*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2013-2014*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the future course going to be taken at an institution that you are sending a transcript of anyway?

The manual says that AMCAS doesn't review courses listed as "future" so I don't think it will matter, but in the event that it does we're allowed up to 10 mistakes so I think it should be fine. You made me worry though because I did the same thing.

Nope, it's a class I'm taking this fall through an extension school. Totally isolated class, not something that will be submitted to AMCAS via transcript. The issue is that my submitted app is now waiting for a transcript that does not exist...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm confused about what gets your app delayed... I know that course classifications won't.. What about activity classifications? Are the errors mostly related to transcripts like class titles or grades? I'm checking my app a lot but I'd love some clues about what types of mistakes I should be looking for

Thanks!

Verification only looks at your course work. As long as what you entered on the course work pages matches up exactly with your official transcript, you're good. According to AAMC, what typically screws people over is that they leave off classes they later retook or otherwise had removed from their college's internal GPA calculations. What AAMC is looking for during verification is to make sure all your courses are on there (and that all the courses on AMCAS are also on your transcript), they're listed at the correct time (eg: S1 Freshman year), and have the right grade. You should also have all your courses listed exactly as they're found on the transcript. So use the abbreviations that are listed on your transcript and just to be safe spell them exactly the same, typos and all.

You should still go over the rest of your application just as obsessively though. You can't change your work and activities section or your essays after you submit, and the last thing you want is to find an error in an essay that you'll then have to update schools about

"Hey, guys, just to let you know, the dates I entered for my shadowing are wrong. Also, please ignore the typo in my personal statement in the sentence where I talk about how detail oriented and careful I am."

Verification only looks at your course work. As long as what you entered on the course work pages matches up exactly with your official transcript, you're good. According to AAMC, what typically screws people over is that they leave off classes they later retook or otherwise had removed from their college's internal GPA calculations. What AAMC is looking for during verification is to make sure all your courses are on there (and that all the courses on AMCAS are also on your transcript), they're listed at the correct time (eg: S1 Freshman year), and have the right grade. You should also have all your courses listed exactly as they're found on the transcript. So use the abbreviations that are listed on your transcript and just to be safe spell them exactly the same, typos and all.

You should still go over the rest of your application just as obsessively though. You can't change your work and activities section or your essays after you submit, and the last thing you want is to find an error in an essay that you'll then have to update schools about

"Hey, guys, just to let you know, the dates I entered for my shadowing are wrong. Also, please ignore the typo in my personal statement in the sentence where I talk about how detail oriented and careful I am."
Is it okay to put th full course names as it appears in my colleges catalog or exactly how it appears on my transcript? If I go with abbreviations, I am not sure they will know what classes I exactly took. I.e. exercise biology at my school appears as EX BIO or something in my transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you technically submit the AMCAS app and then retake a few prereqs this summer and then resubmit these new grades? How do you do that?

Sorry if its been asked before- just popped into my head

Hey everybody,

I have like those before me, a weird/stupid question about LORs. I apologize if it's been answered before and, if it has already been answered, feel free to tell me to pipe down and direct me to the proper thread.

Anyway, I see that schools all require that you only submit the secondary application after you have been 'instructed' to pay the fee and provide the required materials. Part of the secondary app is the transmission of LORs. So should I still go ahead and assign my letters to every school when I submit my application to amcas?

Again, sorry for the stupid question. Thank you ahead of time to anyone willing to answer.

Could you technically submit the AMCAS app and then retake a few prereqs this summer and then resubmit these new grades? How do you do that?

Sorry if its been asked before- just popped into my head

You cannot resubmit AMCAS once you submit it initially. You will have to send the updated transcript to all the schools you apply to.

Hey everybody,

I have like those before me, a weird/stupid question about LORs. I apologize if it's been answered before and, if it has already been answered, feel free to tell me to pipe down and direct me to the proper thread.

Anyway, I see that schools all require that you only submit the secondary application after you have been 'instructed' to pay the fee and provide the required materials. Part of the secondary app is the transmission of LORs. So should I still go ahead and assign my letters to every school when I submit my application to amcas?

Again, sorry for the stupid question. Thank you ahead of time to anyone willing to answer.

