Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
should i retake?

so i basically studied for my mcats in three weeks (harhar, worst three weeks of my life)

pulled a 32.

9/11/12.

retake? i'm pretty sure i can get that physics score up, and i'm (well, i was) consistent with my verbal + bio scores. i was scoring around 10-12 for physics on my practice tests... sigh.

Hello,
I don't know if I should retake
VR 9 PS 11 Bio 9 O
3.54 GPA
Upward grade trend (Straight As last year)

I really want to get into a MD school!
HELP

Hello SDNers,

I could really use some advice. I graduated June 2011. My cum GPA 3.85, science 3.9. Great ECs (e.g. VP of two organizations, volunteering, research, etc.). I've worked at my current research position for 2 years ( 1 yr during senior yr, and now doing a 2nd year after graduating). I have a 2nd author publication from my research.

This is my third time sitting for the MCAT and I'm not sure if I should retake. How do med schools look at a 4th MCAT? Will I get in to ANY school if I apply right now (to state schools)?

1st time (09/12/2009): 25Q (10 PS / 6 VR / 9 BS)
1st time (07/16/2010): 25N (7 PS / 9 VR / 9 BS)
3rd time (09/08/2011): 29R (8 PS / 12 VR / 9 BS)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDNers,

I just received my mcat scores and as it says above, I got 13BS 12PS and a horrible 8 on VR... Do you guys think I should retake it? Considering that I believe I should get at least a 10 on VR, but there is the possibility that my other 2 subscores might drop... Any input is very appreciated.

Thank you everyone =]

Hi guys, got my score back today:
PS9 V8 BS13 O; 30O total

This is combined with about a 3.75 GPA, 3.85 SGPA.
I've got above average research (two presentations and publictations), plenty of clinical exposure and volunteering. Also, leadership and shadowing. I haven't slacked on extracurriculars though my letters probably won't be very special.

I'm applying in-state to UT Galv, San Antonio, Houston, and Southwestern exclusively.

My PS score matches my lowest performance in practice tests (9-13)
My verbal score is lower than any of my practice exams (9-11)
My BS score is top of the pops (10-14)

I ran out of time on PS, guessed on about 10 questions due to poor time management (hadn't ran out of time previously).
I don't know what happened with verbal; I thought I killed it.

If I retake, I'll definitely work my butt off. I see myself pulling a PS12 VR9-10 and BS 12 for around 33-34. I'll be doing graduate coursework so it won't be a tragedy if I sit on my current score and see what happens.

So, my dearest STDers, should I apply with my current score and see what happens then retake for a second cycle or should I retake prior to my first application and make a pact with the devil to ensure a much improved score? I certainly dislike the idea of spending the extra time and money (I'd probably wouldn't even consider it had I just made a 9 in VR). But then again, I somewhat enjoyed working through the material for the first attempt. Thank you for any advice!

Hello SDNers,

I just received my mcat scores and as it says above, I got 13BS 12PS and a horrible 8 on VR... Do you guys think I should retake it? Considering that I believe I should get at least a 10 on VR, but there is the possibility that my other 2 subscores might drop... Any input is very appreciated.

Thank you everyone =]

I think you already have a good score. What were you averaging on practice tests for verbal?

Hi guys, got my score back today:
PS9 V8 BS13 O; 30O total

This is combined with about a 3.75 GPA, 3.85 SGPA.
I've got above average research (two presentations and publictations), plenty of clinical exposure and volunteering. Also, leadership and shadowing. I haven't slacked on extracurriculars though my letters probably won't be very special.

I'm applying in-state to UT Galv, San Antonio, Houston, and Southwestern exclusively.

My PS score matches my lowest performance in practice tests (9-13)
My verbal score is lower than any of my practice exams (9-11)
My BS score is top of the pops (10-14)

I ran out of time on PS, guessed on about 10 questions due to poor time management (hadn't ran out of time previously).
I don't know what happened with verbal; I thought I killed it.

