*Official August 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leelee12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This thread is for everyone that is writing the MCAT on August 4th, 5th, 19th, 20th or on the 25th.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This may be an awkward question but is anyone else scared or hesitant when it comes to taking FL exams? Seriously, I had to talk myself into starting to take those because I kept telling myself I'd be wasting an exam because "I'm not ready yet"...although taking FL tests are just another way of practice. I know this sounds totally dumb but I meant every word I wrote haha

I can totally see where you're coming from but I feel the complete opposite about FL's, I want to do them all the time. From the first test I ever took, I saw how much I could learn not only about how much I knew, but how much I didn't know, and that motivated me to take the FL's. I felt like I was wasting my time doing anything else like reading or doing flashcards.

Try to convince yourself that every test you take will be the best possible thing you could do in that situation. It teaches you what content you know and don't know, it teaches you how to sit through a 7.5 hour test, and it also teaches you the kind of anxiety and stress you may feel while taking the real thing.

Reactions: 2 users
I absolutely have those same thoughts. But I did the same - talked myself into taking them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
So, today was fun. Some lady hit my truck (side swiped it). I pulled over because I could feel the hit and then the grind after the slide. She kept going. Yes, I believe that is called hit and run.

Suffice to say, I was not pleasantly happy about that when calling 9-1-1 and giving them her license plate. I need the police report to file the claim with my insurance company so I can get the damage fixed (not sure how much it's gonna cost on my Yukon typey vehicle). But after all of that, no FL for me today.

Dang it anyway. HOWEVER, since the day was shot for FL and I needed to settle my head down (3 hours with the sheriff's department was not all that much fun), I decided to look into separation techniques for proteins as that appears a lot in the SB and on the q-packs; also is not something I've done because I've not yet had orgo or biochem lab.

LOVE this guy so much more than Khan for this. Hope you enjoy (and btw, there are a ton of really well done, explanatory videos for all subjects except psych/soc on his site AND he is a graduate of Jacobs School of Medicine in Buffalo).

Enjoy :)

http://www.aklectures.com/lecture/southern-and-northern-blotting (site where other videos are)

Reactions: 3 users
Hey there August MCATakers, just began physics question pack and CARS Vol II. Just a tip for CARS takers, always gloss over the passage (Look at the amount of words). Subconsciously you will set a pace because you know that amount of info it contains. Also always look to see where the passage was adapted from! I read a few CARS help guides and I feel that this isn't stressed enough. It might provide an insight into the Authors life; his main profession, his area of expertise, his intent for writing the damn thing. These are things that help me and I think might help others... Take it very cautiously, everyone is different...

For the physics Q pack, DON'T skip it because people say its easy and not like the real MCAT... It's true that it's from the old MCAT practice packs but, the sciences DO NOT change much. The formulas and topics tested in those question WILL still appear on the real exam, just in a smaller amount. PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT.

Good luck All and remember that we are not competitors against each other, but competitors against our unfortunate meritocracy.
What's your test date?

I can totally see where you're coming from but I feel the complete opposite about FL's, I want to do them all the time. From the first test I ever took, I saw how much I could learn not only about how much I knew, but how much I didn't know, and that motivated me to take the FL's. I felt like I was wasting my time doing anything else like reading or doing flashcards.

Try to convince yourself that every test you take will be the best possible thing you could do in that situation. It teaches you what content you know and don't know, it teaches you how to sit through a 7.5 hour test, and it also teaches you the kind of anxiety and stress you may feel while taking the real thing.
Gosh you are so right :/ I think I have to change my attitude although it has gotten so much better. Plus, I'm starting to realize that doubling or even tripling on content review still doesn't give me the confidence I was hoping for because after each round I felt like I forgot the first chapters I reviewed AGAIN haha

I'm taking my next FL on Saturday, and I'm getting a little excited because I'm almost through with the section banks and see improvement in my weakest areas. To be honest, I'm not even sure if there will ever be a point where I will feel 100% confident. I think I will feel ready when I can look in the mirror and tell myself I've done my very best to prepare for it...back to my books I go :yawn:

...one more question: any recommendations for FLs? Has anyone taken the Barron's practice tests? Are they any reliable predictors? (<---not sure if that's even an actual word..my brain is currently on autopilot) I had bought it a few months ago because it was affordable lol

Any FLs I can just buy online besides the AAMC FLs? I'm saving those for the last 2 weeks, I'm taking it on the 20th

This may be an awkward question but is anyone else scared or hesitant when it comes to taking FL exams? Seriously, I had to talk myself into starting to take those because I kept telling myself I'd be wasting an exam because "I'm not ready yet"...although taking FL tests are just another way of practice. I know this sounds totally dumb but I meant every word I wrote haha

Don't take it too seriously. Getting things wrong is good! Spread out the exams in a logical order and take them, things you get wrong, review and make sure the real MCAT doesn't trick you in the same way.

