Official Pharmacy Investing (Stocks/Funds) Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:mad:

WTH is going on with ACTC...why has it more than quadrupled and it keeps going up???

Glad I'm still holding on to them. Bought them when they were 8 cents/share.

Members don't see this ad.

:mad:

WTH is going on with ACTC...why has it more than quadrupled and it keeps going up???
Man, I have just been waiting for this to take a hit, but it keeps going up each day. Is there any news coming about soon? If not, I may just jump in here and hope for the best.
Whats the best way to play the oil stocks? I feel like in the future, oil will reach its all time highs again, is the best way to play it to buy "OIL", "USO", or maybe an Exxon?
I bought alot of Amazon last month, in attempt to make a play on the kindle market, but hasnt moved much. I'm looking for some solid long term growth stocks that have been hit hard they should rebound in the future. Any suggestions? I'm strongly leaning towards Alcoa, Dryships (up 48% for me so far), Citigroup and/or Huntington Bancshares. I'll be holding onto my good dividend payers like Annaly (14%), Verizon, and Altria.

hi i am a new stock trader and wonder if someone can lighten me
on the basis of taxes? if u trade daily how much are taxed compare
to trading only once a month, a year, etc? i heard daily trading of
stocks gets a hike in taxes? ..and are there tips to filing taxes for
daily traders? thanx for any info.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMGWTFBBQ.. you want to daytrade but don't know about how your gains are taxed >_>;

Well, this is a helpful site for someone who just start investing - Investopedia.com

Capital Gain 101
http://www.investopedia.com/articles/00/102300.asp

Generally, you want to buy and hold for at least a year to get the best tax treatment...

oki. i looked up the definition of day trade and im not considered
a day trader. thats a ton of taxes. up to 35% tax? not that regular
trading is any less. 15% tax for regular trading? our tax system is
sosoo depressing! discouraging ppl from making the most of themselves.

Networth update +$30k this year, thanks to rally in dow jones/smart investing! Slowly but surely getting to my $1M mark to be financially independent!

Stocks are really pricy now... Hoping for ~ +$40k in 2011, looking hard for value stock -.-;

Man, I have just been waiting for this to take a hit, but it keeps going up each day. Is there any news coming about soon? If not, I may just jump in here and hope for the best.
Whats the best way to play the oil stocks? I feel like in the future, oil will reach its all time highs again, is the best way to play it to buy "OIL", "USO", or maybe an Exxon?
I bought alot of Amazon last month, in attempt to make a play on the kindle market, but hasnt moved much. I'm looking for some solid long term growth stocks that have been hit hard they should rebound in the future. Any suggestions? I'm strongly leaning towards Alcoa, Dryships (up 48% for me so far), Citigroup and/or Huntington Bancshares. I'll be holding onto my good dividend payers like Annaly (14%), Verizon, and Altria.

2 Words : BP and Cisco...

Disclaimer: 20% of my networth is in BP, bought at $39

If you want to buy oil or oil related companies, don't buy USO or any of the standard/leveraged ETFs, unless you enjoy time decay and losing money. If you want exposure to oil, I think NOV, RIG, HAL, and SLB give higher exposure compared to XOM, but with much higher volatility.

oki. i looked up the definition of day trade and im not considered
a day trader. thats a ton of taxes. up to 35% tax? not that regular
trading is any less. 15% tax for regular trading? our tax system is
sosoo depressing! discouraging ppl from making the most of themselves.

When I was trading, this was never my thought. It's way harder to be actually profitable at trading (as opposed to investing); taxes were/are the least of my concern.

Networth update +$30k this year, thanks to rally in dow jones/smart investing! Slowly but surely getting to my $1M mark to be financially independent!

Stocks are really pricy now... Hoping for ~ +$40k in 2011, looking hard for value stock -.-;

Dude, 2 months ago you said you f bernanke, i hate QE...and yet now you're rejoicing because of the subsequent rally and consequent decline of USD against every currency? That's exactly why QE exists!

Taxes before 2011 if you held a stock over a year the capital gains tax was only 15 % and if you held under a year it was 30%. Now pretty much everything is 30% capital gains tax no matter how long you hold because ( not sure on less a year) becasue the government is in so much debt. If you hate quantative easing and hope it ends, well one it does in june look at the fund TMV. Im buying it now and even though is a 3x short on bond prices huge rewards could be reeped if our interest rates go the way of the europeans.