If I retake, I'll definitely work my butt off. I see myself pulling a PS12 VR9-10 and BS 12 for around 33-34. I'll be doing graduate coursework so it won't be a tragedy if I sit on my current score and see what happens.

So, my dearest STDers, should I apply with my current score and see what happens then retake for a second cycle or should I retake prior to my first application and make a pact with the devil to ensure a much improved score? I certainly dislike the idea of spending the extra time and money (I'd probably wouldn't even consider it had I just made a 9 in VR). But then again, I somewhat enjoyed working through the material for the first attempt. Thank you for any advice!

Did apply this cycle already or are you applying next cycle? What were your test averages from the practice FLs? If you really think you can pull off a 34 and get a more balanced score then sure.

I think you already have a good score. What were you averaging on practice tests for verbal?

I was averaging around 10-11. But that 13 on BS is quite high, I am not sure that I can replicate that again. The way I see it is that I could get a 10 in VR, but my other 2 subscores might drop down by 1 point each, giving me the same score of 33 but with a more balanced constitution (10,12,11) Maybe that looks better I'm not sure =/

I was averaging around 10-11. But that 13 on BS is quite high, I am not sure that I can replicate that again. The way I see it is that I could get a 10 in VR, but my other 2 subscores might drop down by 1 point each, giving me the same score of 33 but with a more balanced constitution (10,12,11) Maybe that looks better I'm not sure =/

I'm not sure it's worth the risk. You could get a really difficult test and your score could go down. If all you want to do is gain a balanced score, I would recommend not retaking. If you were averaging 37s, but got a 33, then you could retake it. You should be fine as is.

So, my dearest STDers, should I apply with my current score and see what happens then retake for a second cycle or should I retake prior to my first application and make a pact with the devil to ensure a much improved score?!

i lol'ed

jokes aside I think u can study and do much better if you have the will power to put the efforts in

Should I retake??

30O (10PS 10VR 10BS O essay)
-not the greatest score, but pretty gosh darn consistent
3.5 GPA (biomedical engineering)

lots of extracurriculars, leadership, clinical experience, shadowing, research etc.

want to apply (in-state) to Texas medical schools

hi guys, i would like some advice on if i should retake as well:

30Q (10/10/10)
GPA: 3.87 (Neuroscience major)

I go to UCLA and I'll be taking a year off to apply.
my scores are even which is good but it seems like a 30 for someone with a 3.8+ gpa is a little low, right? i took all the available MCAT practice tests and i had a 30 average, with a 32 highest and virtually no improvement in my score for the 2 months i studied... =(

i feel like if i retake, i'll only be able to do 2-3 points better at best. and i'm scared my verbal will go below a 10 (my average verbal was 9 to 10ish). and if i stay the same would it only reiterate that i won't be a good test taker for the USMLE?

so should i retake? would it look weird that my mcat is only average? and how does my average-low mcat factor in when i choose which schools to apply to? should i try for some top 20 schls or would my MCAT be too low, despite my strong gpa?

thank youu for any input!! i've been so worried about this....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys, i would like some advice on if i should retake as well:

30Q (10/10/10)
GPA: 3.87 (Neuroscience major)

I go to UCLA and I'll be taking a year off to apply.
my scores are even which is good but it seems like a 30 for someone with a 3.8+ gpa is a little low, right? i took all the available MCAT practice tests and i had a 30 average, with a 32 highest and virtually no improvement in my score for the 2 months i studied... =(

i feel like if i retake, i'll only be able to do 2-3 points better at best. and i'm scared my verbal will go below a 10 (my average verbal was 9 to 10ish). and if i stay the same would it only reiterate that i won't be a good test taker for the USMLE?

so should i retake? would it look weird that my mcat is only average? and how does my average-low mcat factor in when i choose which schools to apply to? should i try for some top 20 schls or would my MCAT be too low, despite my strong gpa?

thank youu for any input!! i've been so worried about this....

