Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is kind of random, but it's been bugging me for a while. Does anyone know the origin/area of use of the phrase "make an A/B/etc" versus "get an A/B/etc?" I had barely ever heard the verb "make" used with regard to grades before, but I see it everywhere on SDN. I'm wondering if it's because I'm on the east coast, or if it's a British English thing or something entirely different. Anyone know?
What do you say, "I achieved an A?"

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else in here growing a beard? How's that going?

What do you say, "I achieved an A?"
I've always said/heard "I got an A" or "I'm hoping to get an A." It's just "I made an A" that surprised me and sort of makes me cringe because my instinct is that it's grammatically incorrect, though logically (given the number of people I've seen use it now) I'm sure it's not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always said/heard "I got an A" or "I'm hoping to get an A." It's just "I made an A" that surprised me and sort of makes me cringe because my instinct is that it's grammatically incorrect, though logically (given the number of people I've seen use it now) I'm sure it's not.
Does this keep you up at night?

Yeah, I actually have a recurring nightmare where I'm just surrounded by people holding up exams, exclaiming what grade they made. Terrifying.
/s
I had a dream someone was operating on my brain while I was awake a few nights ago. I'm an accomplished lucid dreamer, but in this dream I had all the affects of lucidity minus the realization I was dreaming. Not a good time.

I had a dream someone was operating on my brain while I was awake a few nights ago. I'm an accomplished lucid dreamer, but in this dream I had all the affects of lucidity minus the realization I was dreaming. Not a good time.

I heard @mehc012 and @cactus8910 are actually world renowned neurosurgeons pretending to be feisty premeds. Maybe they have something to do with this :thinking:

I heard @mehc012 and @cactus8910 are actually world renowned neurosurgeons pretending to be feisty premeds. Maybe they have something to do with this :thinking:
No, I just have weird a** dreams. The kind of dreams when you wake up and feel so happy that your dream isn't a reality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! I'm done with finals and I passed all of my classes.:horns:

Yay! I'm done with finals and I passed all of my classes.:horns:
Woohoo!
I've got 2 final presentations left, but they're super easy. So easy, in fact, that I'm having difficulty motivating myself to make the damn things. :(

I'm a bit worried about the transcript timing, tho. Class doesn't end until the 18th, so if she takes a week or more to enter grades, and it takes 5-10 days to send in...I miss out on early verification. Considering submitting without these two easy-peasy lab grades, since they're only 1 credit each. It just makes me feel better to have my postbacc show a 4.0 in 10 courses rather than 8, even if the last 2 are low-credit.

Woohoo!
I've got 2 final presentations left, but they're super easy. So easy, in fact, that I'm having difficulty motivating myself to make the damn things. :(

I'm a bit worried about the transcript timing, tho. Class doesn't end until the 18th, so if she takes a week or more to enter grades, and it takes 5-10 days to send in...I miss out on early verification. Considering submitting without these two easy-peasy lab grades, since they're only 1 credit each. It just makes me feel better to have my postbacc show a 4.0 in 10 courses rather than 8, even if the last 2 are low-credit.
I feel you. I had to do two presentation in my class, one of them was about vaccines, my research paper rocked, but I got so nervous on my presentation. :wacky:

Our class finished last week and this week it was just finals. Are you applying this year?

I feel you. I had to do two presentation in my class, one of them was about vaccines, my research paper rocked, but I got so nervous on my presentation. :wacky:

Our class finished last week and this week it was just finals. Are you applying this year?
Yup. Getting antsy about my (not yet started) PS.
But LORs are in, transcript 1 is in the mail (the other one I'm not sure when to send it, as per my last post), all grades entered, etc.
I just need that danged PS!!

I'm not nervous about giving the presentations. I'm a good presenter, and I know my stuff. I'm just too lazy to make the damn .ppts since I dgaf about this class.

Yup. Getting antsy about my (not yet started) PS.
But LORs are in, transcript 1 is in the mail (the other one I'm not sure when to send it, as per my last post), all grades entered, etc.
I just need that danged PS!!

I'm not nervous about giving the presentations. I'm a good presenter, and I know my stuff. I'm just too lazy to make the damn .ppts since I dgaf about this class.
Start off your PS with, "In all started in a stormy night." :rofl:

And I'm pretty sure you will get in somewhere good.

SDN be dying rn. Where has everyone been? I see you @The Buff OP

I just signed up for fall classes, and it felt too easy. Somehow my classes collided like two 21 year old honeymooners and created a perfect schedule.

-Not sure if calm before the storm or maybe this fall will b my year.

Stay tuned ladies and gents.

I just signed up for fall classes, and it felt too easy. Somehow my classes collided like two 21 year old honeymooners and created a perfect schedule.

I was kind of AWOL for a bit because I was busy with school for like 2 weeks straight. I'm here now, fam!

