*Official August 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leelee12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This thread is for everyone that is writing the MCAT on August 4th, 5th, 19th, 20th or on the 25th.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone really familiar with this new scoring process can tell me if a 499 is a bad score, or if there's hope?
There is no magic rule to the new scoring system. You just compare percentiles.
A 499 is 47th percentile. Somewhere between a 24 (43rd) and 25 (49th) on the old scale would be the equivalent. Average MD acceptance is like a 31ish. Your score is likely to get passed over at even state MD schools and low tier private MD schools (very low chance of acceptance). Your score is competitive for newer and lower tier DO schools though.

There is no magic rule to the new scoring system. You just compare percentiles.
A 499 is 47th percentile. Somewhere between a 24 (43rd) and 25 (49th) on the old scale would be the equivalent. Average MD acceptance is like a 31ish. Your score is likely to get passed over at even state MD schools and low tier private MD schools (very low chance of acceptance). Your score is competitive for newer and lower tier DO schools though.

Sorry should of been more specific, I am only applying to D.O schools, so its good to hear you say that. Thank you

Sorry should of been more specific, I am only applying to D.O schools, so its good to hear you say that. Thank you
No problem, I have to admit I do not know as much about acceptance stats for DO schools, beyond that some of the better ones mirror lower tier MD admission stats, but I'm sure with all other things in order you'd be in the running for some. Good luck with applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only apply to low tier and new schools. Worth giving it a shot and seeing what happens. Thanks again.

06/2015 Actual Test: 496. 124-122-124-126

8/20/16 AAMC Scored Practice Test: 504. 125-127-125-127

8/25/16 Actual Retake: 499. 124-124-122-129

No clue how...section results are very confusing. Any advice is welcomed.

Last edited:

8/20/16 Practice Test: 504. 125-127-125-127

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

Is the practice test = AAMC scored? What's your target?

What was your practice scored breakdown?

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile
124/127/125/126.. woulda def taken that on the real thing. I legit don't understand how I got my score on the mcat but what's done is done I guess. I thought I bombed psych and killed bio on the real thing, But now I have no answers for what has occurred, where were you intending on applying?

Last edited:
What did you get on the AAMC scored? If you're confident that you can hit 95%+, then maybe. Also how did you feel on test day? Did you feel like you got 512 without giving it your best?

on the AAMC scored I got 519 (98%). Took it a week before actual exam which I regret because made studying after that harder and also made receiving this dumb score hard.

124/127/125/126.. woulda def taken that on the real thing. I legit don't understand how I got my score on the mcat but what's done is done I guess. I thought I bombed psych and killed bio on the real thing, But now I have no answers for what has occurred, where were you intending on applying?
Wow, yeh we really are in a similar situation. Are you planning on applying with it? or maybe apply and indicate a retake in January on your application? Not sure what the best route is yet....

Wow, yeh we really are in a similar situation. Are you planning on applying with it? or maybe apply and indicate a retake in January on your application? Not sure what the best route is yet....
im going to apply with it, it's not a good score obviously, but it may be enough for a new school or low tier D.O school to take me. Won't hurt to try. I'm positive ppl have gotten in this cycle with lower grades, but it's getting later in the cycle so will be tougher but I'm going to give it a try

Members don't see this ad :)
HELPPPPP

127/128/127/130

Should I retake????
This is where you weigh your options. Best case scenario: You do much better on it. Even at this point, top MD schools are still very competitive and are tough to get into. (As you know). Worst case scenario: You retake and do worse. Could seal any hope for top MD school and may hurt your chances at other MD schools (depending on how low it is). Is there any specific reason you have a preferred interest in top tier MD schools? Obviously everyone would prefer to go to those but would the rest of your application make you a strong candidate for them even if your MCAT score was brought up?

Last edited:
Late post, but scored 516! Scored a 509 on the AAMC scored so I'm definitely surprised by how I did on the exam.

Real deal - 512: 130/125/127/130
As for my CARS section, I predicted a very low score (below 50% percentile); got flustered and missed too many questions. I thought about voiding it but decided not to. While my actual score distribution is worse than my practice scored AAMC, I'm overall really happy with the score. I started prepping in late June (just reading over content) but I 'really' started to study around mid July and set aside a full month to prep for the MCAT. For a month, all I did was wake up, study, eat, study, cry a bit, etc, sleep for 4 weeks. I used Kaplan books for content review and did Berkeley Review passages for the sciences except P/S; EK/Testing Solutions for CARS; AAMC section banks & question packs; some EK passages for weaker areas.