What were you doing while studying that kept you at the same score for 2 months? Usually you will see at least some improvement throughout unless you're not reviewing everything thoroughly. I don't think retaking would be the best idea because you got your average. If you got lower it could be a reason to retake or if you didn't put in all your effort. Try to improve other parts of your application instead.

What were you doing while studying that kept you at the same score for 2 months? Usually you will see at least some improvement throughout unless you're not reviewing everything thoroughly. I don't think retaking would be the best idea because you got your average. If you got lower it could be a reason to retake or if you didn't put in all your effort. Try to improve other parts of your application instead.

mm i took a summer biochem course for the first month too, so i maybe studied 5-6 hrs/day during the first month. oh i was also taking tbr classes. after that ended i had 3 weeks left before my mcat, so then i studied ~10 hours/day everyday.... i went over all the chem/physics material books, half of the ochem books (i was doing pretty well since i just finished ochem last quarter), and i went over all of the ek bio book (i didn't like tbr bio books). i did like most of the review/practice packets we got during tbr class too and i was getting ~75-80% right on them... and i took 8 official mcat tests, but my score was always hovering mostly around 29-31..... maybe my study methods are just not good? or maybe i'm just not very bright haha...

oh however, during my actual mcat, i was only able to sleep for 2 hours the night before because i was so nervous (i was able to fall into a light sleep around 9:30 am and woke up at 11ish for my 1pm test.....)

but thanks for ur advice! i guess i should just not retake it and use the time to like volunteer/shadow?

I took the MCAT 9/2 and got a 26P:

VR- 11
PS- 7
BS- 8

I live in California and would like to go to med school here as well. However, I know a 26 is well below what I need. Everyone says that VR is the hardest section to improve however I've found it to be the easiest. Any advice on how I can improve my PS & BS scores significantly?

Ugh. Hoped I would never have to post one of these threads, but here we go.

I scored a 28 on my mcat in May. 10, 9, 9. I had been scoring 12-13 in verbal on aamc practice tests, so I was extremely disappointed that this is ultimately what kept me from getting my 30+.

Anyway - I was so discouraged and upset that I did not apply with my 28 to any schools, thinking I would retake the test. However, I'm now wondering if I should have just applied with the 28 (or still could.) I graduated summa cum laude in May with a 3.9. I have hundreds of hours of shadowing with a primary care doc, and volunteering at a free clinic. I will be applying to (among others) KU Med, as a Kansas resident, to the Early Decision Program.

Are my chances good enough with existing score - or should I start studying again to retake?

Thanks.

mm i took a summer biochem course for the first month too, so i maybe studied 5-6 hrs/day during the first month. oh i was also taking tbr classes. after that ended i had 3 weeks left before my mcat, so then i studied ~10 hours/day everyday.... i went over all the chem/physics material books, half of the ochem books (i was doing pretty well since i just finished ochem last quarter), and i went over all of the ek bio book (i didn't like tbr bio books). i did like most of the review/practice packets we got during tbr class too and i was getting ~75-80% right on them... and i took 8 official mcat tests, but my score was always hovering mostly around 29-31..... maybe my study methods are just not good? or maybe i'm just not very bright haha...

oh however, during my actual mcat, i was only able to sleep for 2 hours the night before because i was so nervous (i was able to fall into a light sleep around 9:30 am and woke up at 11ish for my 1pm test.....)

but thanks for ur advice! i guess i should just not retake it and use the time to like volunteer/shadow?

I think it would be better for you to concentrate on other ways to boost your app since it seems like you did all you could. Is there anything you can think of that you would do differently?

Ugh. Hoped I would never have to post one of these threads, but here we go.

I scored a 28 on my mcat in May. 10, 9, 9. I had been scoring 12-13 in verbal on aamc practice tests, so I was extremely disappointed that this is ultimately what kept me from getting my 30+.

