*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's annoying...submitted and my status is 'Waiting for Transcripts' even though they're all marked as 'Received.'
Oh well, it's their job to figure all that ish out now. :laugh:
Mine did too. I logged out and back in and it changed to ready for review.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So once they verify it, schools won't be able to review primaries until July 1 anyway?

Do we get an email once our app is verified or it has been sent back to us? Lol, otherwise I'm going to be checking way too often...

Anyone else having trouble getting the transcript request forms to generate? I keep getting error #1328397.

Not in the mood to sit on hold for half an hour today, gotta get some work done for my PI.

Anyone having any problems with the phone system for calling AMCAS? I tried three different phone and none of them are recognizing me pressing the option for AMCAS

I am waiting for 2 more transcripts to be delivered to AMCAS; is it worth submitting now?

I am waiting for 2 more transcripts to be delivered to AMCAS; is it worth submitting now?
Nope, might as well wait until the transcripts are in. Submitting now won't give you an earlier spot on the verification queue.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This question's probably a bit silly, but for the letters of recommendation, what do we fill as the address, country, state, and city? Is it our own address? The organization's address? The letter writer's address?
^ Bump

Is anyone having trouble to view their app ? the app crashes when I try to view it in PDF form

Anyone having any problems with the phone system for calling AMCAS? I tried three different phone and none of them are recognizing me pressing the option for AMCAS
This happened to me all day yesterday. Haven't tried at all today but SUPER annoying

Is anyone having trouble to view their app ? the app crashes when I try to view it in PDF form

Yeah this is happening to me as well. You can preview what it would look like using the HTML option instead though.

Yeah this is happening to me as well. You can preview what it would look like using the HTML option instead though.
That's decent, but the .pdf version is what adcoms see, so it's good to take a glance before your final submission.

I have a couple questions re a few different things. If anyone could help, that'd be awesome.

1. Would I classify theater classes as other or as fine arts?
2. Does social security count as government assistance? ie. in the biographical section they ask if your family has received government assistance; my dad is 72 years old so we have gotten social security since I was in high school even though we aren't disadvantaged.
3. Are there any disadvantages to withholding my parents' income on the application? Will this make me ineligible for financial aid? I would like to check "decline to answer" on the financial questions because I feel like my parents' income has no bearing on my ability to become a good physician, and I don't want medical schools to consider their income when evaluating me. BUT, if doing this would disqualify me from financial aid, then I would list their incomes.

Good to know I'm not the only one who keeps experiencing AMCAS crashing today :dead:

@gonnif: My app has been verified, and I notice that they made a total of 8 separate errors when inputting my Semester Hours.

It likely makes little difference to my GPA (if anything, it would pull it down slightly) if I correct them, but right now they've shorted me a bit over 12 credits total - practically a whole semester's worth of non-lab courses!

Mostly, I just feel weird submitting when I know there are errors. :shrug: Thoughts?

Hey guys, I have a question!

What do you do if you retook a class and got a lower score? I got a B in Biology first semester and retook it, only to get a B -. Which grade do I list?

Thanks!

My undergrad school writes a committee letter that is not guaranteed upload to Interfolio until August 15. I submitted my application today and will have all my other letters in by June 15th. Is there any polite way that I can get my committee to speed up their act a bit? I don't mean to be a nag but my goal is to have the entire application ready for review early in the cycle.

My undergrad school writes a committee letter that is not guaranteed upload to Interfolio until August 15. I submitted my application today and will have all my other letters in by June 15th. Is there any polite way that I can get my committee to speed up their act a bit? I don't mean to be a nag but my goal is to have the entire application ready for review early in the cycle.
I found that keeping them aware of your progress and early submission works wonders. I stayed really on top of things and kept them in the loop and my letter (also not guaranteed until August) came in yesterday!

I had this problem too. I wonder if they [sneakily] disabled the system due to long call waiting times? I tried again a few minutes later and it worked.

So I had everything ready as far as my LOR go and for some reason it randomly erased everything today. I no longer see the LOR requests I had made and it made me redo all of the schools atteneded and biographic information portion. I'm also aware that a few of my letter writers had already uploaded. Is there anyway to get this back or is this some sort of glitch?
Just wondering... did you make an account for the 2015 cycle? You might have signed into LAST year's incomplete application.