Yes, you can assign your letters now. They just say that because LORs aren't necessary for verification and you only need them to be considered "complete" and ready for review at a school (primary + secondary + MCAT + LOR). If you have all your letters now, you can go ahead and assign them.

You cannot resubmit AMCAS once you submit it initially. You will have to send the updated transcript to all the schools you apply to.

Yes, you can assign your letters now. They just say that because LORs aren't necessary for verification and you only need them to be considered "complete" and ready for review at a school (primary + secondary + MCAT + LOR). If you have all your letters now, you can go ahead and assign them.

But then how would my GPA change? Wouldn't the AMCAS GPA be different from those classes I end up retaking?

Is it okay to put th full course names as it appears in my colleges catalog or exactly how it appears on my transcript? If I go with abbreviations, I am not sure they will know what classes I exactly took. I.e. exercise biology at my school appears as EX BIO or something in my transcript.

I would just put it as it appears on the transcript. I'm sure adcoms have seen enough transcripts to know how to read the abbreviations, and those abbreviations are usually pretty obvious anyway. You could always call up AAMC and ask them for a definitive answer. When I called them the wait time was like 20 seconds.

Thanks for your help!!
Three more quick questions-
For my thesis class the title on my transcript is super long... So I should just write as much as I can fit? I shouldnt abbreviate it differently than on my transcript to get it shorter?

Also I took an ap class that is listed on my transcript because I got out o the first level of psych because of it but did not get credit for it. Should I still list that?

Finally... I took the same small class every semester of college do I list it every time I took it since its on my transcript each semester?

I believe the AAMC instructions say you can abbreviate if you run out of room.

If it's on your transcript, list it.

Yes. Mark it as a repeat course after the first time unless it was a course "designed to be repeated" (eg: research credit).

But then how would my GPA change? Wouldn't the AMCAS GPA be different from those classes I end up retaking?

The schools can recalculate your GPA if they feel so inclined. Why are you retaking pre-reqs the summer of application? Shouldn't those have already been under your belt prior to MCAT?

The schools can recalculate your GPA if they feel so inclined. Why are you retaking pre-reqs the summer of application? Shouldn't those have already been under your belt prior to MCAT?

I see. It may so happen that the only time I can retake a class I took in a prereqs would be during the summer I submit but it was more of just a random question than anything

Could someone please give me some advice with this situation. I just finished taking two classes for the spring term, Spanish and Genetics. Received an A in both courses but in order to have it show on my AMCAS I need to send an updated transcript this week. I know transcripts take about 2-3 weeks to be marked as complete. I was planning on having my AMCAS ready to submit by June 28th. Should I wait an extra week to have those updated transcripts in?

My cGPA is 3.9 and sGPA is 3.84 so it wouldn't affect my GPA much. Also my Spanish teacher is writing me a LOR if that matters.

Sorry still a little confused on the last point. So this was a performance group I got credit for every semester. I should list it as a class every single semester right? If I just write it was "repeated" then it wouldn't accurately represent my transcript

Yes...fill out the coursework as it appears on your transcript. If the class is listed every semester, you fill it out every semester. I did the same for orchestra.

EDIT: went back through the quotes and realized why you were confused. No, it is not a repeated course, do not mark "repeat." My advice above still stands.

Yes...fill out the coursework as it appears on your transcript. If the class is listed every semester, you fill it out every semester. I did the same for orchestra.

EDIT: went back through the quotes and realized why you were confused. No, it is not a repeated course, do not mark "repeat." My advice above still stands.
Okay, thanks so much for clarifying! You are so incredibly helpful on this thread! I greatly appreciate all your advice! The AAMC should hire you:)

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome sounds good

Last edited:
Is there going to be a difference between submitting on June 17th vs June 25th? I have my mcat on June 20th so I was wondering whether to just set the primary app aside until I take the test.

No huge difference. Good luck on the test!

