*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2012-2013*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it matter if we get a non-science LOR from a adjunct professor w/ a master's degree or a regular professor w/ a Ph.D? With the Adjunct, I was the only science major in her education class, so I definitely stood out and the class was much smaller (most recent). In the Ph.D.-level english professor class, I was the only non-english, science major but I don't know if I stood out as much in her class; other than not being an english major. Both knew I was interested in medicine and neuroscience. The recency is only by a semester b/t them. I took the american lit class last winter trimester and the education class last spring trimester? Any advice? Otherwise, I would go back and ask a psych professor from 4 years ago. I did well in both classes and was very attentive and personable.

Members don't see this ad.

When is too late to ask for a recommendation? I am starting this week and am meeting with one of my profs next Wednesday.

1) Did you guys send your PS/CV/Transcripts/Thank you via Interfolio, or did you send two separate e-mails?

2) What instruction did you give professors about how to upload the LOR to Interfolio?

3) I am asking professors from abroad following a verbal confirmation in person before the end of last semester. What do I do if a professor is not responding to any e-mails?

Thanks, :love:
-V

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I posted my question in the other thread by mistake: I am applying to a post bacc program and I need LORs. I have been out of school since 2010 (and the last few classes I took I performed less than stellar in) and haven't worked in a year. Needless to say I am having a big difficulty figuring out where I can get LOR's from. Should I go back and ask old employers for a letter? Also, would it look bad if a family member who is an M.D. writes me an LOR?

Hey guys in terms of who writes them, should these LORs be OK?
1.) PI of over 2 years (took science class with him and research)
2.) Professor from Microbio lab course
3.) Supervisor of humanities research project (took classes with him too)
4.) Supervisor of humanities research project (took classes with him too)
5.) Professor from a graduate medical anthropology course

Other options would be my hospital volunteer coordinator and a surgeon I shadowed for a while (I'm guessing I should skip those?).

I will probably submit my AMCAS in mid June after getting my MCAT scores on 6/19. However, I believe I don't meet with my university pre-health committee until 6/15 so I'm not sure when their letter would be submitted. Will schools still send me secondary applications if my primary, transcripts, and MCAT are in but LORs are not?

Also, when my school submits their committee letter, are they suppose to send the other letters with it as a packet or just their committee letter? I had 2 professors, my PI, a physician, and a supervisor write letters directed to my pre-health advisor.

Seeing this thread made me even more anxious that application season is coming up. AHHH! :eek:

Anyway, I asked the following people for letters of recommendation:
1). My organic chemistry professor
2). My zoology professor
3). One English professor

Is this enough?

Quick interfolio question. Do I have to send each letter separately from interfolio to AMCAS in order to apply the letter IDs to them? Or do I have the option of sending all of the letters at once and assigning each letter a different ID within interfolio? Because I have my letters on interfolio all ready to go, just need my letter IDs when the applications open.

I mean it's not that big of a deal...a savings of like $18 since each letter sent cost $6 to send lol...I was just curious.

I just started research this semester and I'm also taking a class with the professor/PI.

My question is, would I be required to get an LOR from him, being that he is my PI? If so, would the letter include info about both the research and the class? What kind of LOR should I expect from him if I have only been in his class/research lab for 1 semester? If I don't get a letter from him, would I not be able to list the lab as research experience?

And lastly, if I am to get an LOR from him, given this short time span. What do you guys recommend I do to make sure he writes the best one possible?

Thanks a lot.

I asked for a letter from one of my bio professor, and she was "Sure, I can write one". Not terribly excited but pleasant. I gave her my CV and PS, and she finally handed me in the letter yesterday.

I didn't open it, of course, but I could make out words like,"She is an excellent student with a 3.49 GPA bla..bla...blaa, received an A in my class...active in community" and ends with "I believe thelullaby99 will be an asset to your school and I recommend her for an admission".

Is this a good letter? I am particularly worried the way she described my GPA as equaled of being an excellent student :oops:. What do you guys think?

My other letters come from a TA who really liked my work, a pre-health advisor, and a statistics prof who were really enthusiastic in me pursuing medicine.

