*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about when I should submit. I don't have any shadowing yet but I plan on getting some done soon. My MCAT and GPA are good (39, 3.9) and all my ECs can be found on my MDapps page. Should I wait until I shadow before I submit so I can add it to my AMCAS or should I submit and then send in update letters and talk about how I've done shadowing since submitting?

As a premedical student as well, I know my words don't hold much weight. However, I am in a similar situation to you (statwise, for the most part, and lacking shadowing) and have been told to submit asap.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are shadowing soon, you can list it as a future activity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need to put future coursework on the amcas?

Yes, you should, although you are not held in any way to those courses. Just list the classes you're planning to take next year, if any.
Dang it. I was hoping you would say no haha.

Has anyone had their school send transcripts out around the 24th of May and still not have them marked as "received"? Ugh! Should I be worried?

The website says they are marking received ones they received on June 3rd for the past couple of days so I feel like they are very backed up but this is just frustrating.

Theres no harm in sending an extra one just in case right?

Yes, you should, although you are not held in any way to those courses. Just list the classes you're planning to take next year, if any.

Am I at a disadvantage if I didn't list my future courses? I didn't think I was supposed to list them . . .

Am I at a disadvantage if I didn't list my future courses? I didn't think I was supposed to list them . . .

It's not required, but it's something the AMCAS instruction manual suggests you do. If you've completed all the pre-reqs for the schools you're applying to, then you should be fine, but if you were planning to take a pre-req (like another English class or biochem or something) after applying and before matriculation, that's something schools need to see.

Just a PSA for any enlisted/formerly enlisted applicants -- don't forget to submit your AARTS transcripts!

Has anyone had their school send transcripts out around the 24th of May and still not have them marked as "received"? Ugh! Should I be worried?

The website says they are marking received ones they received on June 3rd for the past couple of days so I feel like they are very backed up but this is just frustrating.

Theres no harm in sending an extra one just in case right?

Your school sent the transcripts out right before Memorial Day weekend, so it probably sat around in the postal service until the end of the following week. I don't think you should be worried at this point. Do you know how your school sends transcripts? If they sent it Fedex or something, they don't deliver to P.O. boxes, which is the destination address for the transcripts. Contact your school and ask how the transcripts were mailed.

Of course you can always send another one just to cover your bases.

Hi!
Sorry if they answered before, here are some questions that i have:

1. Where can you actually find out if your transcript was recieved?
2. Can you submit your application even before amcas don't recieve your transcripts?
3. Can you submit your application before you get your mcat scores? If so, is it wise to do so?

Thanks

Hello everyone, my PS is 5,299 characters with spaces! when i copy and paste it to the space in AMCAS application, it cuts 2 words from the end of it! I was wondering if anybody else has this problem or can give me any suggestion!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone, my PS is 5,299 characters with spaces! when i copy and paste it to the space in AMCAS application, it cuts 2 words from the end of it! I was wondering if anybody else has this problem or can give me any suggestion!

Enter counts as 2 characters which is why those are getting cut. You'll have to shorten it a little.

Hi!
Sorry if they answered before, here are some questions that i have:

1. Where can you actually find out if your transcript was recieved?
2. Can you submit your application even before amcas don't recieve your transcripts?
3. Can you submit your application before you get your mcat scores? If so, is it wise to do so?

Thanks

1. They send you an email. Also, when you first log in there is a link called "Transcript and Letter Receipt Details" that will tell you.
2. Yes, but you won't be put into the verification pool until your transcript is received.
3. I think so but the general consensus is to only add one school until you get your score because your school list will rely so heavily on it.

Last edited:
Question!

I just rechecked my post bac transcript and realized that they had changed my grade from fall quarter 2012 from a B to an A. I put it on my transcript as a B and this is the only grade error.

Would this hurt my verification? Will my application be returned back to me?

Question!

I just rechecked my post bac transcript and realized that they had changed my grade from fall quarter 2012 from a B to an A. I put it on my transcript as a B and this is the only grade error.

Would this hurt my verification? Will my application be returned back to me?

You can have up to 10 errors before it is returned back to you.

Just confirming- we can change schools at any point? Will i have to pay if I delete a school before July?

Oh good....That should be the only one.

If you have more than 10 and they return it back to you, do you have the opportunity to correct it and resubmit? Just curious.

Yes

Just confirming- we can change schools at any point? Will i have to pay if I delete a school before July?

Once you submit, you cannot remove schools from your AMCAS application. You will have to manually withdraw from that school, and you will not get the $33 or $35 or whatever back. You can always add on schools, but once you add a school, you cannot remove it.

I took the following from the important dates area of the AAMC website.

"June 28 - Initial data submission of 2014 AMCAS application data to medical schools"

From what I understand, the earlier the better. However, if I get my primary in before June 28, say June 27, will I be in that first batch of applicants provided I have everything in already?

Thanks,

apr27

I took the following from the important dates area of the AAMC website.