Anyway - I was so discouraged and upset that I did not apply with my 28 to any schools, thinking I would retake the test. However, I'm now wondering if I should have just applied with the 28 (or still could.) I graduated summa cum laude in May with a 3.9. I have hundreds of hours of shadowing with a primary care doc, and volunteering at a free clinic. I will be applying to (among others) KU Med, as a Kansas resident, to the Early Decision Program.

Are my chances good enough with existing score - or should I start studying again to retake?

Thanks.

It might be a little late now, but I think you could have definitely applied to KU Med. The median score is a 30 so you definitely would have a shot with your GPA and good ECs.

I think it would be better for you to concentrate on other ways to boost your app since it seems like you did all you could. Is there anything you can think of that you would do differently?

i guess go over my wrong answers more in depth? and i didn't do step 3 of tbr stuff so that's alot of practice probs i coulda done too...

actually yea i think i'll just apply the next cycle, and if i don't get any acceptances i will study for the mcat for a couple months to make sure i can score ~35 & apply again.... haha hopefully i will get accepted somewhere tho x.x

thanks for ur input!! i am more at ease about this now i guess... time to work on rounding out my app!

It might be a little late now, but I think you could have definitely applied to KU Med. The median score is a 30 so you definitely would have a shot with your GPA and good ECs.

I completely regret not applying this cycle. I guess my predicament now, though, is whether or not during the time between now and next cycle, should I study to retake? Do you think it will show a lack of perseverance if I don't try to improve my score? I am leaning towards just keeping my score and trying to make myself stand out by improving my EC's in the mean time.

i guess go over my wrong answers more in depth? and i didn't do step 3 of tbr stuff so that's alot of practice probs i coulda done too...

actually yea i think i'll just apply the next cycle, and if i don't get any acceptances i will study for the mcat for a couple months to make sure i can score ~35 & apply again.... haha hopefully i will get accepted somewhere tho x.x

thanks for ur input!! i am more at ease about this now i guess... time to work on rounding out my app!

Good luck! Hope everything works out! :luck:

I completely regret not applying this cycle. I guess my predicament now, though, is whether or not during the time between now and next cycle, should I study to retake? Do you think it will show a lack of perseverance if I don't try to improve my score? I am leaning towards just keeping my score and trying to make myself stand out by improving my EC's in the mean time.

I'd say make your priority to get a lot of solid ECs. If you really feel like you have enough, you could definitely try to study again, but this time going more in depth and making sure your practice scores are 3+ points higher than your current score.

31Q (12 12 7VR)
I overshot my average, and was not scoring good on VR to begin with. When I go to apply, I'll have a 3.9 GPA, with a 3.88 BCPM(most likely). I have good EC's and a LOT of waiting/serving under belt (1500-2000 hours by the time I apply). I'm aiming for a school that the the 10th percentile is an 8 in VR, 90th in BS is a 12, and 90th in PS is 13.

What are your thoughts?

31Q (12 12 7VR)
I overshot my average, and was not scoring good on VR to begin with. When I go to apply, I'll have a 3.9 GPA, with a 3.88 BCPM(most likely). I have good EC's and a LOT of waiting/serving under belt (1500-2000 hours by the time I apply). I'm aiming for a school that the the 10th percentile is an 8 in VR, 90th in BS is a 12, and 90th in PS is 13.

What are your thoughts?

A lot of people on here say that schools will probably screen you out for the 7 in VR. It's below the 10th percentile and that could use improvement. Your overall score is awesome and your BS/PS scores are up there. Imo, I think you can have a good chance. What were your averages for the FLs?

A lot of people on here say that schools will probably screen you out for the 7 in VR. It's below the 10th percentile and that could use improvement. Your overall score is awesome and your BS/PS scores are up there. Imo, I think you can have a good chance. What were your averages for the FLs?

