****Official MSUCOM Class of 2009****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
forreala said:
bring your friends/girlfriends/boyfriends/significant others too!

umm, and wives. Yes, some of us are old and married :D

Members don't see this ad.

I will try and be there at 9 pm, Saturday. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

My first post as a future medical school student! :eek:
Got the phone call this morning, I don't think it's really hit me yet...but I hope I'll be sitting down when it does! :D
Now I can really relax for the rest of my interviews and just enjoy visiting great schools and new places. Whew!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to you!!!! :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

You should come to the MSUCOM get together some of us SDNers are having this Saturday night at Beggars Banquet (9 pm).

Hope to see you there! :thumbup:

yposhelley said:
Congratulations to you!!!! :hardy: :clap: :hardy:

You should come to the MSUCOM get together some of us SDNers are having this Saturday night at Beggars Banquet (9 pm).

Hope to see you there! :thumbup:
I wish! It would be awesome! I haven't been out for a couple weeks now.
But...I'm a Cali resident, so it's a bit of a trip. Once I'm there in the fall I'll have a chance to join the class!
Have fun you guys! Drink some for me! :thumbup:

We'll do that!

I invited a first year student to come to our get together. He helped me throughout the application process and is a reallly cool guy. He's planning on telling us a little more what the first year is like. I hope this is alright with everyone.

yposhelley said:
I invited a first year student to come to our get together. He helped me throughout the application process and is a reallly cool guy. He's planning on telling us a little more what the first year is like. I hope this is alright with everyone.

That's great!! I hope he won't mind my million questions. JK. I stopped by Beggars last night with the hopes of working something out with the manager, but the bar was closed for a private party. I will try again tonight. I did see the area immediately to the right as you walk into the bar. I will try to get a spot there. Again, I will have a couple MSUCOM 2009 signs so look for those or just ask the bartender or host/hostess, I will let them know where we are. See you guys there at 9:00 tomorrow.

forreala said:
That's great!! I hope he won't mind my million questions. JK. I stopped by Beggars last night with the hopes of working something out with the manager, but the bar was closed for a private party. I will try again tonight. I did see the area immediately to the right as you walk into the bar. I will try to get a spot there. Again, I will have a couple MSUCOM 2009 signs so look for those or just ask the bartender or host/hostess, I will let them know where we are. See you guys there at 9:00 tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!

See you guys tommorrow. I may even have a few drinks (a rare occurence for me :D )

What happened? I went to Beggar's and there was nobody there with any sign at 9:15, and the hostess knew nothing about any MSUCOM get together :( Oh well, we went down to BW3 and had a great time anyway.

Hey Medic,
Did you ever show up yesterday? I took off about 10 pm after having only one long island :(

Edit, I just read your post.
We got there about 9 pm and looked around. They were kind of in the back (not in the smoky room where the band plays.)

yposhelley said:
Hey Medic,
Did you ever show up yesterday? I took off about 10 pm after having only one long island :(

Edit, I just read your post.
We got there about 9 pm and looked around. They were kind of in the back (not in the smoky room where the band plays.)

Well, I tried. I did not see any signs and the hostess had no idea about where you were. Were there a lot of people that showed? What did you guys talk about?

Members don't see this ad :)
medic170 said:
Well, I tried. I did not see any signs and the hostess had no idea about where you were. Were there a lot of people that showed? What did you guys talk about?

Sorry you missed us. I got there at 8:00 and tried to let people in the restaurant know. I told the host and the bartender and had made signs (that were on the tables). The host told me he would keep an eye out for people. I apologize for not getting the word out better.

There were seven people there I think, three were starting next year and two who have already started this year and will graduate with us in 2009 (they are on the extended program).

We talked about alot of issues ranging from being shirtless in OMM to getting into residency. I just found it comforting to talk to someone who is in the thick of it right now and still seems sane. I think the best advice I got was to take some time off in the next year and do something I want to do, travel, relax....sleep. It may be one of the last times I have the luxury.

forreala said:
Sorry you missed us. I got there at 8:00 and tried to let people in the restaurant know. I told the host and the bartender and had made signs (that were on the tables). The host told me he would keep an eye out for people. I apologize for not getting the word out better.