"June 28 - Initial data submission of 2014 AMCAS application data to medical schools"

From what I understand, the earlier the better. However, if I get my primary in before June 28, say June 27, will I be in that first batch of applicants provided I have everything in already?

Thanks,

apr27

No because after you submit your application AMCAS has to verify your transcripts which can take from what I understand between 3-6weeks depending on when you apply. So that June 28 date only applies to the first people who applied on June 10th

thank you for your help!

Another quick question- I shadowed a doctor for the summer and also was his "research assistant." Most of my time was spent shadowing, but i sometime got paid for doing literature searches. Should i put this as shadowing or research or a paid activity? 80% of the summer was shadowing..

So that June 28 date only applies to the first people who applied on June 10th

Not quite. People who submit during the first week are likely to be verified by June 28, not just people who submitted on June 10. The verification time grows exponentially as more and more people submit applications.

June 28 is simply the first day that schools can access verified AMCAS applications.

thank you for your help!

Another quick question- I shadowed a doctor for the summer and also was his "research assistant." Most of my time was spent shadowing, but i sometime got paid for doing literature searches. Should i put this as shadowing or research or a paid activity? 80% of the summer was shadowing..

If the majority of the time was spent shadowing, then list it as that, and explain what else you did in the description.

When I had a case like this (I had a volunteer/shadowing combo one) I labeled it as what I did more. Then in the title I called it blah blah Volunteer + Shadowing

Other people might have done something different. Another thing to consider is if you already are heavy on research or shadowing elsewhere on your application. You def want it to be as well rounded as possible

Hi!

Sorry if this has been asked before... but how long should I expect to be "Under Review" for before I get verified? I'm not worried that I won't make that initial deadline, but if I am under review for a while could there be a problem?

Thanks!

Hi!

Sorry if this has been asked before... but how long should I expect to be "Under Review" for before I get verified? I'm not worried that I won't make that initial deadline, but if I am under review for a while could there be a problem?

Thanks!

Stop worrying. They'll let you know if there is a problem.

This is referring to L.O.R.

My uni is sending a committee letter for me as well as a letter from a M.D.

I think the instruction say that if my uni. is going to send my letters all I need to do is put 1 entry for L.O.R. and title it as my uni.

Am I right or wrong?

Last edited:
I took 2 classes at a community college for the Winter Semester which ended on 5/24. Grades were not released until 5/30. I had requested that my transcript be sent (rush delivery) on 5/30, but there was an administrative error which resulted in my transcript not being mailed out until yesterday 6/12. Should I elect not to include those courses on my AMCAS and send update letters to schools rather than delaying my application by potentially several weeks?

Did anyone else request a transcript during the week of May 27th? Mine was sent via first class mail from a school in Virginia on 5/31. As of now AMCAS is processing transcripts received on 6/6, and mine has not been marked as received.

I have a hard time believing that a first-class mail delivery will take 6 days. Wanted to see what others have been experiencing.

How often does AMCAS lose or misplace transcripts? I know that USPS is very good about getting mails delivered.

Did anyone else request a transcript during the week of May 27th? Mine was sent via first class mail from a school in Virginia on 5/31. As of now AMCAS is processing transcripts received on 6/6, and mine has not been marked as received.

I have a hard time believing that a first-class mail delivery will take 6 days. Wanted to see what others have been experiencing.

How often does AMCAS lose or misplace transcripts? I know that USPS is very good about getting mails delivered.

Mine was sent out on May 28th and was received on June 10th so yours may be received Today or Monday?

I took 2 classes at a community college for the Winter Semester which ended on 5/24. Grades were not released until 5/30. I had requested that my transcript be sent (rush delivery) on 5/30, but there was an administrative error which resulted in my transcript not being mailed out until yesterday 6/12. Should I elect not to include those courses on my AMCAS and send update letters to schools rather than delaying my application by potentially several weeks?
Submit now, if the schools really want your most recent grades you can always send them in later

My official transcript has credit (not credit hours) listed. For instance, one full class is 1 credit, a lab or something might be .5 credit. There is a form attached that explains that 1 credit equals 4 credit hours.

AMCAS clearly states in bold to enter EXACTLY as it appears on the official transcript. However, the application is clearly labeled "credit hours." My question is, do I enter it as credit because that's how it appears EXACTLY on my transcript, and let the verifier convert, or do I enter it as credit hours?

Thanks!

Issue with my transcript grades:

I took two physics courses, both of which were worth 4 credits each, but on my official transcript it only lists it as worth 2 credits. Do I input 4 credits or 2 credits in AMCAS? Thanks!

Anyone know why my AMCAS was erased? Everything was fine yesterday and nearly ready to submit, but today all of my info is gone!

Sent from my LG-VM696 using SDN Mobile

So I got a bit overzealous in submitting my app. Should have checked EVERYTHING, and of course missed something...