Taxes before 2011 if you held a stock over a year the capital gains tax was only 15 % and if you held under a year it was 30%. Now pretty much everything is 30% capital gains tax no matter how long you hold because ( not sure on less a year) becasue the government is in so much debt. If you hate quantative easing and hope it ends, well one it does in june look at the fund TMV. Im buying it now and even though is a 3x short on bond prices huge rewards could be reeped if our interest rates go the way of the europeans.

Dude...
2 weeks ago obama extended the bush tax cuts for capital gains...so it's still the same rules...at least til jan 1, 2013.

also, i've owned most of the leveraged treasury products; i held TBT from dec 08 until QE1; then I held TLT and bought TMF as a swing trade. i wouldn't hold products like these long term, unless you enjoy volatility and time eating up your profits; there are many articles explaining why levered ETFs aren't ideal. i do like the cut of your jib, but there are other better (10 year treasury futures) or safer ways to play (buy emerging markets, gold, commodities; sell USD)

in terms of direction...i don't believe our rates can go the way of the euro. first, it's politically unsustainable, and uncle ben will print to enable people to get a low rate to buy a house. greece/ireland can't print money, germany will just get pissed at them. it's a double standard, but whatever.
second, if it does happen, there's no alternative. what will be the currency of choice? euros? too fragmented. chinese yuan? maybe, but US/europe won't want the chinese setting monetary policy. in any case, that would be a true great depression #2

Dude, 2 months ago you said you f bernanke, i hate QE...and yet now you're rejoicing because of the subsequent rally and consequent decline of USD against every currency? That's exactly why QE exists!
Why did you think I put about 95% of my money to stock right after the announcement? I didn't just sit back and did nothing about it, did I? Not taking advantage of the major monetary policy like this was foolish...

HGSI up 12%....FDA approved new lupus drug in over 50 years (Benlysta)

Too bad, I chickened out of this one... 50/50 chance the FDA would reject it, oh well hind sight always 20/20 >_>;

Really wishing I put more money where my mouth is regarding NOV. I forgot about this until recently and didn't realize how well NOV outperformed vs XOM/USO/OIL ever since my post. Obviously NOV is different than XOM or derivatives like USO, but I think it provides great retail exposure to oil/energy.

Members don't see this ad :)
EWV (short bias 200% Japan market) up 20% after the earthquake... I think this still can go up if Japan economy turn to a halt because of the tsunami...

I've been thinking Novo Nordisk looks pretty good lately (NVO). Any thoughts? I'm tired of gold....

NVO @ $124... Drug company with a PE of 27 (too high for me)... analyst target is $126 this year... it's close to target... might not run up much anymore... I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

Eli Lilly (LLY) $34 targeting $38 this year... looks like a bargain at PE 7.7... maybe if you know their upcoming product line it may be a good buy.

NVO @ $124... Drug company with a PE of 27 (too high for me)... analyst target is $126 this year... it's close to target... might not run up much anymore... I wouldn't buy it if I were you.

Eli Lilly (LLY) $34 targeting $38 this year... looks like a bargain at PE 7.7... maybe if you know their upcoming product line it may be a good buy.

Pretty much all of pharma has low PE right now because of huge challenges facing the industry as a whole: (1) european pricing pressures (2) r&d (lack of) productivity (3) patent cliff.

if anything eli lilly is at the very worst with something like 60% of revenue going off patent in next few years and a string of phase 3 r/d failures. if you believe in their pipeline (they are thoroughly anti-merger/large acquisition), then its a good buy

http://seekingalpha.com/article/257463-why-dividend-investors-should-consider-eli-lilly?source=feed

With Fidaxomicin's review on April 5 with pending approval end of May, if you're going to jump in on OPTR... better do it soon.

With Fidaxomicin's review on April 5 with pending approval end of May, if you're going to jump in on OPTR... better do it soon.

OPTR is a good pick for a runup to the FDA dates.

Another one with huge potential is AMRN. Currently developing an omega-3 fatty acid with a larger target than Lovaza. Currently awaiting results for populations with Triglyceride levels of 200-500. (Lovaza is only indicated for 500+)

FCSC is also a good/cheap stock to look at for a run up to the FDA date in July but there will probably be a small dilution before that.

