*~*~*~*Official AMCAS "Work/Activities" Tips Thread 2015-2016*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
okay or not okay to use "&" instead of "and" in the Experience Name to conserve space?
As this is a universally understood abbreviation, I feel it's OK to use in a title. I think you do get about ~62 characters for the Name you pick, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, this question may have been asked before, but if what do you put as the end date if the activity is ongoing? (or I plan to continue throughout senior year?)

I'd suggest listing them in reverse chronological order, with the most recent first, so the header info applies to it. Contact info for others goes with the narrative description.

When I put in the hours, should I list the total number in the entry and then indicate how they were split up between each of the jobs that I held in the description?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I put in the hours, should I list the total number in the entry and then indicate how they were split up between each of the jobs that I held in the description?
Yes to putting the overall total in the header's Total Hours box, with also mentioning each sub-component's total hours and individual date span in the narrative.

Reactions: 1 user
One of my most memorable experiences is the work that I did leading to my Masters degree. My thesis wasn't based on bench work but a deep analysis into the literature. Should I include this in my research experience, under my graduate section, or in its own entry?

I have two shadowing experiences coming up in June. What are your thoughts about lumping all my shadowing experiences and naming it: "Past, Current, and Prospective Shadowing Experiences"

One of my most memorable experiences is the work that I did leading to my Masters degree. My thesis wasn't based on bench work but a deep analysis into the literature. Should I include this in my research experience, under my graduate section, or in its own entry?
I would suggest not including the experience of masters-elated work and writing your thesis under "Research", but rather under the "Other" tag in its own entry.

I have two shadowing experiences coming up in June. What are your thoughts about lumping all my shadowing experiences and naming it: "Past, Current, and Prospective Shadowing Experiences"
That would be fine, so long as it's clear what shadowing is completed and what hours are planned for the future.

That would be fine, so long as it's clear what shadowing is completed and what hours are planned for the future.

Thank you Catalystik. Last bombardment today.
  1. In an experience name I can't fit both "Research" and "Grant Writing" into the box. Is research implied in just "Grant Writing"?
  2. I fostered cats for overrun animal shelters. How should I count the hours? Technically, it was 24-hours for a 5 day per week stint per animal. Is that overstating it?

1) In an experience name I can't fit both "Research" and "Grant Writing" into the box. Is research implied in just "Grant Writing"?

2) I fostered cats for overrun animal shelters. How should I count the hours? Technically, it was 24-hours for a 5 day per week stint per animal. Is that overstating it?
1) If you picked the tag Research, there's no need to use the word again in the Name. Can you work around it? If not, because you used a different tag, then take Grant Writing out of the title, as it can easily be mentioned in the narrative.

Grants are written for many other purposes than research, so Research should not be assumed from the term.

2) Yes, that's overstating it. Why not count the hours you were in physical contact with a cat or performing a task on their behalf (cleaning the litter box, washing dishes, laying out food, etc.

I have 1 publication that is officially accepted (not yet published) and 2 other manuscripts that are in preparation. Is it ok to list these three together under publications with the title "_____ University Publications"? Since there is no publication date, should I just put June 2015 and then when it is published either say so in a secondary or send in an update letter?

In terms of publications, I have 4 published articles. 2 of them at the same institution, and the other 2 at different. Should I group them or add them separately?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 1 publication that is officially accepted (not yet published) and 2 other manuscripts that are in preparation. Is it ok to list these three together under publications with the title "_____ University Publications"? Since there is no publication date, should I just put June 2015 and then when it is published either say so in a secondary or send in an update letter?
I would not list them together. Entering the accepted manuscript as a Publication, using the date of acceptance in the header is acceptable. You can cite it with [in press] in place of date, volume, and pages.

Manuscripts in preparation, if mentioned at all, should be left in the affiliated Research space.

In terms of publications, I have 4 published articles. 2 of them at the same institution, and the other 2 at different. Should I group them or add them separately?
If you have the space, pubs based on original scholarly research deserve their own space. But one doesn't always have that luxury, in which case grouping them is fine, by any organizational scheme that makes sense to you.

I would not list them together. Entering the accepted manuscript as a Publication, using the date of acceptance in the header is acceptable. You can cite it with [in press] in place of date, volume, and pages.

Manuscripts in preparation, if mentioned at all, should be left in the affiliated Research space.

Ok thanks! Should a description/summary of the accepted paper be included in that entry?

