*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and, there's a difference between one lawyer turned student arguing with the administration and an actual filed lawsuit. if NYCOM thought there was any chance they could lose money to us (say at minimum our second year tuition because of gross breach of contract and lack of provision of promised services btwn the attendance crap, the room closures, etc. etc....) then they'd sit up and listen. if they had something to lose: both money and the fact that the lawsuit would publicize how little regard they have for us.

if we get one of those going AND get a religious discrimination suit (because you can get excuses for the celebrations of some religions but not others -- if you're of a faith without "leader" like quaker or some forms of buddhist, zoroastrian, wiccan, etc. you have no one to sign your excuse form) going through the ACLU at the same time...wham-bam.

hey man, if you want to go thru the time and effort of starting a lawsuit, more power to you. but if i were you i would just study. nycom has lawyers too, and although you pay them to go here, no one is forcing you to stay. doing well and graduating, despite all of their nonsense, is the best revenge.

Members don't see this ad.

Can we call FOX 5 PROBLEM SOLVERS? or HELP ME HOWARD?

i'm not even kidding

Members don't see this ad :)
I could just see the reporter asking Dr Scandalis:
"Dean is this why cadavers from your school are missing, because students are removing bodies from the dissection tables so that they can use the tables to study for the exams?
HAHAHAHAHA

I could just see the reporter asking Dr Scandalis:
"Dean is this why cadavers from your school are missing, because students are removing bodies from the dissection tables so that they can use the tables to study for the exams?
HAHAHAHAHA

LOLOLOLOL

Dam I feel bad for you guys. At least us 1st years just finished our intro course at the beginning of the week. So we really didn't have much lecture since.

anyone have last years exam?

hey man, if you want to go thru the time and effort of starting a lawsuit, more power to you. but if i were you i would just study. nycom has lawyers too, and although you pay them to go here, no one is forcing you to stay. doing well and graduating, despite all of their nonsense, is the best revenge.

ah, but i know some f'ing awesome lawyers. and i'm doing just fine, even on qbank for board prep. plus, if we do well, nycom just takes the credit when it isn't theirs to take (especially this coming year), so there's no revenge, no matter justice, in simply keeping one's head down and doing well and getting out. and there's principle here. there's right and wrong. there are customers not getting what they thought they were paying for on one level, and there's the simple fact that we're being treated poorly and have every right to stand up for ourselves. at some point we need to grow real balls and have enough self-respect to really do something.

and as for no one is forcing me to stay...sure, in the ultimate sense, no. but the fact that i agreed to come here under a set of circumstances in exchange for my money, existed one year that way, and then had it changed on me is not the same as if i was a first year. as second years, we cannot simply transfer to another school for this year. we'd have to wait out the year under the altered circumstances (that we were not aware of nor did agree to upon matriculating) and then transfer for 3rd and 4th year, or start first year over again somewhere else. either way, i paid a year of tuition, held up my end of the bargain, and then did not get what i paid for.

ah, but i know some f'ing awesome lawyers. and i'm doing just fine, even on qbank for board prep. plus, if we do well, nycom just takes the credit when it isn't theirs to take (especially this coming year), so there's no revenge, no matter justice, in simply keeping one's head down and doing well and getting out. and there's principle here. there's right and wrong. there are customers not getting what they thought they were paying for on one level, and there's the simple fact that we're being treated poorly and have every right to stand up for ourselves. at some point we need to grow real balls and have enough self-respect to really do something.

and as for no one is forcing me to stay...sure, in the ultimate sense, no. but the fact that i agreed to come here under a set of circumstances in exchange for my money, existed one year that way, and then had it changed on me is not the same as if i was a first year. as second years, we cannot simply transfer to another school for this year. we'd have to wait out the year under the altered circumstances (that we were not aware of nor did agree to upon matriculating) and then transfer for 3rd and 4th year, or start first year over again somewhere else. either way, i paid a year of tuition, held up my end of the bargain, and then did not get what i paid for.
I wasn't aware they made drastic changes to the DPC curriculum? What did they change for you guys?

