*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 *** pt. 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I think they are good decision makers, but it's kind of a good thing they are taking so long to put in the rugs. It's because they are actually CLEANING the mold and other "biohazardous microbes" out of the room before putting in new rugs. It's not the end of the world to have to walk to the other lecture hall at the last minute, it's better than sitting in mollie breathing the fumes from the floor treatment (which is the reason they moved us). I just wish the desks in riland were a little bigger, and there were some outlets. That has gotten old, fast.

Im glad you think that but the rooms have not been worked on since the carpet was removed on monday. There is no cleaning going on. This is the third time that building has flooded since I have been there. The last two times they just dried it out. I was told the holes in the wall were drilled few years ago when it flooded so they are used to this.

Changing carpet and stuff is no biggie but its how these guys go about it that amazes me. They have this false hope that the rooms are ready so they dont figure it out till the last minute to switch to riland. But you would think they would look beyond 1 day at a time. Same goes with the study room construction. This school does not beleive in planning.

Members don't see this ad.

when do interviews actually start... and does everyone try to act a little more professional when they do start

Students or faculty? If you mean students then, no. Why would you unless your an ambassador, you really just try to be nice. I remeber my NYCOM interview being well done and fast, I don't even remeber any of the students. NYCOM does a good job of selling itself, and they have a good matchlist.

I hope they don't put down carpet b/c its going to flood again, they need to put down something else (tiles, linoleum) and in the walkway just put runners so people won't slip when the ground gets wet. They need to think about filling the pond and putting grates/drain in front of the bottom doors, or maybe sandbagging the bottom doors when its suppose to have bad weather.

Members don't see this ad :)
It took me a few emails but I was told by Dr. Bryant that we will be receiving the correct notes.
Digitally (moodle) or hardcopy (mailboxes)?

Hey guys 2 Q's.

Has anyone started studying for the boards yet? I am getting nervous b/c i havent started anything yet, so just wanted to get some idea.

Another thing, whats the consensus on doing a regional rotation? My opinion is that the only advantage is if that hospital has good residencies that you are interested in doing, the yearlong rotation gives you more chances to get better contacts in that hospital.

BTW, whats that bs with them not taking clicks for like 4 days, that hurts your present/absence ration alot.

Hey guys 2 Q's.

Has anyone started studying for the boards yet? I am getting nervous b/c i havent started anything yet, so just wanted to get some idea.
Yes. By the end of cardio/resp thread, you should have gone thru and annotated(where needed) everything in those 2 sections of 1st Aid. It doesn't hurt to start incorporating board questions from Qbank or Robbin's Path review books.
Another thing, whats the consensus on doing a regional rotation? My opinion is that the only advantage is if that hospital has good residencies that you are interested in doing, the yearlong rotation gives you more chances to get better contacts in that hospital.
Yes, that is the benefit; however, some see it as putting all your eggs in one basket.
BTW, whats that bs with them not taking clicks for like 4 days, that hurts your present/absence ration alot.
Especially if you were counting on the last month to make up attendance. Don't forget you have to be present for 80% of the cardio lectures AND 80% of the respiratory lectures. They are NOT averaged together.

I think they are trying to make attendance more random. This way you dont know when it will be taken and u have to be in class even more often if the attendance is not taken every day. I heard thats what they do with the first years...very shady completely unlike NYCOM

Hey guys 2 Q's.

I know everyone is so hell bent on boards boards boards all year and there are people who don't leave home without their first aid book, but don't freak out over it. Contrary to what people have said in the past, the NYCOM lectures actually DO cover all the major concepts that are on COMLEX. This is just one man's advice, but learn all the CONCEPTS now, first time around. Sure, throw some practice board questions in all along the way so you get an idea of how they ask them. Don't stress out about all the details and everything now though. You probably won't remember side effect #2 of "drug Z" 7 months from now, but you should be able to remember or have an idea of what the drug does in general. If you feel highlighting everything in first aid at this point would help you, then do it. I personally didn't open a board review book until classes ended and when I did review, everything was familiar to me.

