OT: Moar Phast, Moar Phurious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow. I thought my alarm at 6 AM was crazy :laugh:

I used to get up at 6 AM, get ready by 6:30, eat breakfast, and then leave home before 7 AM. Sometimes I wouldn't get up until 6:30 or 6:45 without my alarm.

years and years of doing it in the Army made it stick. Although a lot of times it was 4:30 AM. Now that sucked.

But 6 AM isn't much better than 5:45!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
why no cable/internet, mr. amish? so THATS where youve been...:laugh:

There is an Amish family that lives next door to my dad's friend. We were all there one summer day sitting outside and it was VERY hot. It doesn't get as hot as Arizona, but it gets into the 100+ degrees especially with the humidity and heat index you can dehydrate very quickly. So anyway... I felt so bad because I guess it is against their values to use air conditioning, but apparently they can be in the presence of air conditioning as long as they don't actually use the technology themselves, so they walked over to us and asked us if we would do them the biggest favor and turn on their AC for them because they were practically dying of heat stroke. I thought that was kind of cool they could use the AC as long as we turned it on for them.

There is an Amish family that lives next door to my dad's friend. We were all there one summer day sitting outside and it was VERY hot. It doesn't get as hot as Arizona, but it gets into the 100+ degrees especially with the humidity and heat index you can dehydrate very quickly. So anyway... I felt so bad because I guess it is against their values to use air conditioning, but apparently they can be in the presence of air conditioning as long as they don't actually use the technology themselves, so they walked over to us and asked us if we would do them the biggest favor and turn on their AC for them because they were practically dying of heat stroke. I thought that was kind of cool they could use the AC as long as we turned it on for them.

:laugh:

In Taiwan and Thailand there are NO central AC. Some houses don't even have AC, but most just have the ones you put on your windows. :rolleyes:

I can easily live without cable, but I need the internet. I can tolerate a lot of heat too..but whenever it gets above 90 degree I need the AC!!!

I'm soooooooooooooooooo excited I am going to a fundraiser tomorrow that med students from our school are throwing for Lobby Day in Sac and I bought the sexiest dress to wear to it ! It shall be a glorious night ! Plus final are over and I'm in the land of free ! :banana:

oh god i remember Lobby Day...most fun I've had in sacramento. I remember sitting in one of the empty chambers in the Chair position rattling off instructions into the mic and ordering people around for fun. hahaha...i love how there's a button on there that shuts off everyone else's microphone. I was drunk with power.

oh and on the topic of ice cream -- Mitchell's SF rules them all. mango & ube flavors :love:

though i do like a good moose track once in a while.

:laugh:

In Taiwan and Thailand there are NO central AC. Some houses don't even have AC, but most just have the ones you put on your windows. :rolleyes:

hey those window units work better/faster than central AC sometimes!

Hm it must be sort of an island thing because where my parents live a lot of the houses still don't have central AC either. We have central AC but I hate it because my mom keeps it so hot and she thinks it is freezing LOL I like wall units because you can adjust the temperature in different rooms. I can tolerate straight heat but the humidity gets to me.

Hm it must be sort of an island thing because where my parents live a lot of the houses still don't have central AC either. We have central AC but I hate it because my mom keeps it so hot and she thinks it is freezing LOL I like wall units because you can adjust the temperature in different rooms. I can tolerate straight heat but the humidity gets to me.

I would go crazy without AC and fans :laugh: I can't stand the heat sometimes. Even in Arkansas, it can get too hot. I would probably prefer to move to Chicago or New York when I'm done with pharmacy school. California sounds nice, but I would have to pick somewhere like SF, since I don't think that would be too hot. Unless it gets really hot there too and I just don't know about it :laugh:

I would go crazy without AC and fans I can't stand the heat sometimes. Even in Arkansas, it can get too hot. I would probably prefer to move to Chicago or New York when I'm done with pharmacy school. California sounds nice, but I would have to pick somewhere like SF, since I don't think that would be too hot. Unless it gets really hot there too and I just don't know about it

New York City and San Fransiciso are my top choices...assuming I have the money to live there of course! :laugh:

People in Asian countries are never hot too! They tell me I am crazy when I need to turn on the AC!!! :laugh:
They also like to drink everything room temperature!! It would be 100 degrees outside and they still drink hot tea!
Light skin is also prefered over tanned skin, so I see Asian women wear jackets when its 100 degrees outside so they won't get a tan!!!

Has anyone heard of a teacher curving the class -down-? I ended up with an A- in one of my classes because the teacher curved the class down 8 points. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard of a teacher curving the class -down-? I ended up with an A- in one of my classes because the teacher curved the class down 8 points. :thumbdown:

That's such BS. Most of my college professors say that they will never curve down but only UP. What was the reason behind curving down?

That's such BS. Most of my college professors say that they will never curve down but only UP. What was the reason behind curving down?