I have a future course listed, but forgot to mark the transcript as "not required" and request the transcript exception form. I can't talk to anyone at AMCAS over the weekend, but does anyone know if this is something they're able to fix quickly (i.e. switch the status to "not required" and get me the form to fill out)?

Thanks!

Issue with my transcript grades:

I took two physics courses, both of which were worth 4 credits each, but on my official transcript it only lists it as worth 2 credits. Do I input 4 credits or 2 credits in AMCAS? Thanks!
Why was it marked that way?

Help important question!

So apparently I noticed there is an error on my transcript.
My teacher forgot to register a credit of research for me.
I did 3 semesters of research (summer, fall, spring) but I only got 2 credits.

My teacher also knows of this error now. The probelm is that i think it is gonna take too long to fix the error, and i dont want to get late for my applications.

I cant submit my apps until after the 18th becuase I get my mcat scores that day, so there is a little room.

So i got 2 questions:
1. I already submitted my transcript with the error and it will probably be recieved by monday or tuesday. If i do get my error corrected and thuis do get a new transcript ... can i still be able to send a corrected transcript? Also how long would it take?

2. My other question is that say it would take too long to get the error corected, i was wondering if there is any or a big diffrence with 2 vs 3 research credits. I mean i still wrote and gave the hours, etc on my app of all 3 semesters.
Do you think it matters 2 or 3.... is it a big deal....or should i still submit my app regardless of the error?

THANKS !!!

I'm reviewing my PDF application right now and I noticed that in my PS and MD/PhD essays AMCAS has created two empty lines between paragraphs even though it only shows up as one in the editable text box. I'm guessing it has something to do with the line break that hitting the enter key creates. If I only hit enter once which is enough to start a new line for the next paragraph but without an empty line separating the paragraphs, it shows up as one empty line between paragraphs on the PDF version.

As an example, here's what I see in the text box on the AMCAS form:
text box said:
Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2

And here's what it looks like on the PDF:
PDF said:
Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2

Anyone know how it shows up for adcoms?

I'm reviewing my PDF application right now and I noticed that in my PS and MD/PhD essays AMCAS has created two empty lines between paragraphs even though it only shows up as one in the editable text box. I'm guessing it has something to do with the line break that hitting the enter key creates. If I only hit enter once which is enough to start a new line for the next paragraph but without an empty line separating the paragraphs, it shows up as one empty line between paragraphs on the PDF version.

As an example, here's what I see in the text box on the AMCAS form:

And here's what it looks like on the PDF:

Anyone know how it shows up for adcoms?

I think LizzyM said it shows up to them like the PDF. But seriously...does one extra hard return really matter?

I think LizzyM said it shows up to them like the PDF. But seriously...does one extra hard return really matter?

I've been fighting the character limits on all my essays. The PS wasn't so much of a problem, but both my MD/PhD essay and research essay had to be edited even further to make room for all those extra characters. My research essay even came exactly at the limit of 10,000 characters in AMCAS.

So I got a bit overzealous in submitting my app. Should have checked EVERYTHING, and of course missed something...

I have a future course listed, but forgot to mark the transcript as "not required" and request the transcript exception form. I can't talk to anyone at AMCAS over the weekend, but does anyone know if this is something they're able to fix quickly (i.e. switch the status to "not required" and get me the form to fill out)?

Thanks!

Is the future course going to be taken at an institution that you are sending a transcript of anyway?

The manual says that AMCAS doesn't review courses listed as "future" so I don't think it will matter, but in the event that it does we're allowed up to 10 mistakes so I think it should be fine. You made me worry though because I did the same thing.

Why was it marked that way?

Beats me. My unofficial transcript lists two columns, one with the classes as having 4 credits, but there was also one that listed them as having only 2 credits each. There are no other differences (errors) on my transcript. I never paid attention to that column, because it was wrong, but that's the only one listed on my official transcript.

The two classes are physics 1 + 2, with calculus. It is POSSIBLE that because I had AP and college credit from high school for physics 1 and 2 without calculus, they may have for some reason only counted these two classes as 2 credits each? Either way, I was not notified of this when I was taking the classes, and the two classes have a different catalogue number as well. For the moment, I am putting the two classes down as four credits each.

I'm confused about what gets your app delayed... I know that course classifications won't.. What about activity classifications? Are the errors mostly related to transcripts like class titles or grades? I'm checking my app a lot but I'd love some clues about what types of mistakes I should be looking for

Thanks!

I'm confused about what gets your app delayed... I know that course classifications won't.. What about activity classifications? Are the errors mostly related to transcripts like class titles or grades? I'm checking my app a lot but I'd love some clues about what types of mistakes I should be looking for

Thanks!

Verification is the process of comparing your transcript(s) to the courses you entered. It has nothing to do with the work/activities. Don't stress about the work/activity classification. Many activities can fall under multiple classifications.

Just make sure that the courses you entered match exactly to how they look on your transcript and that you have the same # of courses entered as show up on your transcripts. Those are the mistakes, if you get 10+, that can get your app returned to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.