Optometry School Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRC190

Reaction score
How much does debt does the average optometry school student accumulate? How long does it take to pay it all off?

Members don't see this ad.

mine is 43K per yr, which is 172K just to the school, not including undergrad. I also have a spouse that pays all of our housing costs but if you don’t, you need to consider those loans too. Most will have 200-300K in debt…
Depends on where you work after graduation, the avg for pay off is 5-7yrs. If you’re frugal with your money

Last edited:
How much does debt does the average optometry school student accumulate? How long does it take to pay it all off?
Depends on which school you go to and what the cost of living is in that area. Tuition alone in my area is ~40K a year. Rent is something like $1K a month or more.

Assuming you have no financial help and don’t have any income while in school, you’d likely be looking at something like $200-240K, which could take a while to pay back if the interest is high. 5+ years, probably. Lots if factors will go into paying the off - how much money you make, how much you spend, how much interest has accumulated, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
The average UHCO student is probably $150k in debt. Luckily, the tuition is reasonable and living costs in Houston are low compared to other cities. I would highly recommend this opto school. I currently attend and my debt will total $100k - scholarships helped.

That all depends on the school, and those costs vary a lot between the schools.

Mine will be approximately 35k$ for the entire program, including the mandatory instruments and with no interest rate accumulating during the program. This is in Canada though.

Hi all!

Looking for insight from Canadian students who took out student line of credits or other personal bank loans in order to attend their optometry program in the States. Please feel free to connect with me if you'd like to share!

Thank you!