Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The most exciting thing in my life atm is the discovery that ONE of my eyebrows is going white. I'm 24. Wat? Even old people usually go grey before they get wiry-white old man eyebrows, but noooooo.
x-men-storm.jpg

Perhaps your latent superpowers are manifesting!!

Members don't see this ad.

Mascara comes in brown too. But you'd probably want to use an eyebrow pencil, which I think is actually a thing, though I've never used it. You don't have vitiligo or something, do you? I knew someone with a white eyebrow, but she also had some skin de-pigmentation.
No, no vitiligo (though tbh you'd probably have a hard time telling because yes, I am THAT pale).
Eyebrow pencil does the skin, though, right? I need something to color the actual hairs, so I thought mascara.
It's a moot point, I'd never bother tracking down makeup just for something this silly.
Well, in Texas with their low cost living it makes it possible. lol Don't think I'm a guy who is BSing about his underserved background past, I'm doing better now though. But if I had not move to Texas from California, I would end up like most of my friends from HS, dead, lock up, and never went to college. IDK about the mascara thing, I think it is black, to be honest I like a girl that doesn't wear too much make up (cause they can hide their uggo face).
Oh, no! I'd never imply that you're BSing, I know you're not. It wasn't about not being able to own a house, my family legitimately does not want to because we prefer renting. No maintenance, no taxes, if something breaks it just gets fixed with a phone call, if the house falls apart or the neighborhood goes to crap or hell, let's go try living somewhere else for fun or move to a new job...just move!
x-men-storm.jpg

Perhaps your latent superpowers are manifesting!!
OK, see, even SHE has normal eyebrows. This is not helping me feel better :p (jk, it totes is.)

Hmmm...eyebrow is less extreme than hair. I guess that'd mean I'd be a B-lister. If I'm Storm's parallel, I could what, make it a bit foggy? Which reminds me of my fav team-building question: favorite B-list superpower?

Mine would probably be the ability to just make somebody really have to use the bathroom, like now. Subtle, not gonna save the world, but surprisingly useful. Awkward interview moment? No answer forthcoming? Well, that's OK, because suddenly the interviewer excuses themselves to run to the bathroom!
Key moment in a sports game, you want your team to win? Who do you think is faster, the guy with the empty or the full bladder?
Try plotting world domination when you have to go, NOW, every 30s.

To make it C-list, every time you use it, you also feel the effect. Or, you can only transfer your own level of misery onto others, so your power is only useful when you really have to go. Better keep some emergency spoiled tacos in your back pocket!

Reactions: 1 user
use a sharpie to cover them. :p

Well for me, we just sold my house and waiting to see what new house we get. School is almost over, I'm doing good at the moment. And waiting to hear back from this job I applied that supposedly pays really good and they can work with my school schedule.

What kinda job is it?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, no vitiligo (though tbh you'd probably have a hard time telling because yes, I am THAT pale).
Eyebrow pencil does the skin, though, right? I need something to color the actual hairs, so I thought mascara.
It's a moot point, I'd never bother tracking down makeup just for something this silly.

Oh, no! I'd never imply that you're BSing, I know you're not. It wasn't about not being able to own a house, my family legitimately does not want to because we prefer renting. No maintenance, no taxes, if something breaks it just gets fixed with a phone call, if the house falls apart or the neighborhood goes to crap or hell, let's go try living somewhere else for fun or move to a new job...just move!

OK, see, even SHE has normal eyebrows. This is not helping me feel better :p (jk, it totes is.)

Hmmm...eyebrow is less extreme than hair. I guess that'd mean I'd be a B-lister. If I'm Storm's parallel, I could what, make it a bit foggy? Which reminds me of my fav team-building question: favorite B-list superpower?

Mine would probably be the ability to just make somebody really have to use the bathroom, like now. Subtle, not gonna save the world, but surprisingly useful. Awkward interview moment? No answer forthcoming? Well, that's OK, because suddenly the interviewer excuses themselves to run to the bathroom!
Key moment in a sports game, you want your team to win? Who do you think is faster, the guy with the empty or the full bladder?
Try plotting world domination when you have to go, NOW, every 30s.

To make it C-list, every time you use it, you also feel the effect. Or, you can only transfer your own level of misery onto others, so your power is only useful when you really have to go. Better keep some emergency spoiled tacos in your back pocket!
Lol, that B-list power sounds pretty effective...I'll be back. Feeling this sudden urge to use the bathroom...

