****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
dl

Members don't see this ad.

Yay, medic! I'm so happy to be accepted at MSU!! I shadowed at the student OMM clinic several times and I got to meet some students and teachers, I just loved Kathie Schafer and Lorie Culham as well.

Well, I don't want to gush too much, because I know it can be kind of sickening, but suffice it to say...I feel really positive about MSU! :luck:

yposhelley said:
Yay, medic! I'm so happy to be accepted at MSU!! I shadowed at the student OMM clinic several times and I got to meet some students and teachers, I just loved Kathie Schafer and Lorie Culham as well.

Well, I don't want to gush too much, because I know it can be kind of sickening, but suffice it to say...I feel really positive about MSU! :luck:

We have worked hard to make it into one of the best medical schools in the nation. It's ok to "gush" IMHO! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: :clap: :wow:
Yes, I'm still on a high from this morning! This has been a great day for me! That was so wierd yesterday when you were asking me about calling MSU-and then you went out and checked your mail and your acceptance letter was there! :D

yposhelley said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :hardy: :hardy: :clap: :wow:
Yes, I'm still on a high from this morning! This has been a great day for me! That was so wierd yesterday when you were asking me about calling MSU-and then you went out and checked your mail and your acceptance letter was there! :D

I know. they said they called me last Wednesday, but somehow I missed the message. At this point, I don't care because me dream is comming true!! :D :eek:

Hey all, Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS! I had a tough decision last year, but decided to attend MSU-CHM. I spend many hours with COM peeps each day. Get ready to hit the books hardcore. (I'm studying biochem at 10:30pm on a Friday night). I really wish you guys the best. Try to get out and do some big things before next fall. You will have free time, but not enough to do anything to great. Exams every Monday at 7:30am come pretty early in the morning...

Congrats! :thumbup:

I may have to make the same decision this year...

Thanks for the congrats! :thumbup:

COM is a better program:). Why do I think this? Take the following as an example-- My friend who is a second year here at COM has a boyfriend who is a second year in CHM. He was over in Fee Hall (COM land) and somebody talked to him! He couldn't believe it...everybody was so friendly! He was saying that it's the exact opposite at CHM.

This was an aspect of the programs that was immensely important to me. I want to graduate with colleagues who are also good friends...not just colleagues. Not only that but the family atmosphere makes your time in school so much more enjoyable.

CMUDAN, I don't intend to rip on your program here. It may very well be that you are experiencing just as much camraderie (or maybe even more) as I am. That would, however, be inconsistent with what I've seen and heard. So, I'm just giving my opinion here...

Thank you for the opinion :thumbup:

So far I have been treated somewhat casually at MSUCHM -but have recieved great warmth from MSUCOM

I would agree with you about your program. COMers are very friendly (most) and seem more down to earth than some CHM people. You guys have great comradarie overall, more than us I would say...but CHM is a friendly student body and we are not competitive with each other. If it was a cut throat atmosphere I would not have choosen CHM. I think that COM student perspective is a little off, but I understand why you think that. I hate stuffy people that are arrogant. I am not one and neither are my CHM friends. But I do agree that COM is a great program!

Congratulations, everyone! I am a first year at COM, and it is awesome (albeit a TON of work). CHM is a good school, too, but it has a very different culture than COM. PM if you have any questions!

Well, I just found out I have an interview at MSUCHM Oct. 28th-and while I am excited-I'm worried because I have not been able to get to know the students or school environment there (like I have at COM). At COM I was able to hang out with students-including an MS1 that I met on SDN-I shadowed at the student OMM clinic-and got a good feel what the school would be like.

Its hard to get a good feel from just one day of tour and interviews - does anyone have any advice for me (about how to meet some CHM students and get a feel for the school?)

racystacey07 said:
Congratulations, everyone! I am a first year at COM, and it is awesome (albeit a TON of work). CHM is a good school, too, but it has a very different culture than COM. PM if you have any questions!
Culture? I am just curious how we are perceived by the DO students. Can you explain Stacey?

I am actually just really curious, CAn you expand upon that? (I am not going to get mad or upset).

As far as getting to know CHM students shelley, you could ask to stay with a student overnight the night before your interview. You will get a pretty good feel at the interview i think though, we do have a social hour where you just sit and talk casually with current students.

PS. I cant believe CHM is getting a slightly bad rap on this forum. We are easily the most down to earth, non-competitive MD school in the state. Go figure...