Don't take it too seriously. Getting things wrong is good! Spread out the exams in a logical order and take them, things you get wrong, review and make sure the real MCAT doesn't trick you in the same way.
I think what kicks my butt the most is time management. These graphs drive me nuts sometimes haha

What is your strategy for reading/working the passage?

So I'm freaking the **** out. I have all 3 sets of books: TBR/Kaplan/EK (and a bunch of random princeton). I did all of the TBR content review and didn't do their practice passages at the end of the chapters just so I would have something to go back to when I'm done content reviewing. Now that Im done reviewing, I'm going through Kaplan's and EK's back of the chapter's quizzes and doing them---and I'm doing horribly on them. My MCAT is in 35 days, and I don't know what is going on and if I should be freaking out or not. Shouldn't I have those questions down by now? Or are they just really specific?

So I'm freaking the **** out. I have all 3 sets of books: TBR/Kaplan/EK (and a bunch of random princeton). I did all of the TBR content review and didn't do their practice passages at the end of the chapters just so I would have something to go back to when I'm done content reviewing. Now that Im done reviewing, I'm going through Kaplan's and EK's back of the chapter's quizzes and doing them---and I'm doing horribly on them. My MCAT is in 35 days, and I don't know what is going on and if I should be freaking out or not. Shouldn't I have those questions down by now? Or are they just really specific?

Don't worry, it's normal. I was horrible when I started doing passages and full lengths, even questioned if I wanted to go to med school. Just make sure to do passage based questions + a couple of discretes every day from now on.

Reactions: 1 users
...one more question: any recommendations for FLs? Has anyone taken the Barron's practice tests? Are they any reliable predictors? (<---not sure if that's even an actual word..my brain is currently on autopilot) I had bought it a few months ago because it was affordable lol

Any FLs I can just buy online besides the AAMC FLs? I'm saving those for the last 2 weeks, I'm taking it on the 20th
Are you applying this cycle or next?

Members don't see this ad :)
Def. applying this cycle. I already submitted my apps so that the schools have everything until my score comes in
And your secondaries too?
I just fear if taking in Aug 20 is considered too late to apply this cycle as what I've read so far from other posts?
***Glad that I'm from NC too!

Anybody else nervous/freaking out about the MCAT Aug 5th? I took it in Aprik and got a 499 and did the Kaplan higher score guaranteed this last summer. Confused because I have been getting around 500 on Kaplan tests and then a 509 on Next Step Test 1. Does that mean I'm ready? All I plan on doing the next few weeks is practice practice practice. Any advice? I'm also applying this cycle too!

So, today was fun. Some lady hit my truck (side swiped it). I pulled over because I could feel the hit and then the grind after the slide. She kept going. Yes, I believe that is called hit and run.

Suffice to say, I was not pleasantly happy about that when calling 9-1-1 and giving them her license plate. I need the police report to file the claim with my insurance company so I can get the damage fixed (not sure how much it's gonna cost on my Yukon typey vehicle). But after all of that, no FL for me today.

Dang it anyway. HOWEVER, since the day was shot for FL and I needed to settle my head down (3 hours with the sheriff's department was not all that much fun), I decided to look into separation techniques for proteins as that appears a lot in the SB and on the q-packs; also is not something I've done because I've not yet had orgo or biochem lab.

LOVE this guy so much more than Khan for this. Hope you enjoy (and btw, there are a ton of really well done, explanatory videos for all subjects except psych/soc on his site AND he is a graduate of Jacobs School of Medicine in Buffalo).

Enjoy :)

http://www.aklectures.com/lecture/southern-and-northern-blotting (site where other videos are)

Holy crap that sucks! Sounds like you are physically ok which is good but damn. Now I just feel like a bum for not doing my unscored test yesterday and taking a nap, that turned into a 4 hour nap (I usually get 3-4 hours a night due to work/studying/spending time with the family).

