Osteopathic Pediatrician Refuses to Treat Baby with Lesbian parents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quality first post :roflcopter:

Not sure when we became the most powerful group in america, seeing as gay people can't get married in all 50 states, and there are no federal non discrimination laws, we have pretty much 0 representation in the federal government, and it's still a big deal if an LGBTQ person throws a football for a living. Naw, we have allll the power

Tiresome misrepresentation. Always looking for victimhood, while mercilessly suppressing dissent whenever given a chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
look I am not even the least bit religious, but the largest double standard that exists is how everyone is just expected to agree that homosexuality should be accepted.

I fully accept homosexuality, but believe it or not there are religions out there that arent your own. People are entitled to believe in whatever religion they choose, and embrace whatever beliefs that come with it.

YOUR beliefs matter just as much as this doctors do

My problem is not religion. My problem is that these people cherry-pick statements from their holy books at their convenience.

They claim they are justified in discriminating against homosexuals because it's a sin to them. My question is why aren't they showing equal prejudice for other forms of sinners?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your point? This is an expected consequence. If you didn't understand my post, I'm not wasting my time. ✌️

I've yet to see any evidence that the doc wanted publicity for herself - in fact, it looks like she tried to keep the whole thing between herself and the couple. (For the record, I have zero to negative interest in what people do or who they associate with. It's a free country. And yeah, the doc screwed up and is paying for it.)

Reactions: 1 users
What happens if it was a patient who had HIV coming to see you could you refuse seeing them as well?

The PC crowd has unleashed so much hatred toward the pediatrician. Below is a sample of their vitriol

FgmUomL.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Her license should be taken away. **** her prayers.

Lose her license for referring to another doctor at the same location at the same time? There wasn't even a delay in services

She's horrible at public relations but there was no interruption in care

Reactions: 4 users
Lose her license for referring to another doctor at the same location at the same time? There wasn't even a delay in services

She's horrible at public relations but there was no interruption in care
Public relations? She's not a politician. Human interaction is her entire job.

No, diagnosing and treating/preventing illness is her job.
:rolleyes: She's a PC doctor. In fact, if that was her job then she'd have no problem treating the patient. She emphasizing it's these interactions are the center of her job.

How is this different from physicians that refuse abortions...it's the right of a doctor to refuse a patient based on any reason they want. Poor woman is going to lose her job over this and probably have to move to the middle of no where to get another job.
She probably won't lose her "job" because she's probably a senior partner. She's well-established, and in the big leagues.

It's different than physicians who refuse abortions because her patient is the child and has done nothing to anyone, but she is refusing care because of the parents. Refusing to care for an innocent life is the antithesis of the Christian thing to do, in addition to being against what I view to be the ethical obligations of a physician in society.

Members don't see this ad :)
Her career and her reputation are being flushed down the toilet. She made a huge mistake by upsetting the most powerful group in America today. You can't afford to mess with them. It's that simple.
The LGBT community is hardly the most powerful group in America today. The same reaction would have happened if the patient were refused for having black parents, disabled parents, Christian parents, Muslim parents, Republican parents- it's the idea that a kid is being refused care by a physician who is supposed to be over the petty bull**** of politics, race, and religion in our society when providing care for their patients.

No, it shouldn't.
She done goofed in handling this situation and I find her extremely distasteful, but she doesn't deserve to have her license taken away.

...They claim they are justified in discriminating against homosexuals because it's a sin to them. My question is why aren't they showing equal prejudice for other forms of sinners?

They'll be out of business then though. Anyway, this is exactly why I think it's not consistent with the profession. Regardless though, it's fine if someone has this opinion, but at least deal with it with some tact.

The PC crowd has unleashed so much hatred toward the pediatrician. Below is a sample of their vitriol

http://i.imgur.com/FgmUomL.jpg

Who cares? It's the Internet. The same place where when 3 young, charitable adults get killed execution style, half the comments say that it's a good thing only because of the religion of the victims. That has nothing to do with being PC, and everything to do with people being trolls.

Wait.... if the LGBTQ community is the most powerful group in America, can I like get a tiara or something? Or some cookies? Or like... gold leaf nike hightops and plaid shirts made of the finest materials? Are there some queer perks I'm not getting here???

My problem is not religion. My problem is that these people cherry-pick statements from their holy books at their convenience.

They claim they are justified in discriminating against homosexuals because it's a sin to them. My question is why aren't they showing equal prejudice for other forms of sinners?

