part -1 in july 2004...........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys,
I am telling you it is not tough to get that magic number. I think the materials to read are
1. Kaplan book.
2. Decks
3. Released papers.

I think every One reads all of these, but the thing is how u guys read. My suggestion is to read the kaplan first either once or twice. Then go for the decks and then to the previous released papers. The other suggestion i can give you guys is, while going thru the decks and the previous papers, mark the tough ones and those u think r tricky and traps. So when ur repeating again, no need to go thru all of them. By doing this u people can save lot of time and energy by not going through the same ones again and again. This is what i did when i was preparing and i hope this works well for you guys too. And one more suggestion is , u have to go thru all of those 3 parts atleast 3 times before going for the exam. Then u will be confident and u can think, if i cant get that magic number no one can get it. :clap: :clap: :clap:
It is not overconfidence, but it will make ur goal easier.
By the way this is my way of preparation.

All the best to you all and have a nice dAY.

Members don't see this ad.

i diagree with that though it dosent hurt to study anything related to dentistry for the exam but the fact is if you want to cover kaplan you have to spend months reviewing it with a defect in recalling the material it contains because its so extensive than you need at the NBDE,but i suggest that you can use it as a reference ,use the decks or what ever and then get back to kaplan to undestand what you cant understand from the decks.

Let's poll Kaplan usefulness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello to all
Is it possible for anyone who passed part one with flying colors to give advice for persons like me I passed BDS about five years ago and will be appearing for part 1 in coming july
I have two kids under age 5 and all house hold responsibilities i get very little time to study
I need advice from u people what to study and where should i start
I mean about kaplan book
I know dental decks and past papers are very very imp
but i am confused how to overcome and finish this course and how can i get these magical numbers
Thanks any help would be appreciated

sadaf my suggestion to you that you start from this coming week reviewing the dental decks,take the each bunch or part and start arranging the them according to the specific subject(ex.in anatomy collect the papers of nervous system togeather) this way was really helpful to me during my prep.try to cover them thouroughly as possible,keep repeat them until you feel that you master the information and that you are able to manipulate the information in solving qustions,the material is extensive,thats why you have to repeat as more as you can and need,put a daily sqhedulae and pace your self by it,hopefully you will do well.

Hi Krishhh n toothlord
Thanx a ton 4 describing ur study pattern n tips so nicely:) .Very sweet of u guys:clap: .In general it seems there's a conflicting opinion regardin kaplan....but perhaps that can be an individual choice.....meggs idea of polling 4 kaplan is good!!!:cool:
once again thanx guys.......Good luck Vth ur admissions n in ur future endeavours:thumbup:

After I read the decks once ,during my second reading I divide them into two groups..the first group comprised of the decks that I thought were easy and i wouldn't forget and in the second group I put the one's that I thought were tough.
When in doubt I put them in the second group.Then subsequently I read the second group only and keep transfering the deck from Group two to one.
That way I didn't spend much time revising the things I already knew.
Hope this helps..
take care:)

hi............................
thanks alot to both of you..........
all the best ........ and congrats.:clap:

Hi ,
i could see different study pattern here by different persons. It is interesting. Pinktooth's preparation is good and i think thatswhy u got 94. isnt it. Any way all the best to all of you including the meetlife.

Thank you toothlord and all for good advices.

Hi pinktooth,
Thanx for sharing ur study pattern....all u read were only papers n decks?did u refer any texts or.... any references!?should we do all the released papers...are the recent ones n '80's ones enough?. .'cos i heard old '70's papers aren't that good(i really dunno in what sense...!!:confused: ).guess am askin too many Qs at a time!!!anybody's input on this is also higly appreciated!!
then pinktooth i guess u r all set for ur BU interview....i din't hear from u later.....Goodluck for ur interview n once again,plz lemme know if i can be of any help:)

Hi,
i dont think any one can get an excellent score by just reading the decks and previous papers. i CAN BET ON THAT, cos if every one can study them , then why cant every pne is not getting that magic number. A person CAN get 90 by reading only decks and previous papers, but my point is that a person who studies more than the decks and previous papers will surely land in that magic number compared to those who just read those two. If the moderator or some one can post a thread reagrding those who scored more than 90, u will see what they have studied. I bet that they just didnt study decks and previous papers.