Is it okay to add a few more schools like next week? or would that cause any sort of delay in my application? I know you cant delete schools, but i was thinking of putting like 10 i know for sure im applying to.. and give myself a week to decide on the rest

thanks! i told myself I wouldn't get neurotic...just can't help it sometimes

Is it okay to add a few more schools like next week? or would that cause any sort of delay in my application? I know you cant delete schools, but i was thinking of putting like 10 i know for sure im applying to.. and give myself a week to decide on the rest

you can add on more schools at any time. it won't affect your verification.

entry into verification = primary with at least one school ($160 or whatever) + all transcripts marked received

you can add on more schools at any time. it won't affect your verification.

entry into verification = primary with at least one school ($160 or whatever) + all transcripts marked received
Thanks again for your help!

A few more questions- on my actual transcript there are a few things that look like type-o's but i think are abbreviations. For example, they spelt experimental as "experimentl" and listening as listeng." Since I have more room on my AMCAS application I CAN write out the entire word; however, this would result in having a title that is different from my transcript. What should I do about this?

Also, I am still unsure how to title the AP class that only counted as a waiver, NOT as a credit. Should I title it AP Waiver: ____ or should I put the class title that i was waived out of because of that AP? Also should I put it as "exempt" or "ap credit"

Thank you for all your help!!

Somewhat of a repeat question because I haven't been given a clear answer, even after calling AMCAS.

I retook a number of classes as a post-bac (from my undergrad years). Does it count as a "repeat"?

Different school, and some of the classes have different course titles even though it's all Intro to Biology, for example.

Any thoughts from the veterans would be great!

Somewhat of a repeat question because I haven't been given a clear answer, even after calling AMCAS.

I retook a number of classes as a post-bac (from my undergrad years). Does it count as a "repeat"?

Different school, and some of the classes have different course titles even though it's all Intro to Biology, for example.

Any thoughts from the veterans would be great!

Never mind. I called AMCAS again and it was a resounding "no", it doesn't count. Hope it helps someone else.

Should I list these as two separate experiences, although they were at the same place.

It was a homeless shelter that also had a free clinic. I did the homeless shelter stuff (up front) for 6 months then transitioned to the clinic (in the back) for 4 months (and still going). Would this merit two separate experiences given the nature of each position was so different.

Thanks again for your help!

A few more questions- on my actual transcript there are a few things that look like type-o's but i think are abbreviations. For example, they spelt experimental as "experimentl" and listening as listeng." Since I have more room on my AMCAS application I CAN write out the entire word; however, this would result in having a title that is different from my transcript. What should I do about this?

Also, I am still unsure how to title the AP class that only counted as a waiver, NOT as a credit. Should I title it AP Waiver: ____ or should I put the class title that i was waived out of because of that AP? Also should I put it as "exempt" or "ap credit"

Thank you for all your help!!

1. Write it as it appears on the transcript

2. I'm not 100% sure on this one, so you might want to call and ask. From my understanding, if you didn't receive credit for it, you list it as "exempt," but I'm not positive.

Should I list these as two separate experiences, although they were at the same place.

It was a homeless shelter that also had a free clinic. I did the homeless shelter stuff (up front) for 6 months then transitioned to the clinic (in the back) for 4 months (and still going). Would this merit two separate experiences given the nature of each position was so different.

Yes you can list them separately.

Do your LORs have to be in before you get invites for secondaries?

I have courses on my transcript from my home institutions Extension program (a UC). I currently listed all courses taken there as part of my home institution, because they appear on the transcript itemized with the course names, numbers, dates, grades... just like the regular courses I've taken.

My question is -- the Extension still has not sent my transcript to AMCAS. All my other transcripts are in, and this one will hold up my application for a good 2-3 weeks. Should I just submit to AMCAS with what I have now? I didn't include the Extension as a separate college. Will AMCAS go off my home institution's transcript for the Extension courses as well? And will they make me add the UC Extension school after submission, and resubmit?

Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated.

I have courses on my transcript from my home institutions Extension program (a UC). I currently listed all courses taken there as part of my home institution, because they appear on the transcript itemized with the course names, numbers, dates, grades... just like the regular courses I've taken.

My question is -- the Extension still has not sent my transcript to AMCAS. All my other transcripts are in, and this one will hold up my application for a good 2-3 weeks. Should I just submit to AMCAS with what I have now? I didn't include the Extension as a separate college. Will AMCAS go off my home institution's transcript for the Extension courses as well? And will they make me add the UC Extension school after submission, and resubmit?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is an Extension program? Is that sort of like a study abroad thing? This is what the manual says about it, if it helps.

