*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So when i had my letter writers submit the LOR, i never gave them the downloadable form (including my aamc number nor the letter ID), will that be a problem???

Its is an ID generated when you enter an letter entry in AMCAS for each of the letters you expect/request

See AMCAS Overview Video Part III
https://students-residents.aamc.org...dical-school-amcas/amcas-tools-and-tutorials/

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p58)Important Terms
·AAMC ID:8-digit identification number assigned to each user of AAMC products and services.
·Letter ID: Unique 7-digit number assigned to each letter entry on your AMCAS application
·Letter Request Form PDF generated by you in the AMCAS application for your designated letter authors.
This form includes your mailing address, AAMC ID, the Letter ID, and information about submitting letters to AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

So when i had my letter writers submit the LOR, i never gave them the downloadable form (including my aamc number nor the letter ID), will that be a problem???

I would yes, potentially a big problem.
Did you use Interfolio? Or AMCAS directly?
Have you create letter entries in AMCAS?
Without the Letter ID, here is no way for AMCAS to connect correct letter to the correct person
Call AMCAS but I would guess you will need all letters resubmitted
However, you have time to fix this as Letters are not needed for several weeks

Your state residency on your primary has little to do with which state you will be considered of for admission and especially tuition. You will be able to make a case for state residency for either state on your secondaries, all of which is perfectly legal. I would pick the "home" state as the one with better Instate acceptance rates

Thanks for the response! And would you say my advisor was right in saying I could potentially qualify for both? Or is it something not worth bothering with?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! And would you say my advisor was right in saying I could potentially qualify for both? Or is it something not worth bothering with?

Each state sets its own criteria for residency and you are perfectly within your rights to make the case on your secondaries for a strong connection to the state for purposes of admissions. It will be more important to make this case for purposes of in state tuition, which is a separate issue

Not that this affects you, but I have dealt with students who have moved around and cannot qualify as a resident in any state

I would yes, potentially a big problem.
Did you use Interfolio? Or AMCAS directly?
Have you create letter entries in AMCAS?
Without the Letter ID, here is no way for AMCAS to connect correct letter to the correct person
Call AMCAS but I would guess you will need all letters resubmitted
However, you have time to fix this as Letters are not needed for several weeks

I used interfolio, so all of my letter writers submitted my letters via interfolio. Would it still be a problem if i told interfolio to include my AAMC and my letter ID for each letter?

I used interfolio, so all of my letter writers submitted my letters via interfolio. Would it still be a problem if i told interfolio to include my AAMC and my letter ID for each letter?

Then this may (I said may) be fixable. I am guessing here that the letters are sitting unassigned in AMCAS but still exist in Interfolio. You can probably simply transfer them again. But first, call AMCAS and see what the status in with your letters now.

I actually haven't sent my letters to AMCAS yet, i was confused so that's why I am asking. I emailed them right now regarding the situation; so basically all of my letters are on Interfolio and i want to use interfolio to submit my letters to AMCAS and i was basically asked if it would be okay if i just had interfolio include my letter ID number and the AMCAS id number when submitting them (i think theres an extra charge, but oh well)...

Then this may (I said may) be fixable. I am guessing here that the letters are sitting unassigned in AMCAS but still exist in Interfolio. You can probably simply transfer them again. But first, call AMCAS and see what the status in with your letters now.

I actually haven't sent my letters to AMCAS yet, i was confused so that's why I am asking. I emailed them right now regarding the situation; so basically all of my letters are on Interfolio and i want to use interfolio to submit my letters to AMCAS and i was basically asked if it would be okay if i just had interfolio include my letter ID number and the AMCAS id number when submitting them (i think theres an extra charge, but oh well)...
you are good to go

You can do it as 1 entry with contact / address for first position and in the text add contact/ address for second noting the additional . You can use date ranges as below via repeat function.

You can also do it as 2 separate but TA in my view is one, If you have the space sure, do it as two

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p55) If you participated in an experience more than once, check Yes
next to the “Repeated?” field for that particular entry. You may enter up to three additional date ranges.
I get what you're saying, but is there a more efficient way of inputting the second contact? Its taking up my precious character limit, lol
I don't feel like separating the two because in this one box I can compare the student population that I tutored and their learning abilities. I can't do that if I include the second contact information in the text box.
Thank you for your help so far! Really appreciate it.

Shadowing was a component of the two different internships that I was involved in, but there were other responsibilities as well. Does the AdCom like to see shadowing hours separately or can I just put the total internship hours?
I shadowed a DO with the sole purpose of shadowing, but it was only for 16 hours. Should I mention that?

I didn't ask my letter writers to include the AMCAS ID. Interfolio takes care of this for you. I can't remember anymore but I think your account settings give you the option to add you AMCAS ID. When you set up the transfer Interfolio gives you the option to select AMCAS. Interfolio then gives you a field for each letter in your transmittal to input your AMCAS letter ID. When you transmit I believe AMCAS matches your letters using that letter ID. I don't think Interfolio allows you to transmit letters to AMCAS without putting in your AMCAS letter IDs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
HI EVERYONE,

Does anyone know what editing company is the best for editing personal statement or whether if its worth it to have them edit your PS? I mean I dont have the budget but just a thought!

