oh no, I'm a blusher and a fidgeter!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ferdie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to this "interview info session" at school tonight. As far as the info went it was same-old, same-old, but they made us get into groups and practice answering interview questions. Despite the fact that I have an interview in 1 week I haven't given much thought to how I'll answer questions. When put on the spot tonight I turned bright red and starting wringing my hands and felt a sweat coming on. Oh no!
Any advice on how to keep your cool during an interview, especially if you're thrown unexpected questions???:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

oh yeah, and clearly the first thing I'll be doing in the next day or two is sitting down with a list of common questions and thinking about how I'd answer them, as well as thinking of questions I'd like to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to this "interview info session" at school tonight. As far as the info went it was same-old, same-old, but they made us get into groups and practice answering interview questions. Despite the fact that I have an interview in 1 week I haven't given much thought to how I'll answer questions. When put on the spot tonight I turned bright red and starting wringing my hands and felt a sweat coming on. Oh no!
Any advice on how to keep your cool during an interview, especially if you're thrown unexpected questions???:eek:

Two books that really helped me in this regard (both on Amazon):

Iserson's Getting Into a Residency: A Guide for Medical Students, 7th Edition by Kenneth V. Iserson

First Aid for the Match: Insider Advice from Students and Residency Directors by Tao, Md Le, Vikas, Md Bhushan, and Chirag, MD Amin

Try a beta blocker

Ditto. I suggest 25mg of propanolol an hour before you go into the interview. Of course, your blood pressure and heart rate might be so low that you might faint when you stand up to shake their hand. :laugh:

-copro