Payed my way through college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuropsyance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just another late night working on grad school applications. Question.....

I am trying to revise my statement, and cram in all the details of my successes. I have payed for my college eduction (.....well supported myself so I can escape with minimal debt). I'm having trouble fitting everything I want to into my statement, should I just skip this detail of my experiences, or do you think it will help my chances greatly?

Thanks,
Neuropsyance

Members don't see this ad.

Not all that unusual, and not very relevant. I'd skip it. :) Good luck!

Honestly, I think the majority of students payed their own way through college, so it probably wouldn't be too useful to include.

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you spell check your statement before you send it in. "I paid my way through college."

Make sure you spell check your statement before you send it in. "I paid my way through college."

Haha wow, I can't believe I spelled it "payed." Usually, I talk real good Inglish... :D

Honestly, I think the majority of students payed their own way through college, so it probably wouldn't be too useful to include.

I don't think this is true at all. But I also don't know if it belongs in your personal statement. I was advised to include "any job where I worked more than 15 hours a week while in school full-time" on my vita.

I don't think this is true at all. But I also don't know if it belongs in your personal statement. I was advised to include "any job where I worked more than 15 hours a week while in school full-time" on my vita.

It might not be true that the majority did, but I'd say it's certainly not something that makes you stand apart, nor does it really demonstrate why you would succeed as a graduate student. (If you wanted to demonstrate time management skills, you could say something the effect of, "I maintained a GPA of x.x while working x hours per week doing y...")