I volunteered at a health center with branch sites nearby and often volunteered and shadowed at the branch sites. I inputted all the info for the main health center where I volunteered and explained in the description that some volunteering/shadowing occurred at the other health center sites. Do I have to specify how many hours were spent at the other sites. I don't have that info and it would be hard to gauge since it was very sporadic and they are technically the same entity.
No, you don't have to differentiate the specific hours at affiliated sites.

I also have an accepted publication (1) If the name of the paper doesn't fit, what should the name of the experience be? (2) when it is officially published should I send an update letter?

I also have an accepted publication (1) If the name of the paper doesn't fit, what should the name of the experience be? (2) when it is officially published should I send an update letter?
1) Peer-Reviewed Paper in High Impact Journal? Third-Author Manuscript on Colony-Collapse Disorder Accepted? Be creative.

2) If you are able to give a rough timeframe as to when it will appear, an update isn't necessary. Otherwise, you can let schools know it has appeared if they allow for that type of a contact.

Hi @Catalystik
So I just found out my registrar's office sent my transcript minus one spring semester grade. I assume I would send second transcript to AMCAS including that grade, but would there be confusion with duplicate transcripts?

Hi @Catalystik
So I just found out my registrar's office sent my transcript minus one spring semester grade. I assume I would send second transcript to AMCAS including that grade, but would there be confusion with duplicate transcripts?
I suggest emailing AMCAS with your ID# and the update plan so they know to expect a more complete transcript.

BTW, this is not the thread for for general AMCAS questions, but rather for the Activities section only.

Hi @Catalystik
This goes in the AMCAS questions thread, not the Work/activities tips thread.
I believe there is a near-identical question/answer on the current page of the AMCAS questions thread which would help you!

I suggest emailing AMCAS with your ID# and the update plan so they know to expect a more complete transcript.

BTW, this is not the thread for for general AMCAS questions, but rather for the Activities section only.

Oops, sorry I didn't realize I was in this thread. Thanks for the advice though!

would volunteering at a center for the blind and visually impaired be considered clinical or non-clinical? thanks in advance!

would volunteering at a center for the blind and visually impaired be considered clinical or non-clinical? thanks in advance!
What did you do? Did you interact with people who were actively receiving medical care (patients)?

What did you do? Did you interact with people who were actively receiving medical care (patients)?

more of a rehabilitation center, not a hospital
serving lunch, acting as a guide, aiding in activities for participants

One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/2015-Present: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556 ext 45

** 12/2013-Present: 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555, ext 34

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

-If the Contact is not the physician, you'll need to add that person's name, too.
-If two or more took place at one location, you might list them at the top and have the header Organization apply to both.
-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.

-If the Contact is not the physician, you'll need to add that person's name, too.
-If two or more took place at one location, you might list them at the top and have the header Organization apply to both.
-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.[/QUOTE]

To clarify, lets say I shadowed 3 different physicians for a total of 75 hours (25hrs a piece) over 2 years. For the date range, would I put the dates that encompasses all the physician shadowing I did over the 2 years? Or do I just put the dates I shadowed the first physician? And then in the repeated section put the dates for the other 2 physicians?

Same for hours... For total hours do I put 75 hours representing the total amount of shadowing I have done for all physicians, or would I only put 25 hours representing the shadowing I did with the first 1st physician? And then in the repeated dates, put in the hours I did with the other 2 physicians?

I have used your format in the narrative box, but I want to make sure that I fill out the header etc correctly.

Thanks!

The average number of activities listed by all applicants is 9-10. It's been stated (adcomms who regularly post on SDN in agreement) that four activities looks weak, but that five strong, multifaceted experiences can be sufficient. Don't feel compelled to expand things, aka fluff them up, thinking it will be appreciated. So use the space where it's needed, and lump things together where that makes more sense, tells your story sufficiently, and keep the focus on more important activities.

I heard that some Adcoms don't like when applicants lump things together since it can be seen as a way to cheat the 15 slots. I heard this from another pre-med who spoke with an adcom member about this. I want to disagree with this statement, especially for certain things such as physician shadowing. So from what you know, is lumping things together pretty common and accepted?

more of a rehabilitation center, not a hospital
serving lunch, acting as a guide, aiding in activities for participants
If you aided in activities meant to rehabilitate the clients though, say, assisting an OT or PT, it would be clinical. OTOH, if the activities were for the purpose of entertainment, it would be nonclinical. Feel free to give more detail if your concern isn't covered.