So what? I have a problem with how pretty much every religion cherry picks certain things and ignores others (science). I for damn sure respect their right to do it though

Last edited:
Doctors are allowed to have spines. I really cant believe that on SDN we dont see how messed up it is to burn this doc at the stake.

I GUARANTEE that if she were allowed to tell her side of the story, it would be vastly different than what has been reported.

she cant defend herself. Lets at the very least try to remain impartial here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone here think that a physician who refuses to accept a patient for personal reasons with no interruption of care should lose her license?

Because while public shaming is one thing, advocating for license revocation is another thing entirely. I just want to know where people stand.
On another note, it seems that she could have avoided all of this hassle by simply referring the patient to another physician without disclosing the reason.

Doctors are allowed to have spines. I really cant believe that on SDN we dont see how messes up it is to burn this doc at the stake.

I GUARANTEE that if she were allowed to tell her side of the story, it would be vastly different than what has been reported.

she cant defend herself. Lets at the very least try to remain impartial here.
If she tried to defend her side it would only draw more flames towards her. It's best for her to learn from her mistake, keep quiet, and wait for this storm to blow over.

If she tried to defend her side it would only draw more flames towards her. It's best for her to learn from her mistake, keep quiet, and wait for this storm to blow over.

No. If she tried to defend herself she would be arrested.

We dont even know for sure that she made a mistake. For all we know these two women sexually harassed the physician.

We dont even know for sure that she made a mistake. For all we know these two women sexually harassed the physician.

True, it is a one-sided story. If your hypothesis is true, it would be disturbing indeed to ask her to lose her job or licence.

Perhaps people ought to watch "Beyond Right and Wrong" a few times in their lifetime to gain a greater appreciation for the power of sincere repentance and forgiveness. Nelson Mandela is a hero to me in that regard.

Occums razor

Occums razor

I'm with you on this one, most likely reality is there were referred to the second doc for the stated reasons but that the speech they say they got was tweaked a little bit due to emotion/marketability by the time they were on the news

crappy way to handle it on the docs part, even crappier because the doc knows you never get to defend yourself when you end on the news

Reactions: 6 users
The physician and her family are probably terrified for their lives. The accusation that she was seeking publicity for her beliefs is laughable and symptomatic of the thought police fascists.

crappy way to handle it on the docs part, even crappier because the doc knows you never get to defend yourself when you end on the news

No kidding. Famous last words: "Which office do I go to to get my reputation back?"

What happens if it was a patient who had HIV coming to see you could you refuse seeing them as well?

you can...but you will be sued. HIV is one of the few things doctors cannot refuse to treat patients for.

That would be illegal under the ADA if the condition falls within your area of expertise i.e. if you're qualified to treat it, and if the patient does not pose a direct threat.

Last edited:
That would be illegal under the ADA if the condition falls within your area of expertise i.e. if you're qualified to treat it.

Wrong. You have no obligation to treat anyone coming into the office - you inform them that this is a consultation and say you're sorry that you cannot take their care on and will need to find another provider.

Wrong. You have no obligation to treat anyone coming into the office - you inform them that this is a consultation and say you're sorry that you cannot take their care on and will need to find another provider.

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/healt...department-over-complaints-hiv-discrimination

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, May 11, 2012

Health Care Providers Settle with Justice Department Over Complaints of HIV Discrimination

The Justice Department announced that it has reached two settlements today resolving claims that health care providers refused to serve people with HIV in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

The first complaint was filed by a man with HIV who went to the Mercy Medical Group Midtown Clinic in Sacramento, Calif. After meeting with the patient and examining him, a podiatrist at the clinic informed the patient of his treatment options. Although surgery was one of the treatment options, the podiatrist incorrectly told the patient that he could not perform the surgery because of a risk that he would contract HIV from the patient during surgery. The United States determined that the podiatrist’s actions violated the ADA by denying the patient the full and equal enjoyment of the services offered at the clinic on the basis of his disability.

The second complaint was filed by a man with HIV who went to the Knoxville Chiropractic Clinic North in Knoxville, Tenn., for chiropractic treatment following an automobile accident. After examining him, the doctor determined that the patient required 24 subsequent appointments to treat his injuries. On his third visit to the clinic, however, the receptionist informed him that the doctor would not see him because they could not treat people “like him.” The United States determined that Knoxville Chiropractic Centers had a blanket policy of refusing treatment to persons with HIV in violation of the ADA. ...