I am currently waitlisted at two schools and the application cycle is coming up again soon here. I was wondering if I should (or will) have to ask my letter writers for another letter if I have to reapply. I am definitely asking for an updated letter from my PI and a couple other professors, but a few letters I would like to let roll over if AMCAS allows that. I know most sections carry over, but I didn't know if this was one of them. Any help would be much appreciated. Gracias :D

I am currently waitlisted at two schools and the application cycle is coming up again soon here. I was wondering if I should (or will) have to ask my letter writers for another letter if I have to reapply. I am definitely asking for an updated letter from my PI and a couple other professors, but a few letters I would like to let roll over if AMCAS allows that. I know most sections carry over, but I didn't know if this was one of them. Any help would be much appreciated. Gracias :D
Merging. Here's your answer https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/148180/amcas_2010_faqs-17.20.html

I asked for a letter from one of my bio professor, and she was "Sure, I can write one". Not terribly excited but pleasant. I gave her my CV and PS, and she finally handed me in the letter yesterday.

I didn't open it, of course, but I could make out words like,"She is an excellent student with a 3.49 GPA bla..bla...blaa, received an A in my class...active in community" and ends with "I believe thelullaby99 will be an asset to your school and I recommend her for an admission".

Is this a good letter? I am particularly worried the way she described my GPA as equaled of being an excellent student :oops:. What do you guys think?

My other letters come from a TA who really liked my work, a pre-health advisor, and a statistics prof who were really enthusiastic in me pursuing medicine.

tbh, why did she even mention your GPA? is it possible to get it from another professor?

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive me if this question has been asked, but I'm incredibly confused about the LOR submission process. For Interfolio, can my professor ELECTRONICALLY submit it to Interfolio?

I had my letter writers send a hard copy to Interfolio, and the only thing they had to do was write the letter on their letterhead, and include a special Interfolio barcode page that I already printed out and gave to them.

How long did it take for Interfolio to process the LOR that was sent by the writer? What is the address, and if my professor decides to hand-write it, should I pay for priority mail?

Interfolio was great for me, so long as you're not pressed for time, it shouldn't take too long if your LoR writer mails it in. I'd recommend it.

Maybe a couple days in the mail, and another couple days to process it. Interfolio keeps you informed of the status of each letter, what they are doing with it, when they are done, etc.

The biggest delay is getting your letter writer to write and mail the damn thing in the first place. This can take months. Adding a few days doesn't delay things measurably. Once interfolio has the letter it they can zap it to amcas electronically. Also keep in mind that LORs are like the MCAT - they are necessary for a complete secondary but won't delay primary processing, won't delay secondary essay processing, and can be added long after the primary has been submitted.

The interfolio mailing address is on the barcode sheet of paper that you print from the interfolio website and give to your LOR writer. Again I don't see the point in having it sent priority. Just make sure your letter writes the thing sooner rather than later and you will be fine. That's the biggest source of LOR delays.

The FAQ says 2 science professors. Would a PI count towards one of those two? I really want to limit the amount of letters from professors who barely got to know me as much as possible. Thanks.

The FAQ says 2 science professors. Would a PI count towards one of those two? I really want to limit the amount of letters from professors who barely got to know me as much as possible. Thanks.

It will count at some schools but doesn't fill the traditional requirement. It's best to contact schools you're interested in to ask.

tbh, why did she even mention your GPA? is it possible to get it from another professor?

I have no idea. I feel like that particular sentence is borderline sarcastic, but it's just my feeling. And also, I just realized that since my GPA is now higher than that (due to transfer credits), should I bother to ask her to change it?

PS. I have 4 letters, 3 is required and 5 is the maximum. I just want to make sure that I can choose when it comes the time to submit.

i was looking around the threads -- so LOR's aren't required for the PRIMARY app (meaning I can get verified without them) but they ARE required for secondaries. is this true?

OK, I need help.

I keep reading the school info and even called the office but the girl could only refer me back to the website.

So basically my school utilizes VitrualEval in our pre-health department.