OPTR is a good pick for a runup to the FDA dates.

Another one with huge potential is AMRN. Currently developing an omega-3 fatty acid with a larger target than Lovaza. Currently awaiting results for populations with Triglyceride levels of 200-500. (Lovaza is only indicated for 500+)

FCSC is also a good/cheap stock to look at for a run up to the FDA date in July but there will probably be a small dilution before that.

WowOptr taking a hit today. Anyone have any good stock picks since the FDA will be meeting soon April to May?

WowOptr taking a hit today. Anyone have any good stock picks since the FDA will be meeting soon April to May?

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:VRTX

vertex hep c drug is almost guaranteed approval from what i have been reading - do you think they are overpriced right now / has the pre-approval hype already been built into the stock price?

even if it goes up a couple dollars after approval, not bad for a quick turnaround

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:VRTX

vertex hep c drug is almost guaranteed approval from what i have been reading - do you think they are overpriced right now / has the pre-approval hype already been built into the stock price?

even if it goes up a couple dollars after approval, not bad for a quick turnaround

From a valuation standpoint I think we already missed the boat on this one. Price is trading much higher than both 50 and 200 day moving average on the notion that a lot of people are factoring in approval. If approved will it go up? I believe so but I think that if not approved the consequences are much worse. The book value/share is 2.48. A lot of these stocks will trade closer to that value should they not get approval. So to risk a $50/share purchase now seems too risky to me. If you look a lot of insiders are selling off the stock like crazy too. Without digging in and reading trials and analyst reports, I see lots of red flags.

I do like optr. It's trading much closer to moving averages, has 0 debt, and is much more affordable (for me at least) at ~12/share. 2 things concern me after investigating this drug. Safety as viewed by FDA and reports of lab abnormalities much higher than vancomycin and two, where this drug will be in terms of treatment choice for c diff. Most hospitals rx flagyl first line bc it's dirt cheap, then use vanc if no response. How the company prices this will make a huge difference. C diff is on the rise, so short-term I think we might see some use, but it looks better as a long term option. Some analysts also seem to think that if approved a buy out by a larger company at 17-19/share seems right.

From a valuation standpoint I think we already missed the boat on this one. Price is trading much higher than both 50 and 200 day moving average on the notion that a lot of people are factoring in approval. If approved will it go up? I believe so but I think that if not approved the consequences are much worse. The book value/share is 2.48. A lot of these stocks will trade closer to that value should they not get approval. So to risk a $50/share purchase now seems too risky to me. If you look a lot of insiders are selling off the stock like crazy too. Without digging in and reading trials and analyst reports, I see lots of red flags.

I do like optr. It's trading much closer to moving averages, has 0 debt, and is much more affordable (for me at least) at ~12/share. 2 things concern me after investigating this drug. Safety as viewed by FDA and reports of lab abnormalities much higher than vancomycin and two, where this drug will be in terms of treatment choice for c diff. Most hospitals rx flagyl first line bc it's dirt cheap, then use vanc if no response. How the company prices this will make a huge difference. C diff is on the rise, so short-term I think we might see some use, but it looks better as a long term option. Some analysts also seem to think that if approved a buy out by a larger company at 17-19/share seems right.
From what I read, the main lab abnormality issues were with elevated liver enzymes that returned to normal after treatment. This doesn't seem like too much of a concern IMO. I mean, doesn't ibuprofen do the same thing?

From what I read, the main lab abnormality issues were with elevated liver enzymes that returned to normal after treatment. This doesn't seem like too much of a concern IMO. I mean, doesn't ibuprofen do the same thing?

I think it's more of an issue that the FDA may want more data on this than anything else. My question is why is the volume is so high on it and the stock price dropping when most agree of a favorable outcome?

I think it's more of an issue that the FDA may want more data on this than anything else. My question is why is the volume is so high on it and the stock price dropping when most agree of a favorable outcome?

Not sure, but a friend of mine who knows more about biotech stocks than I do said that it's pretty common for a drop before approval/a positive recommendation. Likewise, it's also common for a final upward push to occur before a rejection/negative recommendation. So hopefully it's a good sign. Briefing documents come out tomorrow so we shall see.