It took me a solid year to learn not to worry about what everyone else is doing. I'd recommend you do the same.

Hey guys 2 Q's.

At the end of each system i go over First Aid and Goljan Rapid Review Pathology and ,EVENTUALLY our class notes covers 70-90% of what is in there. If you are learning the NYCOM material now you should be in good shape. Not sure how biochem is covered in GI but that would be the time to step it up. I'm going to start BSS (CV, Resp, and Heme/Lymph) in december though.

Anyone else not in class today get marked present in attendance?

I'm not sure how that happened.

I agree too by the way...if the book says 80% attendance at lectures you would assume that means, 80% of lectures. That's utter bs if they only take if a few times and go "well hey, you missed 3 out of 6 lectures, you fail".

In terms of review...I've heard if you know first aid cold you're in great shape for the boards. Also, my cousin and his fiance (both first year residents at stony brook) said don't worry about cracking down on studying until 6 weeks before the exam...just don't slack off between now and then. Another one of my friends wrote 2 chapters for this year's first aid book said 6 weeks as well, but i'm not sure he should be trusted, haha.

Honestly, everyone learns differently, I wouldn't take anyone else's advice, do what you think is best for you.

by the way, we've so far had about 20 "clicks" per cardio and respiratory unit. That means if you're missed more than 4 "clicks" of each you're failing.

That's ridiculous in my opinion if you've missed 4 classes and all of them happen to be "clicks". Could they honestly fail you for that? That'd be ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude i don't know...good for you... but i was there and clicked in today, and got marked "absent" ... i was gonna email claire bryant but i figure she'll just claim that it's "part of the 20%"...once a sucker, always a sucker... countin' down to may 12th....

maybe they accidently reversed the attendance and meant to mark people there present and those gone, absent.

maybe they accidently reversed the attendance and meant to mark people there present and those gone, absent.

haha no I was there and I was marked present. Last week though one of my friends was absent and marked present.

Are there really only 20 cardio and 20 pulm days that attendance was taken? I missed 2 days over the last 2 months, so if both of them were in cardio or pulm that means I'm already at 90% for them.

there's only 41 "clicks" since that orientation week. I didn't bother to go through, but someone told me they're supposed to be splitting the clicks evenly. If not, it could be 15 and 26 for all we know...

they are totally making this stuff up as they go along. Realistically we will probably have another 10 clicks for each system making the total number of clicks for each system 30. So if someone was absent for >6 clicks of one system they fail. But realistically since they just informed us of teh 50/50 split they will have to fail dozens of students since a lot of people split their attendance to make sure they will only be present 80%. No matter how strict the dean wants to be with the policy he cant fail dozens of people since this 50/50 split is totally new info and there is nothing in the syllabus about it

Wow- did you guys realize that tomorrow's the last day of cardio? I guess we'll have plenty of time to study for that test!

they are totally making this stuff up as they go along. Realistically we will probably have another 10 clicks for each system making the total number of clicks for each system 30. So if someone was absent for >6 clicks of one system they fail. But realistically since they just informed us of teh 50/50 split they will have to fail dozens of students since a lot of people split their attendance to make sure they will only be present 80%. No matter how strict the dean wants to be with the policy he cant fail dozens of people since this 50/50 split is totally new info and there is nothing in the syllabus about it

where is all of this explicitly stated? the student handbook?

I was present and marked present. Something might be wrong with the clicker system in Riland since we had 280+ people click in on Elkowitz's lecture. Are DPC students required to be there?

we only have one more day of cardio...which means 1 more click...that's on monday.

This policy is ridiculous. They are making this up as they go along. They say 80% of lectures for attendance...clicking in randomly does not measure that. I hope someone sues them.

we only have one more day of cardio...which means 1 more click...that's on monday.

This policy is ridiculous. They are making this up as they go along. They say 80% of lectures for attendance...clicking in randomly does not measure that. I hope someone sues them.