There were seven people there I think, three were starting next year and two who have already started this year and will graduate with us in 2009 (they are on the extended program).

We talked about alot of issues ranging from being shirtless in OMM to getting into residency. I just found it comforting to talk to someone who is in the thick of it right now and still seems sane. I think the best advice I got was to take some time off in the next year and do something I want to do, travel, relax....sleep. It may be one of the last times I have the luxury.

We should do it again around January, when most of the class is filled, and make sure we all know exactly where to go.

I agree it would be nice to meet again in January.

I will be there, I'd love to do it again!

medic170 said:
and make sure we all know exactly where to go.

Alright, next time I guess we should get an estimated head count and reserve a spot. Without knowing if five or twenty people were coming really limited the bars ability to accommodate us.

Hello all,

I interviewed at MSUCOM on 10/28/04 and received an acceptance call from Kathy 11/02/04. I had interviewed at two other schools, DMU and LECOM. But I loved my experience at MSU. However, I am from chicago and am still waiting to hear from a few schools around here, but it will still be a tough decision as I really liked MSUCOM, but would like to stay closer to freinds and family. The students and faculty were extremely friendly and I felt the school had much to offer. Either way, staying closer to home or being at MSUCOM, I think I will be happy. Coming from a big city like chicago, whats the night life like out here? I stayed at a hotel in okemos on my interview, and saw only farms on my way to the school.

BERNZ said:
Hello all,

I interviewed at MSUCOM on 10/28/04 and received an acceptance call from Kathy 11/02/04. I had interviewed at two other schools, DMU and LECOM. But I loved my experience at MSU. However, I am from chicago and am still waiting to hear from a few schools around here, but it will still be a tough decision as I really liked MSUCOM, but would like to stay closer to freinds and family. The students and faculty were extremely friendly and I felt the school had much to offer. Either way, staying closer to home or being at MSUCOM, I think I will be happy. Coming from a big city like chicago, whats the night life like out here? I stayed at a hotel in okemos on my interview, and saw only farms on my way to the school.

There are 44,000 students here, there is no shortage of clubs, bars, or parties.

Oh and no summer break? eeekkk?! There must be some time off between the years?

BERNZ said:
Hello all,

There is tons to do here, you just came in from the farm side. In fact, one of the issues MSUCOM students have is finding a quiet apartment near school (they are all occupied by rowdy undergrads, it seems).

Did you apply to CCOM as well? If I were you I would probably go there as it has awesome rotations, and would be close to home for you, the main reason I would attend there is $$$-cheaper at CCOM for you. :luck: However, you can't go wrong with MSUCOM, it is a superb school, and you should be pleased to have an acceptance there.

BERNZ said:
Oh and no summer break? eeekkk?! There must be some time off between the years?

I think they are trying to give some more time between the years. I don't think it will be implemented by next year, though. My interviewer, Dr. Gorbis, was telling me about this issue.

Currently, students get a month off in summer, a month off in December, spring break, and other times that eventually amounts to about a summer off.

Yea, I did apply to CCOM, so im still waiting to hear from them but from what I have heard and seen MSU seems great. MSU also started to offer a 15000 a year scholarship for out of state students so that should help as well if I decide to come...so who knows, we shall see what happens.

If you're used to living in Chicago, coming to East Lansing will be like coming to hick town. Yeah, it is heavily populated with alot of students and is buzzing with activity but it's really not comparable to the environment of a city like Chicago.

That being said, it is a college city and this means that there is considerable commerce geared at serving the younger population...and it's all within 10 min. of the school. I like it alot.

