Ortho Match Day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrojanDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
12 days, 20 hours, and 3 minutes until that famous moment that will change people's lives (for better or worse).. One of the most annoying questions that friends and family ask is "When will you be done with school?". I tell them I have X months of dental school left and hopefully 2-3 more years for specializing. Their response is always: "Wow, it takes that long?". I'm sure this question will arise a number of times this thurs, but hopefully I will have the answer in less that two weeks and will be able to share with everyone over Christmas. I feel for you phase 2 match people.. Good luck everyone on the match and for studying for part 2s at the same time.

Members don't see this ad.

The best thing you can do is not think about it. I really believe that even if you don't match, it's not the end of the world. Matching into ortho would be great, but always remember that the worst thing that can happen to you is you have to be a general dentist and have a six figure income. Doesn't sound like a bad alternative to me.

is it hard to match in ortho? wait.. this is dental... doh!!! sorry...

Members don't see this ad :)
2 days, 5 hours, 4 minutes to go.. I hear the e-mail comes out at 9:00 AM EST mon morning but people in the past have received it 15 minutes before this time. The plan? Get up at 5:30 AM over here and hit refresh until it pops up.

TrojanDDS said:
2 days, 5 hours, 4 minutes to go.. I hear the e-mail comes out at 9:00 AM EST mon morning but people in the past have received it 15 minutes before this time. The plan? Get up at 5:30 AM over here and hit refresh until it pops up.

wow that is earlier than i thought. crap, i am working the emergency clinic at that time. i can just see myself, one hand on the extraction forceps, one on the refresh button. this is too much drama.

i debonded my first ortho case yesterday afternoon, i think i was happier about it than my patient! it was a molar uprighting, so the results are probably more interesting to me than her cause im the one who has to prep the fpd. it feels great to finish one though. yay!

cheers to everyone waiting on the email monday! i plan on being either sleepless or inebriated on sunday night. i am really scared! :eek: :scared:

I Wish Everyone All The Best And May Ur Dreams Come True.

TrojanDDS said:

more like you'll be hitting Refresh for another 3 hrs cuz ortho Match results don't come out until 12 noon EST. :D

tooth_sleuth said:
more like you'll be hitting Refresh for another 3 hrs cuz ortho Match results don't come out until 12 noon EST. :D

Yea I heard the e-mail comes 3 hours before the website results gets posted. Can someone who has gone through a match day verify this?

TrojanDDS said:
Yea I heard the e-mail comes 3 hours before the website results gets posted. Can someone who has gone through a match day verify this?

Unless they changed something from last year, this is correct. I received my e-mail at approx 9am EST. However, the schools on the east coast had the resultes by fax at about 6AM est.

Bowser161 said:
Unless they changed something from last year, this is correct. I received my e-mail at approx 9am EST. However, the schools on the east coast had the resultes by fax at about 6AM est.

....so the schools know b4 you do?

Jediwendell said:
Yes. They find out first.

Hmm.. now it makes me want to wake up at 3 AM and call up the school of my choice to see if I made it there or not. It will truly be like xmas morning tomorrow to get up & find out if it's that fabulous gift that you always wanted or a lump of coal (I'm hoping for the former). I hope everyone gets their 1st choice in a few hours!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, your school should be able to tell you. When I matched OMS, the whole school knew before I did, at 7:30 AM. But KY is very small and familial, so it may not be the same at USC. By the way, Fight On!

no, GO SOONERS

oh yea, i have puked twice today out of anxiety. maybe if i do that again tomorrow ON my keyboard my computer can get replaced. hmmm

Just want to say Good Luck everyone!

Go Sooners, Go Trojans. Gonna be the best college football game in many years. I wish everyone the best in their ortho match. Good night.

Just a few more minutes....

Yup, got the e-mail at 9am. And it's the same e-mail I got last year.

No match.

Oh well, now I have to come up with a game plan for what to do next year after I finish my GPR, and start the whole reapplication process AGAIN.

Good luck to everyone else, I hope your luck is better than mine.

griffin04 said:

No match.

Oh well, now I have to come up with a game plan for what to do next year after I finish my GPR, and start the whole reapplication process AGAIN.

have you considered doing pedo??

griffin04 said:

No match.

Griffin, sorry to hear that. It seemed like your interview process went much better this year than last year.

Is there an option to do an additional GPR year where you are at, or does that not interest you in the least?

The internship at UF seems to get most of their people in. Usually not at UF, but in somewhere. Peds may not be a bad way to go, but it is very competitive at the best schools, also.