Anywhere from a 27-30 (I hit twice) My average I would say was a 28 maybe a 29. I am IS if that helps. What I am doing to see what my chances are, is meeting with the medical school advisor. From there I probably will make my final decision. Also I will be applying first thing in June, the soonest I can.

Anywhere from a 27-30 (I hit twice) My average I would say was a 28 maybe a 29. I am IS if that helps. What I am doing to see what my chances are, is meeting with the medical school advisor. From there I probably will make my final decision. Also I will be applying first thing in June, the soonest I can.

Seems like you did above your average so I wouldn't retake unless you have really good method of studying again.

Meeting with the medical school advisor at your current school or at the medical school you are hoping to attend?

It may be a good idea to just call up the school and ask if they screen out applicants with a MCAT section score of 7. They may not be able to answer, but you never know. I'm not sure I would retest in your case because you did a lot better than your average scores in the science sections. That 7 may be a deal breaker for an MD school, though.

Where are you applying?

Hello there,

I just took the MCAT September 8th and got a 31 (PS:11, VR:10, BS:10). I know this isn't a "bad" score...but my undergrad GPA was a 2.5 and my post bacc GPA was a 3.45. I was doing better than this on my practice exams...and I feel that if I get a higher MCAT score, it will greatly strengthen my application. Can anyone give me some advice?? I'm feeling really lost and confused!

Thanks!!

PS: Planning to apply June 2012

Hello there,

I just took the MCAT September 8th and got a 31 (PS:11, VR:10, BS:10). I know this isn't a "bad" score...but my undergrad GPA was a 2.5 and my post bacc GPA was a 3.45. I was doing better than this on my practice exams...and I feel that if I get a higher MCAT score, it will greatly strengthen my application. Can anyone give me some advice?? I'm feeling really lost and confused!

Thanks!!

PS: Planning to apply June 2012

What were you scoring on practice tests? Have you calculated your cumulative GPA/Science GPA yet?

Hello Friends,

This is my first post on SDN, and unfortunately [or fortunately (??)] it's about my retake.

So here's how my story goes. I followed the SN2ed's Schedule. I studied for the MCAT throughout the whole summer [for about 3.5 months]. I did all AAMC practice exams. My average for all those exams was 32. I used to get 11-12 both in PS and BS. My score always fluctuated in VR [in the range of 7-11, but I never got lower than 7]. I came to USA 4 years ago and English is my second language. So I guess that was the reason for all those up-downs in VR. But, with the help of EK 101, I managed to stabilize my VR around 9-10.

So after all this practice, I took my MCAT on Sept. 10th, 2011. I felt like there were quite a few passages on material that was my weakness [especially in BS]. I got 10 PS, 9 VR and 8 BS. So my MCAT score is 27 Q. I'm kind of disappointed with the 10 in PS, but the main reason for my disappointment is that 8 in the BS. I've never got that low score in any of my practice exams. Even in AAMC 11 (which is supposed to be THE true indicator of real exam) I got 30 [11 PS, 7 VR, 12 BS]. :'(

In short .... these are my stats.

MCAT [10 PS, 9 VR, 8 BS] [27 Q]

Cumulative Overall GPA :- 3.83

BCPM GPA :- 3.87 [by the end of this semester it will be 3.89 hopefully]

I'm an Illinois resident and live in Chicago.

Hopefully this info. helps. Please let me know guys what are your opinions. Should I retake it or not? .. also .. please let me know if you need more info.

Thank you so much!

:)

Hello Friends,

This is my first post on SDN, and unfortunately [or fortunately (??)] it's about my retake.

So here's how my story goes. I followed the SN2ed's Schedule. I studied for the MCAT throughout the whole summer [for about 3.5 months]. I did all AAMC practice exams. My average for all those exams was 32. I used to get 11-12 both in PS and BS. My score always fluctuated in VR [in the range of 7-11, but I never got lower than 7]. I came to USA 4 years ago and English is my second language. So I guess that was the reason for all those up-downs in VR. But, with the help of EK 101, I managed to stabilize my VR around 9-10.