Lets wait for a poll

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been sometime since i last logged in....but i was so glad to read all the tips abt studying pattern ....n getting the magical number...:clap: .I may sound pessimistic,but i've never seen 80's in my lifetime.,forget 90's:rolleyes: .With a memory as bad as mine,i don't think i can remeber thngs frm decks ,kaplan n papers only...but i was hoping reading that sd b fine....but after reading wat krishhhh has told i'm so tensed n scared
Krishhhh,pinktooth,toothlord...n others too...plzz..tell wat more sd v refer to other then those decks,papers n kaplan.DO u thnk the time is sufficient for an average person [mentally]to give the xam...oh!! god i'm all scared.everyone's input will b appreciated!!!

thanks
gorur[

HI
I'M PLANNING TO GIVE IT IN JULY 2004,STARTING PREP TODAY, KINDLY LET ME KNOW IS IT ADVISABLE TO USE TEXTBOOKS OR KAPLAN.....IF TEXT, WHICH ONE'S FOR WHICH SUBJECT...I NEED TO SCORE THAT MAGICAL NUMBER...PLS HELP.POST IN MY PM

Originally posted by wiztooth
Hi pinktooth,
Thanx for sharing ur study pattern....all u read were only papers n decks?did u refer any texts or.... any references!?should we do all the released papers...are the recent ones n '80's ones enough?. .'cos i heard old '70's papers aren't that good(i really dunno in what sense...!!:confused: ).guess am askin too many Qs at a time!!!anybody's input on this is also higly appreciated!!
then pinktooth i guess u r all set for ur BU interview....i din't hear from u later.....Goodluck for ur interview n once again,plz lemme know if i can be of any help:)
Hi wiztooth,
I refered textbooks before decks,I was just telling the pattern I used for decks.
I did anat from Snells,
physio from Ganong,
Biochem from Lipincott's,
Microbio from Javetz,
DA from Wheelers
Patho from Baby Robbins..
These were the basic books I studied from and then there were few more that I referred..
Reading the text is very important and i am not sugggesting anyone to just mug up the decks..
Take care

Originally posted by krishhhhh
hi,
do i know u?
:love: :love: :love:
And yes Kriss you know me!!I am Pinktooth:D
Had mercury poisoning when I was kid so all my teeth are pink,like my cheeks
pm me,
take care;)

hi gorur
dont worry about what we posted. The thing is to get that magic number. And i think every one doesnt have the same memory and it all depends on indivisual person. As far as i think, one needs an average prepapration of 3 months to get that magic number. And in the three months i think u can divide them as per ur grasping power and what books u r reading. So for example if u are reading kaplan, decks, previous papers, u can do kaplan for the first month and 20 days for decks and 15 days for papers. And i think the balance days u can plan as per ur confidence.

i hope this will work for u and all the best

Hi pinktooth,
i didnt know that due to the mercury poisoning teeth will become pink. r u sure. i thought that due to the internal resorption they become in that way( pink tooth of mammary). isnt it. Let me know what is correct. I still think i know you :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
i will pm you
bye bye and all the best for your CWRU

Originally posted by pinktooth
Hi iztooth,
I refered textbooks before decks,I was just telling the pattern I used for decks.
I did anat from Snells,
physio from Ganong,
Biochem from Lipincott's,
Microbio from Javetz,
DA from Wheelers
Patho from Baby Robbins..
These were the basic books I studied from and then there were few more that I referred..
Reading the text is very important and i am not sugggesting anyone to just mug up the decks..
Take care

Hi pinktooth,
I was surprised that u did so many thngs for the step one. I should deeply appreciate you. All the best

Yep they do..
In fact mercury poisoning causes the so called Pink's disease of the teeth..
But don't worry I was neither poisoned nor the teeth are resorbed..
:D
take care;)

