Official August 27th 2014 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HaitianMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I might as well get one started. I'm taking it in August but prepping now! Haven't seen my Sciences in YEARS so I'm starting early. Join as you will.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else go home and look up if systolic or diastolic is the top # ? I got lucky on my guess , should be ashamed since I scribe but fuk it.

• PS more conceptually based, was very different from what everyone has been posting on here about it being calculation heavy
  • VR had long passages, however questions didn't have a very difficult format. Last 2 passages of VR required a bit more time then the rest.
  • BS had mostly experimental passages, I had ~1-2 OCHEM passages with one of the two passages mostly basic biochem. Some pretty out there discrete Q's.
The proctors had an attitude too , anyone else have annoying proctors?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else go home and look up if systolic or diastolic is the top # ? I got lucky on my guess , should be ashamed since I scribe but fuk it.

• PS more conceptually based, was very different from what everyone has been posting on here about it being calculation heavy
  • VR had long passages, however questions didn't have a very difficult format. Last 2 passages of VR required a bit more time then the rest.
  • BS had mostly experimental passages, I had ~1-2 OCHEM passages with one of the two passages mostly basic biochem. Some pretty out there discrete Q's.
I only remembered because I have high blood pressure (from stress and caffeine probs). 120/80 is the normal range and mines outta wack, lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, my proctors were really nice ... one was being overly talkative/friendly though which was kinda annoying because I was trying to get in the zone for my test, lol. I felt bad though, so I tried not to show my irritation.

More importantly, which one is the bigger number...

The fat bitch had an attitude, when I asked to go on break. She said " HOLD A MINUTE" The bitch was finishing up a banana. Seriously? I have 10 minutes to go piss, eat, and get back to my test and you ask me to hold on. Not to mention the whole TSA security setup going on like I'm about to infiltrate Prometric.

God damn.

More importantly, which one is the bigger number...
Good question, I'll get back to you on it.

Reactions: 3 users
stop stressing out about this test man... go to bed! I find that melatonin helps im stressed...
haha... is it that obvious. I'm seriously just sitting at my computer, finding reasons not to sleep. I should hit the sack soon though, ...class in the morning :(

The fat bitch had an attitude, when I asked to go on break. She said " HOLD A MINUTE" The bitch was finishing up a banana. Seriously? I have 10 minutes to go piss, eat, and get back to my test and you ask me to hold on. Not to mention the whole TSA security setup going on like I'm about to infiltrate Prometric.

God damn.
LOL, would have loved to see that exchange.

I came super early so I kinda waited as more people poured in. It was entertaining in a weird kind of way to see all the antsy premeds freaking out before the test. I felt so bad for one girl whose hands were shaking uncontrollably as she handed her driver's license and was asked to hold her hand still for the thumb print. Another student asked a million questions and you can almost hear the cracking in his voice... not gonna lie, it kinda alleviated some of my own stress before the exam.

LOL, would have loved to see that exchange.

I came super early so I kinda waited as more people poured in. It was entertaining in a weird kind of way to see all the antsy premeds freaking out before the test. I felt so bad for one girl whose hands were shaking uncontrollably as she handed her driver's license and was asked to hold her hand still for the thumb print. Another student asked a million questions and you can almost hear the cracking in his voice... not gonna lie, it kinda alleviated some of my own stress before the exam.
Same here, was definitely a little nervous, but knew a few people there since the center was so close to our college. The conversation helped calm down all of us a little bit.