So after all this practice, I took my MCAT on Sept. 10th, 2011. I felt like there were quite a few passages on material that was my weakness [especially in BS]. I got 10 PS, 9 VR and 8 BS. So my MCAT score is 27 Q. I'm kind of disappointed with the 10 in PS, but the main reason for my disappointment is that 8 in the BS. I've never got that low score in any of my practice exams. Even in AAMC 11 (which is supposed to be THE true indicator of real exam) I got 30 [11 PS, 7 VR, 12 BS]. :'(

In short .... these are my stats.

MCAT [10 PS, 9 VR, 8 BS] [27 Q]

Cumulative Overall GPA :- 3.83

BCPM GPA :- 3.87 [by the end of this semester it will be 3.89 hopefully]

I'm an Illinois resident and live in Chicago.

Hopefully this info. helps. Please let me know guys what are your opinions. Should I retake it or not? .. also .. please let me know if you need more info.

Thank you so much!

:)

Since you were averaging a 32 (5 points higher than your actual score) you may have just gotten very nervous on the real thing. I think you could definitely retake it, but what material would you use for practice this time? Most of the IL schools have a 10th percentile above 27, so it would be a good idea to retake if you think you can get the 30+ this time.

Since you were averaging a 32 (5 points higher than your actual score) you may have just gotten very nervous on the real thing. I think you could definitely retake it, but what material would you use for practice this time? Most of the IL schools have a 10th percentile above 27, so it would be a good idea to retake if you think you can get the 30+ this time.

Hey tman ... thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. :)

Last time I used Berkeley Review for PS, EK 101 and TPR Verbal for Verbal, and EK bio, orgo and TBR Bio for bio. I also used all AAMC exams.

I'm not sure what to use now. I think I will use BR for PS, BS and VR this time, because I don't have many options left. I will also use TBR's practice exams since they are the best option available after those AAMC exams.

What do you think I should use? Can you please let me know which material i should use for this retake study? .. or may be any other suggestions or advice in order to do better on this retake?? .. It will be really really helpful.

Thank you so much. :)

PS:- btw ... are you Indian?? .. lol ... b/c I saw Deepika Padukone as your avatar and looks like you are her fan .. ;) ... Were you born in India too??

Ok so to retake or not to retake, I scored a 29M 10VR 9PS and 10BS, Its not a 30 so I'm worried and the M is horrible. My GPA is right on the borderline with a double major in biology and exercise physiology. My EC's are great and I am currently working as an ophthmalic assistant. That's my brief app, should I retake?

1.jpg

6.jpg

Ok let's start with this. What is your GPA? And where are you looking to apply?

Hey tman ... thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. :)

Last time I used Berkeley Review for PS, EK 101 and TPR Verbal for Verbal, and EK bio, orgo and TBR Bio for bio. I also used all AAMC exams.

I'm not sure what to use now. I think I will use BR for PS, BS and VR this time, because I don't have many options left. I will also use TBR's practice exams since they are the best option available after those AAMC exams.

What do you think I should use? Can you please let me know which material i should use for this retake study? .. or may be any other suggestions or advice in order to do better on this retake?? .. It will be really really helpful.

Thank you so much. :)

PS:- btw ... are you Indian?? .. lol ... b/c I saw Deepika Padukone as your avatar and looks like you are her fan .. ;) ... Were you born in India too??

I'm actually not Indian, but I can tell you in PM if you're really interested. As for studying, I think that the TBR material is probably your best bet. You could also try the Gold standard exams, but I'm not sure how good that will be. Reusing exams isn't a good idea, but you can try to go over the AAMC exams as review to look over things you may have missed and can reinforce now.

I'm actually not Indian, but I can tell you in PM if you're really interested. As for studying, I think that the TBR material is probably your best bet. You could also try the Gold standard exams, but I'm not sure how good that will be. Reusing exams isn't a good idea, but you can try to go over the AAMC exams as review to look over things you may have missed and can reinforce now.

