*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to noodle, there is no OMM/anatomy practical for the upcoming exam; does this mean there won't be any questions on the written either?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember Dr. Hill saying they were going to post copies of those labeled laminated sheets on noodle or somewhere. How do we access?

they're posted as a pdf on the day the "lab" was originally scheduled.

I like Dr. Kumar. He's a good guy, I know he's responsible for implementing NYCOM's attendance system but he's one of the good guys at NYCOM. He is very responsive to students and always trying to help. I can't imagine who's gonna give our next biochem lecture...it better not be Friedman...if it is, I say everyone takes attendance, then walks out in protest of her.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey...anybody know why our attendance status is not updated since last week??.......

This should be fun... :D

I'm missing 28,29, and the 31st...am I the only one?

wrong thread... sorry. I thought this was 2011.

Does anyone know what the deal with medical Spanish is? Do we need to already know Spanish to take it and how are we graded? Also, it meets once a week after normal classes, right?

Does anyone know what the deal with medical Spanish is? Do we need to already know Spanish to take it and how are we graded? Also, it meets once a week after normal classes, right?

No idea why we were not provided any course info.

are you able to log into the class of 2009 Medical Spanish course?
ALL LAST YEAR INFO
Last year it was 10 sessions from 5p-630p Tue and/or Thurs
ran from Oct 23-Dec 10th
10th class session was EXAM day

I have the required book/CD from last year and it looks like medical conversational spanish.

The book used last year starts with basics like nouns, alphabets, simple greetings then moves on to specific things that may be discussed in medical exams like parts of the body, chief complaints, etc. verb tenses and more "complicated" stuff is mixed in but the goal of the book seems to be to geared towards medical conversations with your patients after some simple greetings.

http://www.amazon.com/McGraw-Hills-...9483229?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189128952&sr=8-1

My concern would be how fast they went through the chapters and the fact that we are doing CV/Resp/Endocrine during this time. If you took some spanish or can speak a little conversational spanish from knowing spanish speakers(my case) the book seems very doable.

I shadowed a 1st year resident that did a full interview of her patient in spanish. She said she learned all her spanish in the hospital from 3rd year on...for whatever that is worth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo,

where can I get a list of hospitals I can do regionals at?

Yo,

where can I get a list of hospitals I can do regionals at?

You can go to the offices and get one of those NYCOMEC books. Not positive where they are, I think up behind the Library in that building up the hill. I'm sure they are posted online somewhere too :)

I caught only 1 minute of the scandalis meeting. The talk was only about religious holidays?

we probably got the same talk, about the changed attendance policy. if your religious leader fills out a form with all the dates that you will be required to miss you are excused and it doesn't count against the 20% that you are allowed to miss.

3rd year offerings worksheet from AT Still site. Things change yearly.

I thought the NYCOMEC booklet was only for post graduate training? guess I'll grab one when I have time. Lost my old copy.

I haven't read through the booklet, but I know that we have to stay w/in NYCOMEC hospitals for 3rd year. 4th year we can leave the system with permission. So the NYCOMEC booklet will list the hospitals, and may possibly have a section on which ones have regionals... not positive.

we probably got the same talk, about the changed attendance policy. if your religious leader fills out a form with all the dates that you will be required to miss you are excused and it doesn't count against the 20% that you are allowed to miss.

what if your religion doesn't have a "leader" per se?

Can we get a nap time too?? Oooo how about tinker toys and fingerpainting! Don't forget to share your crayons, boys and girls

:rolleyes:

I haven't read through the booklet, but I know that we have to stay w/in NYCOMEC hospitals for 3rd year. 4th year we can leave the system with permission. So the NYCOMEC booklet will list the hospitals, and may possibly have a section on which ones have regionals... not positive.

wait for the updated book because things change every year... who knows whats gonna happen once hofstra gets its med school and stops letting us use north shore/lij for rotations....

Hey does anyone know about looking at the rhythm strip and figuring out the heart rate for the EKG lecture. I dont have the required book and dont really have time to go get one at this point. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Count the number of small boxes left to right from the top of 1 Q wave to the next. Take that number and divide it into 1500.

Hey does anyone know about looking at the rhythm strip and figuring out the heart rate for the EKG lecture. I dont have the required book and dont really have time to go get one at this point. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Count the number of small boxes left to right from the top of 1 Q wave to the next. Take that number and divide it into 1500.

