Official MCW Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akpete

Drinks, anyone?
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. Anyone else out there? More importantly, does anyone know anything? And did we ever clear up the priority alternate list vs. waitlist question? Well, good luck to everyone. I can't wait until I can get my rank and have some sort of idea where I stand!

Members don't see this ad.

akpete said:
Hi guys. Anyone else out there? More importantly, does anyone know anything? And did we ever clear up the priority alternate list vs. waitlist question? Well, good luck to everyone. I can't wait until I can get my rank and have some sort of idea where I stand!

I called; apparently even though we haven't been ranked yet, according to the office, Priority >> Regular. We all aren't priority, apparently.

Yes, I'm eager to find out my rank as well. I just hope to be 40 or above, I heard the least they took in the past couple of years was ~48. One time they took in 100. In anycase, to the 20th!

Awesome. Thanks for the info Loco! Appreciate it. I'm on the priority alternate, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Esp since someone just posted on Tulane's waitlist thread that their list really isn't moving at all. Although I should be thankful...I do have an acceptance at Ros Franklin.

Which list are you on? I wonder if each list will be ranked together, or separately from each other. I would guess together, but you never know.

Good luck Loco Loki! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
akpete said:
Awesome. Thanks for the info Loco! Appreciate it. I'm on the priority alternate, so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Esp since someone just posted on Tulane's waitlist thread that their list really isn't moving at all. Although I should be thankful...I do have an acceptance at Ros Franklin.

Which list are you on? I wonder if each list will be ranked together, or separately from each other. I would guess together, but you never know.

Good luck Loco Loki! :luck:

I'm on priority as well. I still don't know how we are placed if WE AREN'T RANKED YET. It kinda bothers me, but I called twice and emailed. Something still doesn't add up.

Your idea is interesting, the seperate ranking that is. Maybe they do that. Possibly they get a general idea of where a student should be, then rank them later. Also, I don't know what the priority/other ratio is; everyone on SDN seems to be priority as well.

My two top choices from almost the start of the app proces (MCW and AECOM) put me in fancy-dan waitlist categories, the irony... neither have moved all that much, and it has me bitin' my nails to no end. "Favorable" "Priority" LET ME IN DAMMIT!

Also, Istwan with his emails. My mom compared it to a guy advertising a buffet to a starving man. Yes, look at these wonderful opportunities here... but you can't have them! Not yet, and maybe not ever! MUWAHAHAHA! I wish he would just assume we are all intrested, he is going a tad bit overboard. Anyway, good luck to you too, and to everyone with us! :luck:

I called 2 days ago and they told me my rank. How come they're telling you guys that they haven't ranked you yet? And can someone explain the 2 lists? I'm confused...

a*brown said:
I called 2 days ago and they told me my rank. How come they're telling you guys that they haven't ranked you yet? And can someone explain the 2 lists? I'm confused...

WHAT!!!!!!!

Holy mother of hell, they lied to us?!

They said they wouldn't tell us our rank till the 20th! OMGWTFBBQOML!!!!

This calls for some calls! Phones away!

Loco Loki said:
WHAT!!!!!!!

Holy mother of hell, they lied to us?!

They said they wouldn't tell us our rank till the 20th! OMGWTFBBQOML!!!!

This calls for some calls! Phones away!

When did they tell you this? This week? Because I called on Monday, 16th. Lemme what you find out!

Well, I called again. Yes, there are indeed two lists, and they will indeed tell you your rank...

There are 160 people on the priority wait list apparently as well. This leads me to belive that the two lists are as follows: the waitlist, and everyone else who doesn't have a chance, but incase of some incredble disaster that happens to kill off everyone, they exist. Which leads me to ask if they actually reject anyone, or they just leave people in purgatory.

IT IS SET IN STONE, NO UPDATES HELP, DAMMIT!

So from what I asked:
1.) NO MOVEMENT HAS OCCURED YET
2.) There are 160 people on the Priority waitlist
3.) Least they ever accepted was 50%, most was all of it, and they dipped to the other list.
4.) Those on the top will probably hear if they will get in at the end of this month.
5.) Nothing we can do about our rank at all. Period. Sucks much.
6.) Bunch of other stuff, but it boils down to this: if you are 80 or above, yay, you will most likely get in. However, this year may be really bad. I asked them predicted movement and they said they didn't know.

But no matter where you are, don't sweat it. Fate will take care of the rest now.

