PA-C to D.O. Bridge passes!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally Posted by corpsmanUP
Sure, a PA with 5 years experience ahead of me in actually interacting with patients, working on the floors, is going to blow me out of the water when we both set foot in 3rd year and in the beginning of residency.

However, this is not because they are "inherently" better students, its because they have more experience. Yet, I have noticed the same trend over and over (PAs and nurses in my medical school class), that they tend to struggle much more with the first two years of medical school.

Is it possible that it's just a result of being out of an academic setting longer than the average med school student?

I'm assuming the average med student is fairly young and goes to med school immediately following graduation from college.

I'm also assuming that PAs work for a while before they consider med school. Sometimes years perhaps?

Members don't see this ad.

It may be hard for some of you to believe but I would actually support this. It's an acceptable compromise. Doing 3 out of the 4 medical school years since you already have done 2 years of PA school sounds fair. I don't think that many people would choose the PA -> MD path over going straight to medical school because it is a lot more work, but I think it's good for those people who want to advance themselves and can do more. I would even support NP -> MD if they satisfy the same requirements as the PA -> MD path. Knowing the NP's and how they don't like to actually put in the work but instead like to use propaganda to convince anyone dumb enough to listen that they are "good enough", I doubt the NP's would support a NP -> MD path.

Perhaps a good way to settle the "does NP=PA" debate is to allow NPs to apply for the bridge program as well. If a majority of the NPs fail out while attending, then the debate has been settled in favor of PAs being more skilled. No danger of NPs practicing bad medicine if they fail out, and the school gets nothing but their money. For the NPs that make it to MD, all the more respect for them.

Perhaps a good way to settle the "does NP=PA" debate is to allow NPs to apply for the bridge program as well. If a majority of the NPs fail out while attending, then the debate has been settled in favor of PAs being more skilled. No danger of NPs practicing bad medicine if they fail out, and the school gets nothing but their money. For the NPs that make it to MD, all the more respect for them.

np's are not eligible because a yr ( ie 2000+ hrs) of clinical rotations is a requirement.
it is the rare np who has more than 800.

Members don't see this ad :)
In talking with Dr Kauffman I'm not sure if that's the only reason why NPs are excluded thus far although it seems a reasonable explanation.
I got the impression it was more that we KNOW what didactic and clinical education the PA has because PA education is by and large standardized...one accrediting body, one national exam, the same standards applied to all programs...just a much more homogeneous group...the stats would be much easier. I think they wanted this experiment to work, and it would be more of a sure thing with a single group. Apples to apples.
Not that stats are all there is to it, but.... :thumbup:

np's are not eligible because a yr ( ie 2000+ hrs) of clinical rotations is a requirement.
it is the rare np who has more than 800.

Is it possible that it's just a result of being out of an academic setting longer than the average med school student?

I'm assuming the average med student is fairly young and goes to med school immediately following graduation from college.

I'm also assuming that PAs work for a while before they consider med school. Sometimes years perhaps?

nope. average age of med students is 24. Most of us took some time off. I only know about three or 4 people out of a very large class who came straight in. In fact I know more people over 25 than I do under 24.

This thread makes it plainly obvious that people see what they want to see.

So, we can assume that everyone agrees:

1) Most PAs do NOT have to take Anatomy and Physiology before entering PA school.

and

2) Most PAs DO take all of their pre-reqs at community colleges.

Thanks for the clarifications, primadonna22274, makati2008, pado13, and corpsmanup! I'm sure everyone now understands better.

Last edited:
Read her blog its quite interesting to say the least. She is bashing Physicians, calling patients stupid as well. Remember she is a STUDENT. I hope she gets into touch with totally reality before it is too late for her or a patient.

http://myclinicalyear.blogspot.com/

No, I was 'bashing' someone who was careless and insensitive enough to convey INCORRECT information to a patient, telling them that one of their organs had FAILED when this was UNTRUE.

Do you get that?

I don't care if you're a Physician, PA, Nurse, or Preacher, you don't operate in such a manner. Or then again, maybe you think that's acceptable ... I don't. And yes, I did say that I had seen some stupid patients. Here, I'll quote myself:
Lots of patients. Some are really, really stupid. We had one guy sign out ama (against medical advice) because, even though we had just taken a liter of fluid out of his belly, another liter (filled with pus and blood) from the spaces around his lungs, and found two pulmonary embolisms in his lungs as well, he "felt better" and would "goto church and pray". We begged, we pleaded, we yelled, and ... off he went. He was so uneducated and ignorant, he actually thought we were keeping him there to practice procedures on him as a human guinea pig. Oh well, sayonara dude. Next.
Also on that rotation did I see people who did nothing about their hypertension and diabetes, and are now paying the price for it. Tell me, do you think that was smart of them?

How dare you neglect to note my accolades of many Physicians and patients on my blog, in an attempt to shed a negative light on me. That was one of the lowest things I've heard from anyone in a long time, in or out of the medical community. I wouldn't feel too proud of that, if I were you.

Your skills of comprehension and evaluation are highly questionable, in my opinion. As well, my blog is where I get to air how I feel and where I get to write about the true grit of my rotations, it's not your place or anyone elses to try and discredit me for that. As a result, you are showing of very poor character at this moment. Incidentally, I receive high honors from most of my preceptors, and have been working with patients for years.

Last edited:
nope. average age of med students is 24.

I'm guessing the avg age of folks who do the pa to doc bridge program will be > 32.
most of them will have a prior bs, a few yrs in health care before pa school, an ms from pa school and > 5 yrs as a pa before entering the bridge program.
it wouldn't surprise me if the age range was 28-50.
I'm still on the fence about the program. at this point all I need is to take the mcat but the relocation and supporting the family while in school are holding me back. if this program was local to me it would be a no brainer.
and believe it or not I would actually do primary care at this point(rural fm).

I'll elaborate:

PA school is like running a 5k. You know it's short, you can keep the pace even if you are not in the greatest of shape, and it all ends before you really have a chance to feel the serious pain. There is pain, but it is quick, tough, and over as soon as it begins. Grand total of 2 major exams over an average of 2 years. PACRAT and PANCE. Neither are too tough an exam.

Medical school is like running a marathon. You have to keep pace or you run the risk of them closing the race on you at some point, and although the pain may not ever exceed that of PA school's 5K, and may in fact be less intense at any one point on the timeline, it is 3-4 times as long a journey. The journey is emotionally, physically, and financially devastating to many people. With medical school being 4 years, it alone is at least like running a half marathon, followed immediately without delay by another half marathon to full marathon called residency. Residency is even harder than the first half of the marathon called medical school. The minimum residency is 3 years, with many 4, some 5, and several 7-9 years depending on the choice one makes. The hours are infinitely brutal. The work hours restrictions are self policed and thus they actually do not exist unless you want to rat yourself and program out. Because of such many people work 100 plus hours a week.

