****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Funstuff, I got the call from Christine Schafer tonight, at 8:30.

Members don't see this ad.

yposhelley said:

Congrats. they still have me on hold :mad: , but I am choosing COM anyway because I really want to be a DO. Let us know what you decide, and either way, I look forwrd to having class with you. :thumbup: I'm so sorry I missed meeting you and the others the other night, but I will go ahead and set another meeting up in January after the holidays. I'll post it on this thread and we can do a Saturday night again. That way, if I set the thing up, I know I won't miss everybody :idea:

Thanks, Medic. Yeah, we definitely need to have another get together when most of the class is filled up. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
yposhelley said:
Thanks, Medic. Yeah, we definitely need to have another get together when most of the class is filled up. :thumbup:

That sounds like a great idea! It would be good to know some faces in the fall.

marie337 said:
That sounds like a great idea! It would be good to know some faces in the fall.

I'm thinking Saturday, January 8 at 9pm at the Harrison Roadhouse, in the side section where the fireplace is. Any other ideas, preferences? If not, can you all make it? I will post a reminder.

medic170 said:
I'm thinking Saturday, January 8 at 9pm at the Harrison Roadhouse, in the side section where the fireplace is. Any other ideas, preferences? If not, can you all make it? I will post a reminder.

That could work. There is a home basketball game that day though. I would expect the Roadhouse to be pretty busy afterwards.

marie337 said:
That could work. There is a home basketball game that day though. I would expect the Roadhouse to be pretty busy afterwards.

Let's make it Saturday, January 15 2005, 7:00 pm at Harrison Roadhouse, in the fireplace section. I checked and there is only a hockey game at 7:30 in East Lansing that day. Please post your thoughts and if you can make it, and I will remind everyone in January.

medic170 said:
Let's make it Saturday, January 15 2005, 7:00 pm at Harrison Roadhouse, in the fireplace section. I checked and there is only a hockey game at 7:30 in East Lansing that day. Please post your thoughts and if you can make it, and I will remind everyone in January.

That sounds good to me. I hope that everyone will come! :D

medic170 said:

That sounds great!

yposhelley said:
That sounds good to me. I hope that everyone will come! :D

Could you invite that current student you know too?

medic170 said:
Could you invite that current student you know too?

Sure. Last time he brought two other classmates as well. He is a great one to talk to about MSUCOM.

yposhelley said:

hey! congrats! that's awesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:
sorry it took me awhile to respond, i've had a few presentations all due within the last few week.

i'm on hold at UM...

How are all my Michigan peeps enjoying the weather? :( or :D ?

Personally, I don't expect anyone to feel any +pity+ for me, because the first day of snow always makes me feel :) . Although I had a :( time getting home because everyone was driving like they were :scared: , which made me feel :mad: , well perhaps not :mad: , just +pissed+.

Excuse all the faces, I guess I'm just in a :p mood.

Members don't see this ad :)
yposhelley said:
How are all my Michigan peeps enjoying the weather?

Personally, I don't expect anyone to feel any +pity+ for me, because the first day of snow always makes me feel :) . Although I had a :( time getting home because everyone was driving like they were :scared: , which made me feel :mad: , well perhaps not :mad: , just +pissed+.

Excuse all the faces, I guess I'm just in a :p mood.

This weather sucks, and I am on for 24 starting a midnight. I guess I won't plan on getting much sleep tonite at work :(

medic170 said:
This weather sucks, and I am on for 24 starting a midnight. I guess I won't plan on getting much sleep tonite at work :(

Oh, sorry to hear that. I did a 20 hour shift last week and it was not fun. Screwed up my sleep schedule for days.

Do you work out of Lansing?

yposhelley said:
Oh, sorry to hear that. I did a 20 hour shift last week and it was not fun. Screwed up my sleep schedule for days.

Do you work out of Lansing?

I work down in Leslie. I don't mind getting up to save people, but the thing is, 9 times out of 10 (we probably will get 10 calls tonite) we are just chasing an abandoned car in a ditch on 127 that someone spotted and called 911.