Lol, that B-list power sounds pretty effective...I'll be back. Feeling this sudden urge to use the bathroom...
Yeah, I've always been a bit fuzzy on the hard cutoff between A/B/C list powers. I think of it as B because a strong-willed person could simply put up with the misery, a planning-ahead person could just incorporate a diaper into their suit or a toilet into their HQ/robot/whatever, and a ruthless person could just shoot you in the head if you annoyed them enough and couldn't figure out how to defend yourself. Also, range is a factor. Range of touch = only useful if no one knows what you can do and if you can finagle access to the person. Good for social situations. Mid-distance range would also be powerful in public situations - a speech, a sports game, a class. Range of sight (or close enough) would be 'I can help fight supervillains'. Sight, including via camera? Officially the creepiest superhero ever! :shrug:

Yeah, I've always been a bit fuzzy on the hard cutoff between A/B/C list powers. I think of it as B because a strong-willed person could simply put up with the misery, a planning-ahead person could just incorporate a diaper into their suit or a toilet into their HQ/robot/whatever, and a ruthless person could just shoot you in the head if you annoyed them enough and couldn't figure out how to defend yourself. Also, range is a factor. Range of touch = only useful if no one knows what you can do and if you can finagle access to the person. Good for social situations. Mid-distance range would also be powerful in public situations - a speech, a sports game, a class. Range of sight (or close enough) would be 'I can help fight supervillains'. Sight, including via camera? Officially the creepiest superhero ever! :shrug:
I'd want Jean Grey's powers. She's obviously my favorite!! :love:
Jean-Grey-Phoenix-X2-Screencaps-x-men-34594506-500-281.jpg

It would probably make me far more neurotic than I already am to be able to hear other people's thoughts. You can keep that superpower. I think I would take flight. No more rush hour traffic for me!

Hey everyone! I am new here, my name is Karishma and my majour is Biomedical Sciences with a minour in chemistry. I do cancer research and I would like to go into neurology. Hope everyone is doing well!:)

EMS dispatcher.

Pretty cool. Private EMS or 911?

Hey everyone! I am new here, my name is Karishma and my majour is Biomedical Sciences with a minour in chemistry. I do cancer research and I would like to go into neurology. Hope everyone is doing well!:)

Welcome!

I would consider changing your username and/or picture. Might be in your best interest to stay anonymous on here since many ADCOMs frequent these forums.

Welcome!

I would consider changing your username and/or picture. Might be in your best interest to stay anonymous on here since many ADCOMs frequent these forums.

Thankya!

:welcome:

Are you by chance an international student? I detect this based on your writing style. If so, there are some threads on pre-allopathic forum to help you out but my recommendation is to visit the International Forums for further assistance.

Urrggghh, my unofficial transcript showed my AP scores and entrance exams (aka what courses I tested out of). Just ordered my official one to check it and of course those things aren't on there.
Also, they don't have any conversion factors (there are no 'credit hours' on my transcript because our school didn't do those), so I basically have to make a lot of assumptions about the weight of my undergraduate courses and hope AMCAS goes along with it, which I guess they probably will since I'm hardly the first med school applicant from there and no one else had an issue.

Members don't see this ad :)

Welcome!

911 Saaaan!

Urrggghh, my unofficial transcript showed my AP scores and entrance exams (aka what courses I tested out of). Just ordered my official one to check it and of course those things aren't on there.
Also, they don't have any conversion factors (there are no 'credit hours' on my transcript because our school didn't do those), so I basically have to make a lot of assumptions about the weight of my undergraduate courses and hope AMCAS goes along with it, which I guess they probably will since I'm hardly the first med school applicant from there and no one else had an issue.
I'm sure it'll be fine. Btw, have you checked any of the old AMCAS Q&A threads? You can't be the first person who's had this issue.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Btw, have you checked any of the old AMCAS Q&A threads? You can't be the first person who's had this issue.
I asked someone who applied from my school. It's not an issue, per se...you just follow some basic guidelines and loosely translate your courses into normal credit hours. It's just bizarre to look at, because the official transcript does not come with any conversion guide, so it's kind of funny that AMCAS is 'verifying' my transcript when in actuality they have no ability to do so.

I asked someone who applied from my school. It's not an issue, per se...you just follow some basic guidelines and loosely translate your courses into normal credit hours. It's just bizarre to look at, because the official transcript does not come with any conversion guide, so it's kind of funny that AMCAS is 'verifying' my transcript when in actuality they have no ability to do so.
Sorry, it looks like I missed the last sentence from your previous post. It must be weird, but you'll forget about it the moment it gets verified.

Sorry, it looks like I missed the last sentence from your previous post. It must be weird, but you'll forget about it the moment it gets verified.
NP, I just found it bizarre. You'd think they'd have a better system. On the plus side, it's nice to go from 'everyone at my college did the same number of classes, period' to 'hey, now that I convert to credits I was doing almost 50% more than the requirement (minimum would be 13credits, or 4 nonscience courses, and I was doing 18 or so just from all the lab.)

