Oregon State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To start a direct message, click on the person's username under their profile picture, click start a conversation. Or you can scroll to the top of the screen, put your cursor over "inbox", then click start a conversation and type in the username of the person with which you wish to PM.
Ah ok thank you! And thanks sarakittykat :)

Members don't see this ad.

low key losing my mind.....applied to 9 schools.....officially rejected from 1....others have heard from oregon, washington, and midwestern, all of which ive applied too, heard nothing so far....really not looking good for me :unsure:
Don't worry! One of my friends (who goes to Tufts now) applied to 10 schools and didn't hear back from anywhere until after January (while her friends were hearing back from many of the schools she applied to)... but she ended up getting 8 offers! There is still time–don't fret. :happy:

Reactions: 1 user
My Wyoming thread (that I mentioned in the Washington thread) received an e-mail from Oregon as a WICHE acceptance. She also e-mailed WICHE to tell them that she has now received two offers that hinge on her getting the funding and that they needed to get in gear. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted as OOS!!!!! Two questions:

1. What is WICHE?

2. I'm looking for info on OSU. I've looked up top 10 vet school lists, but I don't really know how they generate those anyways.

1. What is WICHE?

2. I'm looking for info on OSU. I've looked up top 10 vet school lists, but I don't really know how they generate those anyways.
1) WICHE is a contract seat with specific states: Arizona, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota,or Wyoming. This means you can potentially get IS tuition if you are from these states. If not, you got accepted as an OOS (out-of-state) resident and will have to pay the OOS costs.
2) Rankings are based on internal rankings and are essentially useless. They will not be able to tell you how great of a school OSU is what-so-ever, and nobody that I know of puts any stock in them. To me, you should rank schools by 1) Cost (Seriously, 100,000 difference doesn't seem like a lot.... until the interest kicks in and your now talking about a $300,000 difference...). In my mind this triumphs over most everything else and 2) Fit. Go tour the school, talk to students, professors, etc. Do you like the curriculum? The location? What kind of clinical rotations do they have, and what kind of opportunities do they have?

1) WICHE is a contract seat with specific states: Arizona, Hawaii, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota,or Wyoming. This means you can potentially get IS tuition if you are from these states. If not, you got accepted as an OOS (out-of-state) resident and will have to pay the OOS costs.
2) Rankings are based on internal rankings and are essentially useless. They will not be able to tell you how great of a school OSU is what-so-ever, and nobody that I know of puts any stock in them. To me, you should rank schools by 1) Cost (Seriously, 100,000 difference doesn't seem like a lot.... until the interest kicks in and your now talking about a $300,000 difference...). In my mind this triumphs over most everything else and 2) Fit. Go tour the school, talk to students, professors, etc. Do you like the curriculum? The location? What kind of clinical rotations do they have, and what kind of opportunities do they have?

Thank You! I don't qualify for WICHE unfortunately. That would be nice. I am from Minnesota and it's tough making the decision of whether or not I want to be away from home again (went to undergrad at Iowa State). I have so many connection in MN and IA and I wonder if I really want to start all over again. But at the same time I don't want to wish I would have tried somewhere new. It's such a hard thing. And 4 years really is a long time in your life.

Thank You! I don't qualify for WICHE unfortunately. That would be nice. I am from Minnesota and it's tough making the decision of whether or not I want to be away from home again (went to undergrad at Iowa State). I have so many connection in MN and IA and I wonder if I really want to start all over again. But at the same time I don't want to wish I would have tried somewhere new. It's such a hard thing. And 4 years really is a long time in your life.
You'd be surprised how fast four years actually is. I thought the same thing when I was not in school yet, but it has flown by. :)

WICHE actually includes the 11 western states and potentially your own state pays the difference between instate
And out of state tuition if funds are available. It applies to the states in which there does not exist a public veterinary school.

Now that I've put more thought into it, the chances of getting into Oregon are so incredibly low as an unsupported OOS applicant, it may have been better for me to apply to a larger school and use my money a little bit wiser. I visited last year though and I really liked it, so of course I applied. Talk about retrospect through this whole process, I can completely understand why many people apply several times to veterinary school. It's like a game you need to play very smartly in order to give yourself the best odds.