Here is a brief description I got

Keep in mind that at the time a student applies to professional school, they will need letters of recommendation. Most professional schools require a minimum of three letters of recommendation: two science and one non-science. Recommendation forms are available in the Health Professions Advising Office. Professional schools will sometimes request a recommendation from a pre-health advisory committee; at this university, the student determines their own committee by selecting the professors they want to write recommendation letters. The Health Professions Advisng Office then includes a cover letter with the faculty letters and submits the package as a committee recommendation. The Pre-health Professions Advising Office serves as the collection center for the faculty letters and assumes responsibility for forwarding copies to the professional schools at the student's request.

The student is encouraged to get to know their professors so that recommendation letters reflect familiarity with the student and pertinent observations of abilities and performance. Letters give depth to an application and dimension to the applicant.

In brief, the office collects the letters into one document, scans that document and saves it as a single PDF file. When a student requests that we transmit the letters, the file is uploaded to the secure Web system, VirtualEvals. The VirtualEvals system then sends the student an email to let them know that their letters are available to medical schools. And it alerts medical schools to which the student is applying that their letters are available on VirtualEvals. The packet of letters includes the following: a copy of all letters the student has indicated on the list of evaluators filed in our office.

Medical schools have individual passwords to access the VirtualEvals site. They can see and download only the files for applicants who have applied to their particular school. Likewise, an advisor using VirtualEvals can only see the records for applicants from his/her school.

What is the advantage of VirtualEvals to you, the applicant?
This system is more cost-efficient and more time efficient. Using VirtualEvals allow letters to reach the medical schools quicker than traditional mail.

When do you request us to transmit your letters?
After a student submits their application to AMCAS, AMCAS will verify the student's application and then transmit it to the student's designated schools. At that time, students will begin to receive requests from schools to complete their secondary/supplemental application.

In addition to the request itself, we will need to know the following:

If the student is applying to TMDSAS or a non-AMCAS school.
If the student has added any schools to the list they included when they initially submitted AMCA.
If the student is applying to any osteopathic schools, and if so, which ones.
We have access to an "Advisor Information Service" from AMCAS, through which we can get the student's AAMC ID and a list of the schools the student designated when they initially filed their AMCAS application. But we will not be alerted if the student adds any schools after their initial designation.

I think I have a reading comprehension issue because I am not clear on whether this is a committee letter or a letter packet?

I will be applying in 2014 cycle and would like to get my recommendation now. Can I use this service to hold it until then?

Does this service forward letters directly to school or to AMCAS? If directly to school, is it a good idea to use it?

If I would like to designate specific letter to different schools can I do it using this service? Will all my letter be lumped together regardless of whether I want only certain schools to receive certain letter?

Should I use this or do Interfolio instead? Since it mentions something about committee letter, I am worried that if I don't use this, it may end up hurting my application by raising a red flag?

Sorry for such a long questions but I really need help. Thank you.

I'm slightly confused. I was under the impression that letter writers could submit letters to Interfolio at anytime and then you could send them to amcas come May 1st. But I have been looking over the amcas instruction manual (https://www.aamc.org/students/download/131750/data/2012amcasinstructionmanual.pdf) and on page 58 it says this

1) Does your letter writer have to include your amcas ID when they submit the letter to interfolio or can I add that at a later date?

2) To this same point kinda, can I use the letters that were sent to amcas through interfolio as additional letters to send directly to TMDSAS schools if they take additional letters (beyond the three TMDSAS will store and forward for you)? or are they going to need to include my TMDSAS ID on them that I will not be able to add?

Thanks!

1. Yes. You can add that later when you send the letter to AMCAS from interfolio.

2. Don't know enough about TMDSAS.

Yup, Interfolio lets you attach both the necessary AAMC ID and the AMCAS Letter ID to the letter long after it has been written and submitted. It's quick, easy, and convenient.

I had my letter writers send a hard copy to Interfolio, and the only thing they had to do was write the letter on their letterhead, and include a special Interfolio barcode page that I already printed out and gave to them.