"If you completed study abroad coursework, as defined by AMCAS, you will not be required to provide an official transcript from the foreign institution. Instead, you will request a transcript exception and use the official transcript from the domestic school that awarded credit; we’ll cover this later in the tutorial.
If you studied at a branch of a U.S. college or university that is located overseas, like Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar or the University of Virginia in Tokyo, you will be required to provide an official transcript for this coursework."

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this has been addressed somewhere, but I was unable to find an answer to my question of what do I put as my end date if I am still involved in the activity?

Amcas manual states:

Experience Dates
Include the start and end dates for each experience. Some Experience Types, such as Awards, Presentations/Posters and Publications, require only one date. Your start date must be no later than the current month and your latest end date must be no later than the August of the current application cycle.

Should I put August 2014? There is no option to leave it blank, and I wasn't sure what to put.

Thanks!

What kind of requirements must you fit into in order to receive fee assistance for secondaries? I don't think I'll be able to swing it... Any salary estimates?

Also, what is the usual policy when a school receives too many letters? I accidentally assigned all of my letters to all schools, because for whatever reason I didn't think about a max number of LORs. I sent out 6, and many schools max at five. I have a packet from my pre-health department consisting of three teacher letters and a short cover letter from the dean, and then 2 doctor letters. I'm assuming that's six, if you count the cover letter. Is there anything I can do after hitting submit? Or should I just contact the admissions offices of schools which I went over the limit?

Last edited:
Are early decision applicants verified more quickly than regular decision applicants?

Hi All,

I've searched and searched through the forums for an answer to this, called AMCAS three times with unclear answers and my pre-med committee all decided to go on vacation together. Any help on the following would be a RELIEF.

I have:

1) My undergraduate transcript with my course work from 2005-2009
2) My graduate transcript detailing my grad course work from 2009-2011

Both transcripts are from the same University. However, I recently retook a undergraduate pre-requisite course from 2012-2013 at the same University. My University labels this pre-req as graduate course and applied it to my graduate GPA even though this is the exact same class I took during undergrad (i.e. course syllabus, teachers, name of course). Now I am very unsure of what transcripts to order and how I should list this course that I took from 2012-2013.

1) Would you recommend I enter this under my "undergraduate course work" from 2005-2009, or enter the course under my "graduate course work" from 2009-2011 or should I enter under a third entry for this University and list this as "post-bacc" even though it was technically not a post-bacc degree I was working on?

1a) If it turns out that I should list in a separate third entry for the same school, should I enter a request a separate transcript or mark it as "transcript unavailable" and select cross-consortium, transcript is same?

2) Should I classify is as "post-baccalaureate undegrad" or "graduate" for the Year in School field?

No one has been able to answer the question and AMCAS said "use your judgement". I feel like this using my judgement might have grave errors if AMCAS decides to not agree with how I input this one class which doesn't match up with their specifications for a retake or my school's designation as a graduate class. :confused::confused::idea:

Hi everyone, I'm not sure if this has been addressed somewhere, but I was unable to find an answer to my question of what do I put as my end date if I am still involved in the activity?

Amcas manual states:

Experience Dates
Include the start and end dates for each experience. Some Experience Types, such as Awards, Presentations/Posters and Publications, require only one date. Your start date must be no later than the current month and your latest end date must be no later than the August of the current application cycle.

Should I put August 2014? There is no option to leave it blank, and I wasn't sure what to put.

Thanks!

Yes, to your question. That's how I did it as well.

Just wanted to clarify - the courses you took at Extension show up on your actual college's transcript? From what I understand, the Extension programs are separate from the UC's even though they're affiliated together or whatever. Is there any distinction on your college's transcript that they are Extension? Normally, if it shows up on your transcript, you still need a transcript from the actual institution (for example, I needed a separate transcript from my community college courses I took in high school even though they were on my UC's transcript). I listed Extension as a separate institution since it was an option, though. But if there's not distinction on your college's transcript that they were taken at Extension, I would assume you wouldn't need an additional transcript. If they are distinguished as separate, then you might need the transcript because it may look as though the courses were transferred to your college. I hope that makes sense. You should call AMCAS to clarify, though. Or even try your college - they probably deal with AMCAS stuff all the time and might have an answer for you.