The 'urrggghh' in my first post was more about the AP stuff. I had gotten my hopes up seeing it on my unofficial transcript, even though I knew I wouldn't get credit for it in the gpa. I mean, I have what, 11 of the damn things? It'd be nice to get some credit for the material I covered even if it doesn't affect my gpa. I look as if I did little math, but in fact I took 2yrs of calc. My foreign language is in there, etc. It continues to irritate me that AMCAS doesn't just let you count AP courses directly as their own section. The fact that I could take the class alongside someone, score higher than them on the exam, and then be actually less likely to have it count (higher score = better college apps, most highly ranked colleges don't accept AP credit) for me just blows my mind. Same class, same exam, should be the same credit.

I know, I know...it will make zero difference. I'm not worried about it from an app standpoint. I just find it annoying.

:welcome:

Are you by chance an international student? I detect this based on your writing style. If so, there are some threads on pre-allopathic forum to help you out but my recommendation is to visit the International Forums for further assistance.

No i am not. But i appreciate your help, I may look into it!

Anyone else feeling a tad stressed with applications coming up? TMDSAS opens tomorrow and submission as soon as spring grades are in :eek:

Anyone else feeling a tad stressed with applications coming up? TMDSAS opens tomorrow and submission as soon as spring grades are in :eek:

People always say that the application cycle was the most stressful part of their premed experience. Before I applied, I thought there was no way. However, having now gone through the process, I can totally see why someone might think it is the most stressful time, ESPECIALLY since i was studying for my second MCAT take that was on June 5th last year.

I still think nothing comes close to the stress involved with studying/taking the MCAT.

Edit: with that being said, feel free to ask me any questions, on here or PM.

Yup. I'm definitely stressing. It's all the essays...they're just hanging over my head. I hate writing about myself!

Yup. I'm definitely stressing. It's all the essays...they're just hanging over my head. I hate writing about myself!

I was in your shoes last year. I think we all hate that. Or at least I hope we do . . .

Good luck with the writing and try not to stress/snap at people too much. They forgive . . . but trust me they don't forget . . .

(and I am not referring to any stressing you are doing on here because as far as I am concerned this is a pretty good place for it, I'm just saying I'm still getting an earful about how unlivable I was a year ago)

@Lawper you're doing that thing where you randomly tag people and confuse the hell out of them again... :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
I'm referring to your steadfast views on women's rights and request your reaction to the above meme. Accurate? Stereotypical? Insane? :smug::smuggrin:

Ah -- Yes, I'm absolutely 'steadfast' on women's rights. (Like your word choice - very diplomatic) But, who are we kidding? I'm hard-core. To my way of thinking, "semi-equal" is an oxymoron.

My reaction? As a sibling of two very different adults, a parent of two very different biological kids and a step parent of two more (also very different) step kids, I think that meme vastly overstates the role of parents in shaping their kids' personalities. There's a lot we can do, and I don't mean to downplay our importance -- but my kids very much are who they were from Day 1. They arrived with their personalities intact, and all I was able to do was a little 'shaping' here and there.

So a funny meme, but I don't see any real utility in it.

Ah -- Yes, I'm absolutely 'steadfast' on women's rights. (Like your word choice - very diplomatic) But, who are we kidding? I'm hard-core. To my way of thinking, "semi-equal" is an oxymoron.

My reaction? As a sibling of two very different adults, a parent of two very different biological kids and a step parent of two more (also very different) step kids, I think that meme vastly overstates the role of parents in shaping their kids' personalities. There's a lot we can do, and I don't mean to downplay our importance -- but my kids very much are who they were from Day 1. They arrived with their personalities intact, and all I was able to do was a little 'shaping' here and there.

So a funny meme, but I don't see any real utility in it.
Between my childhood peer relations class and my personalities class (both fun, the latter more so, btw!), I've pretty much come to believe that the biggest factors are genetics and childhood peer group. The whole nature vs nurture thing would be a more useful debate if people took 'nurture' to be 'the other kids they interact with' rather than 'parents'. :shrug:

Between my childhood peer relations class and my personalities class (both fun, the latter more so, btw!), I've pretty much come to believe that the biggest factors are genetics and childhood peer group. The whole nature vs nurture thing would be a more useful debate if people took 'nurture' to be 'the other kids they interact with' rather than 'parents'. :shrug:

Very Interesting... I think you're onto something -- Certainly explains a lot of the ghetto-to-gang despite everything [some of] the [most earnest] parents tried to do --

I totally agree with the psychology behind that. Though parents are the ones considered in the "nurture" aspect as they tend to raise the child, one's peer group is honestly a more influential factor. One can have the most strict parents in the world, but if he or she associates with trouble makers, he/she will probably become one as well. You are definitely on to something.
In terms of intelligence, I do believe that the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, depending upon the genetic distribution. Usually unintelligent children that come from smart upbringings are lazy and apathetic.

Sorry, I was an orgo major. We just make cool stuff!