:laugh: Thats too funny. I go up to Leslie a lot of Sunday mornings because I have some clients that go to church there. Its a pretty small town, not much happening there.

yposhelley said:
:laugh: Thats too funny. I go up to Leslie a lot of Sunday mornings because I have some clients that go to church there. Its a pretty small town, not much happening there.

Yeah, but the ambulance service covers Leslie city, Leslie Township, Bunker Hill, Rives, Tompkins, Onondaga, and Henrietta..like 170 square miles, so we stay busy for a small non-profit service. Dr. Deweed there in town just joined our Board of Directors, he was a former medic turned FP doc. Do you know him, he is pretty cool?

Anyway, its not all bad. Foote hospital just donated a 12 lead EKG/Defib (lifepack) and I took the 12 lead interpretation class, so at least I have a new toy to play with.

Nope, can't say that I do know him, sorry.

But being a paramedic always sounded exciting to me, if a little scary. I can see where it would be a huge adrenaline rush.

All the paramedic (guys) I have known have been buff, as well as being total adrenaline junkies. :laugh:

yposhelley said:
Nope, can't say that I do know him, sorry.

But being a paramedic always sounded exciting to me, if a little scary. I can see where it would be a huge adrenaline rush.

All the paramedic (guys) I have known have been buff, as well as being total adrenaline junkies. :laugh:

Seriously, if you ever would like to do a 3rd ride (observe) sometime when I am working I would be happy to have you. Just have to sign some HIPPA stuff. However, you should know about the infamous 3rd rider syndrome. When a 3rd rider rides a long and wants to see cool stuff, nothing ever happens until after you go home ;)

BTW, I was an adrenaline junkie for the first couple years. Most of us grow out of it, while some were just made to do this sort of thing and never get burned out.

medic170 said:
Seriously, if you ever would like to do a 3rd ride (observe) sometime when I am working I would be happy to have you. Just have to sign some HIPPA stuff. However, you should know about the infamous 3rd rider syndrome. When a 3rd rider rides a long and wants to see cool stuff, nothing ever happens until after you go home ;)

BTW, I was an adrenaline junkie for the first couple years. Most of us grow out of it, while some were just made to do this sort of thing and never get burned out.

Sure! Maybe we can pick a 'good night' where I will be likely to see some action. Thanks, Medic!

yposhelley said:
Sure! Maybe we can pick a 'good night' where I will be likely to see some action. Thanks, Medic!
\

We can talk about it in January when the class meets!

:cool: (what is it with me and talking in smiley faces today?) :laugh:

I can't believe all the snow that we are getting! I feel like tomorrow is Christmas not Thanksgiving. Fortunately for me people are coming to my house so I don't have to travel. Hopefully everyone makes it to their destination safely :oops: .

No kidding! Its pretty outside, but feels much more appropriate to Xmas!

I know that a few of you guys either attended MSU as an undergrad or are in the area, so can you give some advice to a So Cal kiddie? :D
Is a car essential to living off campus? I'd likely live close, perhaps within walking distance to Fee Hall and the east side of campus, provided that area is quiet and all. I managed without having a car for three years in Upstate NY just using Greyhound and Amtrak for longer distances and cabs for short ones (inexpensive cab area :thumbup: ).
I've got a job until August when classes start, should I make sure to save up for a car and insurance? :confused:

subtle1epiphany said:
I know that a few of you guys either attended MSU as an undergrad or are in the area, so can you give some advice to a So Cal kiddie? :D
Is a car essential to living off campus? I'd likely live close, perhaps within walking distance to Fee Hall and the east side of campus, provided that area is quiet and all. I managed without having a car for three years in Upstate NY just using Greyhound and Amtrak for longer distances and cabs for short ones (inexpensive cab area :thumbup: ).
I've got a job until August when classes start, should I make sure to save up for a car and insurance? :confused:

CATA (the bus system) is adequete if absolutley necessary, but I think you are going to want a car because it makes life so much simpler.