Hi pinktooth
Thanx for ur info pinkie....n ur stats show that all ur hard work paid off...hope u also get into the school of ur choice...upenn might be!!:) Goodluck:thumbup:

Hi krishh,
the study pattern u jus described seems perfect,but is it really possible to finish 1000+ pages of kaplan in jus 1 month n around 1000decks in 20 days!!wondering how much efort are we supposed to keep+pissed+ ....hope we can work it out:confused:

Thanx a zillion for ALL u guys, for all of ur valuable suggestions which are literally boosting up our morale:love:

hi di..........do well......all the best...........i am proud of u......
everybody has sent u wishes for BU.................
ok your cheeks are pink...i agree to that fully..........:love:
:love:
may GOD bless u.......all my prayers are with u........
ok as far as ganong is concerned it takes too long to read one chapter.............
SNELLS.......did u do head and neck or limbas and abdo as well....
see ya......
tke care......

Ok guys.....sorry I have been away for quite some time but news for all of u.

the Computerised exam starts in April and u can register online right now....the fees are 215 USD.

any one knows the list of centres pls lemme know

also is there any change of pattern

gpg

hi ...long time no see???????????????????
too busy preparing?????
ok how is it going on????finished anat??
i have started with physio...reprints...do not have the heart to start biochem..............
and yes that memory thing....do not worry........we all are same with minor differences...........so keep studying.........do very well....
all the best..
stay in touch and do not disappear the way u did this time:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by meetlife
ok as far as ganong is concerned it takes too long to read one chapter.............
see ya......
tke care......

Hi meetlife,
i had a question whether u also have a the pink disease of pinky. i am just kidding.

Enjoy

All the best for ur new subjest

Hi krishh,
the study pattern u jus described seems perfect,but is it really possible to finish 1000+ pages of kaplan in jus 1 month n around 1000decks in 20 days!!wondering how much efort are we supposed to keep+pissed+ ....hope we can work it out:confused:

Hi
i think it is not that easy to finish so much if u want to get that magic number u have the burn the midnight oil. So all the best

:clap: :clap: :clap: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Originally posted by gpg
Ok guys.....sorry I have been away for quite some time but news for all of u.

the Computerised exam starts in April and u can register online right now....the fees are 215 USD.

any one knows the list of centres pls lemme know

also is there any change of pattern

gpg
hi gpg,
yeah,its gr8 that we can get done with it soon now,if we want to..
u can know 'bout the test centres at www.2test.com
as far as i know,tre s no change of pattern till the september 2004.but i 'll always recommend u to keep urself updating with first hand information,by calling up ADA.but for centres ,u can check tat site.

After I read the decks once ,during my second reading I divide them into two groups..the first group comprised of the decks that I thought were easy and i wouldn't forget and in the second group I put the one's that I thought were tough.
When in doubt I put them in the second group.Then subsequently I read the second group only and keep transfering the deck from Group two to one.
That way I didn't spend much time revising the things I already knew.
Hope this helps..
take care:)
I AM TRYING THIS.ITS ONE OF THE BEST STUDYTIPS.ITS SAVING TIME AND BRAINCELLS.cant thank you enough.:)

Thnks a zillion!!that really did boost up my morale...:love: ...Really appreciate u'r advice.....hope it wrks out for me...:confused: All the best for u'r future:thumbup:

hai pinktooth!!

Hats off to u!!:clap: :clap: u really do deserve that score..hope u've success in all u'r future endevours.wishing u luck..

gorur

Hi guys,

I am interested in selling Kaplan NDB book for part1 2003 edition. This book is very helpful and in excellent condition. I studied for my exams for 2 months and am selling since I passed the exam. If any one is interested in buying one, contact me at my pm or
[email protected]

Good luck,
nupur

SEEMS LIKE U'VE MISSED ME..;) ..don't u worry ...hope to keep MEETING u all u'r LIFE.:D

As for studies,,it's at a turtle's pace..but in my case slow n steady doesn't win the race:laugh: .

Not yet finished anat ....finished only GI section in all sub..that's pretty slow uh!!
As for biochem..it;s so dry:smuggrin: Did u finish pysio frm text b4 doin the papers r just doin the papers?how do u find the reprints...?r u able to answer most of it?.so many questions..sorry..

