**Official SMDEP 2012 Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrStraggler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't see an SMDEP 2012 Thread out there yet so I thought I'd start one! It's a first time for me. What schools are you guys thinking of applying to?

My top choices are UVA, Nebraska, Washington, Yale, Duke, & Columbia. As you can tell, I'm having a hard time narrowing it down to 3!!

But yeah, hopefully we can just talk about the application process and get some valuable information here!

Good luck to everyone applying this year!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm thinking about Texas-houston, UCLA and Yale.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about Columbia, Nebraska, Kentucky, Howard, Case, and NJ. I'm pre-dental.

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly is this? Do you add it to med school applications?

I feel like if you're a sophomore then you should apply to research programs and SMDEP at the same time. If you're a freshmen then apply to SMDEP and some shadowing programs.

Hey Guys!

So I am in the process of applying for Summer 2012 and I was just wondering if we were required to have a LOR from a professor? I have one from my academic adviser, but I asked my boss for a LOR because I am a Student Health Provider at my University and I feel like she knows me better. I have a professor I can ask, but I feel like my supervisor would write me a better letter.

Thanks!

Hi,
I am an SMDEP ambassador this year so I maybe able to answer some questions. Uh the letters of recommendation thing, as long as one is from a professor its fine. Do not worry about getting it from someone in your major or anything like that. I am a BioChem major and I used two math letters. Just make sure they are good and not generic and you will be fine.

Ok so some tips!
1. Obviously apply early!!!!! But the thing is your application is considered complete once you have your transcripts and you application turned in. The letters of recommendations can come later if need be but you don't need them for your application to be considered complete.. at least that's how it was last year. Oh and complete app means the sites your selected can begin reviewing your app.
2. You don't need to send things in order. If you have letters send them now, or whatever just get it in early.
3. This is an education program so yes there is alot of class time studying but it's fun I promise!!
4. Call the sites, just talk to someone, ask questions.. Its a leg up trust!
and lastly for now
5. Please take those essays SERIOUSLY! this is a big program a lot of ppl apply and there are no interviews so they only know who you are by what you say in the essays. Don't just one-nighter it and expect it to be ok. Take this as a dry run for applying to medical school... because you are in a way..

Hey guys,

I was wondering if a professor says that they wrote their letter on the LOR form is that what they are supposed to do?

Thanks!

And we should make a facebook group for the SMDEP 2012 applicants!

1. are there a decent # of asians who apply, and get into this program?
2. im guessing your Socioeconomic status > the area you're from?

im applying to as many as possible. i may be waiting for my fall quarter grades to see who im getting letters from. also,

3. can we just photocopy letters/use the same 2 letters for all of our applications?

I didnt read much into the process.

I think I'm going to apply as well! :) I'm planning on getting one letter from my chemistry professor, but I can't decide if my second letter should be from a doctor I shadow, my psychology professor, or a letter from one of my high school teachers (I'm a freshman). Hmmm! This is a really cool opportunity though. I'm planning on applying to this, a bunch of research programs, and some summer camp counselor jobs. Hopefully one of them works out!

1. are there a decent # of asians who apply, and get into this program?
2. im guessing your Socioeconomic status > the area you're from?

im applying to as many as possible. i may be waiting for my fall quarter grades to see who im getting letters from. also,

3. can we just photocopy letters/use the same 2 letters for all of our applications?

I didnt read much into the process.

When I attended there were definitely some Asians. I don't think where you're from affects your application at all, unless it's specific to that program (I seem to remember UCLA favoring community college students from Cali).

Also, when I went through, you could only pick three schools to apply to, so do your homework!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to apply as well! :) I'm planning on getting one letter from my chemistry professor, but I can't decide if my second letter should be from a doctor I shadow, my psychology professor, or a letter from one of my high school teachers (I'm a freshman). Hmmm! This is a really cool opportunity though. I'm planning on applying to this, a bunch of research programs, and some summer camp counselor jobs. Hopefully one of them works out!

They have very specific LOR requirements, and doctors you shadow do not count!

"You must submit two (2) letters of recommendation; one letter from either a prehealth advisor and/or your college professor and one letter must be from your major field of study"

http://www.smdep.org/reccsoverview.htm

They have very specific LOR requirements, and doctors you shadow do not count!

"You must submit two (2) letters of recommendation; one letter from either a prehealth advisor and/or your college professor and one letter must be from your major field of study"

http://www.smdep.org/reccsoverview.htm

Yea.. That's not entirely true. I am a biology major and I used two letters from a Math Ta and a math professor. Just make sure its someone who knows you personally and won't write something generic, that's all that matters.

Yea.. That's not entirely true.

I mean... it's what the guidelines are. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. I caution applicants to do exactly what the application says - SMDEP is very competitive, and to think that you can submit to them what you want, instead of what they ask for, I think, is a little presumptuous.

Or take your chances and submit a TA letter.

I've applied to Columbia, Case Western Reserve, and UCLA.

Do you know if they weigh your ACT score heavily because I did average.

I was curious and was wondering how early have applicants submitted their applications.. I'm really nervous..

I am a sophomore and applying to smdep but I think I would choose research over it now since I will have already taken most of the prereqs they offer by the start of it.

I was curious and was wondering how early have applicants submitted their applications.. I'm really nervous..

I still haven't turned mine in.

Hopefully I can complete it this week. I hate writing :(

Hey guys! Good luck on your applications!
I participated in 2010 in Yale but I was also accepted to the Columbia and Duke programs.
So if you have any questions feel free to contact me through PM or through here :)

and for those of you that are stressing out on LOR, don't. They don't weigh a lot in the evaluation. DO put a lot of time and effort on your essays, they're the most important part!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey!