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i did not mean to imply "different culture" in a bad way... just in a different way. and i absolutely agree with you that CHM is one of the most down to earth MD schools. i think that the general consensus amongst commies is that the people in CHM are more hard core than COM. maybe a little bit more serious? we definitely dont think of you guys negatively, though! i apologize if my post came off in that tone. i have a bunch of friends in CHM, and they rock! hope that clarifies everything? and hope you kicked some booty on the anatomy exam!

cmudan said:
Culture? I am just curious how we are perceived by the DO students. Can you explain Stacey?

I am actually just really curious, CAn you expand upon that? (I am not going to get mad or upset).

As far as getting to know CHM students shelley, you could ask to stay with a student overnight the night before your interview. You will get a pretty good feel at the interview i think though, we do have a social hour where you just sit and talk casually with current students.

PS. I cant believe CHM is getting a slightly bad rap on this forum. We are easily the most down to earth, non-competitive MD school in the state. Go figure...

cmudan said:

Thanks for the advice! I live about 2 miles away from campus and I don't think the travel time is going to kill me-even if I ended up walking there in high heels ( :laugh: )-so I probably won't ask to spend the night at a students house-(they might think I was a little wierd).

I guess I will just talk to the students during lunch and try to get a feeling from that. The reason I'm asking about the difference between COM's and CHM's atmosphere is because I have several friends who attend COM, but my mother attended CHM (graduated 8 years ago)-and I have very specific memories of what medical school was like for her (she was incredibly stressed out at the time)-and from her experiences I know that CHM is noncompetetive and will bend over backwards to help you get through medical school... on the other side-this is true of COM as well, and I have also heard from 3 people (2 attending COM and 1 attending CHM) that COM students seem to be more connected and friendly with each other-of course this is not a big survey :rolleyes: ALso the fact that Kathie Schafer is so warm to all the students at COM-and that my interviewer was very nice has been a big plus for me.

I'll probably end up going where I think I would feel most comfortable-I'm just hoping to get a realistic sense of that on interview day. Thanks everyone for their advice-I shouldn't worry, either way I'll be happy attending either school :luck:

Medic170,

Thank you for setting up this thread and congratulations on your acceptance at MSUCOM. Althought new to this site, I have found a lot of helpful information. I have received letters of acceptance from AZCOM, UNECOM, and MSUCOM. I really loved MSUCOM's program as well as the candor / amiability of the students, staff, and faculty. It is a very easy decision for me, as MSUCOM is the right fit. I am very excited to be a member of the 2009 class.

wisconsinmilf said:
Medic170,

Thank you for setting up this thread and congratulations on your acceptance at MSUCOM. Althought new to this site, I have found a lot of helpful information. I have received letters of acceptance from AZCOM, UNECOM, and MSUCOM. I really loved MSUCOM's program as well as the candor / amiability of the students, staff, and faculty. It is a very easy decision for me, as MSUCOM is the right fit. I am very excited to be a member of the 2009 class.

Welcome. I look forward to studying with you.

Its a win-win situation! Both schools are excellent, and Im sure you would be happy at either. Other than the philosophies behind the education, our rockin OMM class, and few other more superficial differences, I think that they are fairly equal. Good luck!

yposhelley said:
I guess I will just talk to the students during lunch and try to get a feeling from that. The reason I'm asking about the difference between COM's and CHM's atmosphere is because I have several friends who attend COM, but my mother attended CHM (graduated 8 years ago)-and I have very specific memories of what medical school was like for her (she was incredibly stressed out at the time)-and from her experiences I know that CHM is noncompetetive and will bend over backwards to help you get through medical school... on the other side-this is true of COM as well, and I have also heard from 3 people (2 attending COM and 1 attending CHM) that COM students seem to be more connected and friendly with each other-of course this is not a big survey :rolleyes: ALso the fact that Kathie Schafer is so warm to all the students at COM-and that my interviewer was very nice has been a big plus for me.

I'll probably end up going where I think I would feel most comfortable-I'm just hoping to get a realistic sense of that on interview day. Thanks everyone for their advice-I shouldn't worry, either way I'll be happy attending either school :luck:

Thanks, Stacey! :)

I would like to have some OMM sometime. I heard there is an elective...any truth to that for us CHMers?

Congrats to the folks getting in! See you when you get here. (prepare for some pain ;))

there absolutely are OMM electives. the specific one that i am thinking of runs over the noon hour. not sure how a CHMer would go about signing up for it, but i dont see why it cant be done. if you are interested in any rehabilitation med, muscular or orthopedic, i totally recommend learning some OMM. its seriously amazing what you can do.

cmudan said:
I would like to have some OMM sometime. I heard there is an elective...any truth to that for us CHMers?