Thanks for the input, yeah I ordered a separate transcript from Extension recently. It will hold up my application, sadly.

Sorry to be asking this again, but AMCAS says we can submit LOR after the application is submitted. My application has been submitted and verified without LOR. Can I submit LOR to AMCAS to be sent to MD schools when I complete the secondaries? Is there a deadline to submit LOR? Will not submitting LOR delay my application?

Sorry to be asking this again, but AMCAS says we can submit LOR after the application is submitted. My application has been submitted and verified without LOR. Can I submit LOR to AMCAS to be sent to MD schools when I complete the secondaries? Is there a deadline to submit LOR? Will not submitting LOR delay my application?

Warning: I haven't read the changes for this year, so if ANYTHING I am saying is out of date, feel free to smack me:)

Your AMCAS application is "verified", but you will not be "complete" at a school if what they require to be complete is your LORs

Yes, you can add your LORs at any time. See the LOR thread for more info on this. But a lot of schools won't give you the secondary until they get the LORs, for instance, any schools that do any kind of screening before secondaries and require that your app is complete. Others won't need the LORs until later. It just depends. Get the LORs in to save yourself the hassle; the longer you wait the more of a delay AMCAS will have adding them to your application, and the longer it will be before the school gets it.

Also, mmmcdowe....thanks for the shout out in the OP;)

Hey guys so I was waiting on my mcat score back and I got a 32 and I have a 3.9. I still havent submitted AMCAS and my MCAT score is a little weak. If i submit now will i be late? They have already received my transcripts and I'm not sure if thats relevant.

I'm just worried that I will be submitting a weaker application late and that will hurt me. What should I do?

I think 32 is fine! If you look at the national average MCAT for 1st year medical school matriculants, its a little shy of 32. Just be ok with a lower tier school and apply broadly! Turn in your app ASAP

Hey guys so I was waiting on my mcat score back and I got a 32 and I have a 3.9. I still havent submitted AMCAS and my MCAT score is a little weak. If i submit now will i be late? They have already received my transcripts and I'm not sure if thats relevant.

I'm just worried that I will be submitting a weaker application late and that will hurt me. What should I do?

Warning: I haven't read the changes for this year, so if ANYTHING I am saying is out of date, feel free to smack me:)

Your AMCAS application is "verified", but you will not be "complete" at a school if what they require to be complete is your LORs

Yes, you can add your LORs at any time. See the LOR thread for more info on this. But a lot of schools won't give you the secondary until they get the LORs, for instance, any schools that do any kind of screening before secondaries and require that your app is complete. Others won't need the LORs until later. It just depends. Get the LORs in to save yourself the hassle; the longer you wait the more of a delay AMCAS will have adding them to your application, and the longer it will be before the school gets it.

Also, mmmcdowe....thanks for the shout out in the OP;)

Thank you for answering my questions. I will go ahead and send in my LORs.
-I have applied around ~20 schools. This means I have to do research for each schools to find out what type/how many LORs are need for each, right?
-Also, will adding LORs at this time delay verification/the time that my application is sent to MD schools?
Thank you again.

Adding LOR will not delay the verification process in anyway! Just get them in before medical schools are looking at your app for interview consideration!

I'm a little concerned that AMCAS may have mixed up my transcripts. I have transcripts from four schools, and two of them have very similar sounding names (both include the same compass coordinate and the state name). I got an email saying that one of them had been received on June 11. I have since been waiting on the other to be marked as received, because I sent out all of my requests on the same day. Well I got another email today saying that the first one had been received. Is it common for them to send multiple emails about a single transcript or should I call them on Monday?

When in doubt, call. I wouldn't mess around with that kind of stuff. The funny thing is that I called them on two separate occasions because two of my transcripts were taking a long time to show up... They were both marked received within a couple of days of the calls.