Everyone complains about the "EZ pass" system, but I don't know if people realize that implementing that would actually eliminate the random clicking problem. You will be marked present for EVERY lecture you attend, even if you're 5 min late. Right now, if you're 5 min late, you're marked absent for the entire day, just because you missed the click. If they're going to hold strong on the attendance thing, I can't wait for them to get the ez pass up and running. If you think about it logically, if they took account for EVERY lecture we got, we could miss a day a week (1/5 = 20%)! instead of just 4 for the entire system!

anyone know whats going on with our omm practical grades? its been almost 2 weeks...

they said we'd get them this week...

anyone know whats going on with our omm practical grades? its been almost 2 weeks...

It's getting a little ridiculous how behind they're getting. We still haven't been given the notes from Dr. Fischer either that noodle says will be distributed to the class. Who knows when they'll print out Tegey's notes for us...at this rate we'll be well into Endocrine. :thumbdown:

I wonder if Gilliar is aware of how long this is taking. Maybe I'll shoot him over an email.

So I was just streaming Fischers Resp. toxicology lecture and was absolutely shocked that the last 10 min. of the lecture were not included in the streaming. So the class poll on our degree of satisfaction or should I say disatisfaction and the toxic basket recipient were accidently not included. NYCOM students' rights and privileged have always been thoroghly respected at out institution of higher learning so this must an IT error. This is obviously a huge mistake and if the dean ever got a word of this he would want it corrected instantaneously. So I thnk I'll shoot him an email that he will respond to in his usual hurried manner and offer all the students and Dr.
Fischer a well deserved apology and all will once again be great at NYCOM. Phewww I can study in peace knowing that I am a member of such a fine institution

So I was just streaming Fischers Resp. toxicology lecture and was absolutely shocked that the last 10 min. of the lecture were not included in the streaming. So the class poll on our degree of satisfaction or should I say disatisfaction and the toxic basket recipient were accidently not included. NYCOM students' rights and privileged have always been thoroghly respected at out institution of higher learning so this must an IT error. This is obviously a huge mistake and if the dean ever got a word of this he would want it corrected instantaneously. So I thnk I'll shoot him an email that he will respond to in his usual hurried manner and offer all the students and Dr.
Fischer a well deserved apology and all will once again be great at NYCOM. Phewww I can study in peace knowing that I am a member of such a fine institution
Fine, so long as you don't cc it to the entire class via Stanley.

hi,

does anyone know if they took attendance today during elkowitz?

can anyone explain how a practical on inhalation/exhalation dysfunctions and rib treatment is cardiovascular and not respiratory?

Not at all...

OMM should be a separate entity for examination purposes. It should be something you have to pass, but not something that needs to be passed on the first shot or you fail the course. Honestly, I think they're a little lax in grading OMM for the most part. I wish they would do away with grades and have more individualized exams where they went through a series of stuff with us to make sure we really knew the material but at the same time they could also remove the pressure by adding a stipulation that you must pass or keep repeating it.

I guess with 300 students it would be a logistical nightmare but it would be a much better assessment of us if we had to make a few diagnoses and go through all techniques that we learned in class rather than make 1 diagnosis and perform one technique. I'm not sure that's the best preparation for step 2 of the boards...then again, step 2 is a long way away.

i agree... has the OMM dept actually said that if you fail the exam, you fail the entire course? I think its pretty crazy that theoretically, if you get your diagnosis wrong, you fail all of respiratory or cardio. Maybe all of the OMM exams are averaged for the entire year?? I think thats the way DPC does it, but I'm not sure.

Its true, if you fail the omm for the course, you fail the course. Its ridiculous b/c what the hell do 2 or 3 labs have to do with the whole lecture course. Its usually not related and should be graded seperately. Its crazy that if you ace the writtens, and you mess up on the diagnoses of the ribs you fail.

Also, i assume it is split, so our next omm practical is cardio. If you fail it, you fail 3 months of cardio??? that what it looks like, anyone know something different?

The lecturer today is putting me to sleep, but gotta be here for the damn omm quiz, so gotta stay. DAMN.

I thought the next OMM practical was respiratory...

What the hell though. In endocrine we're doing pelvic OMM.

