Outline to follow for writing the personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreAA

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to submit my PharmCAS application to schools, and the last element of my application that I need to complete is the personal statement. I've always been the kind of person who stumbles over writer's block, so generally speaking, is there any sort of outline that applicants tend to follow when writing the statement? Like a "skeleton," of sorts? Also, can anyone direct me to any sample statements that are generally regarded as being well-written?

Thanks......

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to submit my PharmCAS application to schools, and the last element of my application that I need to complete is the personal statement. I've always been the kind of person who stumbles over writer's block, so generally speaking, is there any sort of outline that applicants tend to follow when writing the statement? Like a "skeleton," of sorts? Also, can anyone direct me to any sample statements that are generally regarded as being well-written?

Thanks......
The essay was one of the hardest parts of the application for me. However, I followed the format below and got interviews at every school I applied to.
And please do not ask for "sample statements." The personal essay is based on why you, as an individual, want pharmacy. You cannot use someone else's reasons and experiences into why you chose to pursue pharmacy, only you know why you want it. Good luck!:)

The essay is broken down into 3 major components (according to the Pharmcas question). Try your best to make sure you discussed EACH component (especially when it says AND.... you want to try to talk about each part even if it's just one super short sentence.)

1) Why you selected pharmacy as a career
2)How does a Doctor of Pharmacy degree relate to your immediate AND long-term professional goals
3)How does your personal, educational , AND professional background help you achieve these goals.

I copied the #1-3 part below from an earlier SDN post years ago and it helped a lot in formatting the actual essay. (The bold part is my personal addition to the guy's post to give you some ideas for each area.)

3 paragraphs, one from each part.

#1) How I decided I wanted to pursue a career in pharmacy (CREDITS TO EARLIER SDN POST)

Here you can literally put anything that made you want to go into pharmacy. You can discuss your interest in chemistry (Org Chem YAY!!........ :eek:), interest in the drug field and the direction it's going in healthcare, personal experiences (watching grandma take her meds to stay alive 10-15 years longer), etc. Try to have a valid, strong, and preferably unique reason into why you want pharmacy. $$$$ IS NOT A VALID REASON!! ;)

#2) Explained my volunteer and work experiences and why I think they reinforced my decision to pursue a career in pharmacy (CREDITS TO EARLIER SDN POST)

Generally shadowing/working as a pharm tech is what to talk about here. Talk about the positive great things you saw pharmacists do while you shadowed/worked with them. Depending on the work environment, you saw different scenarios into what pharmacists do (doing clinical rotations with doctors, discussing chemo drugs with patients when they pick-up from the compounding pharmacy, counseling patients in retail). Try to make the examples very specific and in detail. DO NOT add in negative situations (please exclude "watching the pharmacist yell at the drive thru window at CVS" in your examples:smuggrin:) Also, any type of healthcare volunteer work that shows compassion and empathy towards patients is also good to add here.

#3) My plans for employment/residency once my PharmD is completed and my general goals for the future (CREDITS TO EARLIER SDN POST)

This part was a little tough for me. But discuss certain pharmaceutical fields that personally interest you. Definitely add in a residency if that's the direction you want to go and why you want the residency (do NOT state it's because it can help you get a job more easily :cat:) Although you may just do retail when you're done, try to add something unique and different that may set you apart from other applicants (since majority of students usually end up in retail anyways).

It took me a good month of editing, re-editing to get a solid essay for my application (but I started very early like mid/late summer for my application). Since you are kind of late in this application process, follow these steps and you should have a decent essay. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
PhunWithPharm, thanks for posting that outline and including your own additions! I appreciate the effort. Can I ask how long your essay ended up being? Did you actually use all 4500 words?! LOL

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks......

I struggled with my personal statement too so I understand your feeling. What I did was I had 6 paragraphs, each designated to each question they ask:

1. Why pharmacy?
2. Immediate goals
3. Long-term goals
4. Personal background
5. Educational background
6. Professional background

This made sure that I answered all of the questions. However, make sure you transition well between your paragraphs. Make it flow, otherwise it is just a bunch of separate short essays that you put together. One way that I did to check was to rearrange my paragraphs in completely different orders. If it doesn't make sense, your original arrangement is good. I do this to all of my essays. It serves me well so far. Just my suggestions :)

At first, 4500 characters including space seems very intimidating, but you will soon find out that you don't have enough. When I did mine, I just typed everything down without thinking of how long it had been. My first rough draft was almost 6500 LOL. Making it shorter was actually the hardest part in my experience. I ended up with 4489. So give yourself plenty of time, really plenty.

PhunWithPharm, thanks for posting that outline and including your own additions! I appreciate the effort. Can I ask how long your essay ended up being? Did you actually use all 4500 words?! LOL
Lol no problem! My first essay was about 7000 or so characters. I added WAY too much into why I wanted to go into pharm school (too many stories so I shortened each story to one sentence).
Then I had too little!! Lol.... So I added in extra into the 2nd paragraph (added more into what I saw as a good pharmacist when I worked as a pharm tech... Seriously I saw really BAD pharmacists as well as really GREAT ones, so I differentiated the two and what qualities the GREAT ones had such as very compassionate and caring when patients came to pick up their meds, and they also were very respectful and cool with techs.) I was still such a tad short around 3900 characters so I added in a small paragraph discussing my volunteer work at the hospital.
If you are short, add in some strong examples that have lots of details in it. There's a big difference into saying "I saw my pharmacist be nice to the techs" and "I saw the pharmacist listen to the tech's problems, was assertive and backed them up when customers complained, and was very laid back and joked with the techs to keep the mood light and friendly."

Last edited:
I struggled with my personal statement too so I understand your feeling. What I did was I had 6 paragraphs, each designated to each question they ask:

1. Why pharmacy?
2. Immediate goals
3. Long-term goals
4. Personal background
5. Educational background
6. Professional background

This made sure that I answered all of the questions. However, make sure you transition well between your paragraphs. Make it flow, otherwise it is just a bunch of separate short essays that you put together. One way that I did to check was to rearrange my paragraphs in completely different orders. If it doesn't make sense, your original arrangement is good. I do this to all of my essays. It serves me well so far. Just my suggestions :)

At first, 4500 characters including space seems very intimidating, but you will soon find out that you don't have enough. When I did mine, I just typed everything down without thinking of how long it had been. My first rough draft was almost 6500 LOL. Making it shorter was actually the hardest part in my experience. I ended up with 4489. So give yourself plenty of time, really plenty.

I agree that you do need to discuss each part, but I feel like you can overlap on a lot of these, therefore 6 separate paragraphs aren't necessary. You can talk about your personal background when you explain why you want to go into pharmacy (family members are pharmacists, I watched drugs save grandma's life, etc.) or you can talk about your educational background and explain your love for chemistry is the reason to go into pharmacy.
But of course that is just for me. To each his own. :cat: