Pc q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a great thread!

I'll be applying next cycle and I have a question: You said that step scores are not the only thing except for failures and very low scores. What about super high step scores? do they make any difference in sending invites giving that the rest of the application is OK ? do they make the application stand out by any mean?
Super high step scores (like super low ones) serve to get you past (or not past) the initial screening process and then to later help differentiate you from other similarly qualified applicants. They are not going to magically move you to the top of somebody's rank list on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a great thread!

I'll be applying next cycle and I have a question: You said that step scores are not the only thing except for failures and very low scores. What about super high step scores? do they make any difference in sending invites giving that the rest of the application is OK ? do they make the application stand out by any mean?

It's really about the whole submission. I promise. As for step scores, though, 240 and above is considered outstanding.

I'll be around next year, too. ;)

Super high step scores (like super low ones) serve to get you past (or not past) the initial screening process and then to later help differentiate you from other similarly qualified applicants. They are not going to magically move you to the top of somebody's rank list on their own.
It's really about the whole submission. I promise. As for step scores, though, 240 and above is considered outstanding.

I'll be around next year, too. ;)

Makes sense. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I am stuck between choosing one letter writer from my away elective.
Which will strengthen my application?: Good letter from Cards program director (Prof of medicine) versus Outstanding letter from( unknown Assistant professor) (3 years out of fellowship)

Which will strengthen my application?: Good letter from Cards program director (Prof of medicine) versus Outstanding letter from( unknown Assistant professor) (3 years out of fellowship)

The former.

p diddy

Cards PD

How about a letter from an internationally very well known cardiology faculty, chief of a service, with whom i spent 1-2 weeks who agreed to write me a "strong letter" but claimed that he will write in my letter that we only spent 2 weeks together on a service as part of fairness versus unknown academic faculty who has known me for over a year? He rarely writes letters for residents but agreed to write me one... still confused about what to do about it

How about a letter from an internationally very well known cardiology faculty, chief of a service, with whom i spent 1-2 weeks who agreed to write me a "strong letter" but claimed that he will write in my letter that we only spent 2 weeks together on a service as part of fairness versus unknown academic faculty who has known me for over a year? He rarely writes letters for residents but agreed to write me one... still confused about what to do about it

I recommend the well known international. Although he will state only having worked with your for two weeks, his word should hold a lot of weight and I would expect your PD LOR and other LOR (which could be your strong unknown letter writer) to backup the superstar's impression.

Dear ProgCoordinator- I am having some of my attendings write LORs for me. 2 of them are in gastroenterology, but are not that know and are young- one practicing for close to 10 yrs and other for 3-5 yrs, I have another attending, who is the director of internal medicine residency at our hospital, who is not a gastroenterologist and has been practicing for more than 30 years. He might not be known to the GI world. Whose LOR is better to be submitting to the programs.

Dear ProgCoordinator- I am having some of my attendings write LORs for me. 2 of them are in gastroenterology, but are not that know and are young- one practicing for close to 10 yrs and other for 3-5 yrs, I have another attending, who is the director of internal medicine residency at our hospital, who is not a gastroenterologist and has been practicing for more than 30 years. He might not be known to the GI world. Whose LOR is better to be submitting to the programs.
Dear dr12 - I am not ProgCoord but I can count. You can submit 4 LORs to each program. Those 3 plus your current PD and you're golden. Because 3+1=4.

A letter of recommendation from your medicine residency director is mandatory. And as Gutonc pointed out. Can submit 4 letters

ROBINHO is correct. Your 3 LORs must include one from your IM PD. If the IM PD you'd referred to (at your current hospital) is not the IM PD under which you'd trained at your IM training institution, then there is a way to submit it through ERAS as a 4th LOR.

Thank you Gutonc and Robinho. I actually asked 6 attending to write lors for me. I have decided 3 of them- my pd, one other GI attending who has been my mentor, other attending physician with whom I have worked most of my residency and debating on the 4 th lor. I was thinking which of the above would be good as the 4th Lor. Advice please. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Gutonc and Robinho. I actually asked 6 attending to write lors for me. I have decided 3 of them- my pd, one other GI attending who has been my mentor, other attending physician with whom I have worked most of my residency and debating on the 4 th lor. I was thinking which of the above would be good as the 4th Lor. Advice please. Thank you.