I wasn't aware they made drastic changes to the DPC curriculum? What did they change for you guys?

the rules they changed changed for all of us, they just don't have as dramatic an impact in SOME cases. the attendance policy applies to us, too, for the lectures for which we're responsible. which means that sometimes there is the need to interrupt an otherwise excellent full 16 hour day of studying with 3 hours (including the travel time) in the middle for the chance of having to click in for a lecture that will likely be crappy by a fellow from which we learn nothing at all. the no retake/no makeup exams policy also applies to us for the parts of your exams we take and the practicals, and summer remediation in case of failure for us has been taken away, too.

also, your loss of your study space will impact the whole campus as you are displaced into the library, other buildings, and the lecture hall in which we sometimes conduct reviews. granted, we haven't been as screwed as you guys, but we haven't been spared it either.

plus, it's just bastardly and wrong what they're doing.

Does anyone have a clue of how much we are expected to know for Dr. Marcus' online radiograph assignment. There are literally hundreds of radiographs on the link.

Does anyone have a clue of how much we are expected to know for Dr. Marcus' online radiograph assignment. There are literally hundreds of radiographs on the link.

In the email he sent with the link he entioned what is expected of us:

"identify pleural effusions, infiltrates, COPD (chronic bronchitis and emphysema), atelectasis, adenopathy, pneumothorax and other significant abnormalities. Also, imaging techniques should be reviewed."

Anyone else find today's exam easier than expected? There was a huge amount of material we needed to study but it seems like they made it easier than they could have. Maybe they felt bad for us for once.

Also, did anyone else notice we didn't have any of Marcus' radiographic questions or questions from Kumar or (i think?) questions from Dr. Shlofmitz.

I love when you spend time studying stuff that's not asked on the exam. I guess it will benefit us for the boards, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was driving to school today and on 1010 WINS they announced that LIJ and Hofstra are teaming up to open a medical school....I was just like damn...

Oh and I thought Dr. Shlofmitz had a couple of questions on the test, I just want them to post the answers already

The IHSS question was definitely his.

Also, the cover of newsday today mentions Hofstra's medical school.

The IHSS question was definitely his.

Also, the cover of newsday today mentions Hofstra's medical school.

Ya Hofstra got pre-approval for a medical school like 2 months ago, it was all over the news. I don't think it will be happening too soon though

Yea, even if this goes down, 2 years would be the earliest for them to open. It's too late this year for them to take applications...

I can't see it really affecting the nycom class of 2010 at least.

Meanwhile...what takes so friggin long for this school to post an answer key. The test was from 2-4 on Monday...shouldn't they be able to post an answer key by 5 PM? Wouldnt it make sense for them to have an answer key before the test began?

I understand it takes a while to make a corrected answer key, but honestly when it's wednesday afternoon and we don't have an answer key yet, I find it annoying.

Yea, even if this goes down, 2 years would be the earliest for them to open. It's too late this year for them to take applications...

I can't see it really affecting the nycom class of 2010 at least.

Meanwhile...what takes so friggin long for this school to post an answer key. The test was from 2-4 on Monday...shouldn't they be able to post an answer key by 5 PM? Wouldnt it make sense for them to have an answer key before the test began?

I understand it takes a while to make a corrected answer key, but honestly when it's wednesday afternoon and we don't have an answer key yet, I find it annoying.

i find it EXTREMELY annoying...and so typical of nycom

anyone else think they should also be able to give an exam without having 5-10 bad questions on the test that need corrections as well...

I mean...most lecturers only submit around 5 questions...would it be that difficult to make sure they were good questions?

But honestly...what the hell is taking them so long already?

you found that many errors on the CV&Resp exam 2?

Keys are out now but I was expecting much longer with the building closing.

Maybe they dont make a key before the exam for security reasons? :confused:

anyone else think they should also be able to give an exam without having 5-10 bad questions on the test that need corrections as well...

I mean...most lecturers only submit around 5 questions...would it be that difficult to make sure they were good questions?

But honestly...what the hell is taking them so long already?

Nah, honestly, I didn't find any errors with the exam...that's a first...I was talking about exams in general...

I don't understand why it takes so long to post exams even without a power failure...shouldn't it take a few minutes if they have it prepared already?

Agreed. Our exams should be posted as we're taking the exam, or immediately after.

Do u guys remember who gave us that lecture teaching us that an anterior wall MI requires a pacemaker?