So if you fail pelvic OMM by messing up a diagnosis they're going to tell us we can't be doctors? That would be absolutely ridiculous. They need to figure out a way to fix that, especially since in one of the JAOA's that I get I saw a study done recently that said something like in a trial 81% of teaching fellows agreed on the same diagnosis. I think the article was trying to show how legitimate diagnosis was.

The truth is though, if teaching fellows agree only 81% of the time...19% of the time time they DON'T agree. How can we fairly be tested on something that can't truly be assessed anyway. I don't mind them testing us on techniques. That's something we can learn how to do, but OMM diagnosis in my opinion should be very lightly weighted in terms of our final OMM grade.

Dr. Miller's lecture today was one of the more boring lectures we've had this year. I'm not sure what was important that he spoke about, and what wasn't important.

You know, a good way to make some money would be to offer going to class and taking people's clickers for some small fee. Let's say you take my clicker for the rest of the year and I give you $40/month for it... get 3 people to take up that deal, you're makin $120/mo, thats not bad. But I bet you could get a lot more than $40/month, b/c that's just over a dollar/day, and it might cost a lot more than $1/day for gas, not to mention opportunity cost. Let's see, my willingness to pay would be about $2.50/day, maybe $3.

According to the syllabus were suppose to have two omm test for both cardio and resp. but I see they just decided to change this with out ever notifying the students....I agree OMM needs to be its own course, it really has nothing to do with anything...And what the hell is up with these damn OMM lectures....

If I have to redo Resp. b/c I don't know BLT I'll go crazy...

You know, a good way to make some money would be to offer going to class and taking people's clickers for some small fee. Let's say you take my clicker for the rest of the year and I give you $40/month for it... get 3 people to take up that deal, you're makin $120/mo, thats not bad. But I bet you could get a lot more than $40/month, b/c that's just over a dollar/day, and it might cost a lot more than $1/day for gas, not to mention opportunity cost. Let's see, my willingness to pay would be about $2.50/day, maybe $3.
I'm already getting $4/day/clicker. If we have to click in the afternoon, that's an extra $1. Stop trying to undercut me! You're so cut throat! :laugh:

does anyone know why the pediatric lung lecture will not be posted? did she say anything important that was not in the notes? Thanks

Where did you see it will not be posted? I left midway through. She pointed out some things she thought would make good test questions before I left but for the most part she pretty much read directly off her slides.

its on the movies web site it says: "Pediatric Pulmonary Considerations - this video will not be posted"

Where did you see it will not be posted? I left midway through. She pointed out some things she thought would make good test questions before I left but for the most part she pretty much read directly off her slides.

It says it on the movies page. I'm a little annoyed because in the 2nd half she had a lot of pictures w/ lots of explanations that aren't in our packet. If I had ICC i'd be really mad! I think they just forgot to tape it. There doesn't seem like any other good reason.

does anyone know why the pediatric lung lecture will not be posted? did she say anything important that was not in the notes? Thanks

Hmmm....I know the mic kept getting real quiet and at one point there was a lot of interference with the speakers....maybe that's the reason??

sometimes if the profs use copyrighted material in their slides they cant post that stuff on the website. it happened to us a bunch of times, either they would cut out the whole section of movie or just have audio. i know thats a stupid reason but its entirely possible. or maybe she just didnt want it posted, i think profs still have the right to say no to that. who taught it anyway? we only had one 100 year old man teach us peds.

sometimes if the profs use copyrighted material in their slides they cant post that stuff on the website. it happened to us a bunch of times, either they would cut out the whole section of movie or just have audio. i know thats a stupid reason but its entirely possible. or maybe she just didnt want it posted, i think profs still have the right to say no to that. who taught it anyway? we only had one 100 year old man teach us peds.

They can post stuff now because you have to have a password to access it. Everyone uses copywrited material. I don't think they can request to not have it streamed, because there is ICC during lecture, and so it's not fair to those people. Something probably got messed up w/ the stream. I think you're talking about dr. twist? We've had him too, but we had cataletto today.

Status
Not open for further replies.