There are many other cases e.g.
http://www.ada.gov/genesis_healthcare_sa.htm
http://www.ada.gov/fayetteville_pain_ctr_settle.htm
http://www.ada.gov/woodlawn_fmly_dnst.htm
http://www.ada.gov/castlewood_llc.htm

(The Supreme Court gave ADA protections to HIV status in Bragdon v. Abbott:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/97-156.ZO.html)

Last edited:

http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/healt...department-over-complaints-hiv-discrimination

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, May 11, 2012

Health Care Providers Settle with Justice Department Over Complaints of HIV Discrimination

The Justice Department announced that it has reached two settlements today resolving claims that health care providers refused to serve people with HIV in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

The first complaint was filed by a man with HIV who went to the Mercy Medical Group Midtown Clinic in Sacramento, Calif. After meeting with the patient and examining him, a podiatrist at the clinic informed the patient of his treatment options. Although surgery was one of the treatment options, the podiatrist incorrectly told the patient that he could not perform the surgery because of a risk that he would contract HIV from the patient during surgery. The United States determined that the podiatrist’s actions violated the ADA by denying the patient the full and equal enjoyment of the services offered at the clinic on the basis of his disability.

The second complaint was filed by a man with HIV who went to the Knoxville Chiropractic Clinic North in Knoxville, Tenn., for chiropractic treatment following an automobile accident. After examining him, the doctor determined that the patient required 24 subsequent appointments to treat his injuries. On his third visit to the clinic, however, the receptionist informed him that the doctor would not see him because they could not treat people “like him.” The United States determined that Knoxville Chiropractic Centers had a blanket policy of refusing treatment to persons with HIV in violation of the ADA.

That ruling is appalling. In non-emergent situations...physicians should be able to decline care to anyone for any reason. It is a service that you are providing. Being forced to see patients against your will is very bad for physicians. I don't agree with the Pediatrics decision to decline care...but let's keep focused on the big picture here. Physicians are slowly losing their independence.

I would be interested in knowing the details of the case. I remember the case of the lesbian mom having her son get sex-change hormones. LOL. Yeah...I would told her to get the f#$! out of my office. :)

She should thank God the PC police haven't charged her with a hate crime.

Maybe that's bc they're too busy patrolling the net looking for non-PC comments, and posting vile comments about the physician and her religion.

Who knows. Maybe President Obama will make a statement tomorrow and demand action from Congress.

My comment was tongue in cheek but: Failing to endorse (or even worse, judging) someone's lifestyle is will eventually be deemed a hate crime of the mind. :)

sickening. beyond a disgrace. How the AOA responds will likely help me decide if DO is right for me after all.

Im sorry but the whole world gets to have their stupid beliefs, so do doctors.

I completely disagree with this doctors beliefs, but I 100% stand behind the right for doctors to have opinions.

Good. But neither she nor anyone has a right to be free from the consequences (lots and lots of criticism, being called names, etc) of their words/actions. She is scum as far as I'm concerned.

sickening. beyond a disgrace. How the AOA responds will likely help me decide if DO is right for me after all.

Dramatic, much?

It's not a huge deal and no one was hurt. People make decisions all the time based upon arbitrary things and we live with it. If this were a less sensitive topic, no one would even care.

In a year or two; there will be another untouchable topic and we'll all pretend it's the most offensive thing ever when someone doesn't play along.

Reactions: 3 users
your opinion is noted friend.

Heres the letter:

I guess after she prayed a ton God spoke to her and said don't do it! :barf:

Good. But neither she nor anyone has a right to be free from the consequences (lots and lots of criticism, being called names, etc) of their words/actions. She is scum as far as I'm concerned.

And you are scum as far as I am concerned. Your opinions are stupid and you should lose your career over them. You should never get accepted to a medical school, and I am going to go around telling everyone I know what a piece of garbage you are.

And by the way of you speak up and try to defend yourself its a breach of privacy and I will have you arrested.

Hmm.

Reactions: 6 users
The AOA has already released a statement against this. Now what will you do?

As a religious person and as a DO student, I want people to know that this DO does not represent me.
I'm just curious, is it common for osteopathic residents to have to do a rotating internship before having to do a 3 year Pediatrics residency?

I'm just curious, is it common for osteopathic residents to have to do a rotating internship before having to do a 3 year Pediatrics residency?

Nope. As far as I know, the first year of an osteopathic peds residency counts as your intern year, so it's three years total, just like MDs. Also, something like 14 of the 20 DO Peds residencies are dually-accredited by the ACGME and the AOA.

This is actually the first time I've heard that this doc was a DO. *shrug* seems irrelevant