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to use TBR exams and may be some TPR exams. I will also review AAMC exams especially 7-11. Hopefully it works out. :)

btw .... i had one more Q. In your last reply you said that "Most of the IL schools have a 10th percentile above 27, so it would be a good idea to retake if you think you can get the 30+ this time" ... I was wondering what does "Most of the IL schools have a 10th percentile above 27" really mean? ... This might be silly question according to others, but I am just wondering what it means. It will be helpful if you can explain it to me. Thank you :)

PS: - I was just curious and PMed you .. lol .. ;)

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to use TBR exams and may be some TPR exams. I will also review AAMC exams especially 7-11. Hopefully it works out. :)

btw .... i had one more Q. In your last reply you said that "Most of the IL schools have a 10th percentile above 27, so it would be a good idea to retake if you think you can get the 30+ this time" ... I was wondering what does "Most of the IL schools have a 10th percentile above 27" really mean? ... This might be silly question according to others, but I am just wondering what it means. It will be helpful if you can explain it to me. Thank you :)

PS: - I was just curious and PMed you .. lol .. ;)

Haha, I replied :) So what I meant when I was talking about 10th percentile is in reference to the MSAR. If you purchase the online access to it you can find out the 10th and 90th percentiles for MCAT and GPA for every school along with a lot of other very important information. I believe the data is based on matriculated students or at least accepted students, so it would give you a good idea of where you are standing. I think it's great that you are going to review the AAMC exams again. It should help with some review in case you missed something the first time or for a refresher. Just get your hands on as many more FLs as you can. Good luck. :luck:

What were you scoring on practice tests? Have you calculated your cumulative GPA/Science GPA yet?

Hi again,

I was scoring between 31 and 37 on my practice tests...and I definitely don't think I tried my hardest on that test (I know I can do better). How do I calculate my cGPA vs my sGPA? Are there any particular study materials you or anyone else would suggest?

Thank you so much!

Hi again,

I was scoring between 31 and 37 on my practice tests...and I definitely don't think I tried my hardest on that test (I know I can do better). How do I calculate my cGPA vs my sGPA? Are there any particular study materials you or anyone else would suggest?

Thank you so much!

I think there are some spread sheets on SDN that let you calculate the cGPA and sGPA. You definitely can do better, so it might be worth it for you to retake. Try the TBR material. It's the best around imo.

After being waitlisted at three schools (Wayne State, Temple and NYMC) last year, I am wondering if I should retake the MCAT when I reapply in June. I have a 3.79 cum GPA, around 3.6 science. I've worked in medical clinics in Latin America for a total of about 3 weeks, have 9 months hospital OR volunteering/shadowing right now, as well as a multitude of other volunteer commitments.

When I took the MCAT a year ago, I scored a 30S (9VR, 11BS, 10PS), roughly where my average was based on AAMC practice tests. I feel that I could increase this score by at least a few points if I study over the next several months before a retake, but would it help me enough to score low to mid-30s or is it better to just reapply with the same score and new volunteer experiences?

I might also mention that I didn't get my application in until late September/early October last year.

After being waitlisted at three schools (Wayne State, Temple and NYMC) last year, I am wondering if I should retake the MCAT when I reapply in June. I have a 3.79 cum GPA, around 3.6 science. I've worked in medical clinics in Latin America for a total of about 3 weeks, have 9 months hospital OR volunteering/shadowing right now, as well as a multitude of other volunteer commitments.

When I took the MCAT a year ago, I scored a 30S (9VR, 11BS, 10PS), roughly where my average was based on AAMC practice tests. I feel that I could increase this score by at least a few points if I study over the next several months before a retake, but would it help me enough to score low to mid-30s or is it better to just reapply with the same score and new volunteer experiences?