Reactions: 1 users

1. What is WICHE?

When did you get the acceptance email?

Just as an FYI, OOS and WICHE compete for the same number of spots. They are essentially lumped together. WICHE is still treated as OOS. Last year, they had 857 OOS (including WICHE) applicants for 16 spots. There is no indication that being wiche or oos has your application treated any differently. WICHE just implies that your home state may or may not pay the difference between in and out of state tuition.

Last year, they had 857 OOS (including WICHE) applicants for 16 spots. There is no indication that being wiche or oos has your application treated any differently. WICHE just implies that your home state may or may not pay the difference between in and out of state tuition.

LOL, welp :whoa:

Members don't see this ad :)
wait wait wait.....they only have 56 seats? Bruh......:bang:

Now that I've put more thought into it, the chances of getting into Oregon are so incredibly low as an unsupported OOS applicant, it may have been better for me to apply to a larger school and use my money a little bit wiser. I visited last year though and I really liked it, so of course I applied. Talk about retrospect through this whole process, I can completely understand why many people apply several times to veterinary school. It's like a game you need to play very smartly in order to give yourself the best odds.

I feel the same way as you! I don't think I am competitive enough OOS applicant now that I see how few people they accept for OOS/WICHE. I think I was just overly hopeful when I was applying, but as people are getting their acceptances, I can see why I haven't gotten one (probably won't either considering my stats).

Reactions: 3 users
I feel the same way as you! I don't think I am competitive enough OOS applicant now that I see how few people they accept for OOS/WICHE. I think I was just overly hopeful when I was applying, but as people are getting their acceptances, I can see why I haven't gotten one (probably won't either considering my stats).

I feel this to the core :shy:

Only one accepted person has posted their stats as OOS. Mine are significantly lower, and I was still accepted. They could still be sending out decisions and waitlist offers. You never know.

willing to stoop to bribery. I make preeeetttty good cookies ;);););)

A vet school that isn't increasing their class size... I call this an absolute miracle. Truly something to be grateful for.
When I visited, my tour guide told me they are getting pressure to increase their class size but that a lot of the faculty are pushing to keep it the same.

I just received an email! I'm an alternate.

I just received an email! I'm an alternate.
Same here. Disappointed, but still thankful to be an alternate. Anyone know how many alternates there are? I have a feeling it's a lot :confused:

I feel the same way. Happy, yet sad. Last year there were a lot of alternates according to the threads.

Just got the alternate email. Anyone know if they also send out straight rejections or everyone an alternate?

My daughter just received an 'alternate' notification from Oregon. We are out of state. Any idea of how many receive this alternate status? Should she be encouraged?

Just got the alternate email. Anyone know if they also send out straight rejections or everyone an alternate?

I would assume there will be rejections. I would bet maybe 75 to 100 alternates and the rest as rejections. Probably 50-100 acceptances (since the class is so small). So that leaves around 700 rejections.

I just received an alternate email as well.

I was looking at last year's page, and OSU does send out rejections. I wish there was a way of knowing just how many alternates there are, but I doubt that's possible.

My daughter just received an 'alternate' notification from Oregon. We are out of state. Any idea of how many receive this alternate status? Should she be encouraged?

Alternate here too. By the looks of it, they've sent out a lot of alternate emails. It's encouraging in that, if Oregon were a larger school, and/or if they interviewed, us alternates probably would have at least gotten interviews. But I personally am not going to let it give me too much hope, just knowing how small Oregon is. I wouldn't have even applied to a school with only 50-something seats total as OOS, but I visited the campus recently and fell in love. I was expecting rejection, so I'm content with alternate.

I just received an alternate email as well.

I was looking at last year's page, and OSU does send out rejections. I wish there was a way of knowing just how many alternates there are, but I doubt that's possible.
last year there were 90 alternates for OOS, I was an alternate and I emailed and asked. I haven't gotten an email yet about my status, I hope I get at least alternate

Has anyone heard about in state interviews? Like everyone, I'm kinda freaking out now :/

last year there were 90 alternates for OOS, I was an alternate and I emailed and asked. I haven't gotten an email yet about my status, I hope I get at least alternate
Ah, for some reason it didn't occur to me that we could just email and ask. Hah. Thank you for sharing.