If you anticipate both being equally strong, just go with your gut.

But I think there are so many variables to be considered and . FOr example whats the rank of the PRogram Director. FOr example if he is Professor of MEdicine compared to Instructors of medicine (GI guys), then it makes a difference (one of the things I learned in this forum). Also depends on the residency program....I will take a PD letter from medicine from a strong university program any day. And also in assigning...u can consider geography...for example somebody who has been practicing for 30 years and is a PD at lets say NY...am sure will be known somehow on the east coast (becos theoretically he has supported fellowship applications in the past) .

But I think there are so many variables to be considered and . FOr example whats the rank of the PRogram Director. FOr example if he is Professor of MEdicine compared to Instructors of medicine (GI guys), then it makes a difference (one of the things I learned in this forum). Also depends on the residency program....I will take a PD letter from medicine from a strong university program any day. And also in assigning...u can consider geography...for example somebody who has been practicing for 30 years and is a PD at lets say NY...am sure will be known somehow on the east coast (becos theoretically he has supported fellowship applications in the past) .

With regard to a candidate's PD LOR: The academic rank of a PD is not a consideration. Given that the PD LOR is required, we only care that s/he is your PD and what they have to say about the candidate's performance. That said, of course the training program is always a factor.

With regard to a candidate's 4 LOR: The 4th LOR will shore up what the other 3 are vouching for. If a Professor/Chair will submit a bland letter based on little one-on-one experience with the candidate...it will typically be better to choose an effusive LOR written by an Instructor with whom the candidate has had ample working exposure.

With regard to a candidate's PD LOR: The academic rank of a PD is not a consideration. Given that the PD LOR is required, we only care that s/he is your PD and what they have to say about the candidate's performance. That said, of course the training program is always a factor.

With regard to a candidate's 4 LOR: The 4th LOR will shore up what the other 3 are vouching for. If a Professor/Chair will submit a bland letter based on little one-on-one experience with the candidate...it will typically be better to choose an effusive LOR written by an Instructor with whom the candidate has had ample working exposure.

I wasn't talking about his/her PD.
OP already has three letters...PD, and two other attendings.
my understanding is that OP already have a letter from his/her PD but is also considering an additional medicine PD letter versus two unknown GI doctors as 4th doctor

my understanding is that OP already have a letter from his/her PD but is also considering an additional medicine PD letter versus two unknown GI doctors as 4th doctor
Yes exactly- I am thinking if my 4 th lor- from director of medical education who is not the program director vs 2 other unknown GI doctors

I understand programs sometimes have preference to candidates from a particular region/ region where the fellowship is based.
In considering residents from outside that region...what are the most important factors to determine interest....an away rotation in that region versus a Letter of recommendation from an attending from that region?

Hi ProgCoordinator or anyone been through this process. Is there a difference between applying on July 1st vs 15th? I understand programs can't download until 15th but applicants can still turn in from July 1st. any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

I understand programs sometimes have preference to candidates from a particular region/ region where the fellowship is based.
In considering residents from outside that region...what are the most important factors to determine interest....an away rotation in that region versus a Letter of recommendation from an attending from that region?
How will you get one without the other? A LOR from somebody who did fellowship in the Midwest but is now in the NE as an attending will be viewed as a LOR from somebody in the NE...nobody will care where they did their fellowship.

Honestly, the regional bias, while a real thing, is not that big of a deal if you're an otherwise decent applicant. Putting all your eggs in a one rotation/LOR basket is a bad idea in general and there's very little you can do to combat it.

Hi ProgCoordinator or anyone been through this process. Is there a difference between applying on July 1st vs 15th? I understand programs can't download until 15th but applicants can still turn in from July 1st. any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
Programs can only download on 15th so doesn't make diff if u apply on 1st 14th or 15th

Actually from this year the timeline changed! Candidates can only start applying from July 15 (same date programs start downloading).

So long as you apply by each program's deadline you will be fine. Troll their websites to find each program's application deadline.

Just covering all possible bases with the hope of finally answering the question.