Much appreciated!!!:thumbup: Happy studying everyone

so a class mate tells me that we have to know that huge chart from the OMM lecture by the fellow for the test...but i thought she said we didnt have to know it for the test, but it's on the comlex. anyone else hear the same or am i making it up?

Hey guys, do you know what score one should have in order to pass? is it 70-75 range?? Or it depends on the class average?? Just curious...

so a class mate tells me that we have to know that huge chart from the OMM lecture by the fellow for the test...but i thought she said we didnt have to know it for the test, but it's on the comlex. anyone else hear the same or am i making it up?

I watched the review video. Dr. yao stated that we need to know the chart for this exam and for boards.

Hey guys, do you know what score one should have in order to pass? is it 70-75 range?? Or it depends on the class average?? Just curious...

It is always 70% unless class mean is 70% or less then passing would be 65%. they don't round up so a 69.6 or 64.7 would be a failure. this is what my feeble brain remembers.

check your powerpoint given by claire bryant during orientation.

Passing is always between 65 and 70. It is one standard deviation from the mean. This means if the class average is a 75, but 1 sd is 6, then passing is a 69.... However, it's never below 65 or above 70. so if the average is an 80 and 1 sd is 8, it's still 70. Hope this helps.

As for that chart.... I believe we have to know it for this test. Dr. Yao, and the fellow went over it, and it's not too bad if you think about it logically (as you go down in the body, the segments go down too).

my guess with the chart...

They are going to focus on the levels related to the heart and lungs... that's where the practice questions were focused on. I'd also know what the vagus nerve supplies and what hte pudendal nerve supplies and what levels they are from (OA and S2-S4). Those were also practice questions.

In regard to the easy way to figure out the rhythm. I haven't bothered to look in the book but you can figure it out from the numbers he has in the powerpoint...

the way to think about it logically is like this...go from the top of one qrs interval to the top of another... now think about this. If the large boxes are 0.2 seconds...5 large boxes equals 1 second. If you have the distance from one qrs interval to the next and its a distance of 5 large boxes that means you have a heartbeat every second which would mean 60 beats per minute right. What if you had a distance of only 1 box, that would mean you beat 5 times in 1 second right...therefore 300 beats a minute...that's where his numbers come from 300, 150, 100, 75, 60 If the distance is 1 box it's 300 per minute, if its over 2 large boxes it's 150, etc. etc. You can either memorize those numbers or just remember 300 and divide it by the distance between large boxes. Since you just have to approximate the rate you don't need to worry about dealing with little boxes and 1500...I think that way is a bit easier.

also...I did the thaler reading a few weeks ago and I'm almost positive that heart beat determination wasn't in our required reading...in case anyone gets it wrong and wants to take it up with Dr. Chaudry

good luck with the test tomorrow everyone...shout out to ckumar...you my boy kumar:cool:

if you are talking about an omm chart with sympathetic/parasympathetic innervations of organs, MEMORIZE THE ENTIRE THING. that is tested HEAVILY on boards and 3rd year shelf exams. i swear at least half of the fp shelf was those levels. its everywhere, so the earlier you learn it the better, its easy points.

I guess they're not gonna post the answer key today. :(

anyone else think that was pretty hard?

I thought it was a more difficult exam than last year's exam. The OMM and anatomy was easy, the physiology and genetics questions were much more difficult than I expected although I noticed 2 problems on physio had no correct answer...there were errors with the answer choices.

The histology was harder than I expected. Last year his questions were like "which cell secretes surfactant?"

There were no identification questions. The microbio I felt was easier than I expected it to be so overall I think it was a fair test.

I thought it was a more difficult exam than last year's exam. The OMM and anatomy was easy, the physiology and genetics questions were much more difficult than I expected although I noticed 2 problems on physio had no correct answer...there were errors with the answer choices.

The histology was harder than I expected. Last year his questions were like "which cell secretes surfactant?"

There were no identification questions. The microbio I felt was easier than I expected it to be so overall I think it was a fair test.
Really? I thought the histology was super easy. It was just identify cells on the exact slides he showed in class.

