Oregon State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey just wanted to update everyone who has not heard anything yet. I called the administration today as I have not heard from them and they told me that my application in still under review, and they will probably come to a decision soon. She said that they will send out a status update by the end of this week so I should lookout for an email about my status around that time. >_<

good luck to everyone <3
THANK YOU!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey just wanted to update everyone who has not heard anything yet. I called the administration today as I have not heard from them and they told me that my application in still under review, and they will probably come to a decision soon. She said that they will send out a status update by the end of this week so I should lookout for an email about my status around that time. >_<

good luck to everyone <3
hopefully this means we are all really close to acceptance, and they have a few that they are still choosing from!!! and hopefully we all at least get on the alternate list

Reactions: 1 user
just got the rejection email, good luck to everyone on the alternate list

Members don't see this ad :)
just got the rejection email, good luck to everyone on the alternate list

Yep same here. I'm out of state though and already accepted to Midwestern so w/e Oregon State - your loss! :D

Just got the rejection email as well. Must have been even more competitive this year since I was on the alternate list last year and I have improved my application quite a bit this year :(

Rejected :( it does seem really competitive. They have a smaller class size.

Aww rejection emails went out, I just got mine. Shake it off everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
What a day! my reaction in lab took all day and was a fail at the end and I Just got my rejection email as well . Tomorrow is another day!

Good luck to the alternate list

Rejection as well while driving back to Denver.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know anything about OSU's waitlist movement? Do you think there is quite a bit of flow? Or maybe only one or two get pulled from the waitlist? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about OSU's waitlist movement? Do you think there is quite a bit of flow? Or maybe only one or two get pulled from the waitlist? :(
I was on the waitlist last year, got denied this year ): but last year they pulled only about 3 or 4 off the OOS waitlist of about 90 people, so there isn't a real good chance of getting pulled off, but if you have really good stats then you probably have a chance.

gym00721, Thanks so much! Thats all I was looking for :) .. although I don't have the best of stats soooo I get I won't hold my breath this year. I'm sorry for your rejection but hope you get in somewhere else!

Hey guys, I was accepted as an OOS applicant with potential WICHE funding. I am highly considering going to Oregon State but have not even visited the school/town/state. I was wondering if anybody could refer me to the better/safer areas to live in Corvallis?
Oh and sorry to those not accepted, keep your hopes up and I am sure you will get in at another school!

Hey guys, I was accepted as an OOS applicant with potential WICHE funding. I am highly considering going to Oregon State but have not even visited the school/town/state. I was wondering if anybody could refer me to the better/safer areas to live in Corvallis?
Oh and sorry to those not accepted, keep your hopes up and I am sure you will get in at another school!
I was on the alternate list last year so was looking at places and found the retreat at corvallis and it looked like a really nice place, and really close to campus

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm a current student at OSU CVM and I figured I'd throw in my two cents. The retreat is okay, but it is populated by noisy undergrads and it quite expensive. It is, however, just a 15 minute walk to school so there's that. Creekside Apartments are south-west of school and require a short drive, but they are cheaper and just a short walk from Safeway. If you are looking to rent a room in a house, the North-West Corvallis area is quite nice. The first few blocks north of school are Frat Land or I'd look for places that are north of Harrison Blvd. South-East Corvallis can be a bit sketchy, but if you are far enough off the main road it's fine and much cheaper. And whatever you do, do NOT rent at the Filmore Inn. They advertise themselves as studio apartments, but they are actually just really poor-quality quads with horrible management. The best of luck making your decision!

Hi

I was selected as an alternate. I had some questions about the alternate list so I emailed Tess and this is what she said...so basically no one's going to hear anything until after April 15.

"Thanks for checking in. We do have two separate alternate lists, one for non-resident and WICHE students and one for Oregon residents. We have approximately 100 students on our non-resident/WICHE alternate list. We do accept more students than we have positions for on the non-resident side, expecting that many of our first round offers will be declined. The number of alternate positions we are able to offer depends on the year, but we generally do make a decent number of additional offers. The alternate list is not ranked at this time as many of the folks on the alternate list will accept offers elsewhere before we are able to make any offers, so the admissions committee will reconvene after April 15th to reassess the list."

Only one accepted person has posted their stats as OOS. Mine are significantly lower, and I was still accepted. They could still be sending out decisions and waitlist offers. You never know.

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm on the waitlist and my stats are not that great...but I have some serious extenuating circumstances in undergrad so maybe they considered that while looking at my app.

What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm on the waitlist and my stats are not that great...but I have some serious extenuating circumstances in undergrad so maybe they considered that while looking at my app.
I recently posted in the successful applicants thread recently with my whole experience. Check there!!

I was wondering if anyone else was selected as an IS alternate? Does anyone know if anyone actually has a chance of getting pulled off this list? thanks

I recently posted in the successful applicants thread recently with my whole experience. Check there!!

Cool that's pretty similar to mine as well. My science gpa is slightly lower though. Looks like you were accepted into great schools. What school is your first choice?