I heard that some Adcoms don't like when applicants lump things together since it can be seen as a way to cheat the 15 slots. I heard this from another pre-med who spoke with an adcom member about this. I want to disagree with this statement, especially for certain things such as physician shadowing. So from what you know, is lumping things together pretty common and accepted?
Lumping shadowing is near universal. Over lumping every box gets fatiguing to read and you don't want an adcomm to start skimming. Judicious lumping is fine. Those who have the most problems squeezing things in are nontrads with many extra years of activities that they unwilling to prune down.

To clarify, lets say I shadowed 3 different physicians for a total of 75 hours (25hrs a piece) over 2 years. For the date range, would I put the dates that encompasses all the physician shadowing I did over the 2 years? Or do I just put the dates I shadowed the first physician? And then in the repeated section put the dates for the other 2 physicians?

Same for hours... For total hours do I put 75 hours representing the total amount of shadowing I have done for all physicians, or would I only put 25 hours representing the shadowing I did with the first 1st physician? And then in the repeated dates, put in the hours I did with the other 2 physicians?

I have used your format in the narrative box, but I want to make sure that I fill out the header etc correctly.
I suggest not using the Repeated button.

The header's date range can encompass all the shadowing and the Total Hours box should be all the separate hours on the narrative added together. If the separate date spans are far apart, maybe include the word Intermittent in the title.

Last edited:
I suggest not using the Repeated button.

The header's date range can encompass all the shadowing and the Total Hours box should be all the separate hours on the narrative added together. If the separate date spans are far apart, maybe include the word Intermittent in the title.

I have two more questions if you wouldn't mind answering them.

1. One of the things I have done is design and teach science related lessons/activities to elementary school children. I have done this through 2 different groups on my campus. The work was almost identical and I believe it would make sense to lump this all together. Would you agree?

2. Would you recommend not using the repeated button for other things as well such as presentations/conferences, awards, hobbies, and for the mentioned activity above?

Thanks again for your help Catalystik! I really do appreciate it.

One potential format for listing physician shadowing on an AMCAS application (whichever doc you list first, you'd put the pertinent data in the header and omit it from the narrative box. Total Hours box would be all the hours added together):

**4/2015-Present: 15 hours, Jake Famleedok, MD, Family Practice. [email protected] This was mostly clinic time, but I got to observe a vaginal delivery, too. I cut the cord!

**3/14-5/2014: 20 hours, Ling Ula, MD, Pulmonology, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5556 ext 45

** 12/2013-Present: 40 hours, Al Abowtgolf, DO, Sports Medicine, Podunk, AL, Health Clinic, 555-555-5555, ext 34

**Spring 2012: 15 hours, John Kutoocure, DO, Surgeon, Meridian, MS. [email protected] Observed a complete bowel resection and a pancreatic cancer resection. Some clinic hours included.

-If you have many, many docs, you can list the main ones at the top and later summarize others in a way that fits in the remaining space, like "Also shadowed a rheumatologist, neonatologist, and neurosurgeon for 20 more hours combined" without giving contacts and locations.

Just to be clear, do I put the things with the asterisks in the experience description part? I originally had my various shadowing in different experiences on AMCAS but I realized that was a bit silly.

Hello, should you list a certificate as a activity if you have done interesting stuff in it outside of just class? I know they ask about majors and minors elsewhere so I was wondering if it was appropriate to list a certificate as a activity

I have two more questions if you wouldn't mind answering them.

1. One of the things I have done is design and teach science related lessons/activities to elementary school children. I have done this through 2 different groups on my campus. The work was almost identical and I believe it would make sense to lump this all together. Would you agree?

2. Would you recommend not using the repeated button for other things as well such as presentations/conferences, awards, hobbies, and for the mentioned activity above?

Thanks again for your help Catalystik! I really do appreciate it.
1) It works for me.

2) Yes, I wouldn't use the Repeated button. See post #3.

Just to be clear, do I put the things with the asterisks in the experience description part? I originally had my various shadowing in different experiences on AMCAS but I realized that was a bit silly.
Yes. I used the asterisks to substitute for a bullet. You could also use a number or a dash.

Certificate in Diabetes Education given out by the Diabetes Institute at my school. I completed an entire research project and also gave a community presentation at a symposium series

For posters/presentations presented at a conference, should I put the total number of hours that I spent presenting, or the total number of hours at the conference, or the total number of hours spent working on the presentations?

Thanks!

Certificate in Diabetes Education given out by the Diabetes Institute at my school. I completed an entire research project and also gave a community presentation at a symposium series
I wouldn't list the Certificate as an activity (as in an "Award/Honor"). But you may list the process of attaining it that led to XXX and YYY (under "Other"), since these activities seem significant to you. Unless you use the certificate as a diabetes educator, the fact that you obtained one isn't all that helpful.

