*Official September 10, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT on September 10th, who else?

Lets form an awesome support system!

If this has already been created (I searched for a few minutes) someone let me know and I will delete it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Taking this test date as well!

Kaplan Diagnostic test I took in June was 499 (123/125/125/126). Few weeks of content review and went up to a 504 (126/127/125/126) on FL 4.
I've taken a bunch of NS exams out of order every week since then as well, filled with weekly content review, and I've scored the following:
NS 10: 506
NS 9: 503
NS 1: 509
NS 2: 507
NS 3: 505
NS 4: 506

I'm getting such mixed results, because I thought Kaplan was supposed to be harder yet I'm scored around my NS scores. Plus, I basically keep fluctuating between 126-128 for each section and cannot improve on any for the life of me. Do you guys think I can score a 510+ on the real test?

510 seems reasonable. Keep grinding and take the AAMC practice tests soon!

It is getting so close! I don't know about you guys, but I am getting nervous!

I keep getting bogged down by careless errors!!! I took TBR FL 1, FL 2, FL 3, EK FL 1, FL 2, and FL 3 and I keep on making careless errors! I heard for EK, that a 60%+ is a good score, and I got a 57% on my most recent one...but once I accounted for careless errors, I was at a 63% o_O

I want to score at LEAST a 508!

Have you guys taken the AAMC FL scored and unscored? I plan on taking them next. ]

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Kaplan Diagnostic test I took in June was 499 (123/125/125/126). Few weeks of content review and went up to a 504 (126/127/125/126) on FL 4.
I've taken a bunch of NS exams out of order every week since then as well, filled with weekly content review, and I've scored the following:
NS 10: 506
NS 9: 503
NS 1: 509
NS 2: 507
NS 3: 505
NS 4: 506

I'm getting such mixed results, because I thought Kaplan was supposed to be harder yet I'm scored around my NS scores. Plus, I basically keep fluctuating between 126-128 for each section and cannot improve on any for the life of me. Do you guys think I can score a 510+ on the real test?

From what I have been reading all over SDN and reddit, Kaplan scores range from ~499-505 and those people usually score well. Just an observation.

I'm joining you guys! My scores are averaging about 507 or 508. Running out of time on CARS is my biggest problem (as well as C/P sometimes, but not nearly as bad as CARS). I'm working on CARS alot for the next two weeks, in addition to focusing on the section bank, Anki, reviewing the FL's I've taken, and taking 2 or 3 more practice tests.

Plus, I basically keep fluctuating between 126-128 for each section and cannot improve on any for the life of me. Do you guys think I can score a 510+ on the real test?

I'm in the same exact boat. I got 130 and 129 on B/B and Psych/Soc on the AAMC scored, but almost every other section of all 9 tests I've taken has been 126-128.

has anybody taken ek #4?
I just took the c/p section and got a 68% after getting 54% on EK 1 on the same section about 2 weeks ago.Is EK 4 easier?

I heard 68% is a great score for EK science sections. Has anybody taken EK fls??

I've taken EK1 and EK2. EK1 I took before I started prep, and did terribly. EK2 I took about 3 weeks ago, and I got a 71% overall (68% C/P and 73% B/B). I'm going to be taking EK3 and 4 next week. I've also taken NextStep 1-5, and I seem to be scoring about the same with EK vs. NextStep.

has anybody taken ek #4?
I just took the c/p section and got a 68% after getting 54% on EK 1 on the same section about 2 weeks ago.Is EK 4 easier?

I heard 68% is a great score for EK science sections. Has anybody taken EK fls??

How do you guys score so high on EK? :(
I make so many stupid mistakes that my overall goes down from 63% to 57% :(
I heard 60%+ on EK is usually good

I've taken EK1 and EK2. EK1 I took before I started prep, and did terribly. EK2 I took about 3 weeks ago, and I got a 71% overall (68% C/P and 73% B/B). I'm going to be taking EK3 and 4 next week. I've also taken NextStep 1-5, and I seem to be scoring about the same with EK vs. NextStep.

How do you guys score so high on EK? :(
I make so many stupid mistakes that my overall goes down from 63% to 57% :(
I heard 60%+ on EK is usually good

has anybody taken ek #4?

Took EK4 a few weeks ago.... CP (66%), CARS (51%) :(, BS (70%), Psych (60%).... Overall I think 61%. CARS man. Not quite sure what that translates to.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ EK full-length CARS is bad. Focus on the AAMC CARS (q-packs and tests).

Is EK FL CARS bad because the passages are too interesting or are the questions too hard? What is it about the EK CARS that is bad? I mean I'm not saying I like them because I keep getting about 57% in them.

Is EK FL CARS bad because the passages are too interesting or are the questions too hard? What is it about the EK CARS that is bad? I mean I'm not saying I like them because I keep getting about 57% in them.