My thoughts are similar to what some of you guys have already expressed:
PS - Meh, thought the section wasn't too bad overall but I was definitely pressed on time. Had around like 5 minutes to check over the questions I marked. It felt like some of the questions were taken right off test-prep books lol, like I've seen them before somewhere. Prediction: 10-12 :thinking:

VR - My weakest section. I guess-estimated on the first and last passage; thought the passages in between were okay. Overall, some of the questions felt very straightforward, while some others made me go on in circles. Prediction: 6-8 :sorry: (feel all of you who think they have to rewrite cause of this section)

BS - Found it easy, although there were some trick questions. I don't agree it was that experimental heavy - nowhere near as bad as AAMC 11 - thought it was more conceptual. I had good familiarity with most of the concepts tested (they focused 65% of the test on 2 overarching bio topics, and had about 20% ochem). Thanks to this section I was able to walk out with a decent feeling. Prediction: 11-13 :)

Trial Section: all biochemistry - I did some upper level biochem courses so that was helpful. Still, passages were dense and convoluted - definitely made my head hurt. Not looking forward to MCAT 2015 :sick:

Last edited:
yeah lol... some nervous people at my center too
I felt so bad...there was a guy at my center who wasn't allowed in to test because he had a passport card instead of a full passport. Only issue they had? No signature.
Really?!? Signatures are freaking meaningless for verification! Mine is different every day, practically! He had even called AAMC and Prometric ahead of time to make sure it was OK and had been told that it would be, but then they wouldn't let him test.
So.
Ridiculous.

Also, did the insane security measures force anyone else's brain into figuring out ways to circumvent them? I mean, I never would, but I must have brainstormed at least 4 ways to smuggle in stuff just because I always hate to pretend that security measures like that actually do anything other than discouraging casual, panicked, last-minute s

Reactions: 1 user
Last test taker of the day.

PS- Wasn't too bad. I think TBR and TPR hyperlearning were very good for this section. There were these two long calculation questions that I did not have enough time to do. However, I thought the section was okay after all. If I were to compare it to something, it felt more like AAMC 11.

Prediction: 8-9 (I am rounding down here, I usually get 10 average on practice exams)

VR- A little more difficult than the AAMC passages, but within the realm of reason. Best practice will always be the AAMC tests by far, TPR hyperlearning did help a little.

Prediction: 7-8 (again rounding down)

BS- Wasn't too bad either. Except I suck at O-chem and felt I got owned on the later passage, first one was easy. It was in line with the AAMC exams, but most comparable to AAMC 10 (no where near as experimental as AAMC 11). Best practice was TPR hyperlearning by a mile.

Prediction: 10-11 (yeah sounds about right)

Meh... I'll just be happy with a 26 or 27.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First time taking the MCAT.

I'm not sure what to say. I thought it was fairly difficult, however everything that was presented was something I had seen (or at least resembled) before in my preparation.

Verbal is my weakest section. The verbal on this section was a bit tough. I felt the passages to be a bit long, but that could be because of the monitors. I was on track for the first 3 passages, but then I noticed that I was going too slow, so I had to rush the last 4 passages and make educated guesses on a few of them.

My PS score varies a lot. Sometimes I score a 9 and other times I get 13 or 14. It really depends on the range of topics that are presented. I think I am fortunate in that no particular topic that I really struggled with was presented in the PS section. A point of interest for those of you who are preparing to write the 2014 exam: with this being my first time writing, I am confident to say that being able to apply you knowledge to new situations is key. There is one particular passage that discussed a very basic chemistry principle, however the authors altered the concepts that we are typically aware of and comfortable with to see how we would handle applying the new information. I'll admit, I was a bit flustered, but overall I think this section went fine. I did run out of time and has to completely guess on 4 questions, which is very unfortunate.

BS: Besides verbal, I was worried the most about this section, especially the experimental passages. However, I found this section to be the easiest of the three. Once again, very basic principles were presented in each of the passages. I did feel like this section was a bit orgo-heavy compared to some of the AAMC practice exams. I would say this this section resembles AAMC 10/11 BS. I did heavy post game analysis on this section in order to gain a solid grasp of experimental design and how to interpret experimental data. The graphs and tables presented were relatively straightforward. Unfortunately, there were some very specific questions that required specific answers and some of the passage questions had multiple good answers. I had to make quite a few educated guesses, but I feel confident that I did fine in this section.

