Optometry vs Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myliham

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my story guys.

You would think that I would be happy now that I have been accepted at NOVA and waitlisted at Touro; however, after talking to my father I am starting to think perhaps Optometry is the best option for me. I have yet to make up my mind.

My long term plan is to go back to my home country, a third world country, and make a difference in people's lives by giving them a health service. I am not sure opening a pharmacy clinic would be as satisfying as having your own optmetry clinic, in a country of 80 million, there are less than a thousand optometrist.

My question to you guys is that would be worth it to by-pass my acceptance to Pharmacy School this year and try my luck next yeat with Optometry School? Would being accepted to Pharmacy school this year give me high hopes to being accepted to Optometry Programs, such as to UC Berkkeley's Program (that is where I attended my undergrad). What would you do if you were in my shoes? I don't have a lot of time as the NOVA needs my response very soon.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Do some soul-searching. Is optometry what you really want? Is it the only thing that you see yourself doing? Why did you want pharmacy?

Just think about these things, if you are sure you want to become an optometrist and nothing else and pharmacy will not make you happy then go ahead, and decline the acceptance to Nova.

If any uncertainty, then go to Nova Pharmacy school. I think as a career that pharmacy is probably more stable than optometry. But it is up to you and your true passion.

myliham said:
Here is my story guys.

You would think that I would be happy now that I have been accepted at NOVA and waitlisted at Touro; however, after talking to my father I am starting to think perhaps Optometry is the best option for me. I have yet to make up my mind.

My long term plan is to go back to my home country, a third world country, and make a difference in people's lives by giving them a health service. I am not sure opening a pharmacy clinic would be as satisfying as having your own optmetry clinic, in a country of 80 million, there are less than a thousand optometrist.

My question to you guys is that would be worth it to by-pass my acceptance to Pharmacy School this year and try my luck next yeat with Optometry School? Would being accepted to Pharmacy school this year give me high hopes to being accepted to Optometry Programs, such as to UC Berkkeley's Program (that is where I attended my undergrad). What would you do if you were in my shoes? I don't have a lot of time as the NOVA needs my response very soon.

Thank you

When you say you want to go back to your home country do you mean permanently? What country is it? What are their optometry laws like? Do they "allow" optometry? Many developing countries do not. What part of optometry do you like? What are the leading causes of avoidable blindness in your home country? If cataract your influence will be slightly less than if they are still fighting trachoma, refractive error blindness, childhood blindness, etc. What drew you to pharmacy? Contact Dr. Leasher OD, MPH at the NOVA OD school and see if she can meet with you to talk about optometry in a developing country. (She lived and worked in Honduras and is active in the UNESCO Chair in Visual Health and Development).

I applaud your desire to work in a developing country and wish you luck on your tough decision.

Hi my name is Aly and I am about to go to Optometry School and I can't help but notice that everyone seems to say that there is no stability in optometry, I cant understand why they are saying this and it has been seriously affecting my decision...I was accepted to medical school and chose optometry over it because it was more flexible and was a shorter program that interested me just as much, does anyone no much about whether optometry is declining in terms of stability and other such areas?

Any help with this would be great
Thanks!