Pacific University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTtoBe01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering who all is applying to Pacific University and what your stats are. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to Pacific.
Cum. GPA: 3.71
Pre-req: 3.76
Observation hours: 56

What are your stats? Do you know when they do interviews?

I applied to Pacific. GPA 3.3, still taking pre-reqs not sure about my GPA there but going to retake A&P I bc I got a C. All other pre-reqs so far are As. 200hrs in OT and few hundreds in other areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied (out of state, not sure if that's an admissions consideration at Pacific). Cumulative GPA: 3.7, Prereq 3.8. I have 104 OT hours, and a few hundred hours as an assistant in a health psychology lab.

Hey everyone,
I just got invited to an interview at Pacific in February. Has anyone been invited to an interview or already had their interview? It looks like they have a writing component to the interview and I am interested to find out more about it if anyone has any additional information!
Thanks!

I was also invited to interview (Feb 9), so I'm very curious about this as well! I think I remember reading that last year they were given 30 min to write a paragraph or two about why they want to go into OT... not sure if this was the topic for everyone or if it varied.

Good to know! Thanks for the info! My interview is on the same day so maybe we will run into each other!

Hey everyone,
I just got invited to an interview at Pacific in February. Has anyone been invited to an interview or already had their interview? It looks like they have a writing component to the interview and I am interested to find out more about it if anyone has any additional information!
Thanks!

When did you submit your application?? Also, did you hear via email or mail?

I sent my application in (paper, via mail) around the middle of November and heard back via email.

Does anyone know if Pacific's doctorate program is still accredited? Their Master's program was and is still listed on the AOTA website as accredited... however, now the masters program has turned into the doctorate program...still accredited?

Does anyone know if Pacific's doctorate program is still accredited? Their Master's program was and is still listed on the AOTA website as accredited... however, now the masters program has turned into the doctorate program...still accredited?

From what I understand (and according to AOTA and the Pacific website), their OTD program is in "developing" status. This means they are accepting students and that ACOTE will be on-site at Pacific in 2014/2015 to do an evaluation to determine accreditation. In other words, their OTD program is not yet accredited. However, their MOT is accredited up until 2016/2017. Here's what Pacific has to say about this on their website:

"The School of OT began the transition from a Masters entry-level degree to a Doctor of OT (OTD) in the fall of 2012 with the expected graduation of the first class of OTD students for August 2015. Program accreditation is a multistep process, the first step of which (application for accreditation) has been successful. The expected date for a decision from ACOTE regarding our accreditation status is the summer of 2014. Based on current accreditation status of the MOT program through 2017, graduates are assured of eligibility for certification and practice."

So a worst-case scenario for a student accepted this year would be that Pacific does not receive accreditation for their OTD program and the student would have to settle for an MOT degree instead. With all that being said, I don't think their students have to worry about them not receiving accreditation for their OTD program. After all, their program was first established in 1984 so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I understand (and according to AOTA and the Pacific website), their OTD program is in "developing" status. This means they are accepting students and that ACOTE will be on-site at Pacific in 2014/2015 to do an evaluation to determine accreditation. In other words, their OTD program is not yet accredited. However, their MOT is accredited up until 2016/2017. Here's what Pacific has to say about this on their website:

"The School of OT began the transition from a Masters entry-level degree to a Doctor of OT (OTD) in the fall of 2012 with the expected graduation of the first class of OTD students for August 2015. Program accreditation is a multistep process, the first step of which (application for accreditation) has been successful. The expected date for a decision from ACOTE regarding our accreditation status is the summer of 2014. Based on current accreditation status of the MOT program through 2017, graduates are assured of eligibility for certification and practice."

So a worst-case scenario for a student accepted this year would be that Pacific does not receive accreditation for their OTD program and the student would have to settle for an MOT degree instead. With all that being said, I don't think their students have to worry about them not receiving accreditation for their OTD program. After all, their program was first established in 1984 so I'm sure they know what they're doing.

Hope that helps!
awesome! thank you so much for all the helpful information! :)

You're welcome! Pacific is my top school so I have tried to find out as much as possible about them! Glad I could help out!

Does anyone know if there are additional interviews? Pacific received my application on Jan 3rd and I did not get anything yet.

I wonder if they are doing interviews with those who had their applications in by the preferred application deadline and depending on who they accept from the preferred, they will then interview those from the final application deadline? Just speculation but maybe that is what it is.

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow! I will be there with you... Anyone have any pointers for us??

I did the Pacific Interview last year and you have nothing to worry about! They do their best to help you be comfortable and they spend a lot of time and energy helping you to learn more about the program.

Last year we each had a 15 minute individual interview as well as a really short writing sample, but other than that they do tours, lunch, ppt presentations, etc.

Also, they did a second interview round last year and waited to notify me of my acceptance until after that round.

Best of luck to all of you!

Are you currently a student at Pacific? How do you like their program? Do you remember the topic for the writing sample?