BERNZ said:
Yea, I did apply to CCOM, so im still waiting to hear from them but from what I have heard and seen MSU seems great. MSU also started to offer a 15000 a year scholarship for out of state students so that should help as well if I decide to come...so who knows, we shall see what happens.
Yeah, that scholarship! I need that! :laugh:
Seriously, I do, but I haven't really gotten a good answer from MSU regarding that award. Has anyone heard anything about it? What are my chances of getting it? I'm a Cali resident, so I got the out-of-state thing covered, but what else do I need to be considered, ummmm...other than my FAFSA.

hudsontc said:
If you're used to living in Chicago, coming to East Lansing will be like coming to hick town. Yeah, it is heavily populated with alot of students and is buzzing with activity but it's really not comparable to the environment of a city like Chicago.

That being said, it is a college city and this means that there is considerable commerce geared at serving the younger population...and it's all within 10 min. of the school. I like it alot.

If you get really home sick for the big city, its only about an hour and a half to downtown Detroit. The Lansing metroplex has a pop of about 500,000 I think, but the Detroit area is much closer to the size of Chicago.

Hey all. Just wanted to say congrats for your acceptances. I too will be attending MSU next Fall to become an official member of the 2009 class. I am really excited. Where is everyone from? How many of you are Michigan residents, and how may are from out of state? :)

O'IrishEyes said:
Hey all. Just wanted to say congrats for your acceptances. I too will be attending MSU next Fall to become an official member of the 2009 class. I am really excited. Where is everyone from? How many of you are Michigan residents, and how may are from out of state? :)

Welcome and congrats. To answer your ?; I am from East Lansing.

O'IrishEyes said:

i'm from the small town of whitehall, michigan........ westside

fun8stuff said:
i'm from the small town of whitehall, michigan........ westside

Hmmm...what city is that near? Its not in the muskegon area by chance?

yposhelley said:
Hmmm...what city is that near? Its not in the muskegon area by chance?

yes, actually it is about 10 miles north of muskegon.

fun8stuff said:
yes, actually it is about 10 miles north of muskegon.

I knew it! I used to go to Blue Lake music camp every summer-I think the closest town is Whitehall! Fond memories of that area. Great summers.

To all those in-staters: Being that out-of-staters make up such a small percentage of the incoming classes to MSU-COM, should I expect to receive raised eyebrows or open arms if coming from Southern California? :scared:

O'IrishEyes said:
To all those in-staters: Being that out-of-staters make up such a small percentage of the incoming classes to MSU-COM, should I expect to receive raised eyebrows or open arms if coming from Southern California? :scared:

Why would anyone care that you are from So. Cal. ?

medic170 said:
Why would anyone care that you are from So. Cal. ?

Overall, I do not believe that they would. However, when visiting I did get a lot of "well, you are far from home." This is true, but in the context within which it was said, it did make me feel a bit isolated from the mostly Michigan group.

O'IrishEyes said:
Overall, I do not believe that they would. However, when visiting I did get a lot of "well, you are far from home." This is true, but in the context within which it was said, it did make me feel a bit isolated from the mostly Michigan group.

I don't think anyone will raise eyebrows at you. I am sure you will be VERY welcome. ;)

doesn't matter where you are from, you'll all go through the same **** first term. only difference regarding where you are from is where you go home to for the holidays. a friend of mine in school is from washington state, and that makes little difference to me other than he bitches about the weather alot ;) there are lots of little islands of people in each class that know one another, a good example is the msu undergrad crowd whom have know one another for awhile. you'll meet plenty of nice people at school, thats probably why you got accepted in the first place. trust me, the atmosphere is overly friendly at msu, no worries

Ratch said:
doesn't matter where you are from, you'll all go through the same **** first term. only difference regarding where you are from is where you go home to for the holidays. a friend of mine in school is from washington state, and that makes little difference to me other than he bitches about the weather alot ;) there are lots of little islands of people in each class that know one another, a good example is the msu undergrad crowd whom have know one another for awhile. you'll meet plenty of nice people at school, thats probably why you got accepted in the first place. trust me, the atmosphere is overly friendly at msu, no worries

This is true.