Yes, you can take OMM electives at CHM-my mom went to CHM not too long ago and mentioned that possibility.

Congratulations some more newly accepted students (who posted in the accepted thread). I'm bumping this thread up for you :thumbup:

yposhelley said:
Yes, you can take OMM electives at CHM-my mom went to CHM not too long ago and mentioned that possibility.

Congratulations some more newly accepted students (who posted in the accepted thread). I'm bumping this thread up for you :thumbup:

Sure seems to be getting lonely on this thread, where are all my future classmates?

There don't seem to be many people on SDN who have applied to Michigan medical schools.

Oh well, all we can do is keep bumping up this thread (casting the bait)... :D

yposhelley said:
There don't seem to be many people on SDN who have applied to Michigan medical schools.

Hi guys,

I will be there next year, I am excited. I am at MSU for undergrad and I love it.

Where do you all plan on living, that is the only thing I have left to figure out.

yposhelley said:

Keep in mind that you have been accepted pretty early in the game. You'll find more MSUCOMer's trickle in as spring approaches.

Congratulations to all of you who are in already and good luck to those of you who wish to be!

Mmm hmm...thats true that more people could find SDN after they get accepted to MSU. I just meant that there aren't that many people who have noted they were invited to an MSU interview on the allopathic and osteopathic forums. :D

yposhelley said:
Mmm hmm...thats true that more people could find SDN after they get accepted to MSU. I just meant that there aren't that many people who have noted they were invited to an MSU interview on the allopathic and osteopathic forums. :D

I was accepted to the CHM program.... I am looking forward to having class with you guys next fall! :) There doesn't seem to be too many people on SDN who applied to MSU... but, i guess time will tell...

I was also wondering about housing. I have been checking out places on rent.com. This is probably a stupid question, but if it lists $500 for a 2 person apartment, does that mean $500/person or $500 total?

Does MSU send out a personality survey to try and match people for roommates? Do they send out anything on where to stay?

On a side note, I think I stayed the night with cmudan the night of my interview on the 30th...??

Hey Funstuff! So you are definitely decided on MSUCHM? Thats awesome!
In answer to your question, $500 for a 2 person apartment means the total rent is 500/month-and if you had a roommate you would each pay 250. I don't know about those other housing questions...you should ask MSU directly.

On a side note for those who were accepted to MSUCOM-they sent me an email today stating that the admissions letter they sent us had a typo on it...instead of having until Nov. 12th to make a decision and come up with a deposit, we actually have until Dec. 15th (which follows the AACOM admissions guidelines for medical schools). So thats good...gives us more time to come up with the money, interview at other schools, and make our final decision. :thumbup:

i'm reasonably sure... i have canceled my other interviews (except iowa... i am still trying to decide on them- i did research there this summer and have friends there...). I really don't think I want to go out of state though because of high tuition and my girlfriend is here.... and my mother is sick, so I would like to stay close to her. I am pretty sure I prefer MSU over wayne. I have consitently gotten a better vibe from students there.

I have never rented an apartment and have always been in dorms (as you can tell).... on average, how much are utilities for you during summer and winter?

Thanks! :)

yposhelley said:
Hey Funstuff! So you are definitely decided on MSUCHM? Thats awesome!
In answer to your question, $500 for a 2 person apartment means the total rent is 500/month-and if you had a roommate you would each pay 250. I don't know about those other housing questions...you should ask MSU directly.

On a side note for those who were accepted to MSUCOM-they sent me an email today stating that the admissions letter they sent us had a typo on it...instead of having until Nov. 12th to make a decision and come up with a deposit, we actually have until Dec. 15th (which follows the AACOM admissions guidelines for medical schools). So thats good...gives us more time to come up with the money, interview at other schools, and make our final decision. :thumbup:

I'm not the one to be asking about utilities. I lived on solar power and water from a waterfall for the past six years, and I'm lucky enough to not be paying rent at the moment. Sorry :oops:

yposhelley said:
I'm not the one to be asking about utilities. I lived on solar power and water from a waterfall for the past six years, and I'm lucky enough to not be paying rent at the moment. Sorry :oops:

Awesome... so where do I sign up for this deal?!? ;)

fun8stuff said:
Awesome... so where do I sign up for this deal?!? ;)

Well, the solar power and waterfall water is back in Hawaii. :( The free rent I'm getting at the moment is called "Mom" :laugh: :laugh:

yposhelley said:
Well, the solar power and waterfall water is back in Hawaii. :( The free rent I'm getting at the moment is called "Mom" :laugh: :laugh:

phone number?! ;)

fun8stuff said:
phone number?! ;)

Awww...your so cute, I just asked my mom, and she said it would be OK for you to stay in the garage. It sure is going to be nice to have a roomie-that garage doesn't get very warmed up with only one body :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

yposhelley said:
Awww...your so cute, I just asked my mom, and she said it would be OK for you to stay in the garage. It sure is going to be nice to have a roomie-that garage doesn't get very warmed up with only one body :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hahaha! awesome! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :laugh:

I was on the wait list for the class of 2008 and didn't get in this year but was guaranteed a spot for the class of 2009. I just sent in my $500 and can't wait to get started.