Sal had a very good question on there that was board style. :thumbup:

I thought the test was fair and hard and was the caliber that they should be, to help prepare us for boards; however, I, along with many others, felt it was a long test. I did not have the abundance of free time at the end that usually accompanies an exam. I noticed that at least 75% of the class was there till the end, which is more than usual.

well, I was kind of expecting something else aside from "identify" questions in histology. I expected knowledge based questions and not just "here, memorize my photos". As is I completely zoned out Rabin's lectures. I hope him and friedman go on vacation together and don't ever lecture to us again.

I don't think it was a "long" exam. I just think it took a bit longer than usual because there was more physiology than usual.

I also wish that respiratory and cardio were 1 unit and not graded separately. That's a little awkward. I'm sitting there trying to make sure I'm getting about 3 out of 4 questions correct in each unit and it made it a little more nerveracking than usual because of it.

well, I was kind of expecting something else aside from "identify" questions in histology. I expected knowledge based questions and not just "here, memorize my photos". As is I completely zoned out Rabin's lectures. I hope him and friedman go on vacation together and don't ever lecture to us again.

I don't think it was a "long" exam. I just think it took a bit longer than usual because there was more physiology than usual.

I also wish that respiratory and cardio were 1 unit and not graded separately. That's a little awkward. I'm sitting there trying to make sure I'm getting about 3 out of 4 questions correct in each unit and it made it a little more nerveracking than usual because of it.
I hear ya GBG. Two chances to fail on one test! :eek:

I hear ya GBG. Two chances to fail on one test! :eek:

yeah, a classmate made me realize today that if we totally bomb both parts of the test (get a really low grade like a 40 on both cardio and resp), there's no way you can pass those two courses unless you pull 100s on the next two exams...and that translates to failing not one course, but two meaning you're done for the year:scared:

but i didn't find the test exceptionally difficult...some physio questions stumped me and i found the micro to be a lot easier than i had anticipated. i felt like it was a fair test overall. i walked out not wanting to throw myself in front of a semi so i'd say it went well:) (or so it seems)

i didn't think the test was too hard or unfair this time..surprisingly.

just wondering if anyone can help me out with question #30 on test form B. It was sal's question about the 4yr old with RVH and atrophic LV who was placed on prostaglandin to prevent hypoxia.

The question asked which condition the baby had and the answer was transposition of the great vessels.
MY question is, couldnt the answer also be tetralogy? In tetralogy you also have RVH and would give the baby prostaglandin to keep the PDA open because it is a cardioprotective shunt (as it is in transposition). Anyway, if anyone could help me understand how you can tell definitively which one it is i'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

I think tetralogy has to include valve stenosis, I'm not sure if a 4 day old would have that. Transposition is probably the best answer but I was wondering if VSD would be acceptable...I'm just not sure if Eisenmenger would set in by day 4...

I think tetralogy has to include valve stenosis, I'm not sure if a 4 day old would have that. Transposition is probably the best answer but I was wondering if VSD would be acceptable...I'm just not sure if Eisenmenger would set in by day 4...

Thanks gobiggreen,

You're right about the question. I totally misread it as saying that the child was 4 YEARS old..in the case of a 4 day old it would def be transposition bc they would have to do surgery ASAP.

I don't think the answer could be VSD because it does take a while for Eisenmenger's to develop, and also even if it did develop, the severity of the deoxygenation in the LV would not be bad enough that the baby would be cyanotic, bc he's still getting oxygenated blood from the LA.

thanks for your help :)

I don't believe it could be VSD because left to right shunts are blue kids, not blue babies... an important distinction in this question.

Does anyone else have a 2 point discrepancy between what you figured out your Respiratory grade and what it's listed as online? I'm short 2 points online and so is someone else I talked to.

I don't have my exam with me but I think I'm short 2 points because I have the grade I graded it at but they seem to have corrected one of my questions. It happened to be the question I complained about though which Dr. Youmans responded to me saying that he WOULDN'T accept the answer (surface tension in alveoli one)...so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Does anyone else have a 2 point discrepancy between what you figured out your Respiratory grade and what it's listed as online? I'm short 2 points online and so is someone else I talked to.
Interesting, I noticed the same thing - 2 points, but thought I must have just misfigured it. I'll recount again.

VSDs are acyanotic since they're L->R shunts, unless they get reversed by the incr in PVR. According to Lilly, the earliest onset of this kind of Eisenmengers would be 2 yoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.