Omnipaque techniques

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seaofred

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is everyone handling omnipaque in an office setting. We are trying to decide which way to go with regards to the CDCs recommendations but they are not very clear. Currently we are spending a few thousand a month to take a 50CC bottle and have a compound pharmacy place them in 3cc vials. Another option was to draw up all of the 50cc vial into a 50cc syringe using a filter needle and squirt 3 cc into each epidural tray throughout the day.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen $3 per bottle but I am getting 50cc vials of 240 for about $4 per bottle.

Join ISIS or ASIPP and get it from Henry shein as a benefit.

The 20cc vials of 180, are still $40 per bottle if not participating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

I haven't seen $3 per bottle but I am getting 50cc vials of 240 for about $4 per bottle.

Join ISIS or ASIPP and get it from Henry shein as a benefit.

The 20cc vials of 180, are still $40 per bottle if not participating.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

What he said. Also once I found that deal, I asked mckesson if they could match it and they do, so I now get mine for about $3.75, but don't have to go through ISIS or ASIPP.

Still use one bottle of contrast for my entire procedure morning, wipe with alcohol before each case, and throw away at end of the morning.

Infection risk from contrast didn't increase, just because the CDC overreacted to the menigitis outbreak caused by contaminated compounded steroids, which had NOTHING to do with contrast. I'm not going to use a new contrast bottle for each injection because of a political (not scientific) decision by the CDC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What he said. Also once I found that deal, I asked mckesson if they could match it and they do, so I now get mine for about $3.75, but don't have to go through ISIS or ASIPP.

Still use one bottle of contrast for my entire procedure morning, wipe with alcohol before each case, and throw away at end of the morning.

Infection risk from contrast didn't increase, just because the CDC overreacted to the menigitis outbreak caused by contaminated compounded steroids, which had NOTHING to do with contrast. I'm not going to use a new contrast bottle for each injection because of a political (not scientific) decision by the CDC.
Er...
Uh...

The posting about multi-use vial predates the meningitis outbreak from contaminated steroids and were in response to other outbreaks. They came out starting in 2007.

The CDC did over react and created draconian statements based on erroneous conclusions derived from worst case situations. The CDC tacitly assumes all physicians are *****s who will reuse the same syringe and needle in the vials, and will dilute the vials with additives. Their analysis includes this data, yet their recommendations were draconian at the time, and had the potential to completely shut down patient access to care. With the advent of the $3.00 vial things may be viewed differently now. This did not become available until the past year and a half, therefore the CDC recommendations from 2007 until the time cheaper vials became available demonstrate a governmental funded impractical and extremist expansion of conclusions based on their own data. But remember what the CDC is: they are not a standard of care determining government entity and their proclamations have no legal authority. They are an advisory agency to other governmental agencies and their original mission statement held that view.

i expected this post, algos.

irrespective of ethics of CDC recommendations, the MDV recommendations had nothing to do with NECC/depomedrol fiasco.

we as a group do not look very, er, up to date when we cant get our history straight.

So true...NECC was a disaster. And there have been many recalls from other compounding pharmacies since then. Strange thing is, hospitals use compounding pharmacies for parenteral meds....

supposedly in-hospital pharmacies are more strictly monitored than independent ones... i dont know how, but that is what the chief of pharmacy here has told me time and again...

Er...
Uh...

The posting about multi-use vial predates the meningitis outbreak from contaminated steroids and were in response to other outbreaks. They came out starting in 2007.

This guy's right. Don't multidose and don't use a compound pharmacy. Get the vials for $4 per vial and single dose. Why in the world would you want to take the risk to save a few dollars? It doesn't matter if multidosing caused an infection, what would matter if you get an infection is that you multidosed a vial. That can be very damning in court should it get to that point. Even worse, do not admit to multidosing on a forum like this, very bad idea. The CDC reiterated their policy several times and you shouldn't go against it.