I am not confident enough to estimate my score. I will likely sign up for the January test date upon receiving my scores next month. I have a clear idea of the difficulty of this exam and what I need to do to excel the next time around.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm not sure what to say. I thought it was fairly difficult, however everything that was presented was something I had seen (or at least resembled) before in my preparation.

Verbal is my weakest section. The verbal on this section was a bit tough. I felt the passages to be a bit long, but that could be because of the monitors. I was on track for the first 3 passages, but then I noticed that I was going too slow, so I had to rush the last 4 passages and make educated guesses on a few of them.

My PS score varies a lot. Sometimes I score a 9 and other times I get 13 or 14. It really depends on the range of topics that are presented. I think I am fortunate in that no particular topic that I really struggled with was presented in the PS section. A point of interest for those of you who are preparing to write the 2014 exam: with this being my first time writing, I am confident to say that being able to apply you knowledge to new situations is key. There is one particular passage that discussed a very basic chemistry principle, however the authors altered the concepts that we are typically aware of and comfortable with to see how we would handle applying the new information. I'll admit, I was a bit flustered, but overall I think this section went fine. I did run out of time and has to completely guess on 4 questions, which is very unfortunate.

BS: Besides verbal, I was worried the most about this section, especially the experimental passages. However, I found this section to be the easiest of the three. Once again, very basic principles were presented in each of the passages. I did feel like this section was a bit orgo-heavy compared to some of the AAMC practice exams. I would say this this section resembles AAMC 10/11 BS. I did heavy post game analysis on this section in order to gain a solid grasp of experimental design and how to interpret experimental data. The graphs and tables presented were relatively straightforward. Unfortunately, there were some very specific questions that required specific answers and some of the passage questions had multiple good answers. I had to make quite a few educated guesses, but I feel confident that I did fine in this section.

I am not confident enough to estimate my score. I will likely sign up for the January test date upon receiving my scores next month. I have a clear idea of the difficulty of this exam and what I need to do to excel the next time around.

ty i hope u do well
youve asked some really good questions ^^

I felt so bad...there was a guy at my center who wasn't allowed in to test because he had a passport card instead of a full passport. Only issue they had? No signature.
Really?!? Signatures are freaking meaningless for verification! Mine is different every day, practically! He had even called AAMC and Prometric ahead of time to make sure it was OK and had been told that it would be, but then they wouldn't let him test.
So.
Ridiculous.

Also, did the insane security measures force anyone else's brain into figuring out ways to circumvent them? I mean, I never would, but I must have brainstormed at least 4 ways to smuggle in stuff just because I always hate to pretend that security measures like that actually do anything other than discouraging casual, panicked, last-minute s

OMG thats so crazy.
I was so afraid of that too.
All morning, I kept checking whether I had my driver's license with me like every 2hours.
I feel so sorry for that person--- all the time and energy invested and money spent and all down to ZERO.

LUCK is heavily involved in this test.
Confidence I think also plays a very key role.

to be honest, though I completely failed it --- I feel a bit relieved that this exam is now over.
Atleast now, I can start meeting friends and family again, workout and get my life back.
Though I feel a bit scarred, Im still relieved its over.

Starting work back tomorrow. Had taken 3 weeks off.
Crazy how the whole summer has just gone in studying!
Should go to bed now. Gotta wake up early and start a new day.

My average on PS was a 10 but after this section it felt like I'm around the 7-8 range.

I've never felt this good about the verbal on any other practice test that I've have, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that I'll hit a 6-8.

Now BS, I loved this section. I took care of this section like a momma ostrich for its eggs.. around 10-12.

Hoping for the best, I really don't want to take this test again.

My average on PS was a 10 but after this section it felt like I'm around the 7-8 range.

I've never felt this good about the verbal on any other practice test that I've have, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that I'll hit a 6-8.

Now BS, I loved this section. I took care of this section like a momma ostrich for its eggs.. around 10-12.

Hoping for the best, I really don't want to take this test again.