Study well ...see u around..

Hi,
I have posted my question at the kaplan book poll..thought that I can post my question here as all of us are currently preparing for the upcoming july part1 exams ..regarding kaplan online "Q" bank ..that is question bank..for part1 ndbe ..has anyone enrolled in that and if they are finding it useful??..
Thanks
Toothzone:confused:

hi gorur......
well i do miss u:oops:
ok...that was good...i enjoyed it and really appreciate that u want to keep MEETING me throughout your LIFE .......................
ok here are the answers...........1.well... iam still doing physio text..........did respi and cell and git..........not papers.........
2.i find reprints fine.....but i am not able to answer all the ques.....i have to check 4 answers.........so do not worry.......3.and u r welcome witrh any no of questions.........all the best do well...

hi krish.........i do not have pink teeth...i have sheet white.......
pathognomic of DENTISTS.............
WELL thanks for ur suggestions......

Hi

I'll be taking the test this July 2004. Is there a link where combined study is done for the Part 1 exams

cheers:confused:

Welcome to the kingdom of SDN n join the part1 warriors in fighting the battle against nbde...:thumbup: ...

I dunno any link for combined study..[if u get to know ..plzz...tell me too] but of crs ppl xchange their study pattern ,no of hrs they r putting n wat they r doin etc..n motivate each other in studying n to keep goin....

wishing us best
gorur:)

Originally posted by gorur
Welcome to the kingdom of SDN n join the part1 warriors in fighting the battle against nbde...:thumbup: ...

Cool post gorur :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

in b/w.....our hearty welcome princess:)

That's a real warm welcome. :p Thanks!
Now somebody please tell me how to get a 90%+pity+

hi princess............welcome......
wel i do not know if there is any such link.......but we keep each other informed abt our progress through this post..............
and yes above 90 ...thats what all of us are working towards.........so keep studying..........if u want suggestions and information regarding the study material.........check the previous posts in the same thread..or type part -1 in search........and u will get the info(sam posted that)...check that....ur most welcome.......
all the best...
do well:clap:

Originally posted by krishhhhh
Hi meetlife,
i had a question whether u also have a the pink disease of pinky. i am just kidding.

Enjoy

All the best for ur new subjest
Hi Krishh,
whats pink disease of pinky??
Guess didn't come accross that while studying;)

Originally posted by meetlife
see ya......
tke care......
Thanks for the best wishes meetlife,
Yes I followed Snells' for anat.Read head and neck cover to cover and rest of it just superficially and selective reading..
Take care

well.................what's up????? i guess all are studying hard.........
in my coll lib i came across these books.........they are relly helpful...
1.DENTAL ANATOMY..its relevance to dentistry by JULIAN B. WOELFEL and RICKNE C. SCHIED .this ia good book for those who hate DA ......(includes me and wiztooth)
and yes..........there are tables with comparisons of different teeth.......
2.COMPACT DISC FOR DA is available with New edition of WHEELERS.......its very useful.......u can ZOOM
the real images of a tooth to view the different apects............and there is asmall part abt mandibular movements.
3.ESSENTIALS OF MICROBIOLOGY FOR DENTAL STUDENTSBY J. BAGG,T.W. MACFARLANE ......some topics like normal flora are good........

ok all the best to all ......if u have any dobts regardi nng books u can ask........
do well

hi there,
can anyone tell me wht is the latest edition of the kaplan book...does a new one come every year....and is there a lot of difference between teh different editions?

Hi Krishh,
whats pink disease of pinky??
Guess didn't come accross that while studying;)

Hi pinktooth (pinky)
i posted that just like that and I was telling that to the meetlife as she posted some thing which makes me think that u guys are pretty close to each other.

All the best:love: :love: :love:

Originally posted by shaya
hi there,
can anyone tell me wht is the latest edition of the kaplan book...does a new one come every year....and is there a lot of difference between teh different editions?

Latest I saw was 2003. Nahh, there's not much difference.