I know this may seem cheesy but would anyone in the Lansing area like to get together for a pre-medical school celebration?

I would love to get together with everyone to celebrate! Thats a great idea. I would be fun to meet everyone! I also wanted to walk around the campus a little more too.

I will let this message simmer a little bit to see if anyone else is interested and then set up a time in the next few weeks.

I think it would be nice to get to know people before classes start and we have no time for socializing.

forreala said:
I will let this message simmer a little bit to see if anyone else is interested and then set up a time in the next few weeks.

I think it would be nice to get to know people before classes start and we have no time for socializing.

My wife and I would like to go out drinkin' ;)

forreala said:
I was on the wait list for the class of 2008 and didn't get in this year but was guaranteed a spot for the class of 2009. I just sent in my $500 and can't wait to get started.

I know this may seem cheesy but would anyone in the Lansing area like to get together for a pre-medical school celebration?

Doesn't sound cheesy at all (although I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to give away my "secret web identity")! JK, count me in too! :D

yposhelley said:
Doesn't sound cheesy at all (although I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to give away my "secret web identity")! JK, count me in too! :D

Count me in, that sounds like fun. Are we talking going to a bar or having like a BBQ or something else?

msucomtim said:
Count me in, that sounds like fun. Are we talking going to a bar or having like a BBQ or something else?

Hpefully a bar :D :cool:

medic170 said:
Hpefully a bar :D :cool:

I too was thinking a bar/restaurant. Things are so unpredictable this time of year it will be better to get inside. I was thinking either Beggar's Banquet (right on campus) or Claddagh's Irish Pub in the Eastwood Towne Center. I like these because they have 1. Good Drinks 2. Good Food 3. Festive Atmosphere.

Well since I brought it up I'll make a suggestion. Lets say Beggars on Friday, Nov 5th at 9:00p.m. What do you guys think? I'll be there!!

Scott

forreala said:
I too was thinking a bar/restaurant. Things are so unpredictable this time of year it will be better to get inside. I was thinking either Beggar's Banquet (right on campus) or Claddagh's Irish Pub in the Eastwood Towne Center. I like these because they have 1. Good Drinks 2. Good Food 3. Festive Atmosphere.

Well since I brought it up I'll make a suggestion. Lets say Beggars on Friday, Nov 5th at 9:00p.m. What do you guys think? I'll be there!!

Scott

Sorry, I work on Fridays. Any other night would work for me though. (After this weekend because I have plans for Holloween! :scared: )

medic170 said:
Sorry, I work on Fridays. Any other night would work for me though. (After this weekend because I have plans for Holloween! :scared: )
I know it will be difficult to get a date that is acceptable to everyone. How about Saturday Nov 6th at 9:00?

If it is as fun as I think it will be we could do another one down the road and pick up some additional people.

Saturday, Nov 6th 9:00pm Beggars---Are you comin?

forreala said:
I know it will be difficult to get a date that is acceptable to everyone. How about Saturday Nov 6th at 9:00?

If it is as fun as I think it will be we could do another one down the road and pick up some additional people.

I can do that :thumbup:

forreala said:

I can stop by...I won't be able to stay long, tho, because I'll be working early in the morning.

PS-Where exactly are we going to meet? At the bar? (Seems like the logical choice... :D ) I don't know if I'll be able to recognize accepted medical students unless we come dressed as a herd of black and blue suits like we did in our interviews! :laugh:

yposhelley said:
I can stop by...I won't be able to stay long, tho, because I'll be working early in the morning.

PS-Where exactly are we going to meet? At the bar? (Seems like the logical choice... :D ) I don't know if I'll be able to recognize accepted medical students unless we come dressed as a herd of black and blue suits like we did in our interviews! :laugh:

I will make a sign the says MSUCOM 2009 or something similar. I agree we should meet in the "bar" area. There is an area in front of the bar, on the right as you walk into the place that I will try to grab. I'm planning on going over there this week and try to work out a reservation for that area for us. I hope people can make it, bring your friends/girlfriends/boyfriends/significant others too!