Pamela Allen, Howard University NCPA Rotation Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCPA

National Community Pharmacists Association
Partner Organization
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the NCPA Student Affairs Site

Welcome to NCPA!

I know at this point you are wondering what this fascinating journey ahead of you has in store. I want to let you know that this rotation has been an amazing and enriching educational opportunity. The experiences that you have during your time here will help equip you with the tools that you need for a successful pharmacy career. Whether you chose to go into pharmacy ownership or not, this rotation has a culmination of learning opportunities that will lead down the path you choose to take. There is a chance to learn more about association management, structure and operation of associations and the network that you will build here will be invaluable to your future. You will get in inside behind-the-scenes look of at the benefit and services provided by a pharmacy association as well as how they function. You will have the unique honor to meet and sit down with key leaders in pharmacy from various backgrounds that will shed insight on what they do and their vision for independent pharmacy.

You are able to tailor your projects to your interests and you will have various resources to use to aid you in doing so.

In this short time I have already had the chance to work on continuing education programs for pharmacists, learn first hand independent pharmacy management and operations strategies, take part in the management institute, contribute to presentations for the pharmacy community, meet with CEO’s and other key leaders in pharmacy and association work.

During my rotation and one of my most memorable highlights was the chance to attend a JCPP-Joint Commission of Pharmacy Practitioners meeting with all the presidents and CEO’s of all the pharmacy organizations in the US at one table sharing their organization visions and the impact of their organization on students in pharmacy and cultivating their future. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity that I would only have experienced through my rotation here at NCPA.

Another great part is sharing the beauty and history of being in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. The city is such an amazing and progressive place to be! There are spectacular restaurants and theatres here as well as a gorgeous waterfront. You are also steps away from the famous Apothecary Museum. For your convenience, we have left some metro cards for you that will help in your travels.

NCPA is a wonderful elective rotation so that you are able to explore the alternative yet rewarding careers in pharmacy. Independent pharmacy is definitely the path to take! ;)

I wish you the very best and I’m sure you will enjoy your experience here just as much as I have!

Pamela D. Allen, MBA
Doctor of Pharmacy Candidate 2009
Howard University
Washington, DC

Members don't see this ad.