Ohio State Class of 2020 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also accepted my seat :) Can't wait for fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I did too! I'm so excited!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone chosen Ohio over your instate? Mine is UF and everyone seems to think im beyond Insane to even consider attending any other school... Ohio is offering me a good scholarship which brings the difference between both schools (in tuition alone) to like 25 k.. is that still to much ? UF is an amazing school but I fell inlove with Ohio for some reason I see myself being happier there... Any advice ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone chosen Ohio over your instate? Mine is UF and everyone seems to think im beyond Insane to even consider attending any other school... Ohio is offering me a good scholarship which brings the difference between both schools (in tuition alone) to like 25 k.. is that still to much ? UF is an amazing school but I fell inlove with Ohio for some reason I see myself being happier there... Any advice ?
I personally don't have an IS school being from AZ but I was accepted to OSU and Washington State and the price difference is actually about 50k (OSU being more expensive). In my opinion, I would rather pay the 50k to be happier with where I'm living for the next 4 years as well as with the school that i'll be spending tons of time at. I know that it will set me back as far as paying my loans off but I also would hate to regret not going where I think I will be happiest and most successful. This being said, I still have not accepted my seat yet to OSU because I am waiting to see where my boyfriend decides to go. There are also private scholarships that you can apply for to try and bring the cost even lower so maybe OSU wouldn't be as much of a stretch..This is all just my opinion too, I'm sure others will have a different one.

Reactions: 1 user

If I were in your shoes, 25k may have been too much of a difference for me. $25,000 is still $25,000, and that's before interest and such. Taking a YOLO-esque approach to debt is a dangerous game. However, I also don't know anything about your financial situation.

I think it's also important to note that chances are quite good that you would grow to love your school - whether it was your "dream school" initially or not. I definitely experienced this with my undergrad institution.

Congrats on being accepted to both schools!

Reactions: 3 users

I think another thing to consider is the school itself. If you plan on doing an internship and getting board certified or specializing you might want to look into the quality of school. I feel like since Ohio is in the top 5, there might be more opportunities than UF

I think another thing to consider is the school itself. If you plan on doing an internship and getting board certified or specializing you might want to look into the quality of school. I feel like since Ohio is in the top 5, there might be more opportunities than UF

I agree with this. My biggest reason for thinking I'll go to OSU over WSU is the amount of opportunities OSU provides.

Just sitting here thinking about how excited I am to meet ya'll. :D :highfive:

Can't wait!

Reactions: 8 users
Quick question: How confident should I be about getting in with the #2 waitlist spot? Are there separate waitlists for IS vs OOS? I feel like there have to be separate lists because they can't give an IS spot to an OOS student as the money aspect would work very differently. Any insight would be appreciated!

Quick question: How confident should I be about getting in with the #2 waitlist spot? Are there separate waitlists for IS vs OOS? I feel like there have to be separate lists because they can't give an IS spot to an OOS student as the money aspect would work very differently. Any insight would be appreciated!

I do not think that there are separate waitlists. From what I can tell in the past generally upwards of 20 people get pulled from the waitlist. Your odds are pretty good, but anything could happen.

I'm calling OSU on Monday to ask about IS vs OOS waitlists. I don't know if they would be forthcoming about that information but it won't hurt to ask.

Just got off the phone with Sandra Dawkins and she said they DO have separate IS and OOS waitlists.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I didn't ask is how they're working those lists this year.

For c/o 2018, the last time they made rankings known to applicants, it looks like they under accepted IS and over accepted OOS - then, presumably, pulled people off the IS waitlist once enough OOS declined their offers and seats became open. If that happens again I'll feel a little more hopeful about my waitlist standing.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know where to find the list of electives available?

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know where to find the list of electives available?
Go to https://cvmcommunity.osu.edu/ and log in with your OSU username/password
Click on "Groups". Under "Student Groups" click the next button and then "Professional Program Support".
On the right hand side click "Scheduling: VME I, II, III"

Or just go here: https://cvmcommunity.osu.edu/scheduling-pre-clinical-years if you don't want to learn how to get there ;)

Elective course schedules are near the bottom. There are ones listed for autumn for 2nd and 3rd years and spring for first, second, and third years. Just be aware that electives may change from year to year or the time they are offered may differ. The ones currently listed are for this year.

Click on "Groups". Under "Student Groups" click the next button and then "Professional Program Support".

Or just go here: https://cvmcommunity.osu.edu/scheduling-pre-clinical-years if you don't want to learn how to get there ;)

Elective course schedules are near the bottom. There are ones listed for autumn for 2nd and 3rd years and spring for first, second, and third years. Just be aware that electives may change from year to year or the time they are offered may differ. The ones currently listed are for this year.

Wow definitely a game changer! Thanks a bunch.

:love: So many cool options! I want to take all of the things. :D

How many electives can/do people usually take per semester?