The process typically starts with us adjudicating all candidates based on our preferred criteria. Region isn't a factor. Once we get applications scored, we certainly want to interview all of our top scoring files. Again, region isn't a factor. For my program, we won't usually even mention any regional points until we're building our ROL after interviews have concluded. Plus, we won't move someone on the list based on region. When it's even discussed, it's when we're inferring as to a candidate's likelihood to rank us highly on their ROL.

In my experience, regional consideration tends to play a much larger role with programs on the west coast. Perhaps a bit for candidates having trained exclusively in the midwest looking to transition to the east coast, but it's not atypical for that transition to work out.

The process typically starts with us adjudicating all candidates based on our preferred criteria. Region isn't a factor. Once we get applications scored, we certainly want to interview all of our top scoring files. Again, region isn't a factor. For my program, we won't usually even mention any regional points until we're building our ROL after interviews have concluded. Plus, we won't move someone on the list based on region. When it's even discussed, it's when we're inferring as to a candidate's likelihood to rank us highly on their ROL.

In my experience, regional consideration tends to play a much larger role with programs on the west coast. Perhaps a bit for candidates having trained exclusively in the midwest looking to transition to the east coast, but it's not atypical for that transition to work out.

Thanks this answers my doubt.
I did a rotation in a region am interested in. An attending agreed to write me a letter. And though I think that attending s letter might be good I don't think outstanding. I was confused if I should send his letter to every program in that region or just send my strongest letters overall. I guess the answer is the latter

PC, thanks for being around and everything.

I hope I meet you during my fellowship trail (thats only gonna happen if you interview IMGs!!):)

Actually from this year the timeline changed! Candidates can only start applying from July 15 (same date programs start downloading).

But you can apply starting July 1st. I do not know the process last year but we can select programs, assign all documents and even pay starting July 1st

So long as you apply by each program's deadline you will be fine. Troll their websites to find each program's application deadline.

Not to disagree with a PD, but this did not seem to be the case for the GI interview season. A majority of programs already had their interviews done and scheduled by the time the deadline was reached, as some deadlines were quite late in the process.

I advise people to have their application done and ready as soon as PDs can download. I got several interviews very early in the process.

Not to disagree with a PD, but this did not seem to be the case for the GI interview season. A majority of programs already had their interviews done and scheduled by the time the deadline was reached, as some deadlines were quite late in the process.

I advise people to have their application done and ready as soon as PDs can download. I got several interviews very early in the process.

Admittedly, I can only speak with certainty regarding my specific program. Although we fully review all submissions received by deadline, some other programs (and perhaps generally-speaking other subspecialties) may not conduct fully detailed reviews as the submissions roll in through to the program's deadline. A candidate may very well have a bit of an edge by having their full submission ready in ERAS prior to our first download. Or at least the first week or so.

Reactions: 1 user
PC, first off thanks for all the insight.

How often do you hear of a fellowship applicant with either 0 or 1 letters from within that sub-specialty? 2 of my LOR writers have completely blown me off. I asked for letters from them when I worked with them and during research time. They said yes then but I have not received a reply from them or their assistants since the beginning of June. I might be able to scramble one more letter from my clinic preceptor, but that would make me have 3 general IM letters and none from Heme onc. I did ask for appointments with other people in the department and have emailed other faculty within H/O that I have worked with am really struggling with getting a reply from anyone. I'm wondering If should just not bother spending the money on an application if I am out of the game with my LOR situation?

How often do you hear of a fellowship applicant with either 0 or 1 letters from within that sub-specialty? 2 of my LOR writers have completely blown me off. I asked for letters from them when I worked with them and during research time. They said yes then but I have not received a reply from them or their assistants since the beginning of June. I might be able to scramble one more letter from my clinic preceptor, but that would make me have 3 general IM letters and none from Heme onc. I did ask for appointments with other people in the department and have emailed other faculty within H/O that I have worked with am really struggling with getting a reply from anyone. I'm wondering If should just not bother spending the money on an application if I am out of the game with my LOR situation?

Happy to be here! In my experience it's uncommon that all of a candidate's LORs (beyond the PD LOR) aren't from within the sub to which they're applying. You're in a genuinely sucky position, but certainly not out of the game. Bust your hump to score 2 LORs from Hem/Onc. If you absolutely can't secure 2, at least get 1 and the strongest possible from IM.