I was just curious on my chances of getting into the SMDEP program at Columbia. Does anyone know how many people apply and are accepted each year?

I have medical volunteer and research experience, good LOR's and essays, and a 3.85 GPA.. but I am not an underrepresented minority. Will this significantly hurt my chances? I submitted my application to Columbia, Yale, and Nebraska before Thanksgiving.

Thanks for any feedback!

I'm applying to Texas-Houston, Duke, and Yale.

It seems Yale and Texas-Houston are popular!

do you guys think it's too late to apply? i just came across this today...

This thread has been dead for a week now so I thought I would update every... My application is now in review!

Hey Everyone!

I did this program two summers ago, and I consider it to be one of the best programs I've had the opportunities to have. I won't post where I did it, just for privacy issues, but please, if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away! Some of my best friends to this date I made while doing SMDEP! I HIGHLY recommend this program to absolutely everyone! :)

Yes I definitely agree, SMDEP is an awesome program and if you're accepted, DO IT! I did it last summer and it's one of the best academic experiences I've ever had. Any questions, POST HERE:) Good luck to everyone!

Which sites are more friendly towards asians? Also, which sites are least competitive? Thanks

VA, WA, and TX

Hoping for WA or TX

bump. how are people able to fedex transcripts if it says that is not allowed?

I am applying for Duke, Columbia, and UVA. Also I have a question is your application considered complete once the LOR are in or once the transcripts are or both?

Last edited:
I would say the application is complete once EVERYTHING is in

That's what I'm thinking but going back and reading previous SMDEP years some people might have had them sent in but not yet processed and their application was under review and even accepted before both were processed.

In the processing of applying right now...the one I REALLY want to get into is the UCLA SMDEP. Almost finished with everything. :p

How's it going, everyone!

I'm in the process of applying to the SMDEP as well. I tried out last year as a freshman, but I was waitlisted at one site and rejected at two sites. Then again, I applied probably a few days before the March 1st deadline, so I'm hoping my chances are better this time by applying earlier.

I applied to Howard, UVA, and Columbia. Columbia is a bit of a stretch, but the other two sites are great as well in terms of their curriculum.

I just hope I can make the Feb. 1st deadline. My transcript was mailed out to the SMDEP on Tuesday, and I had one of my LORs faxed in Tuesday as well, and the other one today, so i have my fingers crossed :D

I applied to Howard, UVA, and Columbia. Columbia is a bit of a stretch, but the other two sites are great as well in terms of their curriculum.

I just hope I can make the Feb. 1st deadline. My transcript was mailed out to the SMDEP on Tuesday, and I had one of my LORs faxed in Tuesday as well, and the other one today, so i have my fingers crossed :D

Hey I also applied to UVA and Columbia as well as Duke. My reach would definitely be Columbia as well. It only took them 4 days to process my transcripts but only because one of those days was a holiday. So I think they should get there. :) I'm waiting for them to process my LOR and it's been a while. Making me nervous.

Yeah, I know how you feel haha. That's a short processing time for you. I'm surprised! I'll probably wait a few more days before I call the heck out of their office every day haha.

I think they don't really update the system as much as they should because for me it never really said if they received anything from me.

Waiting for one more transcript to be received. I am sooo nervous; I want to be selected so bad!

I think they don't really update the system as much as they should because for me it never really said if they received anything from me.

That's frustrating but understandable. Would you recommend calling to see if they have it?

I think that's the best (and only) option. I did that last time I applied, for my transcript.

Looks like I'll be calling once I get out of this class.

"Your Diversity Essay must be submitted at the same time you submit your application. You cannot add the essay at a later time." << I was wondering what this is suppose to mean..

So I can't post my essay on there and then press save and exit? I have to only post my final essay they day I am ready to press submit..I'm kind of confused cause I still want to proof read it as much as I can before I send it in..

"Your Diversity Essay must be submitted at the same time you submit your application. You cannot add the essay at a later time." << I was wondering what this is suppose to mean..

So I can't post my essay on there and then press save and exit? I have to only post my final essay they day I am ready to press submit..I'm kind of confused cause I still want to proof read it as much as I can before I send it in..

You can post your essay and save it and go back to it later. It just meant that once you submit the application, you cannot add or change your essay.

Yeah, their wording is very bad, but I was able to save and fix my essay later before submitting it.

Hey guys, I have a question about the admission decision dates (this is from the web application website):

The SMDEP program sites provide notification of admission decisions once the NPO has a "Completed" application by one of the following decision dates:

Admissions decisions are released on February 15 for applications completed by February 1st.
Admissions decisions are released on March 1 for applications completed after February 1st.

Reminder: You have two business days after the admission decision release date to confirm acceptance.

All applications must be submitted by the deadline on March 1, 2011. Admissions decisions are submitted and posted online. To monitor your status, check the "View Status" page on the SMDEP web's application site.

I'm a bit confused about the March date... I only thought that March 1st was when apps were due only... I didn't know they would release decisions that day as well. What about the April 1st date?

I'm thinking the March 1st date are for applications that are fully completed (LORs, transcripts processed and everything) after February 1st, but BEFORE March 1st. And then any app that is fully completed AFTER March 1st will receive a decision on April 1st.

I probably just answered my own question there, but it dosen't hurt to ask. :D

Hey guys! I finished my application early January. I have applied to the Columbia, Yale, and Duke sites.

So far everything has been processed except one letter of recommendation, it was sent a while ago, so it should have made its way there by now ^.^

Anyways good luck to all!