Take it from someone who has been a PA student, a medical student, a resident precepting both types of students, and an attending now, that PA students by and large are treated differently by residents in academic hospitals. Residents often follow the tradition of eating their young so-to-speak and love to give the medical students grief. Sometimes unconsciously as I have witnessed on many occasions the PA students do not get quite as much grief. Often the rotations are shorter, like where a PA student spends one month on IM the med students might spend 2-3. Same with surgery. It's just a slightly different set of expectations and curriculi.

Thanks, I was more interested in hearing about the differences per the learning objectives I listed, where a response told me that somehow we are just supposed to know that med students go into infinite more detail. I'm pretty well aware of the differences in lengths of education, and if you read back up through my posts you'll see that I try to give due credit to that.

Incidentally, thanks for pointing out that medical school is a journey which is "emotionally, physically, and financially devastating to many people." Compared of course to all students in PA programs who didn't need to interview, and just walk across the street to the PA school across from their homes where they resided before applying. No one of them ever had to uproot their family, or take out any type of student loans, surely we can all acknowledge that. Why, everyone knows that most PA students simply attend the programs at the same community college where they took their prerequisite coursework!

This thread has turned into yet another MD versus PA thread. I regret attempting to educate some on the PA model of education. In fact, I'm sorry I defended the rights of PAs who want to attend the DO bridge program. Actually, maybe I agree with all who were originally protesting ... maybe it's just not a good thing. Maybe PAs should think of their career goals before going to PA school and then expecting a free ride simply because they were uneducated enough in the medical fields before deciding what they wanted to be.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the avg age of folks who do the pa to doc bridge program will be > 32.
most of them will have a prior bs, a few yrs in health care before pa school, an ms from pa school and > 5 yrs as a pa before entering the bridge program.
it wouldn't surprise me if the age range was 28-50.
I'm still on the fence about the program. at this point all I need is to take the mcat but the relocation and supporting the family while in school are holding me back. if this program was local to me it would be a no brainer.
and believe it or not I would actually do primary care at this point(rural fm).

That was my point. Perhaps those that have been PAs and then became doctors can advise as to how old they were when they went down that path.

I doubt many were 24 though it's entirely possible.

I'm guessing those that became PAs did so in their early 20s, and then worked for 2-3+ years before they considered going back to medical school. At which time they then spent 1-2 years with pre-reqs and MCATs. That would make the average PA that went to medical school older than the average 24yr old med school student, and 24 yrs old is a pretty young 'average' - that's a lot of < 24yr olds.

So, we can assume that everyone agrees:

1) Most PAs do NOT have to take Anatomy and Physiology before entering PA school.

Dang! It figures the 2 programs near me require those courses....

PA Program at Samuel Merritt
- Prerequisite courses:
  1. A minimum of 16 semester units of biological sciences are required including human anatomy*, human physiology* and microbiology*. The remaining units can be in any area of the biological sciences.
  2. A minimum of 8 semester units of chemistry* are required. This must include 4 semester units of Inorganic Chemistry and 4 semester units of Organic Chemistry.
PA Program at UC Davis -

1. Human Anatomy (including lab)
    three semester units or five quarter units
  2. Human Physiology (including lab)
    three semester units or five quarter units

FireCloud9, its pretty clear to me that your mind is made up. So, why I am bothering to try and inform you? No idea, probably to avoid studying.

The average age for most medical schools are 23-24 now (a lot of people take at least one year off before starting).

What your observation points out, is against what many people try to claim--that experience in healthcare translates into an understanding of the basic sciences (aka an understanding of the "why" of medicine).... so, your argument that time and experience in the health care field can make it "more difficult" to come back and succeed in M1-2, implies that experience in healthcare won't translate to an understanding of disease mechanisms and processes. (though, I am sure you will now try to back track out of that).

I will grant that time away from traditional school does it make it more difficult to come and sit to take a test. However, I know many who succceed in the basic science years who worked in social work, business, teaching, nursing, and other fields (some a post-bac and then move forward).

The trend I seem to see, is that the better the undergraduate preparation of the student--however long ago that would be, the better their success, especially in the first two years (hence, admissions personal using MCAT and GPA in admissions).

So, again, as I previously stated. All that matters to me for any bridge is that the person with the best credentials is selected. And that people do not get to "bypass" competition because of previous healthcare experience because as you previously explained, that does not necessarily lead to success in M1-M2

P.S. Then of course, you'll argue that success in M1-M2 doesn't mean you'll be a successful physician, blah balh.... sorry, but that argument holds no ground with me. I am a FIRM believer, that only an understanding why and pathological processes that allows physicians can be the decision maker in healthcare (so do residencies apparently, with the high emphasis placed on Step 1)

eh FutureDoc4,

That's a beautiful strawman you've got there....

I wasn't making any claims related to healthcare experience.

Merely pointing out, as observed in numerous studies, that age (memory) is a factor.

Recall abilities in early 20s immediately following college no less (even if taking a year off), are much greater than recall abilities in later years, particularly after multi-year breaks from college.

"The average age for most medical schools are 23-24 now (a lot of people take at least one year off before starting)."

That doesn't necessarily tell us that they took a year off (may be the case, but without data who is to say). It can simply be that they graduated college in 5 or 6yrs instead of the traditional 4yrs, or graduated H.S. later making them older upon graduating college, or spent that year improving their chances by retaking coursework, etc.

I did a quick online search and found an admittedly old study.

"For every 100 students who started college at 1,385 different 4-year institutions throughout the U.S. in 2001, only about 53 graduated from the same college within six years, according to a report released last week by the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think-tank that researches public policy."

In the Sacramento region, Sacramento State University was in the news a few months back because of the time it takes students to graduate - 4yrs is only possible if the courses needed are not already full. If I recall correctly, the average nowadays for state schools is around 5yrs. Probably not much of an issue at an Ivy league university though.

The reasons vary from course unavailability to students that have to work, but the net effect is the same, fewer and fewer are able to graduate in the traditional 4yrs.

Both my wife and I graduated H.S. at 18. Not because we were left back, but because we were born mid-way through the school year, so too young to enter kindergarten at 4 and turned 5 midway.

So, 18+5yrs would put us at 23 had we gone to med school. Nevertheless, whether we're talking 23-24 with or without a year off, that's quite different than someone who goes to college, then a PA program, and then med school which would be unlikely without working as a PA first.

So a traditional med school student range would be:

17 (age at H.S. completion) +4 (years to college completion) =21
17+5=22
18+4=22
18+5=23

(other combinations are possible 16+X, but these likely cover most of the range)

A non-traditional med school student with college, PA, and work may look like this:

17+4+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 24
17+5+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 25
18+4+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 25
18+5+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 26

How likely is the 1yr work variable? I suspect highly unlikely though there are always exceptions. Since many PA programs require 1-4k+ hours of experience we can loosely translate to mean 6mo. to 2yrs before the PA program. So we can simply add that.

range 24.5 - 26.5
range 25.5 - 27.5
range 26.5 - 28.5

If we assumed they worked 2 or 3 years as PA before med school (probably more common than 1yr)

2yr work - range 26.5 - 28.5
2yr work - range 27.5 - 29.5
2yr work - range 28.5 - 30.5

3yr work - range 27.5 - 29.5
3yr work - range 28.5 - 30.5
3yr work - range 29.5 - 31.5

I'm not debating the merits of being a PA or their healthcare knowledge base and how it compares to med school students. Simply observing longer time spent away from school and age.