I will be there too! Pretty excited! Somebody told me that the writing sample is a paragraph or two on why you want to be an OT. Good luck to all of us!
:)

Do they just have the 1 interview day?

I was at the interview last Saturday, and they said they'd be doing a second round of interviews in a few weeks. There were 48 people at the first interview, but they didn't say how many would be invited to the second.

I was at the interview last Saturday, and they said they'd be doing a second round of interviews in a few weeks. There were 48 people at the first interview, but they didn't say how many would be invited to the second.

Oh good! Thank you for the information! :)

Just so you know, I emailed Mr. Larsen and he said hopefully the interview invitations will be sent out next week!

Just received an email for an interview!!!! Couldn't be more happy!!'

I also interviewed this past Saturday, Feb 9. How do you feel the interview went? Have you heard if they place more weight on the interview or GPA and letters of Rec?

I also interviewed this past Saturday, Feb 9. How do you feel the interview went? Have you heard if they place more weight on the interview or GPA and letters of Rec?

I feel pretty good about my interview. I had a good rapport with the women who interviewed me, and they seemed to respond well to my answers. Overall I felt like the whole interview day was well-organized and way less stressful than I'd anticipated! I wonder if we crossed paths at all that day? Which color group were you in? I was in red. :)

I haven't heard if they place more weight on any one aspect of a person's app/interview. I think like most OT programs, they try to get an overall feel for what a person will bring to the program, rather than zeroing in on just one factor. But during my interview, they did ask a lot of questions about my research experience from undergrad, so I think that's something they're particularly interested in due to their shift to a doctoral program.

I feel pretty good about my interview. I had a good rapport with the women who interviewed me, and they seemed to respond well to my answers. Overall I felt like the whole interview day was well-organized and way less stressful than I'd anticipated! I wonder if we crossed paths at all that day? Which color group were you in? I was in red. :)

I haven't heard if they place more weight on any one aspect of a person's app/interview. I think like most OT programs, they try to get an overall feel for what a person will bring to the program, rather than zeroing in on just one factor. But during my interview, they did ask a lot of questions about my research experience from undergrad, so I think that's something they're particularly interested in due to their shift to a doctoral program.

You sound like an excellent candidate! What was your research in from undergrad? I felt like my questions were very broad, and in my opinion it made it more difficult to answer (at least more so than my interview at MWU). I was in the salmon color group, which was the last group to interview. I agree, I think they do try to get an overall feel for the candidate, but I think everyone at the interviews are highly qualified and would bring something unique to the program. It makes me curious how they decide who to offer a seat to.

Did you apply to other programs?

You sound like an excellent candidate! What was your research in from undergrad? I felt like my questions were very broad, and in my opinion it made it more difficult to answer (at least more so than my interview at MWU). I was in the salmon color group, which was the last group to interview. I agree, I think they do try to get an overall feel for the candidate, but I think everyone at the interviews are highly qualified and would bring something unique to the program. It makes me curious how they decide who to offer a seat to.

Did you apply to other programs?

Thank you! :) My research was in a health psychology lab, looking at undergraduate stress factors and how they correlated with cardiovascular health (our participants wore heart monitors for 3 days straight and took hourly surveys about their activities and stress levels). It was pretty interesting, and now looking back I'm SO glad I ended up in a health psych lab, without even knowing at that point that I wanted to go into a health-related field!

I agree, the interview questions were very broad. I think in some ways, the interview is just to see how you are socially, if that makes sense. Like after reading your app, they already have a good sense of how you'd do in the program academically, so the interview is to see whether your personality and communication style would be a good fit for their program. That's just my theory on the whole thing, anyway!

Besides Pacific, I applied to the University of Washington and Eastern Washington University. Where else did you apply?

I just got an invite for the interview, too!

Last edited:
Thank you! :) My research was in a health psychology lab, looking at undergraduate stress factors and how they correlated with cardiovascular health (our participants wore heart monitors for 3 days straight and took hourly surveys about their activities and stress levels). It was pretty interesting, and now looking back I'm SO glad I ended up in a health psych lab, without even knowing at that point that I wanted to go into a health-related field!

I agree, the interview questions were very broad. I think in some ways, the interview is just to see how you are socially, if that makes sense. Like after reading your app, they already have a good sense of how you'd do in the program academically, so the interview is to see whether your personality and communication style would be a good fit for their program. That's just my theory on the whole thing, anyway!

Besides Pacific, I applied to the University of Washington and Eastern Washington University. Where else did you apply?

Wow, that is really interesting research. Where did you do your undergraduate work at? I would love to hear about the results of your research (perhaps if we both get accepted). True, I think they want to see that you are capable of interacting with peers in addition to having me the requirements.

Do you have an interview at EWU on March 2? If so, I will see you there! I applied to EWU, Pacific and Midwestern University. So far I have been accepted to MWU.

Wow, that is really interesting research. Where did you do your undergraduate work at? I would love to hear about the results of your research (perhaps if we both get accepted). True, I think they want to see that you are capable of interacting with peers in addition to having me the requirements.