The CATA bus system is pretty good. I live about 1.5 miles of campus and usually take the bus to campus everyday. But, on the days that I miss the bus, I definitely need my car. As far as getting around town, there are busses that go directly to the mall from campus and to Meijer (grocery store). The same bus also goes west to downtown Lansing. It is very feasible to take the bus anywhere you need to go, but honestly it would be much more convenient to have a car. Some busses only go by every 20-30 minutes so you could spend a lot of time waiting around for the next bus.

marie337 said:
The CATA bus system is pretty good. I live about 1.5 miles of campus and usually take the bus to campus everyday. But, on the days that I miss the bus, I definitely need my car. As far as getting around town, there are busses that go directly to the mall from campus and to Meijer (grocery store). The same bus also goes west to downtown Lansing. It is very feasible to take the bus anywhere you need to go, but honestly it would be much more convenient to have a car. Some busses only go by every 20-30 minutes so you could spend a lot of time waiting around for the next bus.
Wow, I remember Meijer! :idea: I spent a good part of a week near Dayton, Ohio and that was the market chain in the area.
Thanks for the info :thumbup: , I'll have to see how much I can save from my current job. I'm thinking if I'm able to bring a car I'll pack up my stuff about 2-3 wks before classes start and drive from SoCal to Michigan. :scared: It's difficult to fly with my bird, Icarus, and I might as well have some sort of a vacation before med school starts :D . We'll see...

subtle1epiphany said:
Wow, I remember Meijer! :idea: I spent a good part of a week near Dayton, Ohio and that was the market chain in the area.
Thanks for the info :thumbup: , I'll have to see how much I can save from my current job. I'm thinking if I'm able to bring a car I'll pack up my stuff about 2-3 wks before classes start and drive from SoCal to Michigan. :scared: It's difficult to fly with my bird, Icarus, and I might as well have some sort of a vacation before med school starts :D . We'll see...

I suggest you take that vacation in January to find an apartment, because by summer all of the good places are usually full, especially the ones close to campus like you said you were looking for.

medic170 said:
I suggest you take that vacation in January to find an apartment, because by summer all of the good places are usually full, especially the ones close to campus like you said you were looking for.

I would have thought that the end of spring semester, when all the students are leaving for summer, would be a good time to find an apartment. Is this not true?

yposhelley said:
I would have thought that the end of spring semester, when all the students are leaving for summer, would be a good time to find an apartment. Is this not true?

Almost all the apartments close by have waiting lists for fall leases, so you can rent for the summer ok, but fall is usually full. I am already on a waiting list.

medic170 said:
Almost all the apartments close by have waiting lists for fall leases, so you can rent for the summer ok, but fall is usually full. I am already on a waiting list.
:eek: :scared: *gasp!*

Already waiting lists! sheesh!
That's insane, I won't be able to even take a quick flight for a bit now, much less look for an apartment. I don't want to be stuck with an unmentionable apartment when I finally make the drive/flight to Michigan in August.

I know that you're quite familiar with the area, so could you post the names of some places near campus (walking distance to class if possible) that are pretty quiet and nice, but ya know...not too expensive...ie the kinda place everybody wants but only the people with trust funds actually get. *wink, wink* ;) :D

subtle1epiphany said:
:eek: :scared: *gasp!*

Already waiting lists! sheesh!
That's insane, I won't be able to even take a quick flight for a bit now, much less look for an apartment. I don't want to be stuck with an unmentionable apartment when I finally make the drive/flight to Michigan in August.

I know that you're quite familiar with the area, so could you post the names of some places near campus (walking distance to class if possible) that are pretty quiet and nice, but ya know...not too expensive...ie the kinda place everybody wants but only the people with trust funds actually get. *wink, wink* ;) :D

http://www.rent.com/search/results/...=0|0&landmark_id=&mode=search&searchtype=city

http://www.hfs.msu.edu/uh/campus/apartments/

http://www.123aptsearch.com/Detroit_MI/East_Lansing.htm

http://www.apartmentmatching.com/search/results.php?PHPSESSID=ecb4d5676f52bcb0e34bfde8464dce9f

Hey everyone!
I just got accepted to MSU and am considering matriculation. While at the interview, the financial aid rep. mentioned something about out-of-staters being able to gain state residency. I wasn't really paying attention seeing as I thought I botched the interview and thought that an acceptance from MSU was about as likely as a Hitler playing hopscotch with Jesus in heaven.