A helpful piece for blotting that we learned in class; SNOWDROP
SNOW (Southern- Northern - Omitted - Western) Blotting Type
DROP (DNA ------ RNA------- Omitted - Proteins) Measured

And your secondaries too?
I just fear if taking in Aug 20 is considered too late to apply this cycle as what I've read so far from other posts?
***Glad that I'm from NC too!
I'm applying to all NC schools and called them at the beginning of this year and they all told me that although it is not super early, it is also not too late. So I decided to give it a shot..I think it also depends on your overall application, if you have solid numbers and ECs there is still a good chance, I would say. Considering that nothing can give you any kind of certainty during these admissions procedures, no matter how strong your app is, the best advice I can give you is: Have faith :)

@CloverBale - if that is your real picture, take it down; even if it's not, take it down; not exactly appropriate for a medical forum. :)

Anybody else nervous/freaking out about the MCAT Aug 5th? I took it in Aprik and got a 499 and did the Kaplan higher score guaranteed this last summer. Confused because I have been getting around 500 on Kaplan tests and then a 509 on Next Step Test 1. Does that mean I'm ready? All I plan on doing the next few weeks is practice practice practice. Any advice? I'm also applying this cycle too!

I'm averaging about a 500 on Kaplan's full lengths as well - highest was a 503. Their tests are way too hard...so I just try to aim for 70%+ on them

Just finished the AAMC unscored with a 80% overall - 63/87/78/93 which I think converts to like a 510-125/128/127/130. Pretty happy about that. That Chem/Phys section beat me up good and I am definitely worried about that section on the real thing. I just freak out during that section, I can't seem to remember any formula or relationship between variables and I think I am going to run out of time. I marked about 30-35 of them and I barely finished without being able to go back to review the marked ones. Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle those passages? I end up reading through them and halfway through I catch myself not really taking the words in, just skimming. They're so dense I lose my concentration.

Last edited:
Just finished the AAMC unscored with a 80% overall - 63/87/78/93 which I think converts to like a 510-125/128/127/130. Pretty happy about that. That Chem/Phys section beat me up good and I am definitely worried about that section on the real thing. I just freak out during that section, I can't seem to remember any formula or relationship between variables and I think I am going to run out of time. I marked about 30-35 of them and I barely finished without being able to go back to review the marked ones. Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle those passages? I end up reading through them and halfway through I catch myself not really taking the words in, just skimming. They're so dense I lose my concentration.
+1 any advice would be awesome.

Congratulations on the rest of the sections though :) great job!

^ It worked for me personally if I went to questions first and then found the info I needed from the passage. It saved me time on my FL exams especially in the C/P section. I usually didn't have time to review all marked questions, but I definitely always put down an answer even if I made an educated guess. I liked the NS exams because they acquainted me with really dense passages. Also I made sure to slow down when interpreting graphs/tables so I could understand what was happening lol. Hope this helps!

^^I would say the same thing. I also read the questions before interpreting graphs/figures. No point in analyzing them if they aren't going to ask questions on it. This was a huge mistake I made in the beginning..I usually spent 1-2 minutes trying to analyze a graph only to find out that there were no questions pertaining to it lol

writing the exam aug 25. anyone have recommendations on how to get over their plateaus? the last 3 kaplan FLs I've taken (i've only taken 3 over the last 2 months), have been at 503. i can't seem to budge and get over a 503 on these FLs even though i spent the entire month and a half doing re-content review with TBR... My p/s and cars are always the highest (126-128), and c/p and b/b are always the lowest (124-125) :/

re-content review
that's the issue ; stop doing content review; look at what you're getting wrong and understand "why" - not oh, I see they did x-y-z but WHY they did -y-z

Attached is one of my sheets for the biology graphs (I have many of them from all sections to make sure I can redo them given different situations). I'm not a research scientist and have not had this type of material in over 30 years. This was the best way for me to start extrapolating to other questions.

I realize this might seem really simple to most of you so while I hesitate to post it, maybe it'll help someone else realize they're not alone and not everyone on SDN is a 4.0 with a 528 MCAT :D

Attachments

• Biology Graphs.pdf
    602.4 KB · Views: 87
that's the issue ; stop doing content review; look at what you're getting wrong and understand "why" - not oh, I see they did x-y-z but WHY they did -y-z

Attached is one of my sheets for the biology graphs (I have many of them from all sections to make sure I can redo them given different situations). I'm not a research scientist and have not had this type of material in over 30 years. This was the best way for me to start extrapolating to other questions.

I realize this might seem really simple to most of you so while I hesitate to post it, maybe it'll help someone else realize they're not alone and not everyone on SDN is a 4.0 with a 528 MCAT :D
I love your graphs and explanations! I'm going to add something like this to my "lessons learned" notebook.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

+1 any advice would be awesome.

Congratulations on the rest of the sections though :) great job!