@gonnif: My app has been verified, and I notice that they made a total of 8 separate errors when inputting my Semester Hours.

It likely makes little difference to my GPA (if anything, it would pull it down slightly) if I correct them, but right now they've shorted me a bit over 12 credits total - practically a whole semester's worth of non-lab courses!

Mostly, I just feel weird submitting when I know there are errors. :shrug: Thoughts?

If you ask to be corrected it could delay it. If dont ask it would wrong. Did they do a quarter to credit conversion for you?

Historically, most UG schools dont have letters in until Sept. Most adcoms dont start doing full meetings for acceptance reviews until September. Do you see a pattern here. Dont get concerned about it

I have a question about entering coursework on AMCAS.
How would I list withdrawals for an entire quarter if the courses don't appear on my official transcript? My official transcript says only "quarter withdrawn" and no courses are listed.
I also don't remember which courses I took and then withdrew.

Thanks!

I have a question about entering coursework on AMCAS.
How would I list withdrawals for an entire quarter if the courses don't appear on my official transcript? My official transcript says only "quarter withdrawn" and no courses are listed.
I also don't remember which courses I took and then withdrew.

Well, you may need to find out that info from your school and list each course.

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/182162/data/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf (p44)

If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you
must still list each course for which you were registered that term with Withdrawal as the
Special Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw
entirely, you must request that the registrar's office forward an official letter (with an
AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached) indicating that no transcript is available
because of institutional policies

If you ask to be corrected it could delay it. If dont ask it would wrong. Did they do a quarter to credit conversion for you?
More complicated than that...my school gives 1 credit for all classes, period, whether there's a lab course or not.

AMCAS then converts that to various values depending on whether there is a lab, and if so, which department the course was in (some of our departments have extended lab sessions worth more semester hours). So they have to go through and read the course number to find the department, and the course title/type to see if it's a lab. Not sure what they do for cross-listed courses...some of my classes allowed me to choose which department prefix I wanted to list it as, but they had the extended lab, so they should get the higher hours no matter which heading they get.

So basically they forgot to give me lab credit for 8 of my classes, but I'm still listed as having taken both lab and lecture.
I figure if I'm going to ask, now is the time...Academic Change Requests at least don't kick you back in the verification queue.

Last edited:
For the Dates Attended for each college, should I extend the dates attended for my postbacc institution to future classes? I took several semesters at my postbacc institution, and currently have the semesters I have completed in the dates attended. I just added two future classes that I will take at the same postbacc institution to fulfill my remaining pre-requisites, but I don't plan on taking the classes until Spring 2016. Should I extend the dates attended until May 2016, or just leave it as it is at May 2015, which is when I completed my most recent semester there?

I have a question. If I am submitting another AMCAS, I know the schools that have waitlisted for the 2015 cycle me will have both primaries on file when they receive my 2016 one. What about if I re-apply to schools that rejected me this cycle? Will they keep my last amcas when I send them this new one?

Is lifeguarding "paid employment - medical/clinical" or "nonmedical/clinical" ?

I entered Psych Statistics (which was just basically statistics) as math and Neurophysiology ( a psych class) as BIO. Likelihood that these will take?

If a school says 3 letters of recommendation is required but they don't say a maximum number of letters, should I submit more than 3 or play it safe and keep it at 3?

I thought most schools required 2 (a committee letter and a professional letter). Does that school indicate what kind of letter the third should be? And I think 5 is a good max for most schools. How many do you have?

I thought most schools required 2 (a committee letter and a professional letter). Does that school indicate what kind of letter the third should be? And I think 5 is a good max for most schools. How many do you have?
I always heard that a committee letter could stand on its own, in place of most schools' individual requirements.
At least, I hope so, because that's what I'm doing.
Besides, my professional letter is IN my committee letter!

So, if my transcripts aren't received yet, then there's no point in me submitting my AMCAS yet, correct? I might as well wait and keep revising my AMCAS until the transcripts are received, because they can't do anything until they have both?

Status
Not open for further replies.