Hey O Irish-Michigan is a pretty open minded place, don't worry.

yposhelley said:
I knew it! I used to go to Blue Lake music camp every summer-I think the closest town is Whitehall! Fond memories of that area. Great summers.

Yup, your exactly right. Whitehall is a fun... but small town. I too went to blue lake fine arts camp a couple summers in a row. What years were you there?

fun8stuff said:
Yup, your exactly right. Whitehall is a fun... but small town. I too went to blue lake fine arts camp a couple summers in a row. What years were you there?

Hmmm...let me see, I went there consecutively from 1986 to 1992. My mother taught piano there during the suzuki camp. I went for piano mostly, and drama two years in a row (1991 and 1992). I think there is an age difference between us of a couple of years, so unless you went to the suzuki camp I don't think we would have seen each other.

yposhelley said:
Hmmm...let me see, I went there consecutively from 1986 to 1992. My mother taught piano there during the suzuki camp. I went for piano mostly, and drama two years in a row (1991 and 1992). I think there is an age difference between us of a couple of years, so unless you went to the suzuki camp I don't think we would have seen each other.

heh, yeah... i went there the summers of 1996 and 1997 for band.

By the way, Funstuff, how is the decision process coming along between Wayne State and CHM?

I decided to use post number 1000 to say.... MSU rocks!

(SDN rocks, too!) :horns:

Since I can't smash a guitar, I'll just have to smash a...
+pissed+

I have been accepted to MSUCOM 2009. I have been on the fence between UNECOM and MSUCOM :scared: I am drawn to both schools!!! Geez, before I have an ulcer about it... I want to know. Is it only me who feels a little intimidated by the size of the school :confused: I have never been to a big college and while I think it would be really exciting... it's a little scary. UNECOM is much smaller and seems like more of a family. What do you all think? Should I toughen' up and just do the damn thing?
All mixed up... 12/15/04 deadline looming. THANKS! :love:

O'IrishEyes said:
Hey, no worries, I've been accepted and I'm a SoCal native and resident. We've already got something in common, and I'm sure there will be others from the West and East Coasts. Not one of the group that I was with even batted an eye when I mentioned I was from Cali, I'm sure things will be great. :D

momo7430 said:
Is it only me who feels a little intimidated by the size of the school :confused: I have never been to a big college and while I think it would be really exciting... it's a little scary. UNECOM is much smaller and seems like more of a family. [/QUOTE

Yes, the campus is quite large. I've lived in Lansing my entire life and only learned my way around campus is the last 2 years! But, you probably will never see 50% of campus unless you choose to since both of the medical schools are based on the east side of campus. The worst thing is driving because there are busses everywhere and pedestrians walking everywhere! Trust me, don't base your decision on the large campus because it will seem small after you've been there for a month. Good luck with your decision though!

momo7430 said:
I have been accepted to MSUCOM 2009. I have been on the fence between UNECOM and MSUCOM :scared: I am drawn to both schools!!! Geez, before I have an ulcer about it... I want to know. Is it only me who feels a little intimidated by the size of the school :confused: I have never been to a big college and while I think it would be really exciting... it's a little scary. UNECOM is much smaller and seems like more of a family. What do you all think? Should I toughen' up and just do the damn thing?
All mixed up... 12/15/04 deadline looming. THANKS! :love:

I know how you feel. I grew up in E. Lansing but decided to attend a small public school out of state rather than attend MSU (I was intimidated by size as well). But seriously, you will spend nearly all your time in two buildings located very close to each other for the first two years of school. Its basically a small medical school that is affiliated with a large university.

yposhelley said:
By the way, Funstuff, how is the decision process coming along between Wayne State and CHM?

Not much progress... still leaning toward MSU... although i canceled 3 interviews I am still going to interview at a few other places- 1 place where i did a summer internship, and 2 other places where i have friends. I am also still waiting to hear from a few other places that i interviewed at. The thing is, is that I am almost positive that I want to stay in state... so MSU is looking like the place best for me.

Well, good luck! Still no word from U of M?