Optometry vs. Nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-optometry student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I always thought I wanted to be an optometrist but now I am debating if nursing is a better career field to get into. I don't know too much about nursing but I know that it takes less time and it is cheaper then optometry school. Also, there are a lot of advancement opportunities in the nursing field, and some nurses make the same or more then optometrists. I was wondering if I could get some advice about nursing. I am about to start optometry school in the fall and I am worried that I could be making a mistake in choosing optometry.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, as the pre-optometry forum, we probably don't know a lot about nursing. I hope you have posted on some nurse forums. As for my 2 cents, I personally don't want to become a nurse even though it's easier because often you're lower on the command chain, needing to follow a doctor's instructions. Also depending on where you work, there's a lot more blood, bodily fluids, etc which I was never very comfortable with. It's also my perception that most nurses work in hospitals, which is not an environment I like too much. Of course I might be mistaken on some of these points because I've never shadowed a nurse. Just my perceptions.

Hi, I always thought I wanted to be an optometrist but now I am debating if nursing is a better career field to get into. I don't know too much about nursing but I know that it takes less time and it is cheaper then optometry school. Also, there are a lot of advancement opportunities in the nursing field, and some nurses make the same or more then optometrists. I was wondering if I could get some advice about nursing. I am about to start optometry school in the fall and I am worried that I could be making a mistake in choosing optometry.

You should shadow both and see what type of environment you like most. Don't do nursing just because "it's cheaper now and it may or may not get me more money". If you end up not enjoying nursing, you will not enjoy your life at all. But the same goes for optometry. Make sure it is what you want to do before you invest all your time and money into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also to add to that, don't let other people on the forum from across the country try to convince you what path to take. It is a good idea to get the pros & cons of each career but it is a really bad idea to take a path just because one person on this forum wrote a really elaborate answer as to which career is better. Like I said, the best thing to do is do your own research, shadow to see what you enjoy most.

While you're at it, shadow a PA. I think that would be a pretty sweet gig.

Make sure you know what you're getting into first, neither should be about the money anyways. Shadow both and see which you can see yourself working as.

IF you do decide on nursing, look into the NP masters grad entry programs.

Stick with nursing. I started as a nursing major and switched to Biology, then opto school. Worst decision of my life. If you can get into opto school, you can get into a nurse anesthetist program and make much much more. Operating room nurses make more than optos. A lifelong friend has always made about $25 G/year more than me + benefits with a 3 year RN degree. you can work anywhere. Any city. Any state. Many overseas countries. My mom made a bundle working in Saudi . I did see a job listing in the Middle East for an opto: "Wanted. Optometrist. Must be female, under 30. Send photo." With rare exception, optometry is only recognized in the U.S. And Canada. Everywhere else it is a 4 year glorified optician.

Go with Nursing.
I have a cousin who's a recent OD graduate, and started at 75k. To make things worse, most of friends couldn't get a full time gig after graduating.
ROI for Nursing or even Pharmacy is better than Optometry. Even with the saturation issues, Pharmacists almost always start at 100k+. Unless you can't see yourself being anything but an OD, I wouldn't do it.

Lol pharmacists do not start at 100k+

Most retail chains (CVS, Walgreens etc.) starts Pharmacists off at 100k+. There are CVS in some states that starts pharmacists off at ~125k. If you're starting at less than 100k as a Pharmacist, you're most likely working in a Hospital. Pharmacy has many problems, but in terms of starting salary, it's still better than many health professions. There are pros and cons to this. I personally think THIS is the main reason why everyone's flocking to Pharmacy schools and the field is saturated the way it is.

Reactions: 1 users
Go with Nursing.
I have a cousin who's a recent OD graduate, and started at 75k. To make things worse, most of friends couldn't get a full time gig after graduating.
ROI for Nursing or even Pharmacy is better than Optometry. Even with the saturation issues, Pharmacists almost always start at 100k+. Unless you can't see yourself being anything but an OD, I wouldn't do it.

This is wildly inaccurate. Do your own research before listening to comments like this one. I’m a recent OD grad and every offer that I received was above 120K starting with a 10% bonus as well as full benefits and malpractice covered. With negotiations, i started earning much more than 120K base.

If you're considering nursing, toss PA in to the mix. I know PAs working with Ophthalmology doing exams.

The person with an optometrist cousin whos making 75k is most likely working part time. I'm also a recent OD grad and I accepted an 100k offer before bonus. I know some of my old classmates earn significantly more giving they live in rural towns. I enjoy what I do everyday, my work is very low labor intensive, I work 7 hours/day mostly talking to people, no after hours, no on-calls, rarely miss birthdays or holidays, for me that's more than enough. There are always miserable ODs and happy ODs, I assume the same with nurses. I was very interested in nursing school in college but after a few months of volunteering at a hospital I knew nursing wasn't for me, mostly due to personality reason. Please take this advice and honestly any advice on here with a grain of salt, choose a career that fits your personality and what you want out of your education, not what people on an internet forum tell you to do. Take care and good luck.

I highly recommend you to shadow both jobs, but in terms of work-life balance and pay, I would choose the optometry school. Nursing is not an easy alternative. It may be easier to get in and cheaper but the everyday demands will be entirely different from the optometrist (primary care).
I was deciding between those two as well. I shadowed both occupations and I definitely loved the shadowing experience with the optometrist. I talked my alternative consideration for a nursing path to my sister who is doing the clinical rotation as a medical student, she told me that I should rather try to pursue a P.A. position. From what she has seen in the hospital setting, nursing is a physically and emotionally demanding occupation.
If it's difficult to shadow due to COVID-19, looking for YouTube videos may be helpful as well(like what I wish I knew before becoming a ... my day in life as a ...).