I haven't signed up for fall yet, I'm seeing what should I take.

I was kind of AWOL for a bit because I was busy with school for like 2 weeks straight. I'm here now, fam!

I haven't signed up for fall yet, I'm seeing what should I take.
Dude I'm still early in the game I'm taking chem I, Pre calc II, PSC, and PHIL. After this semester, I'll be done with all my non science/math courses though, so I'll be moving forward into the abyss.

Dude I'm still early in the game I'm taking chem I, Pre calc II, PSC, and PHIL. After this semester, I'll be done with all my non science/math courses though, so I'll be moving forward into the abyss.
Don't worry, I am on the same boat. I'm starting all over to make up for my procrastinator pass. What's is your major?

I love it when that happens! Picking courses at my school was a nightmare...the downside of a small college is that each course is only offered at one time. Got 2 overlapping, or 2 labs that meet on the same day? Tough luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I love it when that happens! Picking courses at my school was a nightmare...the downside of a small college is that each course is only offered at one time. Got 2 overlapping, or 2 labs that meet on the same day? Tough luck!
I definitely got lucky. The choices were clear this semester and for once I was able to enroll w/o some dumb complication like meeting w/a counselor or unsatisfied pre req due to summer classes. The list goes on!

So, my bad news of the day: Portal won't let you remap the Look up/Look down keys.
This just in: the mouse is the worst controller ever designed for video games, and forcing you to use that thitty, thitty, horrible device is both lazy and cruel.

So, my bad news of the day: Portal won't let you remap the Look up/Look down keys.
This just in: the mouse is the worst controller ever designed for video games, and forcing you to use that thitty, thitty, horrible device is both lazy and cruel.
You should be able to reset your controls another way. I'm guessing the look up and down is inverted?

As a freshman, I am forced to sign up for my classes three days before they start, and my electives one day before it starts. ugh.

Same…critical decisions are basically made by how the commissioner is feeling that day. Eat a bad burrito and poor judgment will follow...
Nah, it's largely based on public whining, which I guess is normal for an entertainment industry.
Look at the receiver switching...it was perfectly legal, and good strategy. Everyone whined like a baby afterwards, so instead of saying "suck it up and learn to counter legal tactics by opposing teams" they folded and changed the rules so that nobody had to *gasp* think. :rolleyes:

I'm just impressed/little bit depressed I haven't seen any good "ball" jokes in the media.

Nah, it's largely based on public whining, which I guess is normal for an entertainment industry.
Look at the receiver switching...it was perfectly legal, and good strategy. Everyone whined like a baby afterwards, so instead of saying "suck it up and learn to counter legal tactics by opposing teams" they folded and changed the rules so that nobody had to *gasp* think. :rolleyes:

Well, the receiver switching tactic was being abused, and I have no problem at all with the ruling on that one. It required more than just thinking to counter the opposition's tactics. The commissioner is way over-powered and his decisions truly depend on his mood for the day. Ray Rice, for instance, is eligible to sign with any NFL team, even after beating up his girl-friend. With such little evidence and lack of substantiation for this whole "deflate gate" scenario with Brady and the Patriots, it demonstrates the whimsical nature of the commissioner. Poor form, Goodell, poor form!

Well, the receiver switching tactic was being abused, and I have no problem at all with the ruling on that one. It required more than just thinking to counter the opposition's tactics. The commissioner is way over-powered and his decisions truly depend on his mood for the day. Ray Rice, for instance, is eligible to sign with any NFL team, even after beating up his girl-friend. With such little evidence and lack of substantiation for this whole "deflate gate" scenario with Brady and the Patriots, it demonstrates the whimsical nature of the commissioner. Poor form, Goodell, poor form!
Abused? No, it was being used intelligently. The only thing it required more than 'thinking' was 'listening'. The changes were announced very clearly, it's just that no one responded to the announcements by changing their marks. Just because the other teams are used to playing checkers doesn't mean we should make chess illegal.

Why? Brady's suspension will most likely get reduced. Also, I don't think any reasonable person is disputing the legitimacy of the Pats' playoff run.
I'm angry that they put forth something so ridiculous in the first place, especially given the two statements you made (which I agree with).
The fact that they'll likely reduce it just highlights how insanely arbitrary it is to begin with. The fact that the Pats legitimately kicked butt this year, aside from this whole issue (combined with the shoddy report, the lack of testing of the Colts' balls despite that 3/4 of those that were tested were similarly underinflated, and the multiple comments by other QBs that say this is SOP for most clubs) makes it clear how meaningless this whole 'scandal' was...which makes the huge penalty even more ridiculous.

It's just childish posturing and whining all around, and it's irritating.
Plus, the fact that they changed the receiver rules because of similar whining, even though that was perfectly legitimate, just irks me. How about people learn how to beat the Pats, rather than complaining about everything and hunting for excuses about why they win?