Members don't see this ad :)
I get what you're saying, but is there a more efficient way of inputting the second contact? Its taking up my precious character limit, lol
I don't feel like separating the two because in this one box I can compare the student population that I tutored and their learning abilities. I can't do that if I include the second contact information in the text box.
Thank you for your help so far! Really appreciate it.
there really isnt any way other than due a shortened "Name, position, contact"

Shadowing was a component of the two different internships that I was involved in, but there were other responsibilities as well. Does the AdCom like to see shadowing hours separately or can I just put the total internship hours?
I shadowed a DO with the sole purpose of shadowing, but it was only for 16 hours. Should I mention that?

You can put it under one just include "...and Shadowing" in the title
You mention the DO; do you have an additional general shadowing entry?

HI EVERYONE,

Does anyone know what editing company is the best for editing personal statement or whether if its worth it to have them edit your PS? I mean I dont have the budget but just a thought!

There have been many threads on private editing and advising. At this point you would pay "rush" service. As I told someone the other day, if you have ask my prices now, you cant afford it.

I didn't ask my letter writers to include the AMCAS ID. Interfolio takes care of this for you. I can't remember anymore but I think your account settings give you the option to add you AMCAS ID. When you set up the transfer Interfolio gives you the option to select AMCAS. Interfolio then gives you a field for each letter in your transmittal to input your AMCAS letter ID. When you transmit I believe AMCAS matches your letters using that letter ID. I don't think Interfolio allows you to transmit letters to AMCAS without putting in your AMCAS letter IDs.

I do want to make clear though that this is the route I took based on my research on SDN forums. However there seems to be some confusions about if letter writers should add your AAMC ID in the letter text. I didn't, but selecting AAMC ID in Interfolio and adding AMCAS Letter IDs when setting up delivery to AMCAS resulted in those letters being marked 'received' in AMCAS. Additionally all the letters also showed as received on the secondary application websites for schools I filled out secondaries for. So for me that was sufficient and I did not feel the need to ask letter writers to add my AAMC ID in the letter text.
Please do what feels best for you though.

I do want to make clear though that this is the route I took based on my research on SDN forums. However there seems to be some confusions about if letter writers should add your AAMC ID in the letter text. I didn't, but selecting AAMC ID in Interfolio and adding AMCAS Letter IDs when setting up delivery to AMCAS resulted in those letters being marked 'received' in AMCAS. Additionally all the letters also showed as received on the secondary application websites for schools I filled out secondaries for. So for me that was sufficient and I did not feel the need to ask letter writers to add my AAMC ID in the letter text.

The letter itself does not need to have the AMCAS ID or Letter ID.

1) if your LOR professor uses the AMCAS letter writer service directly, the need to know your AMCAS ID and Letter ID to correctly connect the letter to your application usually by emailing them the AMCAS Generated Letter Request Form
2) if you are using interfolio, you have the writer upload to your account. Then you assign the letter with the AMCAS ID and Letter ID prior to transfer to AMCAS

Question about formatting into AMCAS: I have several paragraphs, as probably everyone does, for my personal statement. However, I'm not sure how to enter it into the AMCAS space in a way that will make the individual paragraphs apparent. Should I separate each with an empty line? Will that show up with weird formatting?

Question about formatting into AMCAS: I have several paragraphs, as probably everyone does, for my personal statement. However, I'm not sure how to enter it into the AMCAS space in a way that will make the individual paragraphs apparent. Should I separate each with an empty line? Will that show up with weird formatting?

yeah, same here!

You've already gotten secondaries for this application cycle?!?!?!

I don't know if this information is known, but what time on June 7th can you begin to submit primaries? Also, when will you input billing and credit card information to pay for the application.

yeah, same here!

If using MS-Word
-Use the Replace Function
-Under special characters you can replace a paragraph mark (^p) with manual line break (^l)
-use replace all
-use a Blank line between paragraphs (but I think it removes them anyway)
-indent your paragraphs with 2-3 space
-save as and save an Plain Text (*.txt)
-for a test, reopen in word
-then save another copy (different file name) as PDF (Use that as the guide to adjust your txt file)
This is ultimately how most adcoms will see your file

I don't know if this information is known, but what time on June 7th can you begin to submit primaries? Also, when will you input billing and credit card information to pay for the application.

I do not have the time, but they usually now do it at 9:30am or so. You pay at same time in order to submit

Quick question: So my application is basically complete. I am waiting on my transcripts to be processed. Considering i sent them in last week, they should take about 10 days which is after the first day we can submit for verification. Since I can submit without the transcripts, is there an advantage to submitting the first day vs submitting once my transcripts get processed?

You can put it under one just include "...and Shadowing" in the title
You mention the DO; do you have an additional general shadowing entry?
No, it was just the DO. I shadowed MDs, med students, and PA students during the internship.

At my university, we consider at a Lecture and Lab. For AMCAS should I just state that it's a lecture?
That's why I'm confused-- it's not lecture, but when I think lab, I think science/physics...