I personally don't have an IS school being from AZ but I was accepted to OSU and Washington State and the price difference is actually about 50k (OSU being more expensive). In my opinion, I would rather pay the 50k to be happier with where I'm living for the next 4 years as well as with the school that i'll be spending tons of time at. I know that it will set me back as far as paying my loans off but I also would hate to regret not going where I think I will be happiest and most successful. This being said, I still have not accepted my seat yet to OSU because I am waiting to see where my boyfriend decides to go. There are also private scholarships that you can apply for to try and bring the cost even lower so maybe OSU wouldn't be as much of a stretch..This is all just my opinion too, I'm sure others will have a different one.
I was accepted to TAMU, my in state. Having gone to OSU for undergrad, I honestly couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I know OSU will prepare me for the career I want, which is pretty nontraditional compared to most vet students. If you're just interested in clinical practice, the debt might not be worth it...but if you're interested in pursuing a research based career like me, OSU is one of the best.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm going to ask this again since I think it got lost in the facebook discission:

Could one of the current students explain when students start to get hands-on animal experience in the curriculum? Are there sufficient opportunities to practice clinical skills? Everyone talks about the opportunities clubs provide, and I don't discount that, but what about during the actual coursework?

I'm going to ask this again since I think it got lost in the facebook discission:

Could one of the current students explain when students start to get hands-on animal experience in the curriculum? Are there sufficient opportunities to practice clinical skills? Everyone talks about the opportunities clubs provide, and I don't discount that, but what about during the actual coursework?
First semester. Besides small animal anatomy lab, there's also behavior/animal handling labs for Farm animal, equine and small animal that teach low stress handling techniques. In clinical pathology labs you'll learn how to do blood smears and other techniques as well as read the slides. Second semester you have large animal anatomy lab. You'll have labs for clinical medicine where you'll learn scrubbing/gowning/gloving, instrument handling, hand ties, etc. Musculoskeletal is your first "systems" class and is this semester. It has hands on labs that are pretty cool. You can start taking electives this semester, several of which are hands on. ECC elective is popular because you shadow in the small animal ER/ICU and go to rounds with the 4th years.

These are just things I remember off the top of my head- It's been two years so they may have changed or added things. Perhaps a 1st or 2nd year and chime in. I didn't feel like I wasn't getting enough experience or underprepared to handle animals. We also get two full summers off which gives everyone plenty of time to do externships and get even more hands on experience. 2nd year has hands on labs as well and 3rd year has a TON (including live surgeries). Definitely don't discount the wet labs through the clubs! For the most part they are taught by our faculty (or sometimes faculty members from other vet schools) and are great learning experiences. You get out what you put in. ;)

Reactions: 6 users
If applying for in-state tuition, does the not leaving for more than 2 weeks rule only apply for the summer after your first year or every summer while at OSU?

If applying for in-state tuition, does the not leaving for more than 2 weeks rule only apply for the summer after your first year or every summer while at OSU?
As far as I'm aware, it applies for your entire first year, not just the summer. So winter holidays too. But once you're approved you're not constrained anymore.

Thanks Gwenevre. Forgot about winter/spring break.

Can anyone tell me (or PM) the name of the Facebook group? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks!

Thanks Gwenevre. Forgot about winter/spring break.

Can anyone tell me (or PM) the name of the Facebook group? I'm having trouble finding it. Thanks!
Pretty sure it hasn't been made yet.

Is it easy to find a roommate? Does the school help with that, or will the Facebook page make it easier to find a roommate when it gets made? Contemplating getting a one bedroom or finding a roommate.

Is it easy to find a roommate? Does the school help with that, or will the Facebook page make it easier to find a roommate when it gets made? Contemplating getting a one bedroom or finding a roommate.

Once the facebook group is made there will be a Google doc created called the roommate guide. If you're looking for a roommate you'll fill out the survey on it and look to see if anyone else looks like a good match.

For current students (I know this might have been asked before but I cant find it) are lessons recorded? and is attendance mandatory to all classes ? I know Uf is recording classes and you can choose to watch at home in some cases which I thought was a nice thing for when you are sick etc.

"I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this may be a tall order but can any current students comment on the information above? Its from the "Factors when picking a school thread" (first post) from back in 2008. I guess it would be great to see an updated pros/con list if possible.

One major change from that list is that OSU is now on semesters.