Mirror twin... :)

Last 2 VR passages i was pressed for time, but particularly the last passage had me confused as all hell, didnt have time to read for comprehension. Retaking from last year to improve my VR from a 6. Praying for at least an 8 :(

I retook for PS.
I did very well on VR last time I took the MCAT, but I also thought yesterday's was very hard. I don't do them in order, so I don't remember what the last passage was, but I know there were two passages that were challenging, but one of them had me totally confused. Like I said, I usually do very well with verbal, but I've never had one that difficult. I'm hoping my score doesnt change! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
If you guys were to retake it again, what would you do differently to improve your score?

I would focus on passage comprehension more. When doing post-game analysis of passages, it is not only crucial to look at how to tackle a concept, but how to tackle the passages better. A good chunk of the questions can be answered with passage understand alone (yes even PS). Even when going through passages, note your comprehension of the main message of the passage. This is what separates the 10 + scoring people from the <10 people for a section.

WHAT UP!!!! First time taking the MCAT and my last... hopefully.
Impressions: Overall I didn't think it was that bad. Some weird questions here and there and the verbal passages were a little long and convoluted. But I didn't think it was as hard as I was expecting. Hope my thought aren't a false sense of security...

PS: The passages were not that bad. I used like two physics equations lol. Which I was annoyed about cause I memorized all of them. The concepts weren't that bad if you had a basic understanding of the topics. But they did ask basic concepts in a very weird way, but the questions were not to bad overall. Most of the questions I thought you could answer without the passage. Some random questions that I thought didn't fit. Couple discrete were really weird. But I didn't fell like I had to guess that much. Also, I don't think the curve will be that generous based on all the responses. Unless all the test takers that were lost aren't saying anything. Lol. Which is a hope of mine. Prediction 10-12. Depends if I got lucky a few times.

VR: Who knows. The passages were pretty long and two of them were just ******ed... Again, who knows. Prediction 8-9

Bio: Was not that bad. Couple O chemo passages but the questions were not bad. The Bio passages were a lot easier than past tests were. I just hope that I didn't over look anything. Some weird questions throughout, but I feel pretty good. But the curve won't be that great. Most of the questions were just to easy. Prediction 10-12, depends on luck of a few questions.

Overall score: 27-30. I might get higher if luck was on my side. Lower if not. But you never know.
Anything over 27 I will be happy. I am applying very broad and I don't mind going to a DO school. My EC are great and I've worked in an ER for a year and been a co-author on a paper. I just want one place to say yes lol. Hope everyone got what they wanted and we all become physicians.

If you guys were to r*etake it again, what would you do differently to improve your score?

I took the MCAT twice; 6 weeks apart. Both exams were very different from each other, and also different from the AAMC exams. Even the ratios of Chem/Physics and Bio/OChem were drastically different. That being said, it is difficult to specifically advocate which subject(s) on which to focus, and at what level of difficulty.

If I could go back in time, I would ... ahem ... devote much more time to prep in general. I admit to putting in maybe 20% effort (my job and paid research fellowship carried through the summer, plus a crazy non-trad primary/secondary app & personal statement). What would I do with the extra study time? Timed experiment/assay passages and building up endurance for the VR section.

The MCAT material is not that hard at all. You can answer about half of the PS & BS passage questions very quickly without even reading the passage (they're pretty much discreet questions in disguise). The other half of the passage questions are a different beast; they require you to read tables, pull out random facts, or compare experimental results ... all time-consuming and tests of critical thinking. It is absolutely critical that you focus on this versus the discreet questions; in fact, the bona fide discreet questions are typically easy.

As for VR, I would find the longest and most dense/convoluted passages from TPR, BR, etc., and do 3-4 of them back-to-back to build endurance. Don't even waste your time doing short or easy passages.

Highest yield for me: the AAMC diagnostics package, AAMC exams, two semesters of A&P, and one semester of Cell Bio.

Are we not allowed to asked each other about particular questions from the exam? I was so frustrated with PS and BS....