Loco,

When you called did you get your exact position on the waitlist? My roommate is still waiting and planned to call on the 20th, but if you can find out now I'll let him know.

Thanks!

godawgs39 said:
Loco,

When you called did you get your exact position on the waitlist? My roommate is still waiting and planned to call on the 20th, but if you can find out now I'll let him know.

Thanks!

I found out the exact date of my death... err, I mean, I found out my exact number. Yes, where I am on the list I did indeed find out. Although I wish I wouldn't have. Next time Istwan emails me I'll let him know that he isn't a very funny man.

I'm in the 30s out of the 160.

Just wanted to let you guys on the waitlist know that when I interviewed at MCW the director of admissions said that 4 years ago they went through their entire waitlist! So good luck it could happen.

Found out I'm 100/160.

I just wanted to know my place before withdrawing, and will try to do so speedily for all you below me. (Unlike last year, I have another option). Though based on my experience last year, I wouldn't be too optimistic if you're below 30, and encourage you to not hold out too much hope for it, esp if you have other good options). If you're asking what the hell do I know -- last year I was 35/135. I inched up slowly, to the point of being number 3 by the time the waitlist closed after the first week of orientation. Man did my summer suck. Man did it suck to get that close and not get in. I'd heard that the previous year 60 people were accepted off the list, so I started out very optimistic about my chances, b/c hey, 35 is waaaaay lower than 60. I wanted to leave anyway, but feeling like I had a good chance of getting in was part of why I left my job.

Anyway, water under the bridge. I'm not quite as bitter as all that sounds I wish everyone on the list the best of luck, especially those for whom this is the only option to get in this year. But waiting a year, while not what anyone wants, is also a surviveable setback.

Members don't see this ad :)
AAAhhhh, it's 5:45 now. I have to wait til tomorrow to get my number. :scared: *bites nails nervously* Oh well, that's better than having to wait til the 20th.

So I called MCW today to make sure my phone number is correct and to get my rank. My phone number is right, which is a sigh of relief by itself. However, she told me that my rank is 20 out of 54. Why was I told out of 54, when everyone else was told 160? :confused:

I called them this morning to find out my spot, and they told me 8/46. So we officially have waiting list sizes of 160, 50 and 46? What's going on?

i emailed and they responded with 37/169
so now im confused

i just called and they said there are 2 lists for alternate
i guess the BIG 170 one is for out of state and the small one 50 is for instate

hope that clears everything up (right from admissions office mouth)

take care

What the hell? So who goes first? second? Third? What the hell is this. I'm tired of these guys jerking me around from the start...

So does the in-state list move before the out-of-state. I know they give some preference to instaters, but not as nearly as much as UW-Madison. Or do they intermix the two.

Plus, if I was told 54 (I'm instate), but someone else was told 46, does that mean the waitlist moved that much, or what the hell? If it moved, am I #12 now?

So frustrating... :confused:

Edit: Wait, someone else said 37. hmmmm...

bump, I'm so impatient right now. :)

Yeah....I'm confused too. I'm number 26/168 (I was told this morning)...but I am out of state. What does this mean? That I have to wait for all the instate people to get in or what? uh....confusion. Anyone with new info...please inform me!!! GOOD LUCK to ALL!!! :)

I asked someone in the admissions department, and it sounds like everyone from in-state has to have in-state people drop the school to move and everyone from out-of-state has to have out-of-state people drop to move.

jont said:
I asked someone in the admissions department, and it sounds like everyone from in-state has to have in-state people drop the school to move and everyone from out-of-state has to have out-of-state people drop to move.

ick. I do not like that answer. That means I have to wait for instate people to drop MCW for only 2 choices: a. Madison, or b. a more expensive school.

Just out of curiosity.....How often are you guys going to call to see how much the waitlist is moving up?

Are you guys holding other waitlists?

Is MCW where you'll end up if accepted?

Good luck to all!! Have a great week :D

Well, I think I might call weekly. Kiwifruit, I am also holding a spot at Ros Franklin and waitlisted at Tulane as well. I will definitely take MCW over Ros Franklin, and Tulane over Ros Franklin, but Tulane vs. MCW is a decision I fear.

Good luck to you too KiwiFruit! :luck:

nobody heard anything today huh... :(

I just called the admissions office today to change my phone number, and checked my current rank while I was at it. Still #20. There has been no movement since last week (well, no movement above 20 anyway). :(

I'm now off the waitlist, or will be as soon as they receive the letter I sent this week. This only "helps" people below 100 and out of state, but hey, it's the best I can do.