The passages are good, but the questions don't stick to the details of the passage very well. Inference is okay, but there's a lot of stretch-your-mind / no support inference going on in a lot of the questions.

The passages are good, but the questions don't stick to the details of the passage very well. Inference is okay, but there's a lot of stretch-your-mind / no support inference going on in a lot of the questions.

That actually sounds relieving, because I am having trouble with a lot of those types of questions...I took AAMC CARS Pack 1 which I thought was difficult, but that was before I had a lot of CARS practice. I hope CARS pack 2 is good.

That actually sounds relieving, because I am having trouble with a lot of those types of questions...I took AAMC CARS Pack 1 which I thought was difficult, but that was before I had a lot of CARS practice. I hope CARS pack 2 is good.

I think you'll find q-pack 2 more reasonable than q-pack 1.

has anybody taken ek #4?

Just as a side note, I took the MCAT yesterday and I honestly really felt my C/P section resembled EK #4 C/P section since it has a lot of calculations and all.

Just as a side note, I took the MCAT yesterday and I honestly really felt my C/P section resembled EK #4 C/P section since it has a lot of calculations and all.

Do you think EK 3 is any good? And did you take any of the NextStep tests? Trying to decide if I should focus on taking more tests or reviewing the ones I've already taken

Do you think EK 3 is any good? And did you take any of the NextStep tests? Trying to decide if I should focus on taking more tests or reviewing the ones I've already taken

I also want to know if EK 3 is good! A few people told me it's good, but others have been telling me it is way harder than the MCAT, and not worth it...mixed reviews. I just want to get more confirmation to see if it's useful!

Going to look at my mistakes tomorrow and study until saturday and take the AAMC scored. Are you taking the scored or unscored?

Going with the unscored.

If I don't hit my goals I will likely cancel my September test date until January 2017.
If I hit my goal I will proceed with the scored.

Trying to take this thing only once.

Going with the unscored.

If I don't hit my goals I will likely cancel my September test date until January 2017.
If I hit my goal I will proceed with the scored.

Trying to take this thing only once.

What's your goal? Just curious
I believe are practice exam scores have been very similar lol

Chill, because I got wrecked on EK 4 CARS (overall as well) 63% in total D: and like 54% in CARS. And CARS Q-pack 1 wrecked me. like 66% average on that. For some reason Bio Q-pack 1 also did the same, ~68%. I was so bumped from these scores about scoring like 79% on the unscored (75%/85%/83%/75%). Im taking the scored this monday so I guess we're all in this together.

Chill, because I got wrecked on EK 4 CARS (overall as well) 63% in total D: and like 54% in CARS. And CARS Q-pack 1 wrecked me. like 66% average on that. For some reason Bio Q-pack 1 also did the same, ~68%. I was so bumped from these scores about scoring like 79% on the unscored (75%/85%/83%/75%). Im taking the scored this monday so I guess we're all in this together.

Best of luck!

I want to take the scored the week of my exam (prolly Sep 4/5). Taking NS 5 this Sunday, and the unscored on Tuesday.

Good luck!! I can't wait for this to be over. We are almost there!

Yes. I honestly thought NS was not close to the real MCAT. I took NS 1-7 and EK 1,3,4. if you are taking the MCAT in 2 weeks or less, just do content review and AAMC scored. Yes I agree with everyone who says that practice makes perfect blah blah but honestly YOU HAVE TO KNOW,UNDERSTAND every concept inside out!!! You can never be prepared for the MCAT if you dont know your content well. A lot of people make a big mistake by keep practicing until the week of your exam and they dont go over some topics that they didnot review for 3 months. Content comes first. I have a notebook for every subject according to the AAMC content list. And i reviewed every topic and took the AAMC scored. Think about it this way, the AAMC goes over every single MCAT FL compnies put out there so its likely that they wont bring anything similar. For example, I did so many FLs and none of them had a question or a passage about internal energy and E=Q+W or about photoelectric effect, FRET. Like these little topics students never review. You got the point!!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. I honestly thought NS was not close to the real MCAT. I took NS 1-7 and EK 1,3,4. if you are taking the MCAT in 2 weeks or less, just do content review and AAMC scored. Yes I agree with everyone who says that practice makes perfect blah blah but honestly YOU HAVE TO KNOW,UNDERSTAND every concept inside out!!! You can never be prepared for the MCAT if you dont know your content well. A lot of people make a big mistake by keep practicing until the week of your exam and they dont go over some topics that they didnot review for 3 months. Content comes first. I have a notebook for every subject according to the AAMC content list. And i reviewed every topic and took the AAMC scored. Think about it this way, the AAMC goes over every single MCAT FL compnies put out there so its likely that they wont bring anything similar. For example, I did so many FLs and none of them had a question or a passage about internal energy and E=Q+W or about photoelectric effect, FRET. Like these little topics students never review. You got the point!!