"I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this may be a tall order but can any current students comment on the information above? Its from the "Factors when picking a school thread" (first post) from back in 2008. I guess it would be great to see an updated pros/con list if possible.
Pros - I agree with them all.
Cons - we are now on the semester system so that isn't applicable anymore. Our carnivore anatomy is a little disorganized from the lecture side but I really enjoyed the lab portion. The herbivore anatomy course in the spring is MUCH better organized. And as for leaving for externships, that's only for OOS students (I'm IS) but there are TONS of opportunities in Ohio so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Class notes are now online and we do not need to purchase them. However, a few of my classmates were resistant to change and decided to go in together and buy printed notes in bulk, so that is an option for some classes. Our exams are (unfortunately) done through ExamSoft, but it's only perk is that we can look at the questions we got wrong on our own time after the exam is over if the instructor allows us to do so, and most do. It is also true that our schedule has a basic theme but it's different every day, and from week to week.

As for the OOS 3 week thing, I remember reading that they make exceptions if you have an externship, not sure how true it was but it's definitely something to look into If that's a determining factor for picking your school

For current students (I know this might have been asked before but I cant find it) are lessons recorded? and is attendance mandatory to all classes ? I know Uf is recording classes and you can choose to watch at home in some cases which I thought was a nice thing for when you are sick etc.
If I'm not mistaken, the vet student who conducted our tour said most, if not all, classes are being recorded now.

If I'm not mistaken, the vet student who conducted our tour said most, if not all, classes are being recorded now.
Yep! They're all recorded except for some review sessions, some electives, and the rare occasion when lecture capture fails.

As for the OOS 3 week thing, I remember reading that they make exceptions if you have an externship, not sure how true it was but it's definitely something to look into If that's a determining factor for picking your school

The externship has to be of sufficient uniqueness that it isn't available in Ohio. So a small animal GP externship would not qualify, but wildlife work in Africa most likely would ;)

Has anybody done or knows somebody who has done that international vet med program with elephants in Thailand for 10 days? I wonder if I want to do that if those 10 days wouldn't be count towards my 3 weeks OOS.

I don't know why I think this, if I read it somewhere or not, but I thought you couldn't do that trip until your second year. I want to do that trip too! It'd be awesome if you could do it your first year!

I don't know why I think this, if I read it somewhere or not, but I thought you couldn't do that trip until your second year. I want to do that trip too! It'd be awesome if you could do it your first year!

Yeah, I couldn't find much info on it sort from what we got in that booklet when we interviewed.

I've seen pictures from another student who went on the trip and It looks awesome! She was a second year when she went. Maybe it was my advisor that told me you couldn't go till the second year, because theres a class you have to take first and we don't get to choose any electives our first semester and the trip is during winter break.

I've seen pictures from another student who went on the trip and It looks awesome! She was a second year when she went. Maybe it was my advisor that told me you couldn't go till the second year, because theres a class you have to take first and we don't get to choose any electives our first semester and the trip is during winter break.

From the information on that pamphlet that they gave us it says that the program is during the summer and you take the class in Spring
ImageUploadedBySDN1457022160.381800.jpg

Or that's what I'm guessing it means by "after the end of the Spring quarter"

Okay! So maybe it is offered both times, or theres another Thailand trip too because I know she went in December. I bet its whenever you can get into the elective class required, it's probably competitive and higher classes get first pick at electives, I think.

As far as I know (I have not been on the trip), the Thailand trip happens every winter break AND every summer (in June). You do have to apply and also take the elective course beforehand. (2 credit hours). 1st years can go at the end of the spring semester (in June) and can take the elective during the spring semester.

As far as I know (I have not been on the trip), the Thailand trip happens every winter break AND every summer (in June). You do have to apply and also take the elective course beforehand. (2 credit hours). 1st years can go at the end of the spring semester (in June) and can take the elective during the spring semester.
That's great to know that there are multiple opportunities to do the trip!

Stb is right about it being offered biannually, but it all depends on funding, so that may change in the future.

Can any current students speak about OSU's total COA that they quote on their website? Do you get super close to taking this much money out in loans etc. or have you found ways to budget and cut some of the costs down? If you have, can you mention a ballpark of how much money you saved in comparison to what they quote? I ask because the page specifically states: "The COA figure represents the MAXIMUM amount of financial aid (scholarships or loans) that a student may use for the academic year."

Can any current students speak about OSU's total COA that they quote on their website? Do you get super close to taking this much money out in loans etc. or have you found ways to budget and cut some of the costs down? If you have, can you mention a ballpark of how much money you saved in comparison to what they quote? I ask because the page specifically states: "The COA figure represents the MAXIMUM amount of financial aid (scholarships or loans) that a student may use for the academic year."

I'm not a current student, but I would like to hear about this also. I have a friend who is IS (the estimated COA is ~52,000 for IS). He claims to have budgeted pretty well, and still only got it down to taking out about 50k...That may be because he had a pet, though, which limited some of his housing options. He did have a roommate. So I'm interested in this issue as well...

Yay! Facebook group was created. Email should have gone to everybody who accepted their seat!!

Reactions: 8 users
Yay! Facebook group was created. Email should have gone to everybody who accepted their seat!!

Wahoooo! Just requested to join!