Are we not allowed to asked each other about particular questions from the exam? I was so frustrated with PS and BS....

Not really; the NDA/Confidentially agreement explicitly says we cannot ... and I believe SDN also has rules re: such. If you have a particular MCAT question in mind, I would develop a similar question and ask *that* instead.

WHAT UP!!!! First time taking the MCAT and my last... hopefully.
Impressions: Overall I didn't think it was that bad. Some weird questions here and there and the verbal passages were a little long and convoluted. But I didn't think it was as hard as I was expecting. Hope my thought aren't a false sense of security...

PS: The passages were not that bad. I used like two physics equations lol. Which I was annoyed about cause I memorized all of them. The concepts weren't that bad if you had a basic understanding of the topics. But they did ask basic concepts in a very weird way, but the questions were not to bad overall. Most of the questions I thought you could answer without the passage. Some random questions that I thought didn't fit. Couple discrete were really weird. But I didn't fell like I had to guess that much. Also, I don't think the curve will be that generous based on all the responses. Unless all the test takers that were lost aren't saying anything. Lol. Which is a hope of mine. Prediction 10-12. Depends if I got lucky a few times.

VR: Who knows. The passages were pretty long and two of them were just ******ed... Again, who knows. Prediction 8-9

Bio: Was not that bad. Couple O chemo passages but the questions were not bad. The Bio passages were a lot easier than past tests were. I just hope that I didn't over look anything. Some weird questions throughout, but I feel pretty good. But the curve won't be that great. Most of the questions were just to easy. Prediction 10-12, depends on luck of a few questions.

Overall score: 27-30. I might get higher if luck was on my side. Lower if not. But you never know.
Anything over 27 I will be happy. I am applying very broad and I don't mind going to a DO school. My EC are great and I've worked in an ER for a year and been a co-author on a paper. I just want one place to say yes lol. Hope everyone got what they wanted and we all become physicians.
Nitpicky, I know, but keep in mind that the MCAT is not curved, it's scaled...our opinions or how we did are inconsequential. It's how well everyone before us has done that counts!

Ok, tell me if the following question is appropriate...
By itself it's fine, but you'd be better off posting it independently as a question elsewhere so as not to imply that certain subjects were or were not covered on your exam. Also, in this case, it's about 30s of Googling, so why risk it over something which could be answered by a simple search?

Last edited:
Nitpicky, I know, but keep in mind that the MCAT is not curved, it's scaled...our opinions or how we did are inconsequential. It's how well everyone before us has done that counts!
Why would it matter about the people who took other tests? I am just hoping I can miss more questions to get higher score lol. THanks for the heads up.

Why would it matter about the people who took other tests? I am just hoping I can miss more questions to get higher score lol. THanks for the heads up.
It's because the questions that were on the Aug 27 exam were (all) on previous exams. They put them on earlier exams, and because of this, they are able to set up a scale for our exam before we even take it.

It's because the questions that were on the Aug 27 exam were (all) on previous exams. They put them on earlier exams, and because of this, they are able to set up a scale for our exam before we even take it.
I guess that makes sense. Well then it shouldn't toke 30 days then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope we killed it.

Yeah, so is mehc012!
As for my impressions...
PS was meh...I ended up taking almost the entire allotment of time, which I think was mostly due to triple-quadruple checking every calculation! However, the only AAMC which I took so long on was 11, where I only got a 13, so... :nailbiting:
I honestly couldn't tell you whether it was chem or physics based...the chem tends to come easily to me, so the physics always sticks out :shrug: However, there were 2-3 questions where I caught the trick right as I was about to move on and had to change my answer. I don't know whether that means I caught most of them and am good or whether they were trying to make things subtle and therefore I should be concerned (missing things in the question/reading is the biggest source of any wrong answers for me).
I'm thinking 13-14, as I never scored outside that range on FLs.