Wendell:

Any news? How about others, I know there are more than 10 of you out there applying to Ortho! Good news, bad news, lets hear it!! :thumbup:

Yah-E said:
Wendell:

Any news? How about others, I know there are more than 10 of you out there applying to Ortho! Good news, bad news, lets hear it!! :thumbup:

San Antonio. :)

Interviewed at 1 school

Last edited:
slayer said:
Interviewed at 1 school - UOP, same as last yr, didn't match. Good luck everyone else.

Im going to UW
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!

Last edited:
texas_dds said:
Im going to UW
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulationssss,
I think this is the time for celebrationsss.
Enjoy and have a nice christmas and i think u got a big present.

If you're outside the top 5 in your class, and don’t have at least a 95 on part 1, do you realistically have a shot at ortho? It seems like there are people in this forum who are, what I would think would be considered competitive applicants (eg griffin), but got no acceptances. Is it safe to say that if you are like 11th or 12th in your class out of 80 or 90 students, and have a low 90s board score, it’s a waste of time to apply?

dc-10 said:
If you're outside the top 5 in your class, and don’t have at least a 95 on part 1, do you realistically have a shot at ortho? It seems like there are people in this forum who are, what I would think would be considered competitive applicants (eg griffin), but got no acceptances. Is it safe to say that if you are like 11th or 12th in your class out of 80 or 90 students, and have a low 90s board score, it’s a waste of time to apply?

There was a guy in my class that was 11th and got a 90 on step one that got in at LSU. That being said, ortho seems to be much more competitive than I ever could have imagined. There seem to be people that are top 5 and above 95 that don't get in all the time.

Just would like to share that this year 7 Nova seniors applied to Ortho and all 7 got in! 100%!! :thumbup:

Nova graduates will be at:

Minnesota
Loma Linda
Harvard
West Virginia
Colorado
Nova
I don't remember this last one! (I'll get it then I'll post it)

I'm pumped that all 7 of them got in. 6 out of 7 were in Top 10, and all but 1 have NBDE Part 1 above 92.

Yah-E said:
Just would like to share that this year 7 Nova seniors applied to Ortho and all 7 got in! 100%!! :thumbup:

Minnesota
Loma Linda
Harvard
West Virginia
Colorado
Nova

I'm pumped that all 7 of them got in. 6 out of 7 were in Top 10, and all but 1 have NBDE Part 1 above 92.

amazing.....good stuff!

San Antonio did exceedingly well this year:

4 for 4 got their first pick!
2 at Baylor, 1 Houston, 1 UW
ranks: 1,2,3 and ? (prob top 10)
nbde pt 1: 96, 95, 94, and ?

Dr.BadVibes said:
have you considered doing pedo??

I considered pedo when I was trying to give all the specialties a shot during dental school. But now, I really don't think I want to consider anything else but ortho if I am going to specialize. Otherwise, I'd rather stick to general.

Congrats texas_dds, jediwendell, and bluetooth on matching.

Short of military experience, I can't even see where I could improve my application for the next cycle. After this round, I really think matching comes down to luck and who you know. I've been told many times that once you get an interview you should "relax and be yourself, you're on the same playing field as everyone else, they just want to make sure you're not a psycho and that you have a personality, the program wants to learn more about you just like you want to know more about them," etc. - yeah right. I can think of several nice, interesting, helpful, hardworking people who don't get in and I've met many ortho residents (and orthodontists) who make me think "Who did you fool to get in, b/c you're not very personable."

Being #1 with a 95+ board score is no guarantee either, b/c like jediwendell mentioned, I know of a few with those stats who haven't always gotten in on the first try. The higher your stats, the better your chance to get an interview. But to get in after the interview - no clue. When I do get in and get on the other side of the table, I'll keep you all posted.

Till then, what to do after my GPR ends in June....

Yah-E said:

Minnesota
Loma Linda
Harvard
West Virginia
Colorado
Nova

So did the guy who matched with CO do so as an OEC "scholarship" receipient? If so, what were his stats, and did he interview anywhere else?

adamlc18 said:
So did the guy who matched with CO do so as an OEC "scholarship" receipient? If so, what were his stats, and did he interview anywhere else?

Ahhhhhh, another couples picture? Did your girl put you up to this Adam? Onto your question, sorry my man, I have no idea, I just know that a senior of mine is going to Colorado for Ortho.

texas_dds said:

Congrats on UW. That will certainly be a life changing experience! Would you mind speaking on what you liked/disliked about the TX programs? or why the other students ranked Baylor/Houston the way they did? Also curious why no one picked San Antonio. Were the students just interested in 2 yr programs or something else? Thanks.

DDSSlave said:
Congrats on UW. That will certainly be a life changing experience! Would you mind speaking on what you liked/disliked about the TX programs? or why the other students ranked Baylor/Houston the way they did? Also curious why no one picked San Antonio. Were the students just interested in 2 yr programs or something else? Thanks.