Could somebody shed some light on the situation. Thanks :thumbup:

As far as I know, you can't become an in-state resident if you applied as an out-of-state resident. You need to live in Michigan for one full year prior to starting medical school, and during that year you can't be a student.
I know this because I grew up in Michigan but lived somewhere else for the past six years. I had to move back this summer in order to apply as a MI resident and qualify for the residency tuition at MSU.

yposhelley said:
As far as I know, you can't become an in-state resident if you applied as an out-of-state resident. You need to live in Michigan for one full year prior to starting medical school, and during that year you can't be a student.
I know this because I grew up in Michigan but lived somewhere else for the past six years. I had to move back this summer in order to apply as a MI resident and qualify for the residency tuition at MSU.

Shelley is right. there is no way to become a resident unless you were to defer for a year and live here or marry a Michiganian.

I have a question...
Does anyone know if MSU's "one-time computer loan" of $2,000 can be used to buy accessories such as printers/scanners? Or if it is just for the computer itself?

Hello Class mates!

It has been some time since I checked on SDN. I am trying to get done with my last chemistry class (biochem). I hate writing lab reports!! I hope we don't have to do them in medical school!!!
We are up here in Marquette and there is just a few inches of snow. We are going to buy a place down around E. Lansing while I attend school. Know of any nice areas within 15-20 minutes where we might find a nice farm house and a few acres for our chickens!
I will probably do the extended program so that i have more time with my 3 kids. I will have to find out more about this, but it seems good for us.

-see you later

-dan Cote'

PS- heh Medic 170, hope you are doing well!

Hey Dan! I think we interviewed together :idea: . Anyway, I could suggest looking either south in the Mason area, or north in the St. John's/Dewitt area. There is a pretty good radius around the greater lansing area that would probably suit you well. I used to live in Mason (about 10 miles south of campus). It is a really great town for a family. The schools there are good. To the north you will have to go a little further to find a decent size lot and even further to the east and west. I'm sure that you are used to driving a little ways to get to anything up there though so driving is probably not a big deal. Let me know if I can be any more help.

marie337 said:
Hey Dan! I think we interviewed together :idea: . Anyway, I could suggest looking either south in the Mason area, or north in the St. John's/Dewitt area. There is a pretty good radius around the greater lansing area that would probably suit you well. I used to live in Mason (about 10 miles south of campus). It is a really great town for a family. The schools there are good. To the north you will have to go a little further to find a decent size lot and even further to the east and west. I'm sure that you are used to driving a little ways to get to anything up there though so driving is probably not a big deal. Let me know if I can be any more help.

Leslie is very nice too.

Hi everyone,

I just got the call from Kathie Schafer yesterday afternoon & it looks like I'll be joining you all in the MSUCOM class of 2009. (woo-hoo!!!!:) ) I was really surprised when she called -- I expected to wait a lot longer (I just interviewed on 12/2).

Anyway, I hope to get to know everybody & congrats to everybody else who made it!

Therese aka "raDiOnut"

Welcome to the class! I know you must be so excited! Where is Little Mexico?

raDiOnut said:
Hi everyone,

I just got the call from Kathie Schafer yesterday afternoon & it looks like I'll be joining you all in the MSUCOM class of 2009. (woo-hoo!!!!:) ) I was really surprised when she called -- I expected to wait a lot longer (I just interviewed on 12/2).

Anyway, I hope to get to know everybody & congrats to everybody else who made it!

Therese aka "raDiOnut"
In case you do not know already, we atre having a class of 2009 get together on Saturday, January 15 2005, 7:00 pm at Harrison Roadhouse, in the fireplace section (the one right to the left when you walk in). I hope you will be able to make it and meet with us. I will be posting reminders The week before and I will have a section reserved over there for us. Will you be able to make it? Either way, welcome to the class!!!

BTW, if anyone needs directions from out of town, let me know.

medic170 said:
In case you do not know already, we atre having a class of 2009 get together on Saturday, January 15 2005, 7:00 pm at Harrison Roadhouse, in the fireplace section (the one right to the left when you walk in). I hope you will be able to make it and meet with us. I will be posting reminders The week before and I will have a section reserved over there for us. Will you be able to make it? Either way, welcome to the class!!!

