optometry vs podiatry vs pharmacy competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is entry to the schools for each of these professions? and how stressful are the professions themselves? Im a current college student who is interested in the health field, but doesnt want to dedicate their life to their work the way my MD sister and father have. Also, im a good student, but not exceptional (3.2ish gpa at a top 25 college), and i sometimes struggle mightily with classes like physics, so i want to work towards a goal that is achievable for. are any of these professions achievable for someone with my current stats

Members don't see this ad.

don't worry about competitiveness. you don't want to end up in the easiest profession and hate it. go into something you love, not just because its the easiest to get into. i would recommend a lot of time researching, shadowing, and thought into each profession and then you'll have your answer as to where you should go.

as far as optometry goes, if you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

I agree, pharmacy is EXTREMELY different from optometry and podiatry. So I would definitely do some shadowing in ALL the fields before making any kind of decision. Podiatry is also one of those weird fields, like optometry, where the doctor not only relies on his services for income but the sale of orthopedic aids. So do some real research, your MD family will probably be able to give you an idea, albeit limited, of all the professions since I'm sure they refer to each of them every once in a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
As mentioned in podiatry forum. please research first. then shadow ro see if you even enjoy the field.

Here's one way to look at it...there are only 9 podiatry schools, around 20 optometry schools, and about 100 pharm schools...so you might have an easier time getting into pharm school since there are more spots open

Here's one way to look at it...there are only 9 podiatry schools, around 20 optometry schools, and about 100 pharm schools...so you might have an easier time getting into pharm school since there are more spots open

9? That's it? For some reason I thought there might be more.

Re: Pharm School - I hope you're good at Ochem. Like...really good.

9? That's it? For some reason I thought there might be more.

Re: Pharm School - I hope you're good at Ochem. Like...really good.

You'll need to be good at physics for taking the OAT too.

You're going about this completely the wrong way. These are three totally different professions which you need to gain some experience in before you do anything else. Good luck.

Not trying to troll here... but this logic is terrible.... the number of schools is based on the need for the professions. Think of how many pharmacists are out there vs opto and pod.... Every major grocery store, hostpital, walmart, all have many pharmacists working for them on top of the hundreds of independent dealers. Think of it this way pharmacists are filling prescriptions for every type of doctor in all of medicine...

If you want to know truly how competitive it is, i might suggest midwestern.edu.... they have a med, dent, pharm, pod, opto, and a variety of other professional schools. Look at the average GPA and the number of applicants... that would give you a fair example of how competitive each program is. I know for example that the opto program at midwestern had about 500 applicants vs the 2800 applicants for the dent program. Now this is only one school, however it is one of the few universities that has alot of prof programs and i feel it is a good representation of all. I researched and shadowed many professions before deciding on dentistry.

Bottom line... asses you abilities and interests then go from there.

Good luck!!! :D:D:D

Not trying to troll here... but this logic is terrible.... the number of schools is based on the need for the professions. Think of how many pharmacists are out there vs opto and pod.... Every major grocery store, hostpital, walmart, all have many pharmacists working for them on top of the hundreds of independent dealers. Think of it this way pharmacists are filling prescriptions for every type of doctor in all of medicine...

If you want to know truly how competitive it is, i might suggest midwestern.edu.... they have a med, dent, pharm, pod, opto, and a variety of other professional schools. Look at the average GPA and the number of applicants... that would give you a fair example of how competitive each program is. I know for example that the opto program at midwestern had about 500 applicants vs the 2800 applicants for the dent program. Now this is only one school, however it is one of the few universities that has alot of prof programs and i feel it is a good representation of all. I researched and shadowed many professions before deciding on dentistry.

Bottom line... asses you abilities and interests then go from there.

Good luck!!! :D:D:D

decent logic, but i would have to disagree with the last statement. go for what you could see yourself doing the rest of your life and enjoying. don't settle for something "easier" just because you are scared about not getting into what you really want to do.

Think of how many pharmacists are out there vs opto and pod.... Every major grocery store, hostpital, walmart, all have many pharmacists working for them on top of the hundreds of independent dealers.

Likely, grocery stores like walmart/safeway probably employ no more than 8 pharmacists (and even 8 is only for really busy locations), half of them being part time. Pharm TECHS are a different story, but you only need like...one pharmacist overseeing every 2-3 techs. Small places like Rite Aid/Longs only have 1 or 2 pharmacists on the job at any given time. Kaiser/Hospitals = way more on staff at once, but not so much for smaller pharmacies. :-(

My mother is a pharmacist, a doctor of it no less, and when I asked her to give her honest opinion she advised that it'd be a wiser choice nowadays to opt for another respected medical profession such as podiatry, dentistry, or optometry. I am applying to optometry school and am SUPER pumped about it bc I shadowed a retinal disease optometrist woken alongside an MD. The MD is always extremely busy and has absolutely no downtime and is stressed 24/7 which, as much as I've obsessed over being a physician since my youth, I want to experience more in life than the inside of a clinic. I'm not bashing ANY of the professions bc they all aim to help people and take care of their medical needs. So like everyone said, you NEED to go experience what a day in the life of each of these is like. Srsly I had NO idea the extent optometry went until I shadowed my now boss at the retinal disease clinic. While there I saw the diagnostic technology, patient range, level of exposure to bodily fluids etc etc etc...and it sparked an internal fire and drive and absolute LOVE for optometry and made me certain beyond a shadow of a doubt it was for me. And now it's not a job like a chore, I get so excited about work and can't wait everyday to get there bc there always something new I that I get excited everyday about going to work....yeah I know it sounds ridiculous but I do bc I alwayssss learn something cool and get excited about becoming one myself! So I promise promise promiseeeee the ONLY way to find your niche in all these healthcare professions or any other in fact is to experience a day in the life of them. So get out there and spend a day with each and you won't have to ask us about it bc everything will fall into place on it's own and you'll have a long fruitful exciting career bc it'll be the one that kinda chose you! Good luck and don't be scared to ask these ppl to shadow bc
I swearrrrr they welcome it bc they to were right in your shoes not too long ago!

Reactions: 1 user
There is projected to be a surplus of pharmacists in the near future which will lead to unemployment and decreased wages. I'd stay away from pharmacy.

You're going about this completely the wrong way. These are three totally different professions which you need to gain some experience in before you do anything else. Good luck.

I think the OP is merely interested in these 3 professions because of the money.

I think the OP is merely interested in these 3 professions because of the money.

First off.... that is a complete assumption, that could be said about anyone who is interested in any field of medicine.... we have no idea of the OP's intentions of posting... just give advice.

Also I think that it is completely acceptable to be interested in a certain field because of the paycheck. Sure you want to enjoy what you do, however there is nothing wrong with wanting financial security. Being financially secure just opens up more doors for a fulfilling life anyway... ie: wife, children, church, volunteering, etc.

Also on a second note of "the money" side of medicinal careers.... i wonder how many of us would be interested in pharm, opto, dent, med etc if we were only going to be payed 30k a year?!?! I know i wouldn't be.... i feel like there is nothing shallow about wanting to provide the best life possible for my family.

Cheers!! :D:D:D

Money should not be the main motivator, but I know that many of the orthopedic surgeons that I scribed with would not be in the field if they were making 50k for what they did. Money is always a factor and will always be in the mix when choosing a profession.

Im a current college student who is interested in the health field, but doesnt want to dedicate their life to their work the way my MD sister and father have.
Please dedicate your life to your work if you want to work in healthcare. Your way of thinking is very immature.

I sure hope OP made a good choice a decade ago.

Reactions: 1 user