You may not be totally out of luck with the writers you currently feel have blown you off. It's the time of year when letter writers (and their assistants) are inundated with requests and the subsequent follow-ups by eager applicants. There's a chance that they may still pull through for you. Just not within a preferred timeframe.

That sucks, but you have to be proactive here. Show up at their office, find them in clinic, personally talk to the assistant.

Face to face is key here, if they really know you and like you, they will want to help (and if they don't, you probably don't want their letter anyway).

It is time to move past email. It is crunch time and you need a sense of urgency. Having no heme/onc letters will be a red flag and will be talked about, why risk it?

You need at least one sub-specialty based LOR. 2 is good but at least 1 is mandatory.

That sucks, but you have to be proactive here. Show up at their office, find them in clinic, personally talk to the assistant.

Face to face is key here, if they really know you and like you, they will want to help (and if they don't, you probably don't want their letter anyway).

[\QUOTE]

Yeah.

Dear PC, really appreciate all your valuable feedback. VanNostran's query has gotten me a little worried. I am applying for Pulm/CritCare. Though my research projects are focused on lung ca/smoking/lung nodules, these were mostly done with the Chair of the IM dept, a very well-published person in gen med/epidemiology (papers in the process of being written), and I know she has detailed all the research I've done with her in her LoR though I haven't seen it. 3/4 of my letters (and they're the strongest ones) are from IM, one from an intensivist. I am yet to ask one of our Uni's main pulm people for a letter, and am hesitant as I've worked with him on one project, and we mostly communicated through email.
Would appreciate advice from you, gutonc and others on whether you think this will impact my application negatively.

Dear PC, really appreciate all your valuable feedback. VanNostran's query has gotten me a little worried. I am applying for Pulm/CritCare. Though my research projects are focused on lung ca/smoking/lung nodules, these were mostly done with the Chair of the IM dept, a very well-published person in gen med/epidemiology (papers in the process of being written), and I know she has detailed all the research I've done with her in her LoR though I haven't seen it. 3/4 of my letters (and they're the strongest ones) are from IM, one from an intensivist. I am yet to ask one of our Uni's main pulm people for a letter, and am hesitant as I've worked with him on one project, and we mostly communicated through email.
Would appreciate advice from you, gutonc and others on whether you think this will impact my application negatively.

I'm CVD, so please understand that I'm not nearly as familiar with other IM subs. Hopefully someone from Pulm & Critical Care will speak up. Especially if my advice is not on point. It's my opinion, though, that the IM Chair LOR is not a problem for at least three reasons: Dept. Chair, strong LOR from Dept. Chair, and research mentor.

I suggest pursuing the Pulm LOR. Even if your interactions were primarily via email, he can speak to how your work, work ethic, and whether you saw the project through.

Im GI not pulm/cc, but I guess my question is this: Why is there not a pulm faculty member that could speak to your clinical skills? Did you not work with someone in the MICU or on pulm consults that you got along well with?

"Great guy, fun to be around, works with with patients and colleagues, strong fund of knowledge, etc, etc"

Sounds like you have your chair letter, and your research letter, which is fine to be from gen med faculty. Get a clinical letter from a pulm/cc faculty member.

Thank you PC and IM2GI,appreciate the feedback. We rotate through two non-uni hospitals as well, 12 attendings rotate through every week, and I do have a letter from one of the pulm-crit attendings at the pvt site (former academic attending at ivy league place, sure to write a somewhat decent letter) though not sure how 'strong' it'll be. The place I did do my electives at, the director there writes very generic letters, and I was advised not to use his, and the gen-med faculty letters are sure to be very strong. Sigh! I guess I'll have to use 2 strong IM letters and 2 PCCM not-so-strong ones. My application is clearly geared towards PCCM, and hopefully the programs will see that.

Dear PC, another question. A lot of the fellowship websites list all the requirements for a complete application, and list USMLE scores separately(not sure why). As long as we've given eras the go ahead to release transcripts, I'm assuming our score reports do not need to be separately uploaded, right? Besides, I don't even see a way to attach any extra material to the ERAS application online.
Thank you again for all your time, you rock! I really need our IM program's PC to start doing this though I don't know where she would find the time. All us residents think she probably has 2 brains and 4 hands :)

Dear PC, another question. A lot of the fellowship websites list all the requirements for a complete application, and list USMLE scores separately(not sure why). As long as we've given eras the go ahead to release transcripts, I'm assuming our score reports do not need to be separately uploaded, right? Besides, I don't even see a way to attach any extra material to the ERAS application online.
Thank you again for all your time, you rock! I really need our IM program's PC to start doing this though I don't know where she would find the time. All us residents think she probably has 2 brains and 4 hands :)

If you've released your USMLE transcript to ERAS, we'll see all of your scores. No need for separate uploads.

