Optometrists opinions on optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AresTheGodOfWar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an undergrad and thinking about doing optometry. I was wondering about the job outlook of optometry. I was wondering if finding a job as an optometrist is difficult. Also, if many people go to private optometrists or are the big chains taking over. I know they have sites and stuff that say optometry's outlook is good, but I would like to see the opinion of optometrists. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently an undergrad and thinking about doing optometry. I was wondering about the job outlook of optometry. I was wondering if finding a job as an optometrist is difficult. Also, if many people go to private optometrists or are the big chains taking over. I know they have sites and stuff that say optometry's outlook is good, but I would like to see the opinion of optometrists. Thank you very much.

A simple search of the archives of this forum will reveal literally dozens of threads where this topic is bantered around ad nauseum. Start with that, and then if you have specific questions, post them then.

A simple search of the archives of this forum will reveal literally dozens of threads where this topic is bantered around ad nauseum. Start with that, and then if you have specific questions, post them then.

Agreed.

Also, as I'm sure KHE would agree, finding a "job" (wally world et al) is easy. Finding a career where you are happy and respected is MUCH more difficult.

To put it in current economic terms, I think optometry is definitely in a recession.

Do a search for "Naive Optometry Students" and some of KHE's synopsis threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
recession..oversupply...i have read and re-read the "naive optometry students" post and the others like it... and I have talked to three optometrists that i have shadowed... but what i really want to know is if any of you sdn optometrists actually think us future grads will be POOR? do you suspect things will get THAT bad?

i am more than fine with making less than dentists and doctors, not only because i believe vision is the most incredible way to help patients, but for a reason i have not seen discussed. i understand optometrists still have A risk of exposure to HIV/hepatitis, but it is NOWHERE near what dentists and surgeons face. that piece of mind is HUGE to me. am i right?

... i understand i probably am still a naive pre-optom.....but i am trying to research my way out of this status

i understand optometrists still have A risk of exposure to HIV/hepatitis, but it is NOWHERE near what dentists and surgeons face. that piece of mind is HUGE to me. am i right?

It's important for any healthcare professional to take precautions protecting them from any infectious diseases. However, those two bugs you mention are pretty tough to catch even in high risk activities, HIV more so than hepatitis. Your odds of contracting one of these viruses as an optometrist is minuscule. Worry about an airplane falling on your head or getting struck by lighting first.

It seems you are too afraid to be in close contact with people. Optometry might not be a good fit for you in this case, unless you are one of those commercial pseudo-doctors who only take care of myopia and astigmatism.

A good exam requires contact. Whether it be pulling down or everting eyelids or holding a child's head against the seat while you instill drops.

Contact is not my fear. Needlesticks/ scalpel cuts are my fear.

Again I ask :

recession..oversupply...i have read and re-read the "naive optometry students" post and the others like it... and I have talked to three optometrists that i have shadowed... but what i really want to know is if any of you sdn optometrists actually think us future grads will be POOR? do you suspect things will get THAT bad?

Again I ask :

1) You will not starve
2) You will not eat out of a dumpster
3) You will not default on your student loans.

However, I believe that the future of optometry will be like pharmacy. The vast majority of optometrists will be working retail hours, in retail locations, for large corporations. The independent business owning OD will be as common as the business owning, independent pharmacist. There will be a few out there, but not that many.

How much less do you expect future optometrists will make with improvements in Laser technologies and "oversupply" ? Enough that school is still a good investment as opposed to a masters health degree? I have NO interest in med school or dental school.

Haha come on KHE predict the future for me : )

and thanks for your help thus far

How much less do you expect future optometrists will make with improvements in Laser technologies and "oversupply" ? Enough that school is still a good investment as opposed to a masters health degree? I have NO interest in med school or dental school.

Haha come on KHE predict the future for me : )

and thanks for your help thus far

Over the long term, I believe that optometry school will always be a good investment, even with oversupply and managed care. I believe that we will always make livings far above the national average. I do also believe however that as we give up more and more control to corporations, our wages will stagnate. They will always be decent, but the opportunities to make the "really big bucks" will become more and more scarce.

Thanks. Do you think working for OMDs is a positive or negative?

Thanks. Do you think working for OMDs is a positive or negative?

That's a personal decision...for me it's a negative. I like owning and running my business. Those opportunities are virtually non-existent when working for ophthalmolgoists.

Also, most optometrists who work for ophthalmologists ended up doing little more than glorified tech work and function with very little independence. Those that do have a level of autonomy are generally very satisfied with their careers so again, it's whatever floats your boat.