I had a question regarding AMCAS Letters. If you entered information regarding a letter wrong, since you can't edit - should you just add the same letter again with the correct information and mark the incorrect one as not being sent. I haven't assigned any letters of rec to individual schools, just the information. Does this raise any eyebrows? Will medical schools see I entered information wrong? Or since it hasn't been assigned to them they will only see the newest one which I will assign to them.

Thanks!

A quick question. For the letter packet, imy school's pre-med office sends evaluation forms to each letter writer. Once the letters and evaluation forms are ready, they are uploaded to AMCAS (both letters and evaluation forms). Is anyone familiar with this? Do other schools upload evaluation forms with letters? I'm a bit worried because i've never heard anyone mention it.

A quick question. For the letter packet, imy school's pre-med office sends evaluation forms to each letter writer. Once the letters and evaluation forms are ready, they are uploaded to AMCAS (both letters and evaluation forms). Is anyone familiar with this? Do other schools upload evaluation forms with letters? I'm a bit worried because i've never heard anyone mention it.

My school does the same thing. From reading past SDN stuff, as long as you meet the minimum requirements of the individual schools, it shouldn't matter. For instance, if your letter packet has the committee evaluation, 1 physician evaluations, 2 professor evals. and an employer eval, but a school you're applying to only wants 2 prof evals, you are fine even though you are giving them more than they asked for. For most schools, as long as you have just the committee eval, you a good to go. The evaluation form from the letter writers will be read if the adcom finds them useful or looked over if they don't. This was actually a big discussion in the Mayo forum last year. It shouldn't hurt you. If someone knows otherwise, please chime in...

What kind of requirements must you fit into in order to receive fee assistance for secondaries? I don't think I'll be able to swing it... Any salary estimates?

Also, what is the usual policy when a school receives too many letters? I accidentally assigned all of my letters to all schools, because for whatever reason I didn't think about a max number of LORs. I sent out 6, and many schools max at five. I have a packet from my pre-health department consisting of three teacher letters and a short cover letter from the dean, and then 2 doctor letters. I'm assuming that's six, if you count the cover letter. Is there anything I can do after hitting submit? Or should I just contact the admissions offices of schools which I went over the limit?

Typically you need to apply for the fee assistance program and qualify to get secondary fee waivers. The FAP gets you a discount on the MCAT and 14 free primary applications. It is based on you and one of your parent's incomes being below 300% of the poverty level. If you get the FAP most schools will wave the secondary fee. Of the 15 I applied to last year, all but one waved the secondary fee (Maryland). I got the fap last year and was denied this year so I will be contacting schools to see if they will wave it. The FAP takes about 2 weeks to go through and it's not retroactive so you might be a little behind if you haven't applied for it yet.

Last edited:
Hey Everybody,

Posted this in another thread, but thought someone here might be able to help me out.

I submitted my application and am in line for verification. Just the other day, I realized that I had completely forgotten about a grade (WD) and transcript from another school. The school had once been under the same umbrella as my current school; different campuses, but same websites, phone number, transcripts, etc. Apparently, this is no longer the case.

Is there any way I can remedy this at this point? Do I need to call the schools directly?

Thanks,
Bill R.

Last edited:
So I just submitted my application, and even after diligent review, I found out that I accidentally marked "Yes" when asked if I've applied to one of the medical schools before. :mad:

Trying not to freak out, and the plan is to call Monday morning and see if they can fix it right away. But has anyone had any experience with this? Are they pretty chill about fixing it? Can it be fixed?:scared:

So I just submitted my application, and even after diligent review, I found out that I accidentally marked "Yes" when asked if I've applied to one of the medical schools before. :mad:

Trying not to freak out, and the plan is to call Monday morning and see if they can fix it right away. But has anyone had any experience with this? Are they pretty chill about fixing it? Can it be fixed?:scared:

No worries. I had a similar problem sort of, I submitted my application without checking how many letters of rec each school accepted. Ends up I had sent in 1 and in some cases 2 over the max limit of letters to some of the schools (like 5 max I sent 7). I freaked out, even though everyone told me not to, and contacted all of the schools I applied to. All of them basically said "oh, no big deal you'll be fine". Moral of the story is that they aren't robots on the other end, they won't care about tedious errors. Good luck!

On a side note, they are taking forever to verify. I submitted the 12th..

Status
Not open for further replies.