You can make the argument that not all PAs attend college. This would be a fair observation. So they may in fact replace 4yrs of college with 2yrs of an AA, though one may also assume that in many such cases they spent time as EMTs or in other healthcare roles prior to PA, so it might be a bit of a wash.

Net-net: I just think that part of the reason that PAs in med school don't do as well in the beginning may be due to 1. years spent away from theoretical academics, study habits, etc. and 2. a decline in memory recall which begins in your mid 20s according to Dr. Oz. :D

(Surely you cannot refute a leading doctor in the profession you hope to join one day) :p

For the purposes of this discussion, we'll use 25 as the absolute (though we both know that's not how it works).

All else being equal, those that are 23-24 (or younger) have a memory recall advantage than those that are 26-27.

Additionally, they have less time away from academic preparation, and recent exposure to relevant subject matter in academic setting as well as test taking, study habits, etc.

But this entire discussion and speculation as it were is really unnecessary, are there no statistics that show the average age of PAs (when they entered med school) that became MDs?

Members don't see this ad :)
eh FutureDoc4,

That's a beautiful strawman you've got there....

I wasn't making any claims related to healthcare experience.

Merely pointing out, as observed in numerous studies, that age (memory) is a factor.

Recall abilities in early 20s immediately following college no less (even if taking a year off), are much greater than recall abilities in later years, particularly after multi-year breaks from college.

"The average age for most medical schools are 23-24 now (a lot of people take at least one year off before starting)."

That doesn't necessarily tell us that they took a year off (may be the case, but without data who is to say). It can simply be that they graduated college in 5 or 6yrs instead of the traditional 4yrs, or graduated H.S. later making them older upon graduating college, or spent that year improving their chances by retaking coursework, etc.

I did a quick online search and found an admittedly old study.

"For every 100 students who started college at 1,385 different 4-year institutions throughout the U.S. in 2001, only about 53 graduated from the same college within six years, according to a report released last week by the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative think-tank that researches public policy."

In the Sacramento region, Sacramento State University was in the news a few months back because of the time it takes students to graduate - 4yrs is only possible if the courses needed are not already full. If I recall correctly, the average nowadays for state schools is around 5yrs. Probably not much of an issue at an Ivy league university though.

The reasons vary from course unavailability to students that have to work, but the net effect is the same, fewer and fewer are able to graduate in the traditional 4yrs.

Both my wife and I graduated H.S. at 18. Not because we were left back, but because we were born mid-way through the school year, so too young to enter kindergarten at 4 and turned 5 midway.

So, 18+5yrs would put us at 23 had we gone to med school. Nevertheless, whether we're talking 23-24 with or without a year off, that's quite different than someone who goes to college, then a PA program, and then med school which would be unlikely without working as a PA first.

So a traditional med school student range would be:

17 (age at H.S. completion) +4 (years to college completion) =21
17+5=22
18+4=22
18+5=23

(other combinations are possible 16+X, but these likely cover most of the range)

A non-traditional med school student with college, PA, and work may look like this:

17+4+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 24
17+5+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 25
18+4+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 25
18+5+2 (PA program) + 1 (work) = 26

How likely is the 1yr work variable? I suspect highly unlikely though there are always exceptions. Since many PA programs require 1-4k+ hours of experience we can loosely translate to mean 6mo. to 2yrs before the PA program. So we can simply add that.

range 24.5 - 26.5
range 25.5 - 27.5
range 26.5 - 28.5

If we assumed they worked 2 or 3 years as PA before med school (probably more common than 1yr)

2yr work - range 26.5 - 28.5
2yr work - range 27.5 - 29.5
2yr work - range 28.5 - 30.5

3yr work - range 27.5 - 29.5
3yr work - range 28.5 - 30.5
3yr work - range 29.5 - 31.5

I'm not debating the merits of being a PA or their healthcare knowledge base and how it compares to med school students. Simply observing longer time spent away from school and age.

You can make the argument that not all PAs attend college. This would be a fair observation. So they may in fact replace 4yrs of college with 2yrs of an AA, though one may also assume that in many such cases they spent time as EMTs or in other healthcare roles prior to PA, so it might be a bit of a wash.

Net-net: I just think that part of the reason that PAs in med school don't do as well in the beginning may be due to 1. years spent away from theoretical academics, study habits, etc. and 2. a decline in memory recall which begins in your mid 20s according to Dr. Oz. :D

(Surely you cannot refute a leading doctor in the profession you hope to join one day) :p

For the purposes of this discussion, we'll use 25 as the absolute (though we both know that's not how it works).

All else being equal, those that are 23-24 (or younger) have a memory recall advantage than those that are 26-27.

Additionally, they have less time away from academic preparation, and recent exposure to relevant subject matter in academic setting as well as test taking, study habits, etc.

But this entire discussion and speculation as it were is really unnecessary, are there no statistics that show the average age of PAs (when they entered med school) that became MDs?

This was an awefully long post, that missed the point and said a lot about nothing.

Let me give you the simple version:

Does this program (bridge), utilize "experience" as a bypass for competing with others that have better (stellar) academic performance in the classroom. Period.

If so, I am against it. If not, I am ALL for it.

P.S. Your incoherent rambles also did not address how many people (from various backgrounds business, social work), who decide on medicine (that are older), later on, seem to also do exceedingly well also (do not misunderstand me (I am sure you will desperately try to do), I am not saying all PAs and nurses struggle in medical school---there is one amazing one in my class).

I have just noticed (notice, anecdotal) that they struggle more with the basic sciences, and the fact cannot be explained by age differences, because there are others that come from different careers and backgrounds (just as old that do not struggle/and those that do).

The POINT, that you seem to be missing (almost on purpose?), is that experience--regardless of how "great", does not make up for academic prowess.

There are older students that struggle in medical school, younger students that struggle in medical schools, hell... I've seen an MD/PhD students struggle in medical school. But, all we can do is admit people based on past academic performance and social aptitude.

P.P.S. I do not know a single person in my class that took 5-6 years to graduate undergrad. Again, anecdotal, but, I would love to see some hard evidence of this. More often, I see people take a research year (NIH etc) to boilster their medical school application.

Why is that some of you seem to have so much "insight" about medicine and medical school, but are not physicians and/or medical students. Who I would love to hear more from, are PAs and nurses who made the transition and their thoughts and feelings.

To see that I am not just "pulling your chain" about the difficult transition please see here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=717179 (I am sure the transition is very individual)

GEEEZZ>.. I couldn't even read through your entire post earlier (do to its ramblings), but I just saw you quoted 'Dr. Oz', really? Please tell me you are NOT going to be a healthcare professional

Last edited:
This was an awefully long post, that missed the point and said a lot about nothing.

Let me give you the simple version:

Does this program (bridge), utilize "experience" as a bypass for competing with others that have better (stellar) academic performance in the classroom. Period.