While I did not participate in TMDSAS, I did apply to another state that is non-AMCAS (North Dakota) and Interfolio let me include whatever identifiers that North Dakota needed instead. I'm certain Interfolio accommodates TMDSAS as well so you can reuse your letters if you wish.

It's really a slick system and I was a very satisfied customer.

Thanks guys!

How long did it take for Interfolio to process the LOR that was sent by the writer? What is the address, and if my professor decides to hand-write it, should I pay for priority mail?

Interfolio was great for me, so long as you're not pressed for time, it shouldn't take too long if your LoR writer mails it in. I'd recommend it.

Maybe a couple days in the mail, and another couple days to process it. Interfolio keeps you informed of the status of each letter, what they are doing with it, when they are done, etc.

The biggest delay is getting your letter writer to write and mail the damn thing in the first place. This can take months. Adding a few days doesn't delay things measurably. Once interfolio has the letter it they can zap it to amcas electronically. Also keep in mind that LORs are like the MCAT - they are necessary for a complete secondary but won't delay primary processing, won't delay secondary essay processing, and can be added long after the primary has been submitted.

The interfolio mailing address is on the barcode sheet of paper that you print from the interfolio website and give to your LOR writer. Again I don't see the point in having it sent priority. Just make sure your letter writes the thing sooner rather than later and you will be fine. That's the biggest source of LOR delays.

i was looking around the threads -- so LOR's aren't required for the PRIMARY app (meaning I can get verified without them) but they ARE required for secondaries. is this true?
Merging

OK, I need help.

I keep reading the school info and even called the office but the girl could only refer me back to the website.

So basically my school utilizes VitrualEval in our pre-health department.

Here is a brief description I got

I think I have a reading comprehension issue because I am not clear on whether this is a committee letter or a letter packet?

I will be applying in 2014 cycle and would like to get my recommendation now. Can I use this service to hold it until then?

Does this service forward letters directly to school or to AMCAS? If directly to school, is it a good idea to use it?

If I would like to designate specific letter to different schools can I do it using this service? Will all my letter be lumped together regardless of whether I want only certain schools to receive certain letter?

Should I use this or do Interfolio instead? Since it mentions something about committee letter, I am worried that if I don't use this, it may end up hurting my application by raising a red flag?

Sorry for such a long questions but I really need help. Thank you.
They send the letters to VirtualEvals. VirtualEvals sends the letters to AMCAS as a letter packet. You then assign the letters to each school. It sounds like your school uses the letter packet as a sort-of committee letter. The terminology they're using is a little confusing but I'm going to assume that you'll be covered at most schools

You can't send LORs directly to most medical schools. You have to get the LORs to AMCAS in some way. Your school is paying for the use of VirtualEvals to help the process move smoothly

I'm graduating this May and am applying this upcoming cycle taking a gap year in between. I have two good LOR writers lined up , one from the research lab I've been working in for about 10 hours a week for 2 years and another from a plastic surgeon back home who I shadowed extensively. So that leaves me looking for a didactic science teacher or two to write one.

I go to a large state school so the only science class I've had with less than 75 people in it was this past semester. I'm more on the introverted side so I typically only ask a few questions a semester to profs after class so I figured the prof from this smaller class would be good to ask since the class required participation, he knows my name, and I did well on my large class presentation. I went to ask today and the first thing he said "Do you know anyone else that knows you better?" :scared:. I told him not really and explained my situation and he said he'd do it. I'm guessing it's going to be a pretty generalized LOR . Which leads me to ask: Should I even bother fishing for another LOR from another science prof which also will probably be pretty general just so I can fulfill the typical "2 didactic science" requirement?

Most schools seem to have a requirement of 2 science letters and 1 non-science letter.

I understand your situation though. I'm currently having difficulty finding a non-science professor to write me a letter.

My PI was my science professor first, and then I got into her research lab after taking her class. Would her letter count as a science LOR, even if she writes about my work in her lab? Thanks for your help guys :)

Hi everyone,
I had my LORs written in 2010, when I was in my junior year of college because I was planning to apply that summer/fall for Fall 2011 entrance, but ended up not applying until this past cycle.
I am going to be re-applying for this upcoming cycle, and my school's pre-med adviser recommended that I ask my professors for an update to my letters since they were from 2 years ago. I do keep in touch with those professors, but how should I go about asking them/should I even ask them?