Annaly is a REIT stock just lime agnc (pays 20%). These dividends don't last forever and expect to see them vanish within the next year. Likewise a lot times when the dividend goes, so does the stock price. I bought some agnc but it makes me nervous and I watch it on a fairly frequent basis. I set a stop loss on this one so I can hopefully get out quick if stock should plummet.

Annaly is a REIT stock just lime agnc (pays 20%). These dividends don't last forever and expect to see them vanish within the next year. Likewise a lot times when the dividend goes, so does the stock price. I bought some agnc but it makes me nervous and I watch it on a fairly frequent basis. I set a stop loss on this one so I can hopefully get out quick if stock should plummet.

Fidaxomicin and Vancomycin had a similar incidence rate of SAE(serious adverse event) in system organ class.

In laboratory abnormalities, there were 19 incidences (4.7%) in fidaxomicin group and 5 incidences (1.2%) in vanco arm. In fidaxo group, 16 out of 19 SAEs were unrelated to the study drug. 3 SAEs were hyperurecemia and increased AST/ALT which were reversible (1 to 2 times normal level in 21 days and normal at 77 days). The 5 SAEs in Vanco arm was deemed unrelated to drug therapy. The differences in laboratory
SAEs between fidaxomicin and vancomycin treated patients appeared to be accounted for by a series of incidental and unrelated findings. All cause mortality was not different by treatment group.

How will the FDA panel view this? We will find out on Friday or next Tuesday.

I recommend listening closely to what Z has to say. I followed up on 3 of his recommendations after doing some research of my own, and am 3 for 3 so far (ACTC, HGSI, and OPTR).

I'm counting OPTR as a win since I've already realized significant gains (up ~20% since I bought it) and it will get the fidaxomicin approval in my opinion.

Keep em comin', Z!

Fidaxomicin and Vancomycin had a similar incidence rate of SAE(serious adverse event) in system organ class.

In laboratory abnormalities, there were 19 incidences (4.7%) in fidaxomicin group and 5 incidences (1.2%) in vanco arm. In fidaxo group, 16 out of 19 SAEs were unrelated to the study drug. 3 SAEs were hyperurecemia and increased AST/ALT which were reversible (1 to 2 times normal level in 21 days and normal at 77 days). The 5 SAEs in Vanco arm was deemed unrelated to drug therapy. The differences in laboratory
SAEs between fidaxomicin and vancomycin treated patients appeared to be accounted for by a series of incidental and unrelated findings. All cause mortality was not different by treatment group.

How will the FDA panel view this? We will find out on Friday or next Tuesday.

Here's the FDA Advisory Committee Briefing Document for Fidaxomicin.

Read all about it.

Fidaxomicin

Here's the FDA Advisory Committee Briefing Document for Fidaxomicin.

Read all about it.

Fidaxomicin

I got in in it around $12 per share and I think it'll get approval as well. Now the question is at what point do you get out and take your gains?

Another stock I got in at at the recommendation of a broker I know was RPC. Stock popped the yesterday and may have some more pop to it.

It's all about getting in and out at the right times. I rarely hold through FDA decisions as its very hard to tell what they are going to do. OPTR traded in a nice range after its stock offering in Feb.

I got in at 11.7 and got out of it @ 12.8 on the 3/25. (for 9% gain)

Since optr got a good review you can expect a nice run up to the FDA date on May 30th.

XNPT is up on the 4/6 and would jump 5-10 bucks if it got approval for RLS but chances are slim for approval. The FDA doesnt seem to like gabapentin type products.

I got in in it around $12 per share and I think it'll get approval as well. Now the question is at what point do you get out and take your gains?

You get out at the peak post fda approval frenzy....usually before noon of the date of approval.

Was thinking about putting in a stop loss on optr just incase approval doesn't happen. What do you guys think about that strategy? Say I put a stop loss in at $12. Do you think I'll get out fast enough to avoid any significant loss?

Was thinking about putting in a stop loss on optr just incase approval doesn't happen. What do you guys think about that strategy? Say I put a stop loss in at $12. Do you think I'll get out fast enough to avoid any significant loss?

I have a Stop Order set at $12.50.

Sometimes stop loss doesn't do jack ****...

If the news comes out when the market opens, you'll save ton's of money. But, when the news hits before market opens, you'll see bid and ask price -20% right away, making the stop loss order totally pointless...

Sometimes stop loss doesn't do jack ****...