But i thought you loved analytical chem. And chromatography! And distillation (lf sweat)!
I like analyzing individual molecules. Not so much 'find the composition of this solution'. Totes different :p

Y'all watching this fight?!

I tuned in. Since it was stupid packed at all the bars and there was practically a $20 cover everywhere to see it, I got it on PPV with some friends. I know lots of people are saying it was a real boring fight, but it actually surpassed my expectations by a lot... especially the first 6-7 rounds. I was cheering hardcore for Manny, but I definitely think Mayweather won the fight.

What'd you think?

I tuned in. Since it was stupid packed at all the bars and there was practically a $20 cover everywhere to see it, I got it on PPV with some friends. I know lots of people are saying it was a real boring fight, but it actually surpassed my expectations by a lot... especially the first 6-7 rounds. I was cheering hardcore for Manny, but I definitely think Mayweather won the fight.

What'd you think?

I agree. I had Floyd winning 8 rounds to 4, with rounds 4 and 6 being completely dominated by Manny. The rest of the time, Floyd utilized solid defense and was landing his jab at will. Manny really couldn't catch him, landing only 19% of his punches. While Manny was certainly the aggressor, Floyd won rather easily, and I'm surprised how people think Manny won.

What'd you think?
It's hard for me to assess the quality of the fight. I haven't watched boxing in a while, and this fight was different from the ones I've seen in the past (this includes fights from the 70s and 80s that I watched on YouTube). It appears that Mayweather's objective was to win by avoiding as many punches as possible. Obviously, it's a more health-conscious strategy, but it's not gonna generate the same oohs and aaahs.

I was also cheering for Manny. I really wanted Mayweather to get knocked out. He's a horrible person... And I'm sure this sentiment was shared by many... Oh well.

Reactions: 1 users
It's hard for me to assess the quality of the fight. I haven't watched boxing in a while, and this fight was different from the ones I've seen in the past (this includes fights from the 70s and 80s that I watched on YouTube). It appears that Mayweather's objective was to win by avoiding as many punches as possible. Obviously, it's a more health-conscious strategy, but it's not gonna generate the same oohs and aaahs.

I was also cheering for Manny. I really wanted Mayweather to get knocked out. He's a horrible person... And I'm sure this sentiment was shared by many... Oh well.

Funny that you refer to Mayweathers defensive approach as "health-conscious." I was listening to Colin Cowherd (espn radio) yesterday and he compared the elite boxers of the past as more "bang bang" fighters who go in swinging to the elite today (ie mayweather) as more defensive and efficient. He said that it's more like that today since we've seen what's happened to the older boxers (Parkinson's, concussions, etc.) and that today boxers just wanna get hit as little as possible and make their money.

I think mayweather seems terrible too. That's why I was really rooting against him. Really didn't care about who won until I found out about his domestic violence convictions (which brings up a whole other discussion with regards to how ESPN aka stephen A Smith treated that mess).

Personally I don't like Mayweather, but this video is awesome and you can tell that he is really skilled

The soundtrack is also great and all I could think about was this video when it played in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Funny that you refer to Mayweathers defensive approach as "health-conscious." I was listening to Colin Cowherd (espn radio) yesterday and he compared the elite boxers of the past as more "bang bang" fighters who go in swinging to the elite today (ie mayweather) as more defensive and efficient. He said that it's more like that today since we've seen what's happened to the older boxers (Parkinson's, concussions, etc.) and that today boxers just wanna get hit as little as possible and make their money.

I think mayweather seems terrible too. That's why I was really rooting against him. Really didn't care about who won until I found out about his domestic violence convictions (which brings up a whole other discussion with regards to how ESPN aka stephen A Smith treated that mess).

The way Stephen A Smith treated that whole domestic violence conviction was very pathetic, though I do like Stephen A a lot in other areas. I must admit that some of my favorite parts of the day were tuning in to First Take and watching Stephen A and Skip argue about the fight. It has brought me so many laughs...

The way Stephen A Smith treated that whole domestic violence conviction was very pathetic, though I do like Stephen A a lot in other areas. I must admit that some of my favorite parts of the day were tuning in to First Take and watching Stephen A and Skip argue about the fight. It has brought me so many laughs...

I actually loved Stephen A before all of this too, despite a lot of the hate be gets. I especially loved him on First Take during the past 4 NBA finals since Skip is a LBJ hater (I LOVE Lebron James aka LBJ aka The King aka The Chosen One aka The L-Train aka The Akron Hammer aka Bron Bron).

This is kind of random, but it's been bugging me for a while. Does anyone know the origin/area of use of the phrase "make an A/B/etc" versus "get an A/B/etc?" I had barely ever heard the verb "make" used with regard to grades before, but I see it everywhere on SDN. I'm wondering if it's because I'm on the east coast, or if it's a British English thing or something entirely different. Anyone know?