MD Ohio 3.8 cGPA, 3.8 mGPA, 33 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CpnPlanet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd give this forum a go and see what you beautiful people might have to say about my stats and my choice of schools to apply to. I'm a 4th year Biomedical Engineering student in Ohio doing a 5th year/gap year to complete my minor and to work on more volunteering and research. With regards to ECs, keep in mind that going to medical school wasn't even on my mind until the end of my 2nd year.

3.8 cumulative GPA
3.8 major GPA
11 PS/10 VR/12 BS = 33 MCAT

Extracurriculars:
-University marching band
-Pre-med Fraternity, programming committee
-Engineering Honorary, Secretary

Service:
-2 week-long service trips, 1 of which I was a trip leader

Clinical:
-2 years of clinically relevant research experience, 10 hrs/week
-Roughly 30 hours of physician shadowing

Schools I'm thinking about apply to:
Ohio State Univ.
U. Cincinnati
Case Western U.
Northeast Ohio Medical U.
U. of Toledo
Wright State U.
U. of Michigan
U. of Pittsburgh
NYU
Mayo Medical School
Oregon Health & Science U.
U. of Colorado
U. of Texas

I know some of these might be a long shot, but right now Ohio State is probably my first choice. Any feedback on my chances at these schools would be appreciated, as well as suggestions for other schools to apply to and ways to use my gap year productively. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the response!
Any particular reason for not recommending TX or OHSU? I pretty much just put them on my list to diversify my options and I'm in no way attached to the idea of applying there, but I'm just curious.
I have the MSAR, but I've had a tough time translating that information into how I stack up against it. Seeing where I stand in relation to their 10th-90th percentile is only so helpful without hearing someone's opinion. Do you have any recommendations for using the MSAR more effectively?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response!
Any particular reason for not recommending TX or OHSU? I pretty much just put them on my list to diversify my options and I'm in no way attached to the idea of applying there, but I'm just curious.
I have the MSAR, but I've had a tough time translating that information into how I stack up against it. Seeing where I stand in relation to their 10th-90th percentile is only so helpful without hearing someone's opinion. Do you have any recommendations for using the MSAR more effectively?
You have to pay for the relevant information! The good stuff in on the acceptance tab.
TX has a statutory requirement to fill at least 90% of their seats with IS applicants.
OHSU has a strong regional preference.

You have to pay for the relevant information! The good stuff in on the acceptance tab.
TX has a statutory requirement to fill at least 90% of their seats with IS applicants.
OHSU has a strong regional preference.
I'm aware, and I've paid for the MSAR. Super helpful for helping me pick my top choices of the schools I already know I want to apply to, but a little more difficult to use it to find new schools I'd like. Maybe I just need to spend more time on it...

I'll definitely rethink TX and OHSU. Any suggestions for other schools that might fit my profile and accept reasonable numbers out-of-state? or better reach schools?

I'm aware, and I've paid for the MSAR. Super helpful for helping me pick my top choices of the schools I already know I want to apply to, but a little more difficult to use it to find new schools I'd like. Maybe I just need to spend more time on it...

I'll definitely rethink TX and OHSU. Any suggestions for other schools that might fit my profile and accept reasonable numbers out-of-state? or better reach schools?
Einstein, Tulane...

I suggest:
Georgetown
Colorado
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
BU
NYMC
VCU
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
George Washington
Emory
USC
Tulane
Dartmouth
Loyola
Creighton
Any new MD school, especially Hofstra
Any DO program
Your state school(s).

Figured I'd give this forum a go and see what you beautiful people might have to say about my stats and my choice of schools to apply to. I'm a 4th year Biomedical Engineering student in Ohio doing a 5th year/gap year to complete my minor and to work on more volunteering and research. With regards to ECs, keep in mind that going to medical school wasn't even on my mind until the end of my 2nd year.

3.8 cumulative GPA
3.8 major GPA

Extracurriculars:

Service:

Clinical:

Ohio State Univ.
U. Cincinnati
Case Western U.
U. of Toledo
Wright State U.
U. of Michigan
U. of Pittsburgh
NYU
Mayo Medical School
U. of Colorado
U. of Texas

I know some of these might be a long shot, but right now Ohio State is probably my first choice. Any feedback on my chances at these schools would be appreciated, as well as suggestions for other schools to apply to and ways to use my gap year productively. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user

3.8 cumulative GPA
3.8 major GPA

Extracurriculars:

Service:

Clinical:

Ohio State Univ.
U. Cincinnati
Case Western U.
U. of Toledo
Wright State U.
U. of Michigan
U. of Pittsburgh
NYU
Mayo Medical School
U. of Colorado
U. of Texas

U of Michigan has an average of MCAT 36 for OOS (only 34 of us IS though). That is a real reach, especially if you don't have strong research. Would consider adding Iowa and Wisconsin.