Thanks in advance.

Which carries more weight? A letter from a boss youve worked for for 2 years, or a mentor who has seen you develop for 7, but was never your supervisor?

Which carries more weight? A letter from a boss youve worked for for 2 years, or a mentor who has seen you develop for 7, but was never your supervisor?

What is the professional title of your mentor?

Some schools have the option of using the committee letter, or using individual letters from professors. Which one is more advantageous? I'm getting a committee letter and individual letters, but I'm at a loss as to which ones I should use if the school only asks for one or the other.

Any of you guys know if Psychology professors are considered "science faculties"? I'm taking a Biopsychology course and I'm considering asking him for a recommendation letter, but I'm not sure if this meets the requirement.

Biopsychology is pushing closer to a "science" class (i.e. one for which the grade would factor into your sGPA) but in general social sciences professors are not the hard science professors that schools are looking to hear from in a "science" letter.

I used a psych prof for a science letter, but psychology is in the science department at my school, and my pre-med advisor said it was fine.. No one brought it up during interviews, so I assume it's okay.

I used a psych prof for a science letter, but psychology is in the science department at my school, and my pre-med advisor said it was fine.. No one brought it up during interviews, so I assume it's okay.

Interesting.

So do all chem/physics/biology/psych classes begin by a generic SCI or something?

Hello

I am working on getting Science LORs from my professors and was wondering what courses are actually considered "science" by med schools. Are they the typical pre-req science courses such as Chem, Ochem, bio, physics; or are other smaller courses within my major (which is Biology) also fall under the "science" category. Im taking some smaller upper-level life science courses required by major this summer and since they tend to have less students, I figured it might be easier to make a good solid impression on the professors leading to a good letter.

You have the right idea. The general SDN consensus for obtaining letters is to get one from a prof that knows you well. So, your small upper-div biology class will be perfect for that!

The classes you list work for obtaining letters. I got one each from my General Physics and Calc profs.

Good luck~!!

I got a letter from my research mentor 2 years ago upon my graduation and finally I'm planning to apply this year. This is my first time applying so this letter has not been used yet, but I was wondering if it's okay to just use it or should I contact him for any kind of updates and ask them if he can re-submit. This letter is one of the important ones so I wanna make sure everything is okay...

Also, I don't he put my AMCAS ID on actual letter so maybe I should contact him either way for edition? I was just wondering this kind of thing is common thing to do...

Any advice?

Thanks!!!!

I got a letter from my research mentor 2 years ago upon my graduation and finally I'm planning to apply this year. This is my first time applying so this letter has not been used yet, but I was wondering if it's okay to just use it or should I contact him for any kind of updates and ask them if he can re-submit. This letter is one of the important ones so I wanna make sure everything is okay...

Also, I don't he put my AMCAS ID on actual letter so maybe I should contact him either way for edition? I was just wondering this kind of thing is common thing to do...

Any advice?

Thanks!!!!

Contact and have fresh letter if at all possible

Same with my school as well as two nearby schools. I was wondering the same thing as the OP; glad someone asked.

Any advice?

Thanks!!!!

Contact and have fresh letter if at all possible
Merging

Any of you guys know if Psychology professors are considered "science faculties"? I'm taking a Biopsychology course and I'm considering asking him for a recommendation letter, but I'm not sure if this meets the requirement.

Biopsychology is pushing closer to a "science" class (i.e. one for which the grade would factor into your sGPA) but in general social sciences professors are not the hard science professors that schools are looking to hear from in a "science" letter.

Interesting.

So do all chem/physics/biology/psych classes begin by a generic SCI or something?

No, it's Psyc, Chem, Cell (for cell bio), Ebio (evolutionary bio), Neur (Neuroscience)

Same with my school as well as two nearby schools. I was wondering the same thing as the OP; glad someone asked.
Merging

Any class that alters your science GPA counts as a science class.

Status
Not open for further replies.