BTW, if anyone needs directions from out of town, let me know.

Thanks for the welcome Marie and Medic.

It's good to FINALLY be here!!!!! I've been dying to have a real excuse to post on the Osteo forum. "Little Mexico" would be Imlay City -- we have more of a Mexican population than American (w/ 5+ Mexican grocery stores, 1 Mexican bakery, 1 Mexican discoteca/video rental, 1 Mexican restaurant, multiple Latin American and Mexican churches... and the list goes on!) Spanish is our second language. ;)

I'm going to put the class get together on my calendar -- Jan 15th should be fine for me (now that I don't have to go to OSU for an interview the 13th)

Medic170, what EMS service do you work for? I was debating trying to work a few shifts ...oops got a run (EMS)

raDiOnut

raDiOnut said:
Thanks for the welcome Marie and Medic.

It's good to FINALLY be here!!!!! I've been dying to have a real excuse to post on the Osteo forum. "Little Mexico" would be Imlay City -- we have more of a Mexican population than American (w/ 5+ Mexican grocery stores, 1 Mexican bakery, 1 Mexican discoteca/video rental, 1 Mexican restaurant, multiple Latin American and Mexican churches... and the list goes on!) Spanish is our second language. ;)

I'm going to put the class get together on my calendar -- Jan 15th should be fine for me (now that I don't have to go to OSU for an interview the 13th)

Medic170, what EMS service do you work for? I was debating trying to work a few shifts ...oops got a run (EMS)

raDiOnut

Right now I am working down in Leslie for Leslie Area Ambulance. Been there for 6 years.
http://www.leslieambulance.org

I have worked just about everywhere around here in the past: Mercy, Delhi Fire, Jackson Community Ambulance. I also used to work at an urgent care down in Jackson, and next semester I am going to be working at a Doctor's office down there along with the ambulance.

medic170 said:
Right now I am working down in Leslie for Leslie Area Ambulance. Been there for 6 years.
http://www.leslieambulance.org

I have worked just about everywhere around here in the past: Mercy, Delhi Fire, Jackson Community Ambulance. I also used to work at an urgent care down in Jackson, and next semester I am going to be working at a Doctor's office down there along with the ambulance.

that's neat. I've worked EMS in Lapeer Co. for about 1.5 yrs as an EMT-basic. I wanted to take a medic class, but didn't have time before med school! Are you going to still work/ride along during med school? I've been debating trying to do that.

I tried to write a response yesterday, but I was on duty and got interrupted by a 7wk old baby "turning blue and gasping for air." It turned out it was a case of new mommy syndrome.

later, raDiOnut

Wow, I never knew this exsisted. This is a great idea. I interviewed on Nov. 16 and was accepted on Dec. 2. I look forward to next year with all you other MSUCOMers.

thesterlinggirl said:
Wow, I never knew this exsisted. This is a great idea. I interviewed on Nov. 16 and was accepted on Dec. 2. I look forward to next year with all you other MSUCOMers.

Welcome! You should come to the get-together we're having next month (jan 15th at Harrison Roadhouse).

Hey MSUCOM class of 2009,

I have been engrossed in work as of late and have not had time to post. Wow, this thread has been quite busy since I visited last...great to see that there are more and more MSUCOM class members I look forward to studying with everyone. I wish I could make it to the January get-together, but I will have to wait until I move to MI in July - August; hopefully we can plan a summer get-together as well.

To those who live in the EL area:
I have been considering a move to the Haslett / Forest Hills area. I am looking for a quiet middle-class suburb with a great middle school / high school system. I have done some online searching and have yet to decide. I am planning a scouting trip to the EL area in March or April and appreciate any feedback.

FYI other non-residents, here are two of the websites I have been using to research EL communities:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Michigan.html
http://www.reply.com/real_estate/research/neighborhood_profile/default.asp

btw Yposhelley, what have you found out about the 2k computer loan?

Thanks everyone,
-WM