"On Hold" for SUNY Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I went to NY for the interview (12/21), Christian (the admission director of admissions) told us that too many seats were already filled and people "on hold" will be reviewed from time to time.

Is there anyone else who's on hold? Did you guys decide to accept your offer from another school? I'm thinking of submitting my security deposit for another school and then waiting for SUNY for their final decision... but I'm not even sure if I'll be accepted in the end so I don't know if I should have my hopes up.

Members don't see this ad.

When I went to NY for the interview (12/21), Christian (the admission director of admissions) told us that too many seats were already filled and people "on hold" will be reviewed from time to time.

Is there anyone else who's on hold? Did you guys decide to accept your offer from another school? I'm thinking of submitting my security deposit for another school and then waiting for SUNY for their final decision... but I'm not even sure if I'll be accepted in the end so I don't know if I should have my hopes up.

What were your stats? I was on hold and I didn't find out that I didn't get in until May so I would definitely have a back up plan. Luckily for me I had gotten into my number one school and didn't plan on going there anyway but they definitely keep you hanging as long as they can. If it's your number one I would keep in contact with them to show your interested. I hadn't contacted them after being put on hold and that may have been a reason I didn't get in.

My GPA is 3.49 and 330/330 for OAT. Man, I wonder how many people actually already accepted their offer at SUNY..

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say hold onto hope! Accept the other offer, definitely, though. I don't know how SUNY prioritizes people on their "hold" list. I don't know if they'd tell you if you're #1, #3 etc for when people give up their seats. I have a feeling that when Berkeley's decisions come out, multiple people will give up their SUNY seats.

I would definitely deposit at another school if you have an acceptance at least that way you are not banking on SUNY to get back to you. Berkley and Waterloo in Canada sends out decisions late so many people might actually change their mind once those come out but you cannot lose the acceptance you have with the hope that people will change their mind about SUNY. At least if you deposit now then you can choose to get that deposit back should SUNY take you off the hold status and offer you a seat:)

My GPA is 3.49 and 330/330 for OAT. Man, I wonder how many people actually already accepted their offer at SUNY..

definitely do not give up yet, those are competitive stats!

SUNY is a great school and I'm sure you will get in!

Have you heard back from SUNY yet regarding your application? Or are you on hold until April?

I was told that I won't hear back until May!

Oh wow, that's really late. Did they give you the probability of acceptance? I've submitted my deposit at another school but I may still be interested in SUNY. I'll give them a call Monday but I wanted to see what you knew!

So in early May, they're going to review the applicants on hold and designate rankings. After that, some will get accepted, some will get on the wait list, and some will get rejected. If you're on the wait list, you may be admitted anytime before the first day of class (which is very unsettling). But, yeah! I'm really interested in SUNY too. But I'm really happy and excited for ICO too. If I don't get accepted to SUNY, then I'm fine with that.

I just had the same thing happen to me. My OAT scores are the same and a slightly higher GPA. I'm glad I'm not the only one but this doesn't really help the decision process....

I know that it's barely May, but has anybody heard back yet? I was told that the Admissions Committee met at the end of last month and we should expect to hear back shortly after.

Has anyone gotten accepted off being on hold (post march) ?

Has anyone gotten accepted off being on hold (post march) ?
I believe Christian said that the applicants who were placed on hold are ranked to be placed on a wait-list. I dont think on-hold applicants are accepted without being placed on the wait-list.