If so, I am against it. If not, I am ALL for it.

P.S. Your incoherent rambles also did not address how many people (from various backgrounds business, social work), who decide on medicine (that are older), later on, seem to also do exceedingly well also (do not misunderstand me (I am sure you will desperately try to do), I am not saying all PAs and nurses struggle in medical school---there is one amazing one in my class).

I have just noticed (notice, anecdotal) that they struggle more with the basic sciences, and the fact cannot be explained by age differences, because there are others that come from different careers and backgrounds (just as old that do not struggle/and those that do).

The POINT, that you seem to be missing (almost on purpose?), is that experience--regardless of how "great", does not make up for academic prowess.

There are older students that struggle in medical school, younger students that struggle in medical schools, hell... I've seen an MD/PhD students struggle in medical school. But, all we can do is admit people based on past academic performance and social aptitude.

P.P.S. I do not know a single person in my class that took 5-6 years to graduate undergrad. Again, anecdotal, but, I would love to see some hard evidence of this. More often, I see people take a research year (NIH etc) to boilster their medical school application.

Why is that some of you seem to have so much "insight" about medicine and medical school, but are not physicians and/or medical students. Who I would love to hear more from, are PAs and nurses who made the transition and their thoughts and feelings.

To see that I am not just "pulling your chain" about the difficult transition please see here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=717179 (I am sure the transition is very individual)

GEEEZZ>.. I couldn't even read through your entire post earlier (do to its ramblings), but I just saw you quoted 'Dr. Oz', really? Please tell me you are NOT going to be a healthcare professional

I was simply speculating as to why PAs may do worse in the 1st year of med school.

Since all of your observations are anecdotal, and not scientific, there really is no basis for the statement that PAs on average do worse in the 1st year of med school.

As for Dr. Oz, did you miss the smiley face? Regardless, is Harvard and UPenn Med school not good enough for you? Seems to be good enough to be Prof. of surgery at Columbia U. and to work at NY Presbyterian, and the hundreds of heart surgery patients....

I hope you're not using "academic performance" as a bypass for competing with others that have better (stellar) IQ+EQ....:rolleyes:

Sorry to burst your bubble there FutureDoc4, but this "academic prowess" you speak of is bypassed all the time by pre-med students.... by

1. Taking coursework across a number of different colleges,
2. Repeating courses,
3. Selecting "easier" professors,
4. Debating final grades with professors,
5. Auditing classes before taking them,
6. Dropping classes (before "W" on transcript) and retaking them after prepping for them,
7. Having someone else take the course for you
8. Having professors whose exams are similar from semester to semester, and having access to previous exams.
9. Having someone take the MCAT for you
10. Bypassing the MCAT - In U.S. not caribbean (don't know if Bryn Mawr still does it, but once upon a time, if you attended and maintained high enough grades in their post-bac pre-med program, you could be accepted to a med school they have agreements with without taking the MCAT).
11. Sleeping with the professor ;)

Over the years, I have seen all sorts of combinations, strategies, and tactics - above board and otherwise.

And these are just a few tactics, not even accounting for other methods to "game" the system.

I've seen 1st hand what it takes for people to graduate from a good college with a 4.0 without cheating of any kind (my ex did it) - support, resources, and countless hours of studying - not necessarily intelligence.

My best friend, also a 4.0 grad, took a bit longer 5.5yrs - he wanted to make sure those more difficult classes could be taken in isolation with extensive resources and preparation at his disposal (his wife is a model - one that makes over $1M a year).

My average, not as impressive. A mere 3.3, done while working a full-time job, and none of the support, resources, shifting of classes (few prof. options at night), etc.

I've also seen 1st hand people graduate college with top grades (from a top institution) without ever setting foot on campus (and this is before the days of online classes) - all it took was money - lots of it.

So please, spare me the academic prowess bit. I spent enough years in academic settings to see all angles play out.

I was simply speculating as to why PAs may do worse in the 1st year of med school.

Since all of your observations are anecdotal, and not scientific, there really is no basis for the statement that PAs on average do worse in the 1st year of med school.

As for Dr. Oz, did you miss the smiley face? Regardless, is Harvard and UPenn Med school not good enough for you? Seems to be good enough to be Prof. of surgery at Columbia U. and to work at NY Presbyterian, and the hundreds of heart surgery patients....

I hope you're not using "academic performance" as a bypass for competing with others that have better (stellar) IQ+EQ....:rolleyes:

Sorry to burst your bubble there FutureDoc4, but this "academic prowess" you speak of is bypassed all the time by pre-med students.... by

1. Taking coursework across a number of different colleges,
2. Repeating courses,
3. Selecting "easier" professors,
4. Debating final grades with professors,
5. Auditing classes before taking them,
6. Dropping classes (before "W" on transcript) and retaking them after prepping for them,
7. Having someone else take the course for you
8. Having professors whose exams are similar from semester to semester, and having access to previous exams.
9. Having someone take the MCAT for you
10. Bypassing the MCAT - In U.S. not caribbean (don't know if Bryn Mawr still does it, but once upon a time, if you attended and maintained high enough grades in their post-bac pre-med program, you could be accepted to a med school they have agreements with without taking the MCAT).
11. Sleeping with the professor ;)

Over the years, I have seen all sorts of combinations, strategies, and tactics - above board and otherwise.

And these are just a few tactics, not even accounting for other methods to "game" the system.

I've seen 1st hand what it takes for people to graduate from a good college with a 4.0 without cheating of any kind (my ex did it) - support, resources, and countless hours of studying - not necessarily intelligence.

My best friend, also a 4.0 grad, took a bit longer 5.5yrs - he wanted to make sure those more difficult classes could be taken in isolation with extensive resources and preparation at his disposal (his wife is a model - one that makes over $1M a year).

My average, not as impressive. A mere 3.3, done while working a full-time job, and none of the support, resources, shifting of classes (few prof. options at night), etc.

I've also seen 1st hand people graduate college with top grades (from a top institution) without ever setting foot on campus (and this is before the days of online classes) - all it took was money - lots of it.

So please, spare me the academic prowess bit. I spent enough years in academic settings to see all angles play out.

Well a few things:

A) My observations are anecdotal cause there is no hard evidence on this. And when there is no hard evidence, all you can go on is what you've seen (observation) (please see the pubmed study on parachutes and jumping out of planes if interested---I found it for you). See if you get the hint: http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/327/7429/1459

B) Your rantings still address NONE (and by none, I mean my only) concern with the program. Competing with all these people you seem to think "gamed" the system.

C) Dr. Oz has great credentials but medical advice from his website, is meant to attract RATINGS. Nothing more.

D) There will always be cheaters and people to "game" the system. But, eventually the system weeds them out either in medical school or beyond in residency (unfortunately, the later they are weeded out the worse off for patients).

You seem to be a bit "older" than I am, but gaming the system (especially for standardized tests), is not so easy anymore (granted with enough money, one can do anything).

But, for the USMLE and the MCAT are now given via computer format that require computer finger printing before the test, after the tests, and any time you leave the room (aka bathroom). Making it very difficult for people to take tests for you.