Thank you! :D

^ It worked for me personally if I went to questions first and then found the info I needed from the passage. It saved me time on my FL exams especially in the C/P section. I usually didn't have time to review all marked questions, but I definitely always put down an answer even if I made an educated guess. I liked the NS exams because they acquainted me with really dense passages. Also I made sure to slow down when interpreting graphs/tables so I could understand what was happening lol. Hope this helps!

^^I would say the same thing. I also read the questions before interpreting graphs/figures. No point in analyzing them if they aren't going to ask questions on it. This was a huge mistake I made in the beginning..I usually spent 1-2 minutes trying to analyze a graph only to find out that there were no questions pertaining to it lol

I'm definitely going to try this. I was debating doing this halfway through the section but I always feel like I am going to miss something. I will be taking NS 4 this Monday so I will try it out then. I really enjoy reading CARS and Psych passages, and I can get through Bio/Biochem ones with a better understanding but the Chem ones just destroy me. Hopefully reading the questions and then finding the answers in the passages will be a better technique for me. Thank you both so much!

Just took the test today. U want a piece of good advice, ?? forgo 60% of the content studying you are planning to do and replace that with experimental interpretation questions.

@Chelsea FC - that's what I've been reading for weeks now; all those graphs I redrew with annotated notes? yeah, I'm hoping it helps me on the 5th. There's a method to my madness.

Or.

Maybe I'm just mad :p

HA HA basically the section bank. I could have done the test with my notes infront of me and it wouldnt help at all. I did all 100 questions (75 for physics) for each chem and physics topic in TBR and anki them so I could do them cold. TO my surprise every question is"hey this complicated experiment why did this and this happen".. Also I memorized all the TPR , Kaplan and Khan definitions in psychology .sociology and that only helped on 3 questions .All of the questions were based on some long a*s experiment that my brain was too tired to break down

@Chelsea FC - but, you are done with it :) CONGRATS!! Go celebrate, do something normal, see the sun :)

It's what I'm doing at this time 2 weeks from now. I have a date with the pool, lounge chair and a massive diet coke.

So i've read all the KAPLAN review books... (except for the behavioral science one I'm working on that.. my major was psych)

Next step FL:
I've scored a 125 on CARS
and a 127 on the Psych section

but I haven't completed any of the C/P or Bio because everytime I try I just feel so lost or confused, they are definitely my lowest. I take the test Aug 25th. Do you guys think I need more content review?

I'm applying for pod school so i don't need an absolutely amazing score but a 500 is my goal.

Also, a 127 on the psych section without studying seems really good.. but do you think its worth it to completely study that section or focus on other sections like C/P an Bio where I usually feel really clueless.

@Chelsea FC - but, you are done with it :) CONGRATS!! Go celebrate, do something normal, see the sun :)

It's what I'm doing at this time 2 weeks from now. I have a date with the pool, lounge chair and a massive diet coke.
I will be chilling in the tropics before frantically starting to write my essays while worrying if this will all be for nothing because of a bad MCAT ... Even when you should be relaxing you arent completely relaxed... Good Luck though I have been keeping track of u for a while and noticing you been pushing taking the exam back i hope you take it and ace it this time

Good Luck though I have been keeping track of u for a while and noticing you been pushing taking the exam back
You are very correct and thank you. Not backing down. Aug 5 it is, win/lose/draw; then beach time!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tpssr3m0nieeq1q/AAD7k75DQ8aB7nJN8Tcv_CAEa?dl=0

Get the EK tests if you can afford them otherwise just register the ISBN for TPR and Kaplan and boom there is 9 free FL. Also NS has a free one. Best of luck

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could help me out here. Simple math question. Which is greater is value (.1x10^-3) or (.5x10^-3). If someone can explain this that would be great lol.

.5X10^-3 is greater. if it helps writing it out it, you would move the decimal place to the left 3 times, so it would be .0001 vs .0005

This is the explanation to question 60 from B/B section bank. Can you explain why when apoptosis is induced by pRB, rhodamine 123 would no longer be able to label the mitochondria due to the loss of membrane potential?

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 51
There is no question pack for psychology and sociology section, right? and Only section bank has. Correct me if i'm wrong...Where else did you guys get more practices for that section?

This is the explanation to question 60 from B/B section bank. Can you explain why when apoptosis is induced by pRB, rhodamine 123 would no longer be able to label the mitochondria due to the loss of membrane potential?

The q-stem states that rhodamine 123 binds membranes that are polarized. This stain probably is a rough assay for mitochondrial levels. Membrane polarization is maintained by Na+/K+ ATPase (this is ATP driven) and ATP is synthesized in the mitochondria. If all the mitochondria undergo apoptosis, ATP levels are depleted -> membranes are no longer polarized -> rhodamine can't bind and stain these cells.