It took the school over a week to get us our 3rd test grade up for Fundementals 2011. We still don't have our OMM or Anatomy Practicle grades and we took the exams over a week ago. Power or no power we should have these grades in.

For Cardiac ICC which of these do we have to do?
Vital Signs
Peripheral Vascular Exam
Cardio Exam

Possibilities
Fundoscopy (for roth spots, hypertensive retinopathy, etc)
Abdominal exam
Lung exam (R/O resp causes)
Palpate thorax front and back for tissue texture changes
Palpate Cervical spine (OA and C2 changes)
Review of systems - Neuro, GI, GU

soooo how much of a problemo is it going to be if all we have is a stethscope for our first DPR?? I donno, dropping 5 or 6 bills for an otiscope/opthalmascope just seemed wayyyyyyy to crazy...

im not gonna be sent home am i? haha

For Cardiac ICC which of these do we have to do?
Vital Signs
Peripheral Vascular Exam
Cardio Exam
Vital signs.
Palpate carotids
Listen to carotids (pt. holds breath)
Auscultate 4 points of the heart(pt. leans forward / holds breath)
Auscultate Erb's point(pt. leans forward / holds breath)
Palpate PMI (point of maximum impulse)
Listen to PMI while pt. in left lateral decubitis
Listen to lungs (4 points anterior / posterior)
Palpate thoracic spine
Check feet/legs for edema (make them take socks off)

Do u guys remember who gave us that lecture teaching us that an anterior wall MI requires a pacemaker?

Dr. Salehmohamed...it was the last bullet on one of the last slides in the packet I believe.

Just curious- did any of you take Dr. Pavia's question about the IV drug user and endocaditis's answer choice of 'Tricuspid or Left-sided valve' as a typo? I was talking to a bunch of people after the exam and we all seemed to think that the "or" meant the left-sided was another name for tricuspid and was a typo that was meant to be right-sided or a flat out wrong answer choice. I put pulm valve because the tricuspid is on the right and pulm was the only other valve answer choice. I challenged it and he wrote back saying its in the notes (which it is on page 2) and that "or" does not mean "another name for" in that answer choice. :mad:

Just curious- did any of you take Dr. Pavia's question about the IV drug user and endocaditis's answer choice of 'Tricuspid or Left-sided valve' as a typo? I was talking to a bunch of people after the exam and we all seemed to think that the "or" meant the left-sided was another name for tricuspid and was a typo that was meant to be right-sided or a flat out wrong answer choice. I put pulm valve because the tricuspid is on the right and pulm was the only other valve answer choice. I challenged it and he wrote back saying its in the notes (which it is on page 2) and that "or" does not mean "another name for" in that answer choice. :mad:

i actually remember him saying in class that IV drug users most commonly get the tricuspid valve, but other than that they can also get a normal left sided valve infection too. if i hadn't remembered him saying that though, i wouldve read it as a typo as well. but it is in his notes and was mentioned in his lecture.

Does anyone know what kind of cases the ICC patients have? its just cardio right, no resp problems?
thanks

Does anyone know what kind of cases the ICC patients have? its just cardio right, no resp problems?
thanks
If you're talking about the "Cardio encounter", I believe it is all cardio cases.

thanks. No idea why they dont give us a PDF of minimal expectations like in year 1.

ICC soap makes my hands smell like gasoline.

:confused:
I believe that's from the soap mixing with the dried tar and wooly mammoth blood on your hands. :D

with the rain were having today we are looking at more flooding in the lecture halls and they just put in new carpets. In yet another show of NYCOM's infinite wisdom they didn't check the weather report before installing the carpets...hhahhahahah

Why were they fixing the two front doors at the serota building, were they broken?? I walked by and saw Scandalis looking on approvingly while standing in the rain.

I hope I was doing something wrong when I tried to access old lectures on Still...because they are no longer there when I checked. There is nothing there except rotation stuff. No more old exams either!!!

I hope I was doing something wrong when I tried to access old lectures on Still...because they are no longer there when I checked. There is nothing there except rotation stuff. No more old exams either!!!

yeah, saw that too. Those old lectures can only help us so no reason to take it down in my opinion. I was going to stream Ettlinger just so I could get his lecture in one shot instead of spread out through our next few labs.