Thanks I am still in a bit of disbelief!
You really cannot lose out in Texas I think, both Houston and Baylor are pretty equal in my mind - both are relatively easy on the pocketbook and are solid clinical programs. Seems like research was a bit more important at baylor, but both are strong in that of course. the people in my class picked their respective schools mostly on personal factors, like family proximity, etc. I think we all didnt pick SA just to have a change of pace - all of us were ready to spread our wings and get out of here, nice as it is and DAMN am I gonna miss the food in SA. but my shaggy dog needs a real winter so seattle here i come!

Congratulations to all,

texasdds, youre gonna love the Northwest. a little wetter than the Southwest, but a great place to live. Swing by Vancouver some time....most Washingtonians cant get enough, based on the number of Washington plates come Friday afternoon.

texas_dds said:

Reading this post and the one about nova makes my heart race, in a really bad way. Ranks 1,2,3!!!!! No wonder you guys got in. It is my dream to get into ortho, but I"m such a slacker!! Congratulations to you all - you guys must be so happy!! To those who didn't get in, my thoughts are with you. :luck:

thanks so much for the kind words everyone

Sorry, but what does it mean to be matched? I'm kind of confused as to what the process is to specialize.

bigbevo34 said:
Sorry, but what does it mean to be matched? I'm kind of confused as to what the process is to specialize.

I dug this up and modified it from some other thread where someone asked a similar question. ItsGavinC, if you're reading this, maybe we should put this somewhere in the FAQ because predents and D1 and D2s are usually confused by the match process.

griffin04 said:
The match works like this. A program decides if they will participate in Match or not. The more programs that participate, the more sense Match will make. Most Ortho, Pedo, OMS, GPR and AEGD programs participate in match, but there are a number in each of those categories that don't participate. If a program is not part of match, they must offer you a position before the match deadlines, because if you take that position, you must drop out of the match.

Match was designed to give every participant only 1 acceptance. This is supposed to eliminate anxiety on both the applicant and program's ends. For example, there is a super candidate for OMS who applies to 10 programs. Every single one of those programs reads his application, thinks he's great, invites him to interview. Without the match process, every single one of those programs wants this guy and accepts him. Now he's got 10 acceptances and has till a certain date (say Jan 15) to tell the 1 program he wants to attend that he's coming, and tell the other 9 he's not going. Until Jan 15, the 9 programs that he's not going to accept can't do anything to fill their spots till this guy actually says he's not coming. So the program is sitting around waiting for him to decide, and the other applicants to those 9 programs are wondering if they're gonna get into those programs and why they haven't heard anything from those programs. What program is going to say "Oh, well we're waiting for this super duper candidate to decide if he's gonna come here before we look at the rest of the losers."

With the match system, the same guy gets invited to interview at the 10 programs, and again they all want him. But this time, each program has to submit a list into the match website of which candidates they would consider for their program and what order they want them in. So even though they all put the guy as their #1 choice, they also enter other candidates they would consider in case they don't get their top picks. Our OMS guy must also submit a list of his 10 programs to the website in the order he wants to attend them in. The website has a deadline, and after the deadline they run an algorithm to match everyone up. Since everyone wanted the hypothetical candidate, he get's his #1 choice, and the 9 other programs who also wanted him, don't get him and get other people from further down their list. Basically, the match forces you to consider all programs and make your decision before an acceptance, not after so everyone can have a chance.

Most post grad programs have very few spots. Most OMS seem to be 2 students per year, Ortho and Pedo programs have between 4 and 5 new students per year (on average), and so on. Without the match system, the OMS program with 2 spots can't send out 5 acceptances b/c what if all 5 accept? They only have room for 2.

If a program is not part of the match (there are a few programs that don't participate), it makes things complicated. Say our guy has his 10 interviews, and 9 of the programs participate in match and 1 doesn't. So the 1 non-match accepts him on the spot, and now he has to decide does he take the acceptance and drop out of match, or give up the acceptance and wait to see what happens in the match? Results of the match are binding and you are supposed to sign a legal contract after match saying you will be attending there, so he can't say yes to the one program and wait and see what match brings him from the other 9. He has to decide beforehand b/c you are only supposed to ever have 1 acceptance. See where the dilemma is?

It's a complicated system, but it works for the most part. Unless you don't get a spot for ortho/OMS/pedo/GPR/AEGD in the match, in which case it's sorta annoying but hey - a DDS ain't a bad backup degree to have.

Word from Temple is that 5/6 people matched into Ortho

-Impressive
I've heard a nice student from Temple is coming down here to Houston