I'm really considering Oregon if I get some WICHE funding! :)

Cool! I hope I make it off the waitlist! I want to move to Oregon so bad and so does my boyfriend. I'm from Hawaii but if I am offered the Wichie funding I'm not going to take it because I don't want to move back to Hawaii and practice for 4 years. My friend is a Hawaii resident and applied to Wichie schools but she said it's awful because usually you don't find out till the summer if you were awarded the funding or not so she just had to make a blind decision on a school not knowing if she got the funding. But hopfully arazona tells you sooner!!!

Cool! I hope I make it off the waitlist! I want to move to Oregon so bad and so does my boyfriend. I'm from Hawaii but if I am offered the Wichie funding I'm not going to take it because I don't want to move back to Hawaii and practice for 4 years. My friend is a Hawaii resident and applied to Wichie schools but she said it's awful because usually you don't find out till the summer if you were awarded the funding or not so she just had to make a blind decision on a school not knowing if she got the funding. But hopfully arazona tells you sooner!!!

Yeah, the whole going back to AZ to practice is annoying. You can also pay WICHE back after school is finished. I've spent a lot time in Hawaii. I even lived there briefly. Good luck to you! I hope you hear good news about getting off of the alternate list.

Yeah, the whole going back to AZ to practice is annoying. You can also pay WICHE back after school is finished. I've spent a lot time in Hawaii. I even lived there briefly. Good luck to you! I hope you hear good news about getting off of the alternate list.

How does Wiche work? What tuition is it? You have to work for four years at your original hometown for four years after?

How does Wiche work? What tuition is it? You have to work for four years at your original hometown for four years after?
IF you live in a state that supports it, and IF you get it, you pay in-state tuition for 4 years with the requirement to return to your home state for 2 years.

IF you live in a state that supports it, and IF you get it, you pay in-state tuition for 4 years with the requirement to return to your home state for 2 years.
You are required to return to your state for 4 years. 2 years if you choose to work in a rural/underserved area of your state.

You are required to return to your state for 4 years. 2 years if you choose to work in a rural/underserved area of your state.
Serious question, because I never knew about WICHE stuff (IN resident) but what's the penalty if you don't go back to your home state after graduation?

If you don't go back, they'll charge you the money they paid for you to go to school. So I'm sure it's made pretty clear when you are back practicing in the home state so you don't have to pay.

Oh boy. Wow! Thanks for the info!

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm a current student at OSU CVM and I figured I'd throw in my two cents. The retreat is okay, but it is populated by noisy undergrads and it quite expensive. It is, however, just a 15 minute walk to school so there's that. Creekside Apartments are south-west of school and require a short drive, but they are cheaper and just a short walk from Safeway. If you are looking to rent a room in a house, the North-West Corvallis area is quite nice. The first few blocks north of school are Frat Land or I'd look for places that are north of Harrison Blvd. South-East Corvallis can be a bit sketchy, but if you are far enough off the main road it's fine and much cheaper. And whatever you do, do NOT rent at the Filmore Inn. They advertise themselves as studio apartments, but they are actually just really poor-quality quads with horrible management. The best of luck making your decision!

Thank you very much for this helpful information. I have officially accepted the offer so I am sure I will see you around campus next fall. :)

And Thank you gym00721 for the information about The Retreat as well.

Hey just wondering if anyone who's been accepted to OSU as well as other schools and have decided to declined their offers to OSU? Just seeing if any of of us waitlisters have a chance still haha. Also are you an out of state student or an in state student? They have 2 different waitlists. Congrats to everyone who got accepted to OSU and other schools! :))))

So it looks like I'm officially OSU c/o 2020. Anybody going to the open houses coming up?
And does anybody know if Oregon lets you establish residency after year 1? This was a big selling point of some other schools like WSU.
Edit: nvm I guess if you take 8+ credits you don't qualify for residency and that sweet tuition discount.

Last edited:
Any current students/new students who have visited OSU know how necessary it is to have a car in Corvallis? I would be flying in (therefore wouldn't have my car there!) I've never been to Oregon so not sure what to expect. Are there housing options within walking distance to the vet school?

Thanks in advance!

I visited Oregon on the open house day. I was honestly surprised at the amount of student housing right near campus, especially North and North-East of campus. Cars are not necessary. One might help if you want to drive out to the surrounding clinics though, but that can wait until third or fourth year.

Reactions: 1 user
Any current students/new students who have visited OSU know how necessary it is to have a car in Corvallis? I would be flying in (therefore wouldn't have my car there!) I've never been to Oregon so not sure what to expect. Are there housing options within walking distance to the vet school?

Thanks in advance!

A car isn't necessary. There's housing within walking distance. A good number of people also bike, and the bus system is pretty good. Be warned if you're a fair weather biker though--it rains like 70% of the year here.

Is there a FB group for our class?
Yes, Tess should have sent you an invite once you accepted your offer through that email survey. If not I can just add you if you want.

Sadly, Ill be giving up my OOS seat. Good luck at OSU everyone!