I found it really helpful to go over other people's practice scores while prepping, so I thought I would share my practice scores in order. I started doing the practice exams about 2 weeks before my test date. I should have started earlier with doing timed FL's to fit in more exams, but I wasn't done with content review. I've written the old MCAT before but scored poorly. My main mistake was not practicing with timed FL's and I didn't want to repeat the same mistake.

NS 1 -- 513: 129/127/128/129
NS3 -- 508: 127/125/127/129
Scored AAMC - 512: 129/126/128/129
NS 4 -- 128/didn't take/127/128 (took the sections separately)
Unscored AAMC - 86/81/80/88
NS 2 -- 513: 128/128/128/129

IMO, the section banks, NS exams & BR passages were the most representative materials for the harder passages. Some of the passages I encountered in my C/P section were super easy - similar to the old question pack q's. The B/B section of my exam had a few passages that were very convoluted. I guess my advice is don't get too flustered and just move on (wish I had done that; much harder to do in real life than said). I got pretty lucky with my P/S - I found it a lot easier than the section bank and finished it with 30 minutes to spare. My section bank % for P/S was pretty low ~70%. I felt really discouraged by this mark but ended up doing much better on the real test. I used EK passages and some Khan Academy passages to prep for P/S. EK passages were on the difficult side for me but I found it helpful to practice.

So happy that I can put away all my MCAT books for real this time :')

How did you guys prepare?!
I used ExamKrackers 10th Edition Books, ExamKrackers & Next Step Practice Tests, and all the AAMC materials + Practice tests. Used a combination of the SDN 100 day plan and the ExamKrackers double pass method + lots of practice tests

Has anyone's scores still not been received by AACOMAS who took the exam on August 25th or am I the only one?? I sent them electronically from AAMC within an hour after receiving them on Sept. 27th. I've called AACOMAS twice and both times they've told me to wait until 10-12 business days have gone by but I know that they go through quicker for some. Are any of you others still waiting?

Has anyone's scores still not been received by AACOMAS who took the exam on August 25th or am I the only one?? I sent them electronically from AAMC within an hour after receiving them on Sept. 27th. I've called AACOMAS twice and both times they've told me to wait until 10-12 business days have gone by but I know that they go through quicker for some. Are any of you others still waiting?
Hey, aacomas told me they are having technical difficulties for those scores . -_- and there is no ETA

Hey, aacomas told me they are having technical difficulties for those scores . -_- and there is no ETA

I just had mine come through this morning on my AACOMAS app. My schools still say they haven't received them yet though. Any luck for you?

8/20/16 AAMC Scored Practice Test: 504. 125-127-125-127

Hey, I got a 498 my first time around--a year ago. I took the Sept 10, 2016 mcat and got a 507. I know my score is not stelar, but it made me really happy to see that I truly improved, and I only studied for two months. My breakdown was 128/125/128/126 76%tile. My first attempt: 498 126/123/126/123 46%tile. So basically the trend was the same, but with much better numbers (freaking proud of my verbal, since I'm a nonnative speaker that learned the language 9 years ago). Your score is not impossible to improve. I believe you can get a 514+. Why do I say this? Well, if you take a look at your AAMC practice test, your verbal and CARS were solid, but your sciences were not as solid. So, you already have the skills on the most difficult sections to improve at the moment, which are the verbal and the P/S sections. I believe that your actual aamc verbal score the second time around was due to fatigue. Think about it. You tried your best during the P/C section, but once you got to the verbal, your brained was already fried. If you improve the physical sciences sections, your confidence will get a boost, and you'll proceed to utterly destroy the verbal. The physical and biological sciences can be improved dramatically. You can do it and go above a 512. I'm doing nothing and willing to help out (for free) if help is wanted. Don't get discourage. The MCAT simple tests your ability to take a brutal, standardized test. PM me if anything.

Do you know guys know if AACOMAS accepts recommendation letters after after the primary apps have been sent?

Do you know guys know if AACOMAS accepts recommendation letters after after the primary apps have been sent?

Yes, they do. In fact, I found out after submitting a secondary application to a school that one of my letters wasn't sent on official letterhead. I was still able to have my writer re-send the letter on official letterhead and I then uploaded it to AACOMAS who will then attach that letter to my application. The bummer thing is that my app will now have the same two letters - one on official letterhead and one not. Kind of a pain.

Source: Calling into AACOMAS

I just had mine come through this morning on my AACOMAS app. My schools still say they haven't received them yet though. Any luck for you?
Sorry for the late reply, I was told on Friday that D.O schools do see my MCAT now.