I do not want to digress to much, cause you still ultimately failed to identify with the problem at hand.

I don't care if you are a PA, nurse, PhD in molecular biology, you should have to compete with the rest of the applicant pool and be held to the same academic standards as everyone else. And yes, there are people with PhDs that do struggle through medical school. There is never a guarantee of success, we just have to admit people most likely to succeed because it is an expensive process (for the student and the school).

P.S. We should all be so lucky to have model wifes, pulling in a cool million to support us during out studies. My hats off to him. I never, (do my best to, but I have been guilty) neither should anyone else, use others advantages as a scapegoat for our own shortcomings.

Starpower, I saw you came back and edited something before I got to see what it was? Care to add to the discussion?

Last edited:
I want to comment on the possible ramifications on this decisions.

Lets say that the initial trial is successful and PAs are able to get through medical school, pass the boards etc.

It will mean that more US graduates with MD/DO degrees in the future.

1) More accessibility for patients
2) Less reliance on poor quality IMGs while still taking all-star IMGs.
3) Possibly a postive feedback on PA training?
4) Increased competition leading to negative feedback on NPs, prescribing psychologists etc
5) Cementing the MD/DO-PA dynamic in medicine as phsycians become vastly more comfortable with PAs.

I think this is a good thing.

Thanks, I was more interested in hearing about the differences per the learning objectives I listed, where a response told me that somehow we are just supposed to know that med students go into infinite more detail. I'm pretty well aware of the differences in lengths of education, and if you read back up through my posts you'll see that I try to give due credit to that.

Incidentally, thanks for pointing out that medical school is a journey which is "emotionally, physically, and financially devastating to many people." Compared of course to all students in PA programs who didn't need to interview, and just walk across the street to the PA school across from their homes where they resided before applying. No one of them ever had to uproot their family, or take out any type of student loans, surely we can all acknowledge that. Why, everyone knows that most PA students simply attend the programs at the same community college where they took their prerequisite coursework!

This thread has turned into yet another MD versus PA thread. I regret attempting to educate some on the PA model of education. In fact, I'm sorry I defended the rights of PAs who want to attend the DO bridge program. Actually, maybe I agree with all who were originally protesting ... maybe it's just not a good thing. Maybe PAs should think of their career goals before going to PA school and then expecting a free ride simply because they were uneducated enough in the medical fields before deciding what they wanted to be.

I really agree with this. I get very frustrated when people often think that physicians are the only group of people that have long and hard journeys. From experience I know it was a hard road applying to PA school and attending PA school. Even getting enough healthcare experience was a big challenge. EMS was out of the question for me because I didn't drive back then. It was hard to get a medical assistant position in my area, because doctors wanted people with years of experience or graduates from a medical assisting program.

Getting a Ph.D in mathematics was also a long, long, long journey where I had to teach as a junior faculty member while being responsible for my research, coursework, and dissertation.

Manicsleep, I agree with you...and I think the visionaries of this program would agree as well.
Think about it: who is better-suited to educate and advocate for PAs than a physician who has also been a PA? ;) I'm a PA educator now. I love medical education (although more on the clinical practice side than the classroom side.) I envision furthering this interest as a physician...and why not? Endless possibilities.
:idea:

I want to comment on the possible ramifications on this decisions.

Lets say that the initial trial is successful and PAs are able to get through medical school, pass the boards etc.

It will mean that more US graduates with MD/DO degrees in the future.

1) More accessibility for patients
2) Less reliance on poor quality IMGs while still taking all-star IMGs.
3) Possibly a postive feedback on PA training?
4) Increased competition leading to negative feedback on NPs, prescribing psychologists etc
5) Cementing the MD/DO-PA dynamic in medicine as phsycians become vastly more comfortable with PAs.

I think this is a good thing.

No, I was 'bashing' someone who was careless and insensitive enough to convey INCORRECT information to a patient, telling them that one of their organs had FAILED when this was UNTRUE.

Do you get that?

I don't care if you're a Physician, PA, Nurse, or Preacher, you don't operate in such a manner. Or then again, maybe you think that's acceptable ... I don't. And yes, I did say that I had seen some stupid patients. Here, I'll quote myself:Also on that rotation did I see people who did nothing about their hypertension and diabetes, and are now paying the price for it. Tell me, do you think that was smart of them?

How dare you neglect to note my accolades of many Physicians and patients on my blog, in an attempt to shed a negative light on me. That was one of the lowest things I've heard from anyone in a long time, in or out of the medical community. I wouldn't feel too proud of that, if I were you.

Your skills of comprehension and evaluation are highly questionable, in my opinion. As well, my blog is where I get to air how I feel and where I get to write about the true grit of my rotations, it's not your place or anyone elses to try and discredit me for that. As a result, you are showing of very poor character at this moment. Incidentally, I receive high honors from most of my preceptors, and have been working with patients for years.

1.)The reasons I said that are as follows: Are you the Physician or Lead PA on that case? Would you know EVERYTHING about transplant medicines on a rotation? Highly doubt it. Transplanted organs fail- ALL of them. The Physician could have been saying that this organ was in the process of failing and totally been right or failed and you didn't know how/what to interpret to gain that insight. Psst-Your just a student remember?
2.)You say things about patient's and Physician's being not so bright? But you do this on a PUBLIC forum? Hmmmm who has questionable judgment?
3.)Also how old are you? You seem so full of hatred? Are you unhappy about your decisions prior to becoming a PA? Or did you not get into the place you really wanted to be?
4.)I have offered to talk with you on a less public forum such as gchat or Yahoo so we can learn more about each other.
5.) Yay! you received high honors! So did I(On all my rotations) but that means nothing. Again, I know people such as yourself who failed the PANCE. You also mention you have worked with patient's for years? Where is that word I can't remember hmmm what is it HUMILITY. You are just a student at this point in your career and I would hate it if you were in my ER or Clinic with that attitude.
6.)Lastly, my comprehension skills are fine. Ask the MD/DO schools that accepted me lol. Just negative things tend to stick out a heck of a lot more than positive when they come so blatantly from a PA-s. Work for a few years as as PA-C and then give me some concrete findings and then come back and talk to me.

Busy as usual apologize for the typos.
PS-Starpower I hope you have a good career but I hope you see the error of your ways soon....

Keep in mind that most people don't get into medical school on their first try, which would explain the 23,24 mean age. Also, one person that is 50 years old will definitely skew the mean in the class. (well, several people that are middle-aged)

I conclude, perhaps incorrectly, that the majority of medical students are traditional students due to the fact that most don't get accepted their first application year.

I have now worked at 3 institutions where I have had the opportunity see medical students long term. A 4th where I saw them for 1 year.

Majority are straight out of college but enough are mid 20s and a few a older/non traditional to make that number seem appropriate. Actually I bet that number is actually higher if you take out the 6/7 year medical schools that take people right out of high school.

Overall though, I think that is the goldilocks number if you average everything.