Do you have an interview at EWU on March 2? If so, I will see you there! I applied to EWU, Pacific and Midwestern University. So far I have been accepted to MWU.

Congratulations on your MWU acceptance! Is that your first choice program?

I went to Western Washington University for my undergrad. :) And I agree, it was a really interesting lab to be a part of! Here's a link to the lab's website, if you'd like to learn more: http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/~lehmanb2/

And yes, I will also be interviewing at EWU next Saturday! I'm really excited for it, actually. I feel like the group interviews will be less intimidating after Pacific's one-on-one interviews. Did you see the schedule for Eastern's interview day? I love that they get the actual interview out of the way so early!

So are you from WA as well? Where did you do your undergrad?

Congratulations on your MWU acceptance! Is that your first choice program?

I went to Western Washington University for my undergrad. :) And I agree, it was a really interesting lab to be a part of! Here's a link to the lab's website, if you'd like to learn more: http://myweb.facstaff.wwu.edu/~lehmanb2/

And yes, I will also be interviewing at EWU next Saturday! I'm really excited for it, actually. I feel like the group interviews will be less intimidating after Pacific's one-on-one interviews. Did you see the schedule for Eastern's interview day? I love that they get the actual interview out of the way so early!

So are you from WA as well? Where did you do your undergrad?

Thank you, I actually think Pacific is going to be my top choice but I am keeping an open mind going into EWU's interview. I am finishing my undergrad right now at Eastern Oregon University, I will graduate in June.

Yes, the structure of EWU interview appears to be much less intimidating. At Midwestern we interviewed first thing too which helped me relax throughout the rest of the day. I am actually from Eastern Oregon. Where in WA are you from?

Do you know if anyone has heard from Pacific yet? Where is your top choice?

Does anyone know how many people were at the second interview? Or how many total applicants were interviewed? Also does anyone know when we will hear back? The site says sometime in March...thanks!

I heard it was between 100 and 120 but in a class of only 32 that makes a big difference

There were around 60 people interviewed at this last March interview :)
You should hear around mid-late march but can be as soon as a week after your interview. Good luck!

I wonder how far they usually go on the waiting lists.

Last edited:
I interviewed in February and I believe there was 64 that day. How did everyone like the program? Has anyone applied to other schools? Would people mind posting their stats?

Hello- I was checking this thread daily to see if anyone had heard back from Pacific until last week when I got a call accepting me into the program!!! :soexcited: Since I thought that this program would be a really good fit for me, I am relieved and excited they think so too! I had interviewed on Feb. 9th and honestly I was so nervous, I hadn't thought I presented myself well at all...

Anyway, from what I gathered, they met to review all the applicants who interviewed in February/March just last week, so don't give up hope!

Ok so stats are:
GPA: 3.8
Volunteer hours: 110 in 3 different settings (pediatric, SNF/ acute inpatient care, public school) - but when I had called before I turned in my application to see exactly how many hours they were looking for in applicants, they informed me that it was less about hours and more about your experience volunteering and your passion for the OT field.

Last edited:
Hello- I was checking this thread daily to see if anyone had heard back from Pacific until last week when I got a call accepting me into the program!!! :soexcited: It was my first acceptance so far, and since I thought that this program would be a really good fit for me, I am relieved and excited they think so too! I had interviewed on Feb. 9th and honestly I was so nervous, I hadn't thought I presented myself well at all...

Anyways, from what I gathered, they met to review all the applicants who interviewed in February just last week, so don't give up hope!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats on acceptance! I found out on Saturday that I was accepted as well! I interviewed Feb 9, and the waiting process was very stressful.

My stats: Prereq GPA: 4.0
Overall GPA 3.87
Hours: 2,000 + hours as an Aide in an outpatient clinic
Hours observed at inpatient hospital, elementary school, and hand therapist

RuralOT, did you find out you were accepted via a phone call as well? How are those of you accepted finding out? Thanks!

I just received an email from Pacific University and I made top tier on the waitlist!! :soexcited:

Honestly, my GPA is only like a 3.2 but I have a lot of experience. I am so excited! I think Pacific's program actually does look at the whole applicant not just grades.

Last edited:
I just received an email from Pacific University and I made top tier on the waitlist!! :soexcited:

Honestly, my GPA is only like a 3.3 but I have a lot of experience. I am so excited! I think Pacific actually does look at the whole person!

Congrats! Sounds like you have a great chance of getting in! :)

I was also received an email from Pacific that I am waitlisted at Tier 3... so my chances are so very slim... :( If there is about 60 people on the waitlist and 15 in each tier.. then there are at least 30 people in front of me.......

I am also in Tier 3of the waitlist. Luckily I was accepted into another school!

I also received an email telling me I made Tier 1 on the waitlist. :) I'm pretty pleased with that; it sounds like it was a really competitive year for Pacific's program!