The main processing that occurs is verification. This where AMCAS verifies that
1) your transcript is authentic
2) the courses, grades, and credits you listed match the transcript
3) the classification of the courses are correct

You do not enter the verification queue until both your primary application and all your transcripts listed on the primary have arrived and are matched. Therefore, it behooves you to have your application in AMCAS in ready for transcripts to arrive or if your transcripts have been already been received.

Having said that, I advise applicants to submit at least a day or two after opening day. Why? AMCAS has historically had glitches on day 1 with thousands of paraniod premeds trying to submit all at once. While these have lessened in recent years, I still dont recommend you get caught up in them.

**I know similar questions have been asked many times**

That being said, are adcoms really going to care if I use numerical digits when describing my work/activities? I refuse to write "worked two hr/wk." It looks ridiculous.

**I know similar questions have been asked many times**

That being said, are adcoms really going to care if I use numerical digits when describing my work/activities? I refuse to write "worked two hr/wk." It looks ridiculous.

No, some of us can count all the way to 10 on a good day

I just hit "enter" between each space and then I separated each paragraph with a line break (2 characters used for each paragraph break). What did you do? Thoughts on this?

If using MS-Word
-Use the Replace Function
-Under special characters you can replace a paragraph mark (^p) with manual line break (^l)
-use replace all
-use a Blank line between paragraphs (but I think it removes them anyway)
-indent your paragraphs with 2-3 space
-save as and save an Plain Text (*.txt)
-for a test, reopen in word
-then save another copy (different file name) as PDF (Use that as the guide to adjust your txt file)
This is ultimately how most adcoms will see your file

I just hit "enter" between each space and then I separated each paragraph with a line break (2 characters used for each paragraph break). What did you do? Thoughts on this?

Hitting enter in a regular WORD doc puts in a formatted Paragraph mark. This may be lost when you transfer it to regular text.
You have to make you are in text mode when you hit the return and leave a blank line which will create a manual break

Hitting enter in a regular WORD doc puts in a formatted Paragraph mark. This may be lost when you transfer it to regular text.
You have to make you are in text mode when you hit the return and leave a blank line which will create a manual break

I created a manual break in the actual AMCAS PS text box. So it broke my essay up into the appropriate paragraphs. Costed me character spaces, but it was worth it. Better than having 1 giant paragraph...

I created a manual break in the actual AMCAS PS text box. So it broke my essay up into the appropriate paragraphs. Costed me character spaces, but it was worth it. Better than having 1 giant paragraph...

So, whats the best way to do it, Im confused now!

Just make sure that you get a PDF of your application before you submit and see that acts the way you intended

So, whats the best way to do it, Im confused now!
You can do it as I described earlier or readjust in the actual PS box on the app.

Do we put a course number next to our AP Credit?

Do we put a course number next to our AP Credit?

If the transcript has a specific course noted, yes
If the transcript only has a general phrase AP credit for Bio, dont put a specific course number but note what it would be generally such as
"AP Credit for General Biology"

For example, the University of Southern California awarded 9 credits for 3 AP exams. On the official transcript, this credit appears as 9 credits for AP exams, with no indication of what each exam was. On your AMCAS application, enter each exam as an individual course and distribute the credits appropriately, do not exceed the total amount of credits earned.

If the transcript from the college awarding AP credit does not list actual course names, enter the subject area for which credit has been earned (e.g., AP Credit: English) as the Course Name.

If the transcript has a specific course noted, yes
If the transcript only has a general phrase AP credit for Bio, dont put a specific course number but note what it would be generally such as
"AP Credit for General Biology"

For example, the University of Southern California awarded 9 credits for 3 AP exams. On the official transcript, this credit appears as 9 credits for AP exams, with no indication of what each exam was. On your AMCAS application, enter each exam as an individual course and distribute the credits appropriately, do not exceed the total amount of credits earned.

If the transcript from the college awarding AP credit does not list actual course names, enter the subject area for which credit has been earned (e.g., AP Credit: English) as the Course Name.

Oh I see, so don't separate AP Literature and AP Language for example?

Oh I see, so don't separate AP Literature and AP Language for example?

You can separate them but you dont note a specific course number from the school unless the transcript them

If your assigned "6 credits AP humanties" on your transcript you can note on AMCAS

3 credits AP Literature
3 credits AP Language

But you dont have to. These credit/course assignments will not be used to determined prereq fulfillment

You can separate them but you dont note a specific course number from the school unless the transcript them

If your assigned "6 credits AP humanties" on your transcript you can note on AMCAS

3 credits AP Literature
3 credits AP Language

But you dont have to. These credit/course assignments will not be used to determined prereq fulfillment

Thanks!

My transcript literally just says
Transfer Credit:
AP Advanced Placement 0512
Advanced Placement Exam 40.00
Total Transfer Units Allowed: 40.00

In addition, everything in my transcript is ALL CAPS. Does it matter if I say GENERAL CHEM vs General Chem. Gatdam.

Status
Not open for further replies.