1.)The reasons I said that are as follows: Are you the Physician or Lead PA on that case? Would you know EVERYTHING about transplant medicines on a rotation? Highly doubt it. Transplanted organs fail- ALL of them. The Physician could have been saying that this organ was in the process of failing and totally been right or failed and you didn't know how/what to interpret to gain that insight. Psst-Your just a student remember?
2.)You say things about patient's and Physician's being not so bright? But you do this on a PUBLIC forum? Hmmmm who has questionable judgment?
3.)Also how old are you? You seem so full of hatred? Are you unhappy about your decisions prior to becoming a PA? Or did you not get into the place you really wanted to be?
4.)I have offered to talk with you on a less public forum such as gchat or Yahoo so we can learn more about each other.
5.) Yay! you received high honors! So did I(On all my rotations) but that means nothing. Again, I know people such as yourself who failed the PANCE. You also mention you have worked with patient's for years? Where is that word I can't remember hmmm what is it HUMILITY. You are just a student at this point in your career and I would hate it if you were in my ER or Clinic with that attitude.
6.)Lastly, my comprehension skills are fine. Ask the MD/DO schools that accepted me lol. Just negative things tend to stick out a heck of a lot more than positive when they come so blatantly from a PA-s. Work for a few years as as PA-C and then give me some concrete findings and then come back and talk to me.

Busy as usual apologize for the typos.
PS-Starpower I hope you have a good career but I hope you see the error of your ways soon....

Wow, you just don't stop digging, do you?

1) Were YOU there? Do you know ANYTHING about a patient who MY team was following? Do you have any idea how infuriated MY attending and resident were? Oh, but really, no, I'm sure you know MUCH more than THEY did. This is just one of the many Physicians I "bash" on my blog, right? Never mind that she was heavily REPRIMANDED. Keep going, you're making yourself look more and more ridiculous.

2) You know what, I'm tiring quickly of your lame flamewar, so I'm going to put a stop to it from my end. One last thing I will say, and your powers of comprehension may want to heed this carefully ... I'M MALE. And incidentally, I've already had multiple job offers from Doctors who've worked with me in ERs for years, so, sorry, you probably won't have to worry about working with me anytime soon.

Now, further than that, LEAVE ME ALONE. I've had enough of your attempts to discredit and belittle me.

Last edited:
Starpower: seriously, let it go. It really is uncool to see this angry PA-S griping at professional PA-Cs, medical students, and attending physicians in this very thread which is ALL ABOUT graduate PAs finally (after 40-odd years!) being offered another pathway to complete their medical education.

It's not about you. :sleep:

If that is all I had to do to get Starpower to go poof I would have done it posts ago!

Back to the topic at hand-Does anyone have an estimate of how many people will apply for this D.O. bridge initially? Does the group think that in 3 years that other schools will follow suit?

Primadonna-Thanks but some people are so angry they are blinded by their own hubris. I bet you have seen it a time or two yourself.

I honestly have no idea. I would like to know what kind of competition exists...although I will say I have already had a few friends/former students ask me "Is it true?" and I point them to the link.

My guess is that LECOM doesn't yet know what kind of response there will be, but they have done their homework in terms of researching the demand. I wouldn't be surprised if a few good candidates sit out a cycle or two to see how things shake out first. I don't mind being a trailblazer myself and I really want this program to succeed ;)

and p.s. you're right about the young'un. If this were my student I would be horrified. And embarrassed. And that embarrassment would trickle down to bad stuff in the student's file...folks need to remember they are NOT as anonymous as they think they are on the WWW.

:idea:
:eek:
Back to the topic at hand-Does anyone have an estimate of how many people will apply for this D.O. bridge initially? Does the group think that in 3 years that other schools will follow suit?

Primadonna-Thanks but some people are so angry they are blinded by their own hubris. I bet you have seen it a time or two yourself.

Starpower: seriously, let it go. It really is uncool to see this angry PA-S griping at professional PA-Cs, medical students, and attending physicians in this very thread which is ALL ABOUT graduate PAs finally (after 40-odd years!) being offered another pathway to complete their medical education.

It's not about you. :sleep:

Wow. Let me try and explain this one more time.

People were saying that PAs were unworthy of deserving the PA to DO bridge.

I jumped in and started explaining what type of breadth PA education consisted of.

People started protesting that PAs do not have to take A&P as pre-reqs, and that all PAs take their pre-reqs at community colleges. This is where you two started attacking me, for some god unknown reason! When I was defending you!

I'm really disappointed in you prima, I would have thought you were better than intimidation and threats, especially in light of the reality of this situation.

I hope everything is cleared up, and you understand that a) I'm male (lmao), and that b) you really need to read all posts in a thread, carefully, before you make assumptions about what's going on and jumping in.

Last edited:
Ignore the unimportant stuff Starpower. It's the only way to get through. Don't sweat the small stuff. I've read the whole thread (well, skimmed your messages as they're just too long) and for the most part folks are supportive; some skeptical, but that's fine. I'm skeptical and I've applied :D I've been doing this a WHOLE lot longer than you so I have a very different perspective. :laugh:
I'm not too worried about your disappointment. Folks have been disappointed in me before. I'm pretty sure my PA students will be disappointed next week when they take my EM Midterm too. :eek:
I don't feel any need to be defended here...this is SDN. If you want to play nice and have a cerebral debate with David Carpenter, go to the PA Forum. (Oh wait, David's on here too, but he has more free time than I do. Or so it seems although I know he's pretty busy and with only 2 hands he manages to stir quite a few pots. He's been a PA for as long as I have (E for a bit longer). But I'm not sure how he views this transition because I haven't asked him.) (You may have noticed I don't tolerate high-handed self-important self-absorbed BS on the PA Forum either....)
:p

Wow. Let me try and explain this one more time.

People were saying that PAs were unworthy of deserving the PA to DO bridge.

I jumped in and started explaining what type of breadth PA education consisted of.

People started protesting that PAs do not have to take A&P as pre-reqs, and that all PAs take their pre-reqs at community colleges. This is where you two started attacking me, for some god unknown reason! When I was defending you!

I'm really disappointed in you prima, I would have thought you were better than intimidation and threats, especially in light of the reality of this situation.

I hope everything is cleared up, and you understand that a) I'm male (lmao), and that b) you really need to read all posts in a thread, carefully, before you make assumptions about what's going on and jumping in.

No one said this. Quote me the area that did. People said it was a "no-no" for medical school applications to take prereqs at community college (no one assumed, that all PAs take prereqs at community college--I NEVER thought that).

Wagy posted "that he knew lots of PAs that took prereqs at community college"

That's as close as you got to that statement.

Then we discussed that is almost universally unacceptable for medical school application. But, NO one said that all PAs take their classes at community college.

Someone tried to point out that the prereqs included anatomy, microbiology etc. I pointed out PA programs that do not (I have found a few more if interested) and SAID I would retract that statement as a generalization, if nationally the majority (>70%) required those specific classes. You gotta look to see what people are saying/

Many of us are pretty verse in others education--especially on this forum (because we might of considered other paths ourselves). Otherwise, what would some of us be doing on this forum?

