Osteopathic vs Allopathic + General Questions About Application Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J-ProMed

Reaction score
Greetings everyone! I just joined the site today. I'm a pre-med student finishing up my undergrad. I'm from Auburn,Al. So I chose to attend Auburn University of course. I wanted to go a Allopathic school. However about 5 years ago VCOM opened a campus at Auburn. So now I'm conflicted. Obivisouly there's convinouse in having a medical school in my backyard. I've researched and compared the two and it seems as if Osteopathic medicine has evolved and the differences are pretty insignificant. Especially from a clinical standpoint. I'm wondering if you all could enlighten me and give me some input. Also I'm just now getting to the point where I need to start educateding myself on the application process. I know its unusual but I'm nieve to where I should even start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings everyone! I just joined the site today. I'm a pre-med student finishing up my undergrad. I'm from Auburn,Al. So I chose to attend Auburn University of course. I wanted to go a Allopathic school. However about 5 years ago VCOM opened a campus at Auburn. So now I'm conflicted. Obivisouly there's convinouse in having a medical school in my backyard. I've researched and compared the two and it seems as if Osteopathic medicine has evolved and the differences are pretty insignificant. Especially from a clinical standpoint. I'm wondering if you all could enlighten me and give me some input. Also I'm just now getting to the point where I need to start educateding myself on the application process. I know its unusual but I'm nieve to where I should even start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Greetings hombre. The differences in practice are, from what I've heard, insignificant. However, what is significant is the added hoops that DO students have to jump through to get competitive residences. You might not want to be a dermorthohero now - but you want to keep doors open. Most people here will recommend chosing an MD school over a DO for this reason.

Applying to MD and DO schools, in general:

Applying to DO school, specifically:

Reactions: 1 users
Ok. Lol! Very cool. Thank u for the advice. That's what I needed. It's that type of content u spoke about that I'm clueless about. Do u put any validity in the prestige of between the two titles?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok. Lol! Very cool. Thank u for the advice. That's what I needed. It's that type of content u spoke about that I'm clueless about. Do u put any validity in the prestige of between the two titles?
Some patients will know and care, though most patients won't know the difference. And you won't see the people who care about titles and academic pedigree (and trust me, that's usually a good thing :laugh: ). The good news is that for most fields, there are more than enough patients seeking care that you will always have work.

So what's important when evaluating any degree/school is to make sure that it can reasonably help you reach your 10 year professional goals.

This is a controversial opinion but I believe that pedigree matters with respect to your career prospects. It's not everything, but it's relevant.

I assume that most patient's wouldn't know the difference.

Yes. I have to be honest it does stick in the back of my mind but, its something I could overcome. Though that really does make me think when it comes down jumping through hoops for a quality residency. As you were saying Kardio.

Moko, I agree most people I've interacted with don't seem realize if a PA/NPC or the actual Physician walks in the room. However, the only place I've consistently seen that in was an urgent care.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that's gotta be different in a hospital or a GP's office etc.

Yes. I have to be honest it does stick in the back of my mind but, its something I could overcome. Though that really does make me think when it comes down jumping through hoops for a quality residency. As you were saying Kardio.

That's all I've got. Do the best you can and apply where you're academically competitive.

If, from the bottom of your heart, you want to be a doctor - I wouldn't let the MD/DO difference, or hoop-jumping, stop you.

For what it's worth, I'm applying to both DO and MD programs. I've defended the decision to apply DO to older family members and friends who care more about prestige than me. I want the role of physician more than either the "MD" or "DO" title. Folks who disagree without explanation are usually just being snobbish.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel the same way. This is my dream and I can only see myself in this role. I appreciate the advice and good luck to u in medical school.

Reactions: 2 users