Good luck to you!

I'm OOS and I just got the alternate email too! I had calculated the class stats from prior years and the pattern was something like 800 OOS apps for 16 spots-- a 2% chance of acceptance. With those odds, I was fully anticipating rejection. :heckyeah:
Congrats to those accepted! I've heard wonderful things about Corvallis!

I'm OOS and I just got the alternate email too! I had calculated the class stats from prior years and the pattern was something like 800 OOS apps for 16 spots-- a 2% chance of acceptance. With those odds, I was fully anticipating rejection. :heckyeah:
Congrats to those accepted! I've heard wonderful things about Corvallis!

That's a 2% chance of matriculation, not acceptance. They obviously accept more than 16 people for 16 spots out of 857 OOS applicants.

Just got an email from Tess Collins in administration. ~100 alternates, they are not releasing ranking

Tess Collins has been preemptively including the information since she has been getting so many questions about the alternates. Here's the text for anyone who is interested:
I have gotten numerous questions about the number of people on the alternate list, so I wanted to share that we have approximately 100 applicants on the alternate list at this time. We will not be assigning a rank to individual applicants, so there is not a possibility of sharing your placement on the alternate list.

Thanks! ^^ So does this mean it is all luck from here? they will randomly pull from the waitlist?:nailbiting:

Accepted OOS! Got an email on Friday. I'm super excited about getting in, but if i get into my in-state, i will definitely decline the OSU offer.....

Stats: Overall GPA: 3.79 Last 45: 3.87 Science: 3.84 GRE: Verbal: 166 (96%), Quant: 161 (80%), Writing: 4.5

Hoping to get out for one of the accepted students weekends to meet some of the other potential C/O 2020 folks!

I got the OOS alternate e-mail too!

I'm wondering if they have emailed all accepted and alternate students already? Cause seems like accepted folks have gotten notified already and alternate emails have been sent out today. I haven't heard anything from them.... Usually I take no news as good news, but the only emails left to sent out are rejection emails, so.... :depressed:

I'm wondering if they have emailed all accepted and alternate students already? Cause seems like accepted folks have gotten notified already and alternate emails have been sent out today. I haven't heard anything from them.... Usually I take no news as good news, but the only emails left to sent out are rejection emails, so.... :depressed:
I'm in the same boat. But I got on the alternate list last year, and I have improved my application this year, so I would think that I would still be a good alternate candidate? I hope so!!!

Also alternate OOS! I was told there are 100 alternates & no ranking!
The ones got accepted have to go for interviews?
Congrats:)

Thanks! ^^ So does this mean it is all luck from here? they will randomly pull from the waitlist?:nailbiting:
I asked the question "How are alternates selected if they are not ranked?"
And got this response:
If positions become available, the admissions committee will review the alternate candidates and select those that they feel are the best fit for the class.

Not sure what to make of it. Closing their eyes and throwing darts? Heh.

Also alternate OOS! I was told there are 100 alternates & no ranking!
The ones got accepted have to go for interviews?
Congrats:)

No. There are no OOS interviews. Only IS.

That's a 2% chance of matriculation, not acceptance. They obviously accept more than 16 people for 16 spots out of 857 OOS applicants.

lol totally discounted that whole part. durr. thanks for the clarification kata :p

I'm in the same boat. But I got on the alternate list last year, and I have improved my application this year, so I would think that I would still be a good alternate candidate? I hope so!!!
DITTO!

I asked the question "How are alternates selected if they are not ranked?"
And got this response:
If positions become available, the admissions committee will review the alternate candidates and select those that they feel are the best fit for the class.

Not sure what to make of it. Closing their eyes and throwing darts? Heh.

They must have us at least roughly ranked if that's the case. Maybe they have 20 or so of us that they'll choose from first, and so on. I hope it isn't just at random...

Hey just wanted to update everyone who has not heard anything yet. I called the administration today as I have not heard from them and they told me that my application in still under review, and they will probably come to a decision soon. She said that they will send out a status update by the end of this week so I should lookout for an email about my status around that time. >_<

good luck to everyone <3