I agree with you and I study in a similar way in that I take very detailed notes of my content review that I can consistently and quickly keep going over, especially when coming close to the exam. The downside for me though is that because of how much time I spend on content and note-taking..I never end up taking as many full lengths as most people (7+ full lengths). I've taken 4 and hope to take 4 more between now and the sept 10th exam, including the AAMC scored (Ive taken the unscored already).

Did you do well on your AAMC scored?

If anyone is deciding to cancel their sept 9th or 10th exam in Florida please private message me before you do :)

PURE As Gold. Purines are Adenine and Guanine. G comes after A so G has a greater molecular weight. Hopefully it helps. Same for CUT the Pye

Oh yeah. I use that mnemonic too.

For thymine, I just remember that a meTHYl group is attached there
uracil-thymine.png

I've heard from people that the Kaplan tests aren't as difficult as they used to be, and I would agree because I score around 501-505 on their exams and then got a 504 on the AAMC scored. Or maybe I'm just stupid lol who knows.

Does anyone have a definitive list of all the equations force can be equated to? Ex. F=m*a=W/d
Or physics concepts in general that are very similar to each other? Since a lot of physics equations are basically saying the same thing but applying them to different phases of matter/situations

I've heard from people that the Kaplan tests aren't as difficult as they used to be, and I would agree because I score around 501-505 on their exams and then got a 504 on the AAMC scored. Or maybe I'm just stupid lol who knows.

Does anyone have a definitive list of all the equations force can be equated to? Ex. F=m*a=W/d
Or physics concepts in general that are very similar to each other? Since a lot of physics equations are basically saying the same thing but applying them to different phases of matter/situations

Gravitational force equal to centripetal force
tension equal to centripetal force
Coulombic force equal to centripetal force

Can't think of anymore

Taking it this Thursday! Lets hope that studying every day for 4 months pays off...

Reactions: 3 users
Just bringing my 2 cents to the convo. First, I can't stress enough what someone said on page 3 about reviewing the topics. I've been reviewing some of these topics even three or four times. If I get a question wrong, I go back to the topic and analyze what went wrong. Did I fail to make a connection between the passage and my knowledge? Did I see the hidden info in the passage? Did I screw up my units? Slowly but steadily, this line of thought has been helping me a lot! Now, the scores. I've taken 4 NextStep exams and my average fluctuates between 504 and 505. Not gonna lie, they are freaking hard and make their passages extremely long to get you exhausted. Took an EK and got 65% overall. I think the EK was weird and not worth the money. English is not my first language, so the verbal gives me an immense amount of trouble. I took the AAMC official scored yesterday. Overall score was 504 (Physical Sciences 127, Verbal 124, Biology 127, and Pshyc/Socl 126). Two more weeks left on the calendar, so the only thing I can do is to focus on improving those sections in which I can get two or three more points, i.e., anything but verbal, lol. If anyone wants to review some topics and discuss strategies, I'm more than available to Skype it up. Talking about the topics truly helps to solidify memory.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, just wondering what books and practice tests did you find most helpful for the various sections?

Hey all, just wondering what books and practice tests did you find most helpful for the various sections?
I will suggest using all of the official aamc material. For prep companies, I will recommend NextStep for Bio and Physical Sciences. The Psyc still a bit blurry in my opinion. I think nextstep does a great job in terms of knowing the info, but do not pair up when it comes to applying what you know to the passage or question stem. I think trying out different companies for the psyc section is your best bet, so you become familiar with different styles.

Just bringing my 2 cents to the convo. First, I can't stress enough what someone said on page 3 about reviewing the topics. I've been reviewing some of these topics even three or four times. If I get a question wrong, I go back to the topic and analyze what went wrong. Did I fail to make a connection between the passage and my knowledge? Did I see the hidden info in the passage? Did I screw up my units? Slowly but steadily, this line of thought has been helping me a lot! Now, the scores. I've taken 4 NextStep exams and my average fluctuates between 504 and 505. Not gonna lie, they are freaking hard and make their passages extremely long to get you exhausted. Took an EK and got 65% overall. I think the EK was weird and not worth the money. English is not my first language, so the verbal gives me an immense amount of trouble. I took the AAMC official scored yesterday. Overall score was 504 (Physical Sciences 127, Verbal 124, Biology 127, and Pshyc/Socl 126). Two more weeks left on the calendar, so the only thing I can do is to focus on improving those sections in which I can get two or three more points, i.e., anything but verbal, lol. If anyone wants to review some topics and discuss strategies, I'm more than available to Skype it up. Talking about the topics truly helps to solidify memory.
How you feel about verbal is how I feel about Physicsl Science. Lol