PC and GutOnc, thank you for all the informative posts over the years, I've gone back and read many of them, and they have been extremely helpful in navigating this process. With the new application season approaching rapidly, I wanted to get your advice and see if there was any change in the perspective on "Carib" grads.

Full Disclosure: I am a Caribbean grad. It's the only blemish on what I think is otherwise, a fairly competitive application for Cards. I went to undergrad at a Top 10 University, did research for a year at a Top Tier University Hospital before medical school, and have worked my tail off the last 6 years for good USMLE scores, good research with publications, and good LORs while in residency at a large community/clinical program. However, I am still a Caribbean grad; I majored in a non-medical field in undergrad, got started late in pre-med, and when the time came, I took the best opportunity available to me.

My dream position would be at that Top Tier University Hospital program, and I am a making a full-court press towards that effort.
1) Would your programs still likely filter me out despite my application?

2) Besides interest emails, are there other steps I can take to improve my chances of getting an interview?

3) I have mentors who either trained or were affiliated with this University Hospital in the past, and have offered to make phone calls on my behalf. When would it be appropriate and advantageous for them to make these calls? Now, or end of July/early August to give me the best chance of getting my foot in the door for an interview, or in late October prior to the rank list?

I may be overthinking this, but I want to make sure I play my cards right (no pun intended ;)). Thank you again for all the advice.

My dream position would be at that Top Tier University Hospital program, and I am a making a full-court press towards that effort.
1) Would your programs still likely filter me out despite my application?

Yes, sorry, but there are too many other qualified applicants. No matter how you try to spin it, you are a Caribbean grad from a community program. Something happened to you along the way and you fell off the path. Your "top 10" undergrad is largely irrelevant at this point. Your goals of a "top tier" cardiology program just are not realistic. You should be focussing on getting a cards spot somewhere.

2) Besides interest emails, are there other steps I can take to improve my chances of getting an interview?

Not really, you are who you are at this point. Fill out your application thoughtfully, write a good personal statement, and apply broadly.

3) I have mentors who either trained or were affiliated with this University Hospital in the past, and have offered to make phone calls on my behalf. When would it be appropriate and advantageous for them to make these calls? Now, or end of July/early August to give me the best chance of getting my foot in the door for an interview, or in late October prior to the rank list?

The phone call in October will not help you if you don't get an interview in the first place. Also, unless your mentors are friends with the cardiology PD, it will likely end up just being an awkward phone call for your mentors and not get you an interview.

I may be overthinking this, but I want to make sure I play my cards right (no pun intended ;)). Thank you again for all the advice.

Happy to be here! In my experience it's uncommon that all of a candidate's LORs (beyond the PD LOR) aren't from within the sub to which they're applying. You're in a genuinely sucky position, but certainly not out of the game. Bust your hump to score 2 LORs from Hem/Onc. If you absolutely can't secure 2, at least get 1 and the strongest possible from IM.

You may not be totally out of luck with the writers you currently feel have blown you off. It's the time of year when letter writers (and their assistants) are inundated with requests and the subsequent follow-ups by eager applicants. There's a chance that they may still pull through for you. Just not within a preferred timeframe.

It is time to move past email. It is crunch time and you need a sense of urgency. Having no heme/onc letters will be a red flag and will be talked about, why risk it?

You need at least one sub-specialty based LOR. 2 is good but at least 1 is mandatory.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up talking most of my LOR writers and/or there assistants. One of the assistants in the H/O department was really proactive and made sure that 2 of my LOR writers finished is ASAP. I have 2 now submitted and ready in ERAS and the other 2 are supposed to be submitted today to the LORP. I finally feel a bit more confident. I'm sure this 4th of July Weekend will have back-logged a ton of letters. Thanks again!