VR I thought was great. Most of them made sense, I had very few tossups, those that I did I eventually came to a reasonable answer by eliminating an option, etc. Finished ~20min early.
Probably a 14 by feel, but my spidey sense on VR is notoriously unreliable, so anywhere from 12-15. Again, never scored below that on FLs, even when I stupidly skipped a question.

BS was normal...nothing special, nothing too difficult. There was one orgo question, which, as an orgo major, I thought was an extremely poor question, as there were 2 correct answer choices. I felt like this went par for the course for me in BS, which would make it around a 14. Anywhere from 13-15, I suppose.

So, unless my worst-case-scenario guesses are wild overestimates, that puts me at 13/12/13 if everything went as badly as possible, which is the composite my lowest subsection scores on FLs...and is also within my happy range!

Sidenote: I am so glad I'm not doing next year's MCAT, not because of difficulty, per se, but because complex biochem pathways are just exhausting to read. That's all I got for my trial, which is odd considering that I have taken Biochem and Neuro, yes, but also tons of Psych and some Socio. I really feel that those passages were just disporportionately draining...combined with the extended length of the test? I'm glad to pass on that, not due to difficulty/score, but just due to sheer misery of taking that exam.
I personally thought even the psychology passages were difficult! They were more difficult/draining to me than the verbal. That could have been, though, because it was based off of actual content we would otherwise be comfortable with, and also because I decided not to take my 10 minute break after the BS section - I just wanted to get out of there. It was surprisingly difficult, though.

By itself it's fine, but you'd be better off posting it independently as a question elsewhere so as not to imply that certain subjects were or were not covered on your exam. Also, in this case, it's about 30s of Googling, so why risk it over something which could be answered by a simple search?
Hey would you be cool with deleteing this post? I just want to cover my bases incase my question wasnt ok.

Hmm. I wonder if they ever alter any of the scales if they see any large discrepancy between testing dates. . . (wishful thinking)

Does anyone remember how many total questions the last 2 VR passages combined for? I think they ahve to be less than or equal to 10 total questions but I can't really remember.

never seen so many positive responses to an mcat, the post about using '2 physics equations' sounds like a dream...hoping your all just geniuses and this wasn't a good test to take, hoping changing dates doesn't screw me over :oops:

did you guys find doing the last 1/3 useful?? i don't even know if its helping me at this point

never seen so many positive responses to an mcat, the post about using '2 physics equations' sounds like a dream...hoping your all just geniuses and this wasn't a good test to take, hoping changing dates doesn't screw me over :oops:

did you guys find doing the last 1/3 useful?? i don't even know if its helping me at this point
I didn't bother...I did flashcards which I felt covered the 're-review' aspect. As long as you have some way of refamiliarizing yourself with the topics in the last month or so you are golden.

LOL don't worry about it. I think we all lucked out (then again a good chunk of the test takers on this date were geniuses, but I wasn't so rest assured). I was about to do the August 7th exam, but I am very glad I did not do it.

If you have been doing very well on TBR, then I don't think you need to worry about the last 1/3. I did TBR and TPRH, and this was the best combo by far (for physics and chemistry). Make sure you work on passage comprehension, you won't believe how much that saved me on this exam.

i dont understand why it takes 30days to release the score?
I mean there is no written to mark either now! -- like why take so long to release it?
Im sure they actually can just release it in like a day.

i dont understand why it takes 30days to release the score?
I mean there is no written to mark either now! -- like why take so long to release it?
Im sure they actually can just release it in like a day.

Probably to allow people time to mope so that they second guess their performance so it's either a pleasant surprise or not a shocker when the scores are released.

Or they just re-check questions for any possible errors? Who knows

those verbal passages were insane. I scored 11-12 on my AAMC's and I was crunched for time on those and on top of that the last passage was rough. Pretty spooked actually

After some googling I was able to find quite a few of our verbal passages. I can say with at least some relief that some of the questions asked in the 2-3 hard passages turned out to have really straightforward answers. Phew. Maybe now I'll be able to sleep this month.