calculated my GPA to be 3.98. Will this disparity in the AMCAS-calculated GPA and my ps negatively affect my application? I mean, such detail could suggest a careless attention to detail or misrepresentation. And in the real world, not paying attention to detail could cost the life of a patient.

SailCrazy said:

lmfao. Sailcrazy, I don't know what's come over you the past day or two, but your posts are hysterical, and I for one would be ecstatic to have you as a classmate. :thumbup: :love: On the downside, I don't think you can fix the formatting issue for the activities section. I sent you a PM. Sorry. :oops:

I know this has been asked before but this thread is so long. What is the deal with AMCAS and paragraph indentations...I skipped and extra space between paragraphs...My essay looks like:

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq

Is that how its supposed to look when you print application. How do you get indentation?

I think the general consensus is to skip the indentions and just use the space between paragraphs. That's what I did and it came out looking good with no weird formatting issues.

princessd3 said:
I know this has been asked before but this thread is so long. What is the deal with AMCAS and paragraph indentations...I skipped and extra space between paragraphs...My essay looks like:

Is that how its supposed to look when you print application. How do you get indentation?

SailCrazy said:

:laugh: Hysterical. :laugh:

Congratulations on finishing!

Does AMCAS send an email when the application is verified or does one need to check online to find out? I'd prefer to avoid compulsive checking of the web site if I can. :)

rimanek said:
Does AMCAS send an email when the application is verified or does one need to check online to find out? I'd prefer to avoid compulsive checking of the web site if I can. :)

I got an email.

Thanks Q! Its amazing what a little sleep depravation, some stress, and a big sense of relief will do! :D

And with the path you're on, I'll consider myself lucky if I'm accepted to the school that you select! :thumbup:

Good luck!

...And thanks for the formating help. I think it worked out ok.
QofQuimica said:
lmfao. Sailcrazy, I don't know what's come over you the past day or two, but your posts are hysterical, and I for one would be ecstatic to have you as a classmate. :thumbup: :love: On the downside, I don't think you can fix the formatting issue for the activities section. I sent you a PM. Sorry. :oops:

titoincali said:
:laugh: Hysterical. :laugh:

Congratulations on finishing!
Thanks! I'm feeling good now - until all those secondaries start rolling in. :eek:

I feel like I've written enough already!

That worked for me on the personal statement, but the same "double return" in the activities section just put in a large space.

princessd3 said:

SailCrazy said:
Thanks! I'm feeling good now - until all those secondaries start rolling in. :eek:

I feel like I've written enough already!

Sail Crazy,

I said this elsewhere, but I LOVE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!!!!!! That's all.

Oh and good luck with the secondaries. Secondary season has officially started as of yestday.

gujuDoc said:
Sail Crazy,

I said this elsewhere, but I LOVE YOUR SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!!!!!! That's all.

Oh and good luck with the secondaries. Secondary season has officially started as of yestday.
Thanks! I'm hoping/planning to make good use of the thread with many of the secondary prompts listed so that I can get a jump on them.

We'll see how well that motivation holds up! :)