Options for a 2.75 cGPA Biology student? (dent or med still possible?!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nowiveseen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CANADIAN citizen (who might be able to get US greencard like 6 years from now if I start process).

I have a 2.75 cGPA from a science undergrad.

I went to a carribean (medschool) for a year after I graduated, but then I realized the school was kind of scam, so I quit and came back.

Currently I'm doing a 2-year undergrad business program. (just to get a decent business job if nothing works out)

1. Can I get into Dent possibly still? At the end of this 2-year business program, I can raise my gpa from 2.75 to like 3.02 maybe.

2. If dent school counts repeated courses, my cGPA could be like 3.09 (instead of the 3.02 I listed above).

3. If I can get into dent or med still, what schools would take me? And what kind of DAT or MCAT would I need?

3. Can all dent students get into orgal surgery through their dent school?

4. What other options would you recommend?

I am really hoping to get into dent or meds. (pharm seems like a wayy too saturated field.. which will only have decreased earnings and longer hours.. it's not worth studying for 4 years i feel)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I can't speak to DDS, but you have to demonstrate that you can survive a medical school curriculum. So far, you haven't done that.

Suggest retaking all F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools. If you're boning for the MD, acing a post-back or SMP and MCAT are required.

I can't speak to DDS, but you have to demonstrate that you can survive a medical school curriculum. So far, you haven't done that.

Suggest retaking all F/D/C science coursework and apply to DO schools. If you're boning for the MD, acing a post-back or SMP and MCAT are required.

What kind of MCAT would I need if I took option of redoing coursework for DO? I have no idea how high my GPA would go, but I doubt it'd be above 3.5 or 3.3 even.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am really hoping to get into dent or meds. (pharm seems like a wayy too saturated field.. which will only have decreased earnings and longer hours.. it's not worth studying for 4 years i feel)

You are right about that! We don't need anymore of you guys coming to pharmacy. ;)

Anyway, what kind of grades were responsible for your 2.75 GPA?
(1) A whole ton of B-'s/C's without much A's/B+'s? OR
(2) Did you start off with a bunch of D's/F's in your freshman-sophomore period and upward trended your grades with A's and B+'s in your junior and senior year?

If you belong to group (2), your life will be made a lot easier provided your retakes from here on out are also A's, B+'s. Your 2.75, from the perspective of a D.O. application will take a lot less time to reach the 3.5+ level than if you belong in group (1), if you see my point. Complement this new GPA with an MCAT in the high 20's (or its equivalent using the new 2015 MCAT scoring table) and you'll be fine provided you keep your options open and apply broadly. Out of your options, i.e., MD, DO, DDS/DMD: the D.O. route would be much more desirable than M.D. or DDS/DMD when you factor in time and money commitment.

In either event, I would suggest taking the MCAT and/or DAT BEFORE you commit to a costly/time-commital GPA-repair program via retakes, post-bac or SMP (special masters program). Why do I say this? With your current GPA, it is imperative that you do well on the standardized exams, i.e., 23+ on DAT/high 20s+ on MCAT. Accomplishing this takes most of the hard work out of the way and would certainly motivate you to do well in courses from here on out. Provided you don't do well on the DAT/MCAT, there is little to no chance of gaining entry into medical/dental school and best of all, you can concentrate your efforts on business as opposed to wasting additional time, which by the way, is an excellent plan B.

Hope you can digest this lengthy response and feel free to ask away if a point I addressed was unclear.

Reactions: 1 user
You are right about that! We don't need anymore of you guys coming to pharmacy. ;)

Anyway, what kind of grades were responsible for your 2.75 GPA?
(1) A whole ton of B-'s/C's without much A's/B+'s? OR
(2) Did you start off with a bunch of D's/F's in your freshman-sophomore period and upward trended your grades with A's and B+'s in your junior and senior year?

If you belong to group (2), your life will be made a lot easier provided your retakes from here on out are also A's, B+'s. Your 2.75, from the perspective of a D.O. application will take a lot less time to reach the 3.5+ level than if you belong in group (1), if you see my point. Complement this new GPA with an MCAT in the high 20's (or its equivalent using the new 2015 MCAT scoring table) and you'll be fine provided you keep your options open and apply broadly. Out of your options, i.e., MD, DO, DDS/DMD: the D.O. route would be much more desirable than M.D. or DDS/DMD when you factor in time and money commitment.

In either event, I would suggest taking the MCAT and/or DAT BEFORE you commit to a costly/time-commital GPA-repair program via retakes, post-bac or SMP (special masters program). Why do I say this? With your current GPA, it is imperative that you do well on the standardized exams, i.e., 23+ on DAT/high 20s+ on MCAT. Accomplishing this takes most of the hard work out of the way and would certainly motivate you to do well in courses from here on out. Provided you don't do well on the DAT/MCAT, there is little to no chance of gaining entry into medical/dental school and best of all, you can concentrate your efforts on business as opposed to wasting additional time, which by the way, is an excellent plan B.

Hope you can digest this lengthy response and feel free to ask away if a point I addressed was unclear.

Believe it or not, I started first year with GREAT grades (mostly A's in everything except biology), and then
got mostly C's and B's in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. (I have 2 or 3 D's over the course of my 4 year undergrad).

However, I am in the first year of a short business program currently and have nothing below an A- so far. (if that helps). [actually my cGPA was 2.66 after my Bsc.. it's 2.75 after I just started the first year of this business program from a few good grades I got]

Also, your post was very very informative and you gave me a real good idea with the standardized test advice. But the only caveat to that idea is that I only get 3 years to apply after I write MCAT until many schools say that score is too old. (I'm not sure how old of a DAT score dental schools admit).

So it'd be most efficient to get good grades, and then write DAT/MCAT.. and apply 3 years in a row.
So now I feel a little stuck... lol.. to write DAT/MCAT before classes.. or after?

Only way I would do the retakes first is if your C's and D's were in general chemistry, general physics and/or any related relevant sciences found in the DAT/MCAT. Focus on your biology courses which is also DAT/MCAT heavy - i.e., upper level genetics and physiology. Try to ace those courses. Then, take the exam(s) when you feel you are 100% prepared - ideally at the end of the summer (giving you the entire summer break to study). If you do well on the DAT/MCAT, I doubt you still need to pursue 3 more years of retakes after knocking out the courses I mentioned earlier. Hopefully, the timing falls into place.

If at any point in this process you don't do well, I would say it's safe to move on to other endeavors, such as your alternative business back-up plan. You REALLY need to ace everything from here on out to show the adcoms you aren't messing around. Keep in mind you are competing with a TON of people who have planned, gamed and executed the medical school admissions game since freshman year. I know it sounds harsh, but it is reality.

If you are also applying to dental school, come up with a great reason on why you switched from medicine, as shown in your Caribbean medical school matriculation, to dentistry in your personal statement. Good luck, and hope everything works out for you.