I think you tend to jump on posts, without taking a breathe and thinking about the argument.

No one here, since I have been following the posts, thinks little of PAs. I have lots of respect for them and their education. But, its different than that of a physician ( many of us have tried to point out). And some raised the concerns about the notion of a bridge.

Someone tried to point out that the prereqs included anatomy, microbiology etc. I pointed out PA programs that do not (I have found a few more if interested) and SAID I would retract that statement as a generalization, if nationally the majority (>70%) required those specific classes. You gotta look to see what people are saying/

I quoted you multiple links of PA programs which require Anatomy and Physiology, and I assure you that there are many, many more. I don't have time at the moment, but I'd be happy to quote you others. I'd be surprised if you've found too many that differ from that model, and I will bet dime to dollars that >70% don't.

Many of us are pretty verse in others education--especially on this forum (because we might of considered other paths ourselves). Otherwise, what would some of us be doing on this forum?

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm not convinced.

I have lots of respect for them and their education. But, its different than that of a physician (many of us have tried to point out).

Yes, I've pointed that out as well (although I'm still interested in hearing more details). And I'm glad to hear that you think no one here thinks little of PAs. Let's be hopeful.

I have been under a lot of stress, and I apologize if I got a little snappy. I've worked so hard to get where I am, it's difficult hearing people (indirectly) dismiss what I've accomplished so lightly as fluff. And that could apply to other PAs, who may be interested in the PA-DO bridge (although I'm not, I've always wanted to be a PA). Anyhow, bowing out for now.

Last edited:
So I'm still confused by how this program would work for residency. You start rotations in March of year 2, in order to start residency the following summer you'd have to submit your applications in the fall of your third year, having done only half your third year rotations, and no sub Is. The main reason that there is a fourth year of medical school is because it takes time to get letters of recommendations, take step 2, do your applications, go on interviews for a few months. They need to have finished their rotations to get a dean's letter. Is the plan of this new system that people would graduate from medical school and then do all their applications during a year off? Would they be able to do sub-Is, since they would have graduated they wouldn't be covered by malpractice. Could they even work as PAs during that year off given that they would have their MDs at that point?

I have nothing against this program, I just don't understand the logistics of it. And I think that program directors wouldn't take a chance of giving a spot to people who haven't finished half their third year rotations. One of the points of the current system is that by the time rank lists are submitted students have usual finished their required rotations, very little chance they would fail out. What happens if a residency matched someone who then failed a third year rotation and couldn't start in June?

Also noticed that this pathway is approved by osteopathic organizations, so would graduates be able to apply for allopathic residencies?

I look at the website, didn't find answers to this. I know it's a new program but I'd be interested if anyone involved could lay out exactly how these three year DO students will apply to residency. And if you are thinking of applying, I'd ask the school the same question. I'd be very hesitant to apply if they can't give you a good answer.

So I'm still confused by how this program would work for residency. You start rotations in March of year 2, in order to start residency the following summer you'd have to submit your applications in the fall of your third year, having done only half your third year rotations, and no sub Is. The main reason that there is a fourth year of medical school is because it takes time to get letters of recommendations, take step 2, do your applications, go on interviews for a few months. They need to have finished their rotations to get a dean's letter. Is the plan of this new system that people would graduate from medical school and then do all their applications during a year off? Would they be able to do sub-Is, since they would have graduated they wouldn't be covered by malpractice. Could they even work as PAs during that year off given that they would have their MDs at that point?

I have nothing against this program, I just don't understand the logistics of it. And I think that program directors wouldn't take a chance of giving a spot to people who haven't finished half their third year rotations. One of the points of the current system is that by the time rank lists are submitted students have usual finished their required rotations, very little chance they would fail out. What happens if a residency matched someone who then failed a third year rotation and couldn't start in June?

Also noticed that this pathway is approved by osteopathic organizations, so would graduates be able to apply for allopathic residencies?

I look at the website, didn't find answers to this. I know it's a new program but I'd be interested if anyone involved could lay out exactly how these three year DO students will apply to residency. And if you are thinking of applying, I'd ask the school the same question. I'd be very hesitant to apply if they can't give you a good answer.

I'd be happy to answer your questions as a representative from the school. We have precedence with our Primary Care Scholars Pathway (PCSP) which just graduated its first 3 year class. The Accelerated Physician Assistant Pathway (APAP) differs from PCSP in that applicants to APAP are admitted directly into the 3 year program which has no change in the 2 year didactic structure, only requiring 2 rotations the first summer and then 48 more weeks of rotations until graduation. For PSCP, students enter the 4 year program then apply to PCSP. They have a condensed didactic curriculum starting rotations in March of their second year. APAP starts rotations in May.

APAP students will take their first part of the boards in their 2nd year and the second part in the third year. Past LECOM students who were PAs have averaged 62, 88 and 92 points higher than the class average for each part of the boards.

You are eligible to apply to residencies in the third and final year, so for application purposes, you essentially transition from the 2nd year to the 4th year seamlessly with the Dean's letter intact. That means during your third year you interview for residencies on time with all other applicants. There would be no year off until you go into residency. Residency would start immediately following your graduation in May of the third year with residencies starting in Mid June or July 1.

I hear your concern for not having as many medical school rotations by the time you are applying, but don't forget your PA rotations and any other clinical experience you have already had. These are valuable in your applications to residencies.

All of our PCSP graduates this year got their first choice in residencies.
From the feedback we received, these applicants were looked upon as dedicated and driven, increasing their attractiveness to the programs they chose.

I hope I answered all of your questions. If not, please feel free to contact me at any time. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
DokMark,

I might have missed it but did you answer the question about whether these grads will be eligible for ACGME residencies?

I'd be happy to answer your questions as a representative from the school. We have precedence with our Primary Care Scholars Pathway (PCSP) which just graduated its first 3 year class. The Accelerated Physician Assistant Pathway (APAP) differs from PCSP in that applicants to APAP are admitted directly into the 3 year program which has no change in the 2 year didactic structure, only requiring 2 rotations the first summer and then 48 more weeks of rotations until graduation. For PSCP, students enter the 4 year program then apply to PCSP. They have a condensed didactic curriculum starting rotations in March of their second year. APAP starts rotations in May.

APAP students will take their first part of the boards in their 2nd year and the second part in the third year. Past LECOM students who were PAs have averaged 62, 88 and 92 points higher than the class average for each part of the boards.

You are eligible to apply to residencies in the third and final year, so for application purposes, you essentially transition from the 2nd year to the 4th year seamlessly with the Dean's letter intact. That means during your third year you interview for residencies on time with all other applicants. There would be no year off until you go into residency. Residency would start immediately following your graduation in May of the third year with residencies starting in Mid June or July 1.

I hear your concern for not having as many medical school rotations by the time you are applying, but don't forget your PA rotations and any other clinical experience you have already had. These are valuable in your applications to residencies.

All of our PCSP graduates this year got their first choice in residencies.
From the feedback we received, these applicants were looked upon as dedicated and driven, increasing their attractiveness to the programs they chose.

I hope I answered all of your questions. If not, please feel free to contact me at any time. Thank you.