"Apologies for the confusion-- this term ended up having a slight downward curve (~8 points) to reach the grade distribution that I am required to meet, which likely explains the difference between the totals you see on Blackboard and the overall in my gradebook"

Oh well, it wasn't in one of my pre-req classes at least...

lol..at least they figured out a way around it :laugh:

"Apologies for the confusion-- this term ended up having a slight downward curve (~8 points) to reach the grade distribution that I am required to meet, which likely explains the difference between the totals you see on Blackboard and the overall in my gradebook"

Oh well, it wasn't in one of my pre-req classes at least...

Required grade distribution?? Is your class graded on a bell curve?

Required grade distribution?? Is your class graded on a bell curve?

Apparently. On the syllabus it said:
"This class is graded based on a curve so absolute percentage out of XXX points is
NOT necessarily indicative of your final grade"

But I just assumed it was like any other class i've taken where your score can only be shifted up. Oh well.

Curving down happens all the time in undergrad. The professor CANNOT give an A to everyone. Just like the USA can't print an unlimited amount of money etc.
If everyone gets an A then an A is no longer anything to be proud of...it becomes average or should I say worthless...thats why an A can only go to the people that actually knows the most from the class. If there are 100 people in your class than a good amount of As to give out is around 10 to 15. Everyone else should get Bs or Cs or Fs.

Curving down happens all the time in undergrad. The professor CANNOT give an A to everyone. Just like the USA can't print an unlimited amount of money etc.
If everyone gets an A then an A is no longer anything to be proud of...it becomes average or should I say worthless...thats why an A can only go to the people that actually knows the most from the class. If there are 100 people in your class than a good amount of As to give out is around 10 to 15. Everyone else should get Bs or Cs or Fs.

I guess you could make the argument that if EVERYONE is getting an A, that the instructor isn't being rigorous enough.... but it still seems kind of weak to me. If there are 1000 points possible over the course of the class, and I end the term with 900, I should get an A (provided an A is 90% or better, of course). That's the only sensible thing to say about it. I don't necessarily like the idea of an A being only for the very best in a class. Either 1) the instructor is amazing at teaching the subject and everyone is getting it, or 2) as I said, they aren't holding the students to a high enough standard. It's my opinion that you get the grade you earn, regardless of what other students do. So, I guess I'm opposed to curving upwards, too...

Or you need to make the class more difficult. Our Calc II prof talked to us about how his "Human Sexuality" course in undergrad required a 98.5+ for an A.

It seems unfair to me that if more than 10-15 people out of a class of 100 do well, they don't all get A's.

:eek: That's so ridiculous. How did that professor manage to come up with such a scale?

Apparently everyone did well in her course? I agree with what NaOH said. If the student as an individual can get the points, give him or her the A.

Now to figure out how I can work "Human Sexuality" into my course schedule...

I tried to take that for my 5th writing credit but it was full of course so I took GLBT Studies instead... turned out that it was basically Human Sexuality with a twist. lol

People in Asian countries are never hot too! They tell me I am crazy when I need to turn on the AC!!! :laugh:
They also like to drink everything room temperature!! It would be 100 degrees outside and they still drink hot tea!
Light skin is also prefered over tanned skin, so I see Asian women wear jackets when its 100 degrees outside so they won't get a tan!!!

Haha My mom would love it there... she loves being hot! I have to admit though... I love hot tea and coffee! I love cold tea and coffee too though! I see people in Miami who walk around with an umbrella in BRIGHT sunlight so they don't get tanner! That is so funny. I think smaller/petite people get cold easier so they like warm weather. I am kind of small but I am NEVER cold... it's weird. I've been skiing a few times but when the sun is out I get hot and have to wear a tank top or something to cool off.

Haha My mom would love it there... she loves being hot! I have to admit though... I love hot tea and coffee! I love cold tea and coffee too though! I see people in Miami who walk around with an umbrella in BRIGHT sunlight so they don't get tanner! That is so funny. I think smaller/petite people get cold easier so they like warm weather. I am kind of small but I am NEVER cold... it's weird. I've been skiing a few times but when the sun is out I get hot and have to wear a tank top or something to cool off.

I hate the too much sun! I get so dark its ridiculous. Im half pakistani/filipino so I tan VERY easily. I came home from Miami this past summer break with tan lines around my eyes. lol I looked so stupid.

Woweeweewow. Me gusta.

Oh yes, here's some more for ya. She's really friendly, chatted with her on Facebook a few months back helping her with some tech problem she was having. She's one of the people who actually updates her FB account daily. Plus, she looks damn hot even when she posts pics of her just climbin outta bed

16309806.jpg

71690323.jpg

72371004.jpg

Plus, Italian is so sexy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqOjnEwvR1I

That is the stunning Cristina Scabbia, lead singer of my favorite band Lacuna Coil.

She has been the woman of my dreams for the better part of the last six years

I thought I had seen a picture of her before :laugh: Remember in the beginning when this thread was HIJACKED? :rofl:

Those look like a couple of shots, or long island ice teas?

:laugh: Nope

Cup 1: Mountain Dew with Diet Dr. Pepper floating on top because of a lighter density.
Cup 2: Sierra Mist with Diet Dr. Pepper floating on top because of lighter density again.

People at my undergrad kept saying it looked nasty, but I thought they tasted good.

The blinding light is coming from a candle holder that they have on friday nights for dinner and other occasions (like Halloween).