For posters/presentations presented at a conference, should I put the total number of hours that I spent presenting, or the total number of hours at the conference, or the total number of hours spent working on the presentations?
List the hours you stood next to the poster or spoke publically about it. Prep time would go under the affiliated Research or Project description Total Hours.

So, I think I finally decided where to work my Hobbies in...right now I have an entry for College Musical Involvement - xyzInstrument and abcGroup... but to be honest, they are kind of minor things that I dabbled in. I was serious about my music in high school, but when I decided to go to college rather than conservatory, I took a huge step back and it became more of a hobby for me. The other group I was in was purely for fun and some charity work (which I have in my volunteer entry). Basically, it's not adding much for me, and it'd probably be lame if I were asked about it in an interview, because it's simply was not as important to me as other activities during college.

So...I think I'll turn that one into a Hobbies entry. My question is, what do you generally prefer to see as a title for a Hobbies entry? Just 'Hobbies', or more of a list, with more detail below, e.g. 'Hobbies - xyzInstrument, abcGroup, qrsSport, scuBA, tuvActivity' and then use the description to briefly explain my involvement in each?

So, I think I finally decided where to work my Hobbies in...right now I have an entry for College Musical Involvement - xyzInstrument and abcGroup... but to be honest, they are kind of minor things that I dabbled in. I was serious about my music in high school, but when I decided to go to college rather than conservatory, I took a huge step back and it became more of a hobby for me. The other group I was in was purely for fun and some charity work (which I have in my volunteer entry). Basically, it's not adding much for me, and it'd probably be lame if I were asked about it in an interview, because it's simply was not as important to me as other activities during college.

So...I think I'll turn that one into a Hobbies entry. My question is, what do you generally prefer to see as a title for a Hobbies entry? Just 'Hobbies', or more of a list, with more detail below, e.g. 'Hobbies - xyzInstrument, abcGroup, qrsSport, scuBA, tuvActivity' and then use the description to briefly explain my involvement in each?
I prefer not to see words reused. How about "Leisure-Time Interests in Sports and Music?" Then get more specific and describe where needed in the narrative.

I prefer not to see words reused. How about "Leisure-Time Interests in Sports and Music?" Then get more specific and describe where needed in the narrative.
Cool. I went with 'Additional Interests - Sports and Music', and (since this is supposed to be more interesting and less 'boring lists' just did each activity title + an interesting tidbit. You get a sense of my level of involvement from it, but it's catchier (plus it fits in the character limit this way!)

Cool. I went with 'Additional Interests - Sports and Music', and (since this is supposed to be more interesting and less 'boring lists' just did each activity title + an interesting tidbit. You get a sense of my level of involvement from it, but it's catchier (plus it fits in the character limit this way!)
Excellent! I hope an "Almost went to a conservatory" vibe gets through.

If you have the space, pubs based on original scholarly research deserve their own space. But one doesn't always have that luxury, in which case grouping them is fine, by any organizational scheme that makes sense to you.
Thanks!

If I did one while in college, should I rather group it with Publications: Various or Extracurricular: Undergrad. I am a non-traditional applicant and am already at 15 entries.

Is it weird to not put hobbies down on AMCAS? I can talk about them during interviews but they're just boring things like writing that seem like filler to me on my app.

Hey, Cat. Would you advise against writing one of most meaningful experiences about traveling (non-volunteering, categorized as "other")? Specifically, I saved up money and traveled around the country by myself for about 2.5 weeks btwn freshmen and sophomore year doing various things/meeting wide range of people that have significantly shaped my views on the world and into who I am today. Igniting a passion for medicine was part of the experience although I could hone in on that in my blurb if need be. (I've thought about using this in my PS, but I have a different shorter affair that is relatable for all my EC's).

My only other MM is my somewhat extensive research experience. I don't think my clinical experiences (hospital volunteering) had as significant of an impact that excursion had.

Last edited:
Hello all.

Right now I have 2 experiences listed as "Most Significant" - one leadership position and one clinical paid employment. I am having trouble deciding what my 3rd Most Significant should be (Or do I even need a 3rd?).

I was thinking of putting down my clinical volunteering experience, but I honestly did not enjoy it that much. I will be continuing with it during my gap year, but I am not very passionate about it.

I was also thinking about my senior design project as my 3rd, but I would be saying that I dislike research/have not found research that I enjoy, and would rather work directly with people.

Which of these would be better to talk about? I have other options too but these two stand out to me the most. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.