Which is why you should sign up for the class of 2009 courses on Noodle...I'm not sure if you can still add them but I have access to all those courses and already archived all the old exams if you guys ever need anything just Private Message me.

Meanwhile...we're in Mollie tomorrow...

Anyone else bringing their gas masks?

i'm a little confused

do you mean that you can't see the videos of old lectures from 2009? because i have no problem streaming 2009 lectures..
or did you mean you the actual powerpoints are not available?

so for Exam II Respiratory, I found a 2 point difference between my guru scores and my calculated scores from updated answer key. For Cardio II a 4 point difference.

-they put the key for Exam III cardio for class of 2009 so just upload keys from both resp and cardio page.
-One of the cardio keys has 54 questions with 2 added pulmonary path questions added so not sure if that is the problem.

Anyone else?

so for Exam II Respiratory, I found a 2 point difference between my guru scores and my calculated scores from updated answer key. For Cardio II a 4 point difference.

-they put the key for Exam III cardio for class of 2009 so just upload keys from both resp and cardio page.
-One of the cardio keys has 54 questions with 2 added pulmonary path questions added so not sure if that is the problem.

Anyone else?

Nope- mine looks good.

Which is why you should sign up for the class of 2009 courses on Noodle...I'm not sure if you can still add them but I have access to all those courses and already archived all the old exams if you guys ever need anything just Private Message me.

good to know since some lecturers think those old videos are of value. :laugh:

Heartdr,

On the AT Still site there is no longer class of 2009 lectures just rotation related folders.

Why were they fixing the two front doors at the serota building, were they broken?? I walked by and saw Scandalis looking on approvingly while standing in the rain.

Ahh yes the fine bunch at NYCOM admin at their best. I think they hit the random button on their priority of list of things to do. Anyone would agree that sliding doors go above new carpet in mollie/william :confused: The install was done on the worst day possible when it was pouring.

It gonna be almost 2 weeks and the new carpet install still isn't completed. Let's see how long it takes them to figure this out. I love it how they wait for the absolute last minute to determine where class will be.:mad:

Ahh yes the fine bunch at NYCOM admin at their best. I think they hit the random button on their priority of list of things to do. Anyone would agree that sliding doors go above new carpet in mollie/william :confused: The install was done on the worst day possible when it was pouring.

It gonna be almost 2 weeks and the new carpet install still isn't completed. Let's see how long it takes them to figure this out. I love it how they wait for the absolute last minute to determine where class will be.:mad:

Not that I think they are good decision makers, but it's kind of a good thing they are taking so long to put in the rugs. It's because they are actually CLEANING the mold and other "biohazardous microbes" out of the room before putting in new rugs. It's not the end of the world to have to walk to the other lecture hall at the last minute, it's better than sitting in mollie breathing the fumes from the floor treatment (which is the reason they moved us). I just wish the desks in riland were a little bigger, and there were some outlets. That has gotten old, fast.

Not that I think they are good decision makers, but it's kind of a good thing they are taking so long to put in the rugs. It's because they are actually CLEANING the mold and other "biohazardous microbes" out of the room before putting in new rugs. It's not the end of the world to have to walk to the other lecture hall at the last minute, it's better than sitting in mollie breathing the fumes from the floor treatment (which is the reason they moved us). I just wish the desks in riland were a little bigger, and there were some outlets. That has gotten old, fast.
I agree. I'm glad they haven't put in the new floor until it is cleaned out. I just hope they have precautions in place before they put the new floor in so it doesn't happen again or at least before the next big storm.

So we found out today that "study room closing for construction" actually means "making it smaller." :rolleyes: Why do they plan things like making the study room smaller the same year mandatory attendance goes into effect, thereby increasing the number of students on campus and therefore the number utilizing study areas? Shouldn't the mandatory attendance plan have expansion of study areas, cafeteria, etc. ? :confused:

the fact that interview season is coming up would explain why the sliding doors were installed ASAP. They do want to encourage future students (victims) to enroll in the school and the sliding doors say "come on in our establishment is so inviting that you will never even have to turn the door knob to enter the building. Things just open for themselves around here."
You have to laugh,its the only thing that could possibly make these next 6 mo. pass as quickly as possible :laugh:

when do interviews actually start... and does everyone try to act a little more professional when they do start

Status
Not open for further replies.