Pathology Route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeremy101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am currently a junior in high school. I plan on going to medical school after my undergrad, I am very interested in pathology ( the other fields that I am also interested in is radiology and neurology). I love working in a laboratory setting and am very passionate about carrying out laboratory processes. I have even shodowed a pathologists and enjoyed my time showdowing him. However, I had many people tell me that that the job market in pathology is bad right now, due to the fact that current pathologist are not retiring at a faster pace. Do you think there will be job openings for me when I graduate from medical school and finish my residency ( which will be around the year 2028). Also, do I need to go to some ivy league school to guarantee a job in pathology? Thanks for answering

Members don't see this ad.

Well unless they start restricting the number of trainees in Pathology, the job market will remain horrendous. Its a simple supply and demand equation and the supply in pathology far exceeds its demand from clinicians

Hi Guys,

I am currently a junior in high school. I plan on going to medical school after my undergrad, I am very interested in pathology ( the other fields that I am also interested in is radiology and neurology). I love working in a laboratory setting and am very passionate about carrying out laboratory processes. I have even shodowed a pathologists and enjoyed my time showdowing him. However, I had many people tell me that that the job market in pathology is bad right now, due to the fact that current pathologist are not retiring at a faster pace. Do you think there will be job openings for me when I graduate from medical school and finish my residency ( which will be around the year 2028).

No one can predict this. This is like predicting who will be the president in 2028. Variables present now make that question immensely difficult, and the likely changes to come to medicine, the field, the economy, the population, etc mean that there are many many unknown variables that will develop and effect the question.

Do not pick a career right now because of your perception of the job market in 12 years. That is a fool's errand. Despite the silly comment in the post above me, the current job market is not "horrendous." And if you want, you can find pretty much every opinion backed up by someone with intelligence and data. Most data I have been presented with show that in another 15 years time the number of pathologists will be far less than the actual demand. But that depends on current conditions continuing and actuarial data. If you could predict this successfully, you could make an amazing career out of that and never have to do anything else.

Also, do I need to go to some ivy league school to guarantee a job in pathology? Thanks for answering

Ivy league schools don't guarantee you anything except a huge tuition bill and the ability to say you went there. The number of people who are impressed by the ivy leagues drastically plummets as soon as you leave the campus. The number of people for whom the name on the diploma matters approaches zero as you leave the campus, unless you go into politics or want to be a judge, at which point it seems to matter a lot.