I might also mention that I didn't get my application in until late September/early October last year.

It certainly couldn't hurt your application if you were to improve a couple of points. I think it depends on if you really think you have the time to focus and truly improve your score. If you do, then go for it. It would certainly open up some more doors.

That said, I don't think your MCAT score is keeping you out of medical school. Focus on the rest of your application that you think was a bit lacking and then apply EARLY.

Good luck.

I definitely agree with the above poster, but your MCAT score might be below the averages for those schools. If you think you can score 33+ on the retake, I'd say go for it otherwise concentrate on other ways to improve your application.

Ok so to retake or not to retake, I scored a 29M 10VR 9PS and 10BS, Its not a 30 so I'm worried and the M is horrible. My GPA is right on the borderline with a double major in biology and exercise physiology. My EC's are great and I am currently working as an ophthmalic assistant. That's my brief app, should I retake?

I would probably suggest retesting. You might get some interviews (and maybe some acceptances) at MD schools, but you would have a better shot if you were to get that MCAT score up a bit. I think you have to be pretty certain that you will do better though or else it might just be a waste of time when you could be focusing on other portions of your application.

What were you averaging on practice tests?

I retrieved a 34/40 on the practice Kaplan verbal reasoning section test. What would be my raw score ranging from 0-15? Please help, Thanks!

I am in dire need of help.

I took my MCAT (after over a year of preparing and taking a 7 month long course with one of the top prep courses around for a hefty amount of money) and was deff not pleased with my score. I am now a senior and I received my score back in September and have been forced to stop my application to med school for the Fall 2012 cycle.

I do not know what to do. I doubt that retaking the mcat and studying on my own will increase my score and I know I will never get into ANY school with my score. I plan on applying to Chicago universities (who have very high expectations for MCAT scores)

I'm interested in completing a BMS program as an alternate route to get into med school hopefully after the completion of the masters program....

PLEASE ADVISE. Should I take a year off? Or take it again ASAP? Or the BMS?????

I am in dire need of help.

I took my MCAT (after over a year of preparing and taking a 7 month long course with one of the top prep courses around for a hefty amount of money) and was deff not pleased with my score. I am now a senior and I received my score back in September and have been forced to stop my application to med school for the Fall 2012 cycle.

I do not know what to do. I doubt that retaking the mcat and studying on my own will increase my score and I know I will never get into ANY school with my score. I plan on applying to Chicago universities (who have very high expectations for MCAT scores)

I'm interested in completing a BMS program as an alternate route to get into med school hopefully after the completion of the masters program....

PLEASE ADVISE. Should I take a year off? Or take it again ASAP? Or the BMS?????

You don't give us a whole lot to go off of here. How did you actually score on the exam? That would be helpful. Also, a whole year of studying probably did you more harm than good.

I definitely wouldn't recommend rushing into taking the MCAT again really soon, but that's about all I can help you with unless I know more about your situation.

Hello,

Sorry i did not realize there was this thread so i posted a new one.

I took the MCAT on August 6, 2011 and I scored a 4 in VR :eek: 8 in PS and 9 BS. I'm debating on whether I should retake the MCAT or apply to the Caribbeans. My biggest concern is that I did horribly on VR but the real thing was so much harder compared to practice passages. I don't know how I can do better next time if I just don't have that difficulty level of practice!! I'm so torn please help !

Thanks so much.

Hello,

Sorry i did not realize there was this thread so i posted a new one.

I took the MCAT on August 6, 2011 and I scored a 4 in VR :eek: 8 in PS and 9 BS. I'm debating on whether I should retake the MCAT or apply to the Caribbeans. My biggest concern is that I did horribly on VR but the real thing was so much harder compared to practice passages. I don't know how I can do better next time if I just don't have that difficulty level of practice!! I'm so torn please help !

Thanks so much.

How much practice did you do for the Verbal section and what materials did you use to prepare?

Status
Not open for further replies.