Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My final exam on my Org. Chem II class will be a comprehensive standardized test prepared by the ACS, and I thought that it would be good practice for the OAT.
There?s gotta be thousands of different reactions and mechanisms. How did you study so much stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Although OChem has a lot of mechanisms, OAT only tests you on a limited number of them. Here is what they cover on the OChem section:

Organic Chemistry: Mechanism (Energetics, Structure, and Stability of Intermediates) - SN1, SN2, elimination, addition, free radical, and substitution mechanisms

Chemical and Physical Properties of Molecules and Organic Analysis - inter and intra molecular forces, separation, introductory infrared spectroscopy, 1HNMR spectroscopy, 13CNMR, chemical identification, stability, solubility, and polarity

Stereochemistry - conforma?tional analysis, optical activity, chirality, chiral centers, planes of symmetry, enantiomers, diastereomers, and meso compounds

Nomenclature - IUPAC rules, and functional groups in molecules

Individual Reactions of the Major Functional Groups and Combinations of Reactions to Synthesize Compounds

Acid-Base Chemistry - resonance effects, inductive results, and prediction of products and equilibria

Aromatics and Bonding - concept of aromaticity, resonance, atomic orbitals, molecular orbitals, hybridization, bond angles, and bond lengths.

If you want the complete listing of ALL topics that are covered in OAT you can find it here:

https://www.ada.org/oat/oat2003.doc

Cool, thanks :)