If the news comes out when the market opens, you'll save ton's of money. But, when the news hits before market opens, you'll see bid and ask price -20% right away, making the stop loss order totally pointless...

my only experience with this is during 2008-2010 aka ridiculous volatility where bid/ask spreads were ridiculous, and putting in stops would work but you probably would not get 12...probably 11.95 or so, which isn't huge in the grand scheme of things, but could be worse depending on how fast/severe of a drop. the bigger risk would be a move not during trading hours, where at 9AM it will open much lower than your stop...and then you automatically sell...and then by 10am it's recovered a little bit and you'll be kicking yourself.

so it's tough. but better than nothing i suppose. the real question is, what is your profit target/duration? you're already up 10%...hold til may doesn't sound too bad, just as long as you have a goal.

Thanks for the advice guys. Has anyone looks at TSRX (Trius Pharmaceuticals)? Thinking about buying 500-1000 shares. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice guys. Has anyone looks at TSRX (Trius Pharmaceuticals)? Thinking about buying 500-1000 shares. Thoughts?

I posted about torezolid on some other post.

Will OPTR hit $14 today???

:love:

Nice, OPTR $13.75 was just upgraded from raised to buy at BofA/ML targeting $17 (25% increase from the current price; it runs up 5% today). I have been eyeing this one since it was $10.50 but never took the plunge to buy some shares >_>;

My runner up so far is BIDU 170 shares bought at $116, now $142

Next 48 hours is pivotal for OPTR. I'm ready to get out... Hope Ad Com gives two thumbs up with the FDA rubber stamping to follow..

I tried to get in at $5.25 today but missed the boat. The phase III trial against Linezolid for CSSI is scheduled to complete in 3rd quarter of 2011. They may present a preminary data at the ICAAC in September in Chicago. This is a total speculation on my part. Good news will catapault this stock.... Definitely a long term watch...

I make more money betting on college sports, both in real dollars and percentage-wise, than betting in a stock market. Er, I'm sorry, "investing." I forgot, when rich people do it, its classier. That's why they are "eccentric individualists" whereas I'm a "crazy *******."

Pitt (-8) vs Butler in the 2nd round of the tourney? Take Butler straight up, let alone with points. Free money. And I called that **** on this very forum, too.

I make more money betting on college sports, both in real dollars and percentage-wise, than betting in a stock market. Er, I'm sorry, "investing." I forgot, when rich people do it, its classier. That's why they are "eccentric individualists" whereas I'm a "crazy *******."

Pitt (-8) vs Butler in the 2nd round of the tourney? Free money. And I called that **** on this very forum, too.

What I do with pharma stock is not investing.

If you're so sure, why don't you post your Sports Bet predictions right here. How about tonight and tomorrow's games?

Next 48 hours is pivotal for OPTR. I'm ready to get out... Hope Ad Com gives two thumbs up with the FDA rubber stamping to follow..

Assuming a positive panel recommendation and subsequent FDA approval, do you not see much of an upside for holding past the approval date? I'm fairly new to this and trying to find the best time to get out. I know you mentioned before noon on the (potential) approval date, just wondering why.

Assuming a positive panel recommendation and subsequent FDA approval, do you not see much of an upside for holding past the approval date? I'm fairly new to this and trying to find the best time to get out. I know you mentioned before noon on the (potential) approval date, just wondering why.

Under an ideal situation, FDA approval of a drug can cause a post approval frenzy. In case of Momenta (MNTA) and their generic Lovenox approval in July 2010, it did exactly that. This approval was Momenta's first drug on the market... which meant the company has arrived. Now, Teva with their 30 drugs already on the market gets a drug approved, it doesn't move the stock much. Look at the peak here....then it settled down. I got in at $5 and got out at $24. So if I'm still holding the stock today, I wouldn't have made as much.

presentation1oh.jpg

Now, OPTR is in a similar situation.. Fidaxomicin is their first drug on the market if FDA approves it.

I tried to get in at $5.25 today but missed the boat. The phase III trial against Linezolid for CSSI is scheduled to complete in 3rd quarter of 2011. They may present a preminary data at the ICAAC in September in Chicago. This is a total speculation on my part. Good news will catapault this stock.... Definitely a long term watch...

Got in today around 5.50. Thought it was a good time with the drop. I bought wi understanding I'll have to hold for a while, but hopefully got in before price starts getting driven up.