LadyGrey said:
I'm now off the waitlist, or will be as soon as they receive the letter I sent this week. This only "helps" people below 100 and out of state, but hey, it's the best I can do.
Wait, you're really off the waitlist, or you think you will be? I also thought you didn't want to go to this school? One more thing, is it a LOI letter yo'ure referring to? (I want very much to get off the waitlist, and am out of state)

Patrickstarfish, I think Ladygrey is referring to withdrawing from the waitlist. Right LadyGrey?

Intent to Not Wait All Summer Again?

Yup, akpete got it right, I am withdrawing from the waitlist. I was trying to indicate that I will be off it once they process it, i.e., my letter may not have reached them and actually effected the desired outcome of removal yet. Sorry I wasn't clearer, but I did say this more clearly in an earlier post in this thread so I wasn't being too careful.

Good luck, I know how much the waiting and calling all the time sucks. I was on a first name basis with the MCW secretaries last year.

So... *a pin drops in the silence* ... anyone know anything. Have they actually taken anyone of the waitlist yet? Or are we waiting for a committee meeting or something... I'd call, but I feel like a stalker. :scared:

akpete said:
So... *a pin drops in the silence* ... anyone know anything. Have they actually taken anyone of the waitlist yet? Or are we waiting for a committee meeting or something... I'd call, but I feel like a stalker. :scared:

I called them way back on May 19 and found out that I was 104 on the out of state list. They told me to call back in two weeks.

So I called back this Wednesday and found out that I had moved all the way up to number 102!! They must have meant call back in two months. :rolleyes:

Have some hope everyone. It sounds like the wait list is finally going to move!

jont said:
Have some hope everyone. It sounds like the wait list is finally going to move!

Yeah, that email was discouraging and encouraging all at the same time. Hopefully the list moves 20 instate spots!! :rolleyes:

Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Well, I called today, and the instate waitlist has not moved at all. I'm getting really depressed over this whole thing. I thought MCW's list usually moves much more than this. Are there any other instaters out there on the list like me?

:( :( :( :( :scared: :scared: :scared:

I have heard from a source that commitee was suprised this year by how many applicants held their acceptances from previous years...and may have over booked the class...but that still doesn't mean there won't be movement on the waitlest but maybe not as much as in past years. Hope all goes well.

bump...I'm starting to get the feeling that I'm the only one checking this thread. :(

I called the admissions office today. They finally pulled someone off the in-state waitlist. I know we all only moved up one spot, but it's better than nothing.

1 down, 19 to go...

Good luck Jont! I'm guessing you're instate too?

I knew a girl a couple of years ago who got into MCW off the waitlist one day before class started. She was home and answered the phone so she got to go to medical school.

That better not happen to me. I'm giving until about July 10, but if I end up at Ros Franklin instead, class starts July 25 or 27, so I've gotta get a lease on an apartment starting around July 15. Plus, if they called me the day before, Aug 7, at which I'll already be a couple weeks in, I'll first puke, then freak out and get angry. :mad: :barf: +pissed+

My best friend got all the way to #1 on the instate waitlist (she started at #25) with no other acceptances, and Mike Itswan called her the week before classes started and told her that they'd accept her if she applied EDP for the following year, since they didn't think there'd be any more movement.

Also, schools can't offer you a spot if you've already started at another medical school. You can drop out of grad programs though, if you so desire.

Instate waitlist has moved one more spot. 18 to go...

I was number 26 on the out-of-state waitlist...I was just offered a spot on Friday, the 17th. Good luck to everyone!!! Hope to see some of you there. I'm moving to Wisconsin! =p

Congrats Kiwifruit!!! I'm so jealous... :D

KiwiFruit said:
I was number 26 on the out-of-state waitlist...I was just offered a spot on Friday, the 17th. Good luck to everyone!!! Hope to see some of you there. I'm moving to Wisconsin! =p

I called this afternoon (Monday), and I moved from 47 to 33 on the out of state list...does this mean that they moved some people ahead of me? I just figured that if KiwiFruit was 26, that I would have moved up to at least 21 or something...maybe they don't update rankings immediately?? Hopefully that's the case!! (or I dont quite understand how their list works)

clstar, I'm not sure... :confused:

Sometimes I just feel like Itswan (sp?) is just teasing us with all those emails. :thumbdown:

Hey,

Has there been anymore movement on the out of state wailist?