/rant

A Troll Question for @mehc012

What do you prefer more: a troll trolling a troll hunter or a troll hunter trolling a troll?
Troll trolling a troll hunter. Troll hunters deserve whatever they get. They ruin threads.
Trolls can be useful. If a troll hunter started trolling, it would be the first step towards them becoming something neutral (troll) rather than something universally terrible (troll hunter).

Troll trolling a troll hunter. Troll hunters deserve whatever they get. They ruin threads.
Trolls can be useful. If a troll hunter started trolling, it would be the first step towards them becoming something neutral (troll) rather than something universally terrible (troll hunter).

In that case, I'll start hunting for troll hunters.

One of my favorite @mehc012 quotes:
I loathe and despise troll-hunting, as I find it the lowest form of self-congratulatory prickishness. I would rather a forum with 50% trolls than one with even 10% troll-hunters (those who post things like 'way to fall for the troll' and 'do not feed the troll').

I'm angry that they put forth something so ridiculous in the first place, especially given the two statements you made (which I agree with).
The fact that they'll likely reduce it just highlights how insanely arbitrary it is to begin with. The fact that the Pats legitimately kicked butt this year, aside from this whole issue (combined with the shoddy report, the lack of testing of the Colts' balls despite that 3/4 of those that were tested were similarly underinflated, and the multiple comments by other QBs that say this is SOP for most clubs) makes it clear how meaningless this whole 'scandal' was...which makes the huge penalty even more ridiculous.

It's just childish posturing and whining all around, and it's irritating.
Plus, the fact that they changed the receiver rules because of similar whining, even though that was perfectly legitimate, just irks me. How about people learn how to beat the Pats, rather than complaining about everything and hunting for excuses about why they win?

/rant
I understand your frustration but Roger Goodell has to act like he cares. He really doesn't have a choice. Look I'm a huge baseball fan and baseball players do all kinds of stuff to tamper with the balls, bats, and their bodies. I'm aware that these shenanigans are part of the pro sports' genetic code. That's why I get annoyed at the sanctimony.

IMO, this won't tarnish the Pats. And you're hearing this from a bonafide Pats-hater :laugh:

Edit: I don't know much about the receiver rules, but I don't think these changes will impact your team's future. The Pats always find a way to win.

Edit part 2: To clarify, I don't condone practices like steroid use, corked bats, etc., but the fans and media tend to target a select few when speaking out on these issues.

Last edited:
Abused? No, it was being used intelligently. The only thing it required more than 'thinking' was 'listening'. The changes were announced very clearly, it's just that no one responded to the announcements by changing their marks. Just because the other teams are used to playing checkers doesn't mean we should make chess illegal.

Eh to each his own. I don't really agree with the logic behind that, but the excessive rule changing in the NFL is indeed ridiculous. I feel like the rules have gotten so entirely convoluted that even the referees now have different interpretations over simple calls, such as, if a ball has truly been caught. Most referees think Bryant's catch was incomplete, yet some notable ones call it a completion, and was thusly incorrectly called during the Packers game.

One of my favorite @mehc012 quotes:
I loathe and despise troll-hunting, as I find it the lowest form of self-congratulatory prickishness. I would rather a forum with 50% trolls than one with even 10% troll-hunters (those who post things like 'way to fall for the troll' and 'do not feed the troll').

I understand your frustration but Roger Goodell has to act like he cares. He really doesn't have a choice. Look I'm a huge baseball fan and baseball players do all kinds of stuff to tamper with the balls, bats, and their bodies. I'm aware that these shenanigans are part of the pro sports' genetic code. That's why I get annoyed at the sanctimony.

IMO, this won't tarnish the Pats. And you're hearing this from a bonafide Pats-hater :laugh:

Edit: I don't know much about the receiver rules, but I don't think these changes will impact your team's future. The Pats always find a way to win.

Edit part 2: To clarify, I don't condone practices like steroid use, corked bats, etc., but the fans and media tend to target a select few when speaking out on these issues.
Corked bats are my favorite cheating scandal ever, because people risked so much and put so much effort into obtaining them...and they actually make your hits less powerful!! :roflcopter::smack::laugh:

Eh to each his own. I don't really agree with the logic behind that, but the excessive rule changing in the NFL is indeed ridiculous. I feel like the rules have gotten so entirely convoluted that even the referees now have different interpretations over simple calls, such as, if a ball has truly been caught. Most referees think Bryant's catch was incomplete, yet some notable ones call it a completion, and was thusly incorrectly called during the Packers game.
I think it's wimpy that they have eligible vs ineligible receivers to begin with. Grow up and play real defense, like any other sport.
Then again, I think football is ridiculous as a whole. I'm not really a football fan so much as a Patriots fan...I don't watch almost any games but Pats games. :shrug:

11229555_968492799857718_8307066065683468428_n.jpg