I assume you are referring to the COMPLEX (which I am not sure of the scoring), cause if that were the Steps that wouldn't make sense at all.

I assume you are referring to the COMPLEX (which I am not sure of the scoring), cause if that were the Steps that wouldn't make sense at all.

Yes. That is correct. The COMLEX. Thanks

DokMark,

I might have missed it but did you answer the question about whether these grads will be eligible for ACGME residencies?

Yes, they will be eligible. They will have successfully passed the first two steps of the COMLEX and will graduate by the start of residency. Thank you.

Yes, they will be eligible. They will have successfully passed the first two steps of the COMLEX and will graduate by the start of residency. Thank you.

ACGME residencies... please correct me if I'm wrong, are allopathic residencies (which DOs are available to apply for), but require Steps 1-2, correct? So, these students would have to take Step 1-2 in addition to COMLEX 1-2 (if they desired a ACGME residency) in a very short time frame (If I remember correctly, DO residencies are accredited by AOA)

I am still missing how this can really work:

Take COMLEX I/Step I at the end of second year.

3rd year consists of the "core" rotations for students (I assume you aren't "waiving" the core clinical rotations based on previous PA coursework/experience...that would most definitely frighten me)... halfway done their third year they will take COMLEX II/Step II.

If they are doing their core rotations during 3rd year, how can they travel to do audition rotations or have time available to fly for interviews?

I would even support NP -> MD if they satisfy the same requirements as the PA -> MD path. Knowing the NP's and how they don't like to actually put in the work but instead like to use propaganda to convince anyone dumb enough to listen that they are "good enough", I doubt the NP's would support a NP -> MD path.

I don't think nursing would do NP-to-MD bridge. Doing so necessitates nurses to accept that nursing model is the same as medical model. NPs were able to increase their scope of practice partly because of their assertion of the unique training in "nursing" model. But anyway&#8230; It's up to MD/DO to initiate the bridge anyway. It's their turfs. And with so much opposition from MD and med students toward the DNP program, I highly doubt they will embrace NP->MD (which is probably a good strategy to kill DNP as you suggested). Many NPs students are middle-aged. These groups probably won't be interested in NP->MD (not because they don't like to actually put in the work) but the young ones might.

I hope nursing will learn from this and make their DNP curriculum more rigorous and clinical-oriented.

I am still missing how this can really work

core rotations start the summer after yr #1.
from the lecom website:
the first year of didactic instruction is immediately followed by 8 weeks of primary care clinical clerkships instead of the standard two month summer break. Students then return to the second year of didactic instruction from August through May before finishing their program with the final year of clinical clerkships.

Clinical Clerkships
As prior clinical clerkships of PA Programs lack specific osteopathic manipulative training, students matriculating within APAP will participate in early clinical clerkship exposure with two four- week Primary Care rotations, one being in Family Medicine with an osteopathic physician whose concentration is manipulative medicine. The second four weeks will be a primary care rotation in pediatrics, family medicine or internal medicine. Students will then return to complete the second year of didactic studies. Following the second year of didactic studies, students will finish their training with 48 weeks of clinical clerkships that include OB/GYN, Psychiatry, Surgery, Ambulatory Medicine, Emergency Medicine,
Rural/underserved Medicine and a sub-internship rotation in the field of study chosen as their residency choice. Overall, eighty two weeks of didactic curriculum and 56 weeks of clinical clerkships provides a total of 138 weeks of instruction.

core rotations start the summer after yr #1.
from the lecom website:
the first year of didactic instruction is immediately followed by 8 weeks of primary care clinical clerkships instead of the standard two month summer break. Students then return to the second year of didactic instruction from August through May before finishing their program with the final year of clinical clerkships.

Clinical Clerkships
As prior clinical clerkships of PA Programs lack specific osteopathic manipulative training, students matriculating within APAP will participate in early clinical clerkship exposure with two four- week Primary Care rotations, one being in Family Medicine with an osteopathic physician whose concentration is manipulative medicine. The second four weeks will be a primary care rotation in pediatrics, family medicine or internal medicine. Students will then return to complete the second year of didactic studies. Following the second year of didactic studies, students will finish their training with 48 weeks of clinical clerkships that include OB/GYN, Psychiatry, Surgery, Ambulatory Medicine, Emergency Medicine,
Rural/underserved Medicine and a sub-internship rotation in the field of study chosen as their residency choice. Overall, eighty two weeks of didactic curriculum and 56 weeks of clinical clerkships provides a total of 138 weeks of instruction.

This still doesnt address how students will have time to study for Step I-II(most students at least get 2-3 weeks to study for these exams)/Complex I-II, have time for audition rotations, and travel for interviews.

This still doesnt address how students will have time to study for Step I-II(most students at least get 2-3 weeks to study for these exams)/Complex I-II, have time for audition rotations, and travel for interviews.

There is no requirement for a DO to take USMLE steps. Many do, but it requires no additional studying when studying for COMLEX steps, as they are basically one in the same.

ACGME residencies... please correct me if I'm wrong, are allopathic residencies (which DOs are available to apply for), but require Steps 1-2, correct? So, these students would have to take Step 1-2 in addition to COMLEX 1-2 (if they desired a ACGME residency) in a very short time frame (If I remember correctly, DO residencies are accredited by AOA)

I am still missing how this can really work:

Take COMLEX I/Step I at the end of second year.

3rd year consists of the "core" rotations for students (I assume you aren't "waiving" the core clinical rotations based on previous PA coursework/experience...that would most definitely frighten me)... halfway done their third year they will take COMLEX II/Step II.

If they are doing their core rotations during 3rd year, how can they travel to do audition rotations or have time available to fly for interviews?

Yes, ACGME are allopathic residencies, although the number of combined allopathic/osteopathic residencies are increasing. Many allopathic residencies do not require the USMLE and accept the COMLEX as each demonstrates competency of basic medical knowledge. The best thing to do would be to contact any residency you are looking into to ask if they accept only the USMLE or both.

You are correct, COMLEX 1 in the 2nd year. COMLEX 2 CE and PE in the third year. All institutional policies stay intact for interviewing during rotations as students are in their final year. They are granted time off from rotations to do interviewing. Keep in mind, PAs in this program have had minimally 48 weeks of clinical rotations at PAs. Typically it will be many more including clinical work experience. That training allows for acceleration of this program.

Thank you.

I guess it depends on how many programs they are applying to. But with travel time most people basically wouldn't be able to do a rotation during December and one of January/November. Doing 20 interviews is about 30-40 days of time considering flying in, and that there are only interviews on certain days. I just don't understand how you do a rotation during that.

I guess it depends on how many programs they are applying to. But with travel time most people basically wouldn't be able to do a rotation during December and one of January/November. Doing 20 interviews is about 30-40 days of time considering flying in, and that there are only interviews on certain days. I just don't understand how you do a rotation during that.

you are good enough that you only do 5 interviews.....:)

you are good enough that you only do 5 interviews.....